• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

CrazedArabMan said:
No doubt, what killed a definite sale was the lack of co-op even though I've put in at least 10 hours + in the demo (did the time glitch and completed all towns 100% and all missions). But I need to save my money for all of the other games coming out this year. I was going to rent it but I have an exam and a paper due after it comes out, then I will have Conviction coming out after that. So right now I don't know what I will do yet.

If you put 10+ hours into the DEMO wouldn't the game be a easy "Buy" when it comes out? That wasn't even like 5% of the full game. If anything, Splinter Cell should be the rental here with it's rumored short length, and due to the linear nature of the game. If you're saving money for singleplayer games, compare them with Just Cause 2, and MAYBE 3 will compare in sheer size, and total hours you will be able to put into them. I say buy this, rent the other ones, or just wait for them to drop in price.

Net_Wrecker said:
If you put 10+ hours into the DEMO wouldn't the game be a easy "Buy" when it comes out? That wasn't even like 5% of the full game. If anything, Splinter Cell should be the rental here with it's rumored short length, and due to the linear nature of the game. If you're saving money for singleplayer games, compare them with Just Cause 2, and MAYBE 3 will compare in sheer size, and total hours you will be able to put into them. I say buy this, rent the other ones, or just wait for them to drop in price.

Like I said, it would of been an easy buy if it had co-op (it is a big thing I like in games like these, Crackdown and Saints Row 2 spoiled me). But I'm also replaying the Splinter Cell Demo like mad (probably around 5 hours with it so far), plus I have a few friends that are picking it up too so we can do co-op. So I have decided to pick up both, I can get SP:C on Amazon for around 45 with a gift card and their price drop, and I can pick this up for 45 bucks. It also depending on if my local K-mart has it (they are known for not knowing anything regarding games that they have or if they receive them). Thanks for the advice though.

CrazedArabMan said:
Like I said, it would of been an easy buy if it had co-op (it is a big thing I like in games like these, Crackdown and Saints Row 2 spoiled me). But I'm also replaying the Splinter Cell Demo like mad (probably around 5 hours with it so far), plus I have a few friends that are picking it up too so we can do co-op. So I have decided to pick up both, I can get SP:C on Amazon for around 45 with a gift card and their price drop, and I can pick this up for 45 bucks. It also depending on if my local K-mart has it (they are known for not knowing anything regarding games that they have or if they receive them). Thanks for the advice though.

If you pre-order Just Cause 2 on Amazon you get a $15 credit towards your next game purchase which you could roll into Splinter Cell.

forgeforsaken said:
If you pre-order Just Cause 2 on Amazon you get a $15 credit towards your next game purchase which you could roll into Splinter Cell.

Dang it, I hate you now, you have given me a choice on what I want to do. :(

Billen

Banned
The world seems great, but having played the demo a couple of times I find the gameplay severely lacking. The gunplay just isn't good at all, considering everyone can take one million bullets and the feeling is a tad bit off. Also, having ten thousand vehicles and helicopters pop up as soon as you bitchslap some common peasant takes some of the mayhem feeling away.

Edit: Yes, I know, better guns, dropping the bases into pits of lava but still... :D

UFRA

Snuggler said:
Hopefully there will be some fun GTA-style cheats for this game, any word of them?

Yeah I'm totally hoping for this too.

Specifically, one to make the military ignore you sorta like GTA cheats where you could make it so you never get a wanted level.

This would make fooling around with military equipment much more enjoyable. :D

UFRA said:
Yeah I'm totally hoping for this too.

Specifically, one to make the military ignore you sorta like GTA cheats where you could make it so you never get a wanted level.

This would make fooling around with military equipment much more enjoyable. :D
Read the spoiler in the OP :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
LovingSteam said:
Read the spoiler in the OP :)

Ah, I'd rather skip the story all together and just play that.

Also, it's a long shot but I would love something like the keys to the city mode on Crackdown.

Wag

UFRA said:
Have you checked that K-Mart thread recently?

Turns out the coupon was a misprint, they corrected it, and if you try to use it now you'll probably get accused of fraud or something.
CD-Wow has the PC version for $39.99 shipped (I grabbed it during a sale for $38.99). Since it's a Steamworks title it doesn't matter where you buy it from. I didn't want to spend the $50 @ Amazon because then you get locked into buying another game with the $15GC within a month or so, possibly one you don't want or need.

Ripclawe

Banned
is the demo not optimized or my system not that great?

Core i3 530, 2GB ram and 9800GT

The demo is barely hitting 20fps with everything except shadows on the highest levels

Wag

Ripclawe said:

The demo is barely hitting 20fps with everything except shadows on the highest levels
It's your setup- specifically your videocard and more ram might help too. Try lowering some of the graphics settings.

I was going to gamefly it, but the demo was too convincing (and the amazon discount on the next purchase). Arg curse you amazon for getting me with these next game discounts! GOWIII chains to Just Cause 2 which leads to Splinter Cell (now at 36 bucks!)

Wiggum2007

Next time you play the demo hang around one of the propaganda trailers for awhile and listen to what Baby Panay has to say. :lol

I think I heard something along the lines of "in memory of the recent passing of my father Papa Panay, all hangings will be postponed today. To be replaced by floggings!"

gketter said:
I was going to gamefly it, but the demo was too convincing (and the amazon discount on the next purchase). Arg curse you amazon for getting me with these next game discounts! GOWIII chains to Just Cause 2 which leads to Splinter Cell (now at 36 bucks!)

If only Splinter Cell could give me $10 off Red Dead Redemption, I would be in heaven, but as of now, there doesn't seem to be one with a SC preorder.

My gift card chain is more like GOWIII -> Just Cause 2 -> Red Dead -> ??? (maybe Crackdown 2)

Net_Wrecker said:
If only Splinter Cell could give me $10 off Red Dead Redemption, I would be in heaven, but as of now, there doesn't seem to be one with a SC preorder.

My gift card chain is more like GOWIII -> Just Cause 2 -> Red Dead -> ??? (maybe Crackdown 2)

yea i figure SC has its included in the game price itself (being 51 bucks while Just Cause is full price). Its an effective strategy on their part though (same with their buy 4-for-3 on books). And you could chain to Alan Wake if its a game you're interested in.

Costanza said:
wait, whats the time glitch for the demo?
If your on the 360 just replace everything with the Xbox equivalent.
first of all, you can wait to hit Start until there is 1 second left rather than 2. Once you're in the start menu, you hit the PS button and Start at the same time. Since the game is quicker to respond than the XMB is to show up, the game unpauses for a brief amount of time until the XMB opens. When the XMB opens up, the game automatically pauses again. So, continue returning to the start menu from the XMB and hitting the PS button and Start at the same time until you see that the timer has fallen to zero (you can watch it in the brief glimpses you catch while the game unpauses). Then return to gameplay and you can play forever (until you die, actually).

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Ripclawe said:

Turn off the nvidia only settings.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
The demo has caught my attention in a huge way. This is really unprecedented for me, but I just can't put it down. When the timer runs out, I just reboot the demo and play through it again. Also the only game I've ever pre-ordered from Amazon. Can't wait for this! :D:D

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
w1a4j9.jpg

OMG! I didn't know you could do that!!

NEED TO TRY IT ON DEMO NOW!!!! :lol

Docpan

I don't understand why the 360 version cannot support video recording. After trying the demos on both platforms, I find the controls to be more comfortable on the 360 pad, and the graphics to be slightly sharper.

It's fucking bullshit.

Weenerz

Banned
Docpan said:
I don't understand why the 360 version cannot support video recording. After trying the demos on both platforms, I find the controls to be more comfortable on the 360 pad, and the graphics to be slightly sharper.

It's fucking bullshit.

The PS3 version allows you to upload to Youtube right? Thats probably why, MS has a closed network to that kind of crap. If the 360 could upload to youtube, no doubt it would be in the game.

Mad Max

The PC version doesn't support recording either, so it may be for some other reason. Although you can still use 3rd party software obviously.

Docpan said:

It's fucking bullshit.
At this point it's a feature that I wish was there, but this game is looking to be really good regardless.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Docpan said:

It's fucking bullshit.
The PS3 has Youtube recording APIs iirc.

Besides, the recording might not work too well. This is one of the first games to do it I think.

Man

Aigis said:
Besides, the recording might not work too well. This is one of the first games to do it I think.
Several games have it (the whole pixeljunk series for example) and in those it has worked without a hitch.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Man said:
Several games have it (the whole pixeljunk series for example) and in those it has worked without a hitch.
I see.

How long did videos take to upload in those games?
I'm still undecided on which version to get

Man

It depends on the length of the recording as well as your upload speed. It uploads at the same speed as you upload videos to YT via a browser.

The Youtube recorder api also lets you pause the recording (and then get to a necessary point in the game..etc) and then you can continue the recording later on (creating one single, edited video as a result).

Also, some games have a YT recording quality option (SD, 720p..etc).

I enjoy flying as high as possible in a heli and then just jumping out. You can get nearly 4 minutes of falling if you do it right.

And then just Spider-Gliding across the country side. This is a lot of fun.

Aigis said:
I see.

How long did videos take to upload in those games?
I'm still undecided on which version to get
You don't even have to upload via the PS3, you can record straight to your harddrive, then transfer to your computer to upload / edit. So it doesn't really matter how long it takes, you won't lose much playing time if you just save to HDD.
Aigis said:

It looks flawless. Here's a Video all about the feature. Simple User Interface for video capture, no noticeable FPS drop while recording, and the video quality looks good. What's not to like.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah if you're going with PS3 the real triggers are recommended. They're only like 5 dollars and they definitely make the L2/R2 buttons much more responsive and much less mooshy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
They're also nice for driving controls since they usually use R2 and LR for acceleration/braking.
Just do it, son, Best Buy sells them for $5.
My favorite thing about them is that they have flat asses so don't get pressed when you set the controller down. I accidentally killed a merchant in Demon's Souls because of that :( .

Top Bottom