• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

20fysyu.jpg

4jw103.jpg

Title: Just Cause 2
Platforms:pC, Xbox 360, PS3
Genre: Action, Adventure
Developer: Avalanche
Publisher: SQUARE ENIX, Eidos Interactive
Release Date: March 23rd, 2010 (US), 26th (UK), April 1 (Aus)
Official Website

About the Game

Dive into an adrenaline-fueled free-roaming adventure. As agent Rico Rodriguez, your orders are to find and kill your friend and mentor who has disappeared on the island paradise of Panau. There, you must cause maximum chaos by land, sea and air to shift the balance of power. With the unique grapple and parachute combo, BASE jump, hijack and create your own high-speed stunts. With 400 square miles of rugged terrain and hundreds of weapons and vehicles, Just Cause 2 defies gravity and belief.

* UNIQUE VERTICAL GAMEPLAY - Take to the air like no other game. Experience total aerial freedom with the unique parachute and dual grapple
* UNBELIEVABLE ADRENALINE-FUELED STUNTS - Free fall, base jump, vehicle surf, para sail, skydive, grapple, slingshot, leap between vehicles, hang from helicopters, scale buildings. The impossible is within your grasp.
* UPGRADED DUAL GRAPPLE - Your best tool is now a weapon. Fire two shots with the grapple hook and attach unwilling enemies to high-speed vehicles, hang them upside down from buildings, tether objects in mid air. The possibilities are as vast as your imagination.
* DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF PANAU - Explore the island paradise; from sprawling cities, secluded beaches and towering mountain peaks – more than 400 square miles of your own personal playground.
* EXPERIENCE TRUE FREEDOM - Hundreds of objectives can be completed in any way or order that you choose. When it’s time for a break from Agency business, kick back and enjoy all the attractions that Panau has to offer.
* MASSIVE SELECTION OF VEHICLES - Catch air on a high-speed dirt bike, race across the sea in a power boat, or fire a spread of rockets from an attack chopper – more than 100 land, sea and air vehicles are yours for the taking.
Upon beating the game, you will have access to Mercenary Mode which is a free for all! No story, JUST CHAOS!

FAQ-

1. Q-Should I play Just Cause 1 first?
A-No, it is not needed. Just Cause 2 is shaping up to be a much superior game.

Platform Differences-

PC-

Just Cause 2 for PC Uses Steamworks DRM

Minimum Settings for Just Cause 2
* OS: Microsoft Windows Vista (Windows XP is unsupported)
* Processor: Dual-core CPU with SSE3 (Athlon 64 X2 4200 / Pentium D 3GHz)
* Memory: 2GB System Memory
* Hard Drive: 10GB of free drive space
* Graphics: DX10 compatible graphics card with 256 MB of memory
(Nvidia GeForce 8800 series/ ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro)
* Sound: 100% DirectX 10 compatible sound card
* DirectX®: Microsoft DirectX 10

Recommended Settings for Just Cause 2
* Processor: Intel Core® 2 Duo 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 2.4GHz or equivalent
* Memory: 3GB system Memory
* Graphics: DX10 compatible graphics card with 512 MB of memory
(Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 series/ ATI Radeon HD 5750 series)
* Sound: 100% DirectX 10 compatible Dolby Digital 5.1 sound card
* DirectX®: Microsoft DirectX 10.1

* Optimized for Dual and Quad Core Processors
* Certified for Nvidia 3D Vision
* Enhanced for SLi
* Enhanced for Crossfire
* Enhanced for multi-screen setup
* Full Keyboard and Mouse support
* Xbox360 Controller Support
* Enhanced GPU Water effect for Nvidia Systems
* Enhanced Bokeh filter for Nvidia Systems
* Increased detail setting
* SSAO
* Benchmark Mode
* DLC support via Steamworks
* Achievements via Steamworks

*Mods and Command Line Customization
Command line customization****
BOLO Patch-- Mod to your hearts desire
weapons & vehicles free, upgrades are not free
weapons & vehicles & upgrades free and unlocked by default
Mini Tweak Guide- By brain_stew

PS3-
PS3 edition of JC2 will support video recording. You can have the game automatically record 30 second clips or manually film up to ten minutes. Then you can share it with Youtube.
Trophies

Xbox 360-
Achievements

U.S. Preorder Information

UK Preorder Information
63805_jc2_dlc_powerpoint_v2_normal.jpg

11kxjlz.jpg

just_cause_2.jpg
panau_map.jpg
bolo_san_tosi.jpg
2m3p5s8.jpg

156922-2-screenshot.jpg
156922-4-screenshot.jpg

Just-Cause-2-1412.jpg

iwustx.jpg

I have created a GAF account for Youtube where you can upload your videos-
* YouTube username:gafjc2@gmail.com
* Google Account email address:GAFJC2@gmail.com
* Password- JustCause2

Launch Trailer
Tuk Tuk Guided Missile
Vehicle Stunt Diary
Island In Chaos Trailer
Gravity Trailer
Firetruck Jet Chicken Trailer
Bubble Guns
A Whole New World
2i0u7gg.gif
w1a4j9.jpg

2yl1jky.gif
2zrjaqt.jpg
33nuxic.jpg
2ynia2c.gif
boom.gif

2ytwmxx.jpg

Game Informer- 90
One of the most enjoyable sandboxes for players to experiment in this side of Grand Theft Auto. [Issue#204, p.86]
Games Master UK-86
All things considered, Just Cause 2 is comfortably the best "zany" sandboxer out there, and a brilliantly improved sequel to the great-if-flawed original. [Apr 2010, p.60]
Gamespot (360)- 8.0
1UP- A
IGN (PS3)-8.8

Thanks to
*Mechanical Snowman for the gifs and amazing icons!
*Beardz for the KICK ASS banner
*brain_stew for the PC tweaking guide
*Everyone else for the screen shots and ideas

* I will continue to add more content

###Chaos Clips Contest####

***Rules for voting***

You are allowed 3 votes.
1st choice= 3 points
2nd choice= 2 points
3rd choice = 1 point

Whoever has the most points will win the contest. If there is a tie I will choose who wins.

Here are the nominees!

1. JC2 Almost Heliowned-By FuttBuck
2. Base Jump Fail- By UFRA
3. JC2 Car flip- By Jaroof
4. Baby Panay Strikes Back- By reetva
5. How not to approach sniper- By Ploid 3.0
2ynia2c.gif
- By Jet1911
7. Master of cartwheels- By INDIGO_CYCLOPS
8. Car+Hot Air Balloon+Sky Rise- By Ploid 3.0
9. Enemy falls of high rise- By UFRA
10. Big Jump, Long Fail- By Snuggler
11. Gonna Hitch A Ride- By Snuggler
12. A boat doing some damage- By Artadius
JustCause2header.jpg

The demo was awesome. But I'm still debating whether to just Gamefly this or full on purchase it from Amazon. Release date delivery and a $15 video game credit is very tempting.

Either way, awesome thread! I'm looking forward to WatchIng crazy YouTube vids that PS3 Gaffers put up.

DeadGzuz

Banned
The demo kind of turned me off, but the thought of making bad ass youtube video on the PS3 version sounds like fun, plus the reviews have been better than I thought.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice thread, brutha. I'll definitely be getting it this Tuesday, especially since KMART has it for $45. I love a good sandbox game where I'm free to just fuck around and do whatever crazy shit I can think of.

For me, PS3 is the right choice between the two consoles just for the youtube feature. I can't wait to record some stunts and stuff, if it's a hit we'll need a JUST CAUSE YOUTUBE VIDZ thread to show off.

reetva

Banned
Can't wait till I can get this! :D
I'm a tad short on cash, so it might be a while, but I will be uploading so many videos to that account. :lol

Shurs

I have this preordered, don't know if I'm want it at this point. I need to put in some more time with the demo this weekend.

Okay. Wasn't interested at all in this game, the reason I decided to take a look at this thread anyway was because I thought the thread name was funny :lol.

But shit, I gotta admit. The news (to me at least) that there's a Youtube recording/sharing feature in this game is AWESOM-O. This GIF also convinced me of the fun to be apparently had in JC2:

w1a4j9.jpg

Are there plenty of towns/cities to just fuck with people living their ignorant lives? I hated the barren Desert like shit in San Andreas....

FoxhoundNL said:
Are there plenty of towns/cities to just fuck with people living their ignorant lives? I hated the barren Desert like shit in San Andreas....

The demo has a nice balance of bases/cities and remote areas. It's really fun to cause a load of terror and then go hide out in the mountains for a bit... Just waiting for the media to jump on it calling it a Taliban simulator :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
FoxhoundNL said:
Okay. Wasn't interested at all in this game, the reason I decided to take a look at this thread anyway was because I thought the thread name was funny :lol.

But shit, I gotta admit. The news (to me at least) that there's a Youtube recording/sharing feature in this game is AWESOM-O. This GIF also convinced me of the fun to be apparently had in JC2:

w1a4j9.jpg

What the...DOWNLOAD THE DEMO MAN! It's the best demo EVER.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
FoxhoundNL said:
The whole point is to randomly discover new areas and fuck shit up, and the game presents plenty of location variety.

reetva

Banned
FoxhoundNL said:

The environments are varied. You've got your barren desert areas, your jungle areas, your snowy mountain areas, and your city. Towns seem to be sprinkled liberally throughout the (barren desert-ish) demo area, though, so it doesn't seem like you'll run into any extended periods of just gliding through the sky to get to the next town (though that can be really nice).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bit annoying there seems to be no "CE" stuff added with the steam version. Still debating if i should grab it from the game UK store or just go with steam.

KAP151

Delayed till April 1 in Australia (and I hope that's not some cruel joke)

And we get the same LE as the UK (except it's exclusive to EB)

Mad Max

evlcookie said:
Bit annoying there seems to be no "CE" stuff added with the steam version. Still debating if i should grab it from the game UK store or just go with steam.

You're better of buying this in a store since it's a steamworks game anyway.

bathala said:
UK gets the best deal

fucking American retailers (blame Gamestop).

I want that hovercraft
I guess, but the only thing we don't get that I really want is that Monster Truck!

Still, can't wait till release!

Edit: OP, you've only got the NA release date up there, it releases on the 26th in the UK.

GWX

Great thread (and thread name).

Not a fan of the GIFs in the OP, though... They take a while to load with my crappy connection :(

kamspy

Thread title cop-out confirmed.

Only God of War III can have that honor. And it went without saying.

I'll check out JC2 when it's on sale. I've already spent far too much and once the wife get's the bank statement it's the couch for me.

RS4-

For anyone that has played the demo for both PC and 360, how are the controls for flying? Or just in general.

Thanks!

LovingSteam said:

Who needs a world map in Final Fantasy 13 when you got Just Cause 2!

I need to know whats in the little island in the upper corner? Knights of the Round? Zodiac? Ozma???? Sitting out there all by itself, you know its got to be good

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
HamPster PamPster said:
I need to know whats in the little island in the upper corner? Knights of the Round? Zodiac? Ozma???? Sitting out there all by itself, you know its got to be good

Damn, good question.
The first thing I'm gonna do when I get this game is steal a whirlybird and fly over to that mysterious little island to see what the fuck is up.

Wag

Please add the list of command line tweaks for the PC version to the OP (or do we want to have a separate thread/post for that?).

bathala

Banned
Snuggler said:
Damn, good question.
The first thing I'm gonna do when I get this game is steal a whirlybird and fly over to that mysterious little island to see what the fuck is up.
if its a mission based island it'll be guarded by anti-air rockets

Wag said:
Please add the list of command line tweaks for the PC version to the OP (or do we want to have a separate thread/post for that?).
I will be adding more content in the next few days. I will also update the op with more info for the PC versio (mods, command line options) as they are released.

reetva

Banned
FuttBuck said:
Oh man I can't wait for this game. I was pretty set on the 360 version but now I'm thinking maybe PS3 version...hmmmmm /face_thinking
It's looking like the PS3 version is going to be the more feature-rich version (console-wise, that is), but it could be great fun to talk to a buddy while you both play the game separately. It's not very friends-list reliant, though, and you'll get the same great game either way, so go with your gut, I guess.

Wag

DarkoMaledictus said:
Even if it didn't with xpadder every pc game has xbox pad support :)!
Yeah, but this has native 360 controller support, which means rumble.

reetva

Banned
GeoramA said:
So psyched for this.

A sandbox/blow shit up hybrid that's done right. Finally!
I agree, but I have to admit that Mercenaries 2 has a special place in my heart. The co-op works so well because plenty of mechanics are silly and lead to hilarious "THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN DIFFERENTLY! FUCK!" moments.

This game fucking rules. Strange how an update for the demo was released last night...

Anyway, was it this game where you could jump on a missile and ride that shit? I know you can ride the canisters.

reetva

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
This game fucking rules. Strange how an update for the demo was released last night...

Anyway, was it this game where you could jump on a missile and ride that shit? I know you can ride the canisters.
I'm not sure about missiles, but you can surf on fighter jets. I bet you can surf on enemy fighter jets. Not much that they can do about it, you're just kind of standing on there. I can't wait. :lol

I have a huge favor to ask one of you since I can't seem to get it to work. Is there anyway to get the images that I posted to be labeled with "Just Cause 2" and to all have the same border like this:

wl4xol.jpg

Other threads the images are all placed very orderly and share the same border. Can someone here perhaps help me with that?

I was going to post this in the demo thread but decided to do it here.

Regarding the demo, I have the ps3 version and I'm experiencing pauses during gameplay especially when there's action on screen that's very noticeable.Just wondering if this is the same with you guys, and if it's in the final version of the game.

thanks.

Top Bottom