• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

GHG

Just something to note for UK gaffers who have the PC limited edition:

Don't try to redeem the code on GFWL like it says on the leaflet, redeem the limited edition content code on steam.

I've just spent the last half an hour faffing about trying to activate it on GFWL like it says only to be rebuffed time after time thinking I have a dud code. Then it dawned on me that it makes no sense since the game is on steam, so tried the code on steam and alas, it worked.

Now to play :D .

What a weekend I have ahead. This, Metro 2033 and Crysis on my playlist. PC gaming bliss.

Brinbe

Love this fucking game so much, despite the small frustrations like finding those last annoying %s to complete shit. The vastness of exploration and freedom of gameplay is just too awesome. Hope others learn from JC2, we need more of this! :D

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Cancelled my Play.com order only to impulse buy it on Steam, any of the pre-order stuff any good or are they just reskins?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Brinbe said:
The vastness of exploration and freedom of gameplay is just too awesome. Hope others learn from JC2, we need more of this! :D

Definitely. Avalanche set the bar really high for what can be done in a sandbox game, it'll be interesting to see other dev's try and top this. Saints Row 3 will probably be coming out later this year, Violition better be playing attention because their really gonna have to step it up for their game to be even close to JC2.

Burger

Anyone else having an issue on PC where it seems to run in slo-mo for a few seconds, then tries to catch up to itself ?

It's getting on my tits. I'll check out the steam forums in the mean time...

Salaadin

Burger said:
Anyone else having an issue on PC where it seems to run in slo-mo for a few seconds, then tries to catch up to itself ?

It's getting on my tits. I'll check out the steam forums in the mean time...

CHeck your settings. Brain_stew has a good post HERE that goes thru some of the basics to get better performance. If your "slo-mo" is a framerate issue, that might help.

OneLetter

This game is hilariously fun, but it really comes to do ignoring the missions/strongholds and just creating your own fun. Although, I do like any mission that involves me having to grapple onto a car or something from up in the air.

For example, last night I was in Heat level 2, driving the equivalent of the Audi TT / Gumpert Apollo, and the two humvees behind me had shot out both of my rear tires. So I'm sliding around, barely keeping stable, when I see a gas station approaching on the right.

So I aim the car straight at one of the pumps, parachute out, let the car hit one of the pumps. Kaboom goes the pump, knocking down half of the station (I guess it took out both pumps in that island) and then one of the humvees takes out the other island and knocks that part down. The 2nd humvee slammed into the back of the two cars and exploded.

+Chaos. +Awesome. +Hilarity. This game really is great for all the little things that can happen with the physics and driving mechanics.

As a side note, and I know this is somewhat tooting my own horn, but man do I wish this game had Saints Row 2's "Warp to Shore" functionality, for when you get stuck out in the middle of a large lake / ocean with no vehicle around and nothing within reasonable distance to grapple onto.

Anyone else find that you can parachute / grapple around faster than you can with most cars? That's becomes my default way of travel, since I'm pretty much just going around to each of the unexplored villages so I can unlock them for the Black Market dropoff.

TheKurgan

It's a older video but this is why I think Just Cause is so impressive. Not the "Lost Island" but the graphics and just how massive the game really is. Watching him skim the treetops in that little jet makes we want to just walk out of work and speed home so I can play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnIk3zMUFw0

this game is massive! It has to be like 10x the size of GTA4. Hopefully I will have some videos of my own by the end of the weekend.

omg I wish I just took a video of what just happened

I was wondering what the AI would do if I used a helicopter to pick up an enemy jet taking off. I hook them together, pull him in the air and wait to see if he will boost away. He didn't, so I just let him drop. I was his jet slowly fall a bit, do a barrel roll and fly away :lol

Just Cause 3 needs co-op

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Archaix said:
Somehow I've not learned to stop ordering my jet on a hill, or learned that the black market dealer really doesn't seem to care where he drops it. So...well...this happened. And I was laughing so hard at the fact that it worked, that I had to upload the last 30 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy-u4W4cgfo

Nice recovery. I've had to pull of similar maneuvers and I've had to tow it out of ditches and trees just to get the gotdamned thing off the group.

car was all dirty from the dirt roads i was driving on, slid id in the shallow water off the coast and it was clean :D

Also grappling a statue to a truck and taking it down that way is very satisfying.

I love the little details like that in this game.

Sanic

Archaix said:
Somehow I've not learned to stop ordering my jet on a hill, or learned that the black market dealer really doesn't seem to care where he drops it. So...well...this happened. And I was laughing so hard at the fact that it worked, that I had to upload the last 30 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy-u4W4cgfo

I can't tell you how many times i've done that. Planes need a reverse function, and they also need to not freak out if they barely touch anything :lol

Burger

Salaadin said:
CHeck your settings. Brain_stew has a good post HERE that goes thru some of the basics to get better performance. If your "slo-mo" is a framerate issue, that might help.

Thanks. There was a thread about the very issue on the steam forums. I'm going to try and enable triple buffering and see if that helps.

Pimpbaa said:
Nothing. It is perfect. The 360 controller analog sticks are too tight, painful to use triggers (for long periods), and terribly shaped buttons.

Fanboyism at it's best.....

2vsoxgo.jpg

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Pandoracell said:
I can't tell you how many times i've done that. Planes need a reverse function, and they also need to not freak out if they barely touch anything :lol

Some of the planes do have a reverse. I stole one from a military base and reversed all over the runway just because I could.

Salaadin

Burger said:
Thanks. There was a thread about the very issue on the steam forums. I'm going to try and enable triple buffering and see if that helps.

It helped me a ton. The in game settings would give me the altering 30 FPS to 60 FPS range even when I bumped down the AA and AF. I hate tearing so I never wanted to turn off Vsync.

Now, with 2xAA, 4xAF, Medium Shadows, SSAO off, and VSync off (everything else maxed) with d3doverrider handling the triple buffering and Vsync, I get 60FPS solid all the time. Its so nice. Im using an i5 750, HD5850, and 4GBs RAM.

Just to add, Brain_Stew also has THIS POST explaining why we are getting the framerate differences using the in game Vsync. Its useful to know.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Is it a glitch in the .Gif when he grapples onto the gas tank and flies with it? I've been trying to do it for a while with no luck.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Goron2000 said:
Is it a glitch in the .Gif when he grapples onto the gas tank and flies with it? I've been trying to do it for a while with no luck.

It ain't no glitch. If you grapple to the top nozzle of the upright red & white gas canisters then shoot it while you're attached you can ride it into the sky. I've done it a few times but the most fun you can have with canisters is to attach a NPC and shoot it, they'll fly and twirl around the air for a brief moment until they die by explosion.

sammy

I found that LOST island last night, it's cool how you gather absolutely zero intelligence exploring it. I flew to it in a jet, and the force-field blew me up :D

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Goron2000 said:

I wondered this as well when I played the demo... could never pull it off. I'd shoot it, grapple, then it would take off without me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RSTEIN said:
I wondered this as well when I played the demo... could never pull it off. I'd shoot it, grapple, then it would take off without me.

If you made the same mistake as me, you're trying to shoot the red canisters that are usually in groups of three in the wooden holder things. Those aren't the canisters you can ride, the ridable ones are upright and red and white.
Like this.

RSTEIN said:

Make sure when you shoot the tank to shoot the top or the cap THEN grapple on to it.

LovingSteam said:
Make sure when you shoot the tank to shoot the top or the cap THEN grapple on to it.

Why do it in such a hard way? Grapple to be on top of it first then shoot down at it. A lot easier and requires less precision and timing.

Sanic

Marty Chinn said:
Why do it in such a hard way? Grapple to be on top of it first then shoot down at it. A lot easier and requires less precision and timing.

Yep that's all I need to do. It is a bit odd in that it plain doesn't work sometimes, but the best advice I can give is to aim for the top.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Ah... yeah, I was shooting the top but not the nozzle thing. I thought it would kind of "auto position" me on it. I tried it a couple times but then went on to other things.

Anyways, just got the game. :D

Linkzg said:
omg I wish I just took a video of what just happened

I was wondering what the AI would do if I used a helicopter to pick up an enemy jet taking off. I hook them together, pull him in the air and wait to see if he will boost away. He didn't, so I just let him drop. I was his jet slowly fall a bit, do a barrel roll and fly away :lol

Just Cause 3 needs co-op

This

Been playing the demo some more, and the craving for a Keys to the City mode grows larger. I want to be able to toss grenades when attached to stuff, I want cables to not snap, I want to attach stuff to other stuff while I'm attached to stuff. I want to spawn lots and lots of those canisters, tie them all together, attach myself to one and explode in the pleasant fireworks amongst the poor civilians and mopeds I attached to other canisters. Then I'll spawn a bus and ride it back to earth. Just cause.

Why should I not be able to do this? Give me one good reason Avalanche. Make DLC happen please.

Slaylock

cjtiger300 said:
does anyone know if you miss out on some Trophies if you play the game on Casual difficulty? Just curious.
Three:

Top Agent - Bonus for completing the game on Normal difficulty.
Heroic Agent - Bonus for compelting the game on Experienced difficulty.
Legendary Agent - Bonus for completing the game on Hardcore difficulty.

moop2000 said:
Fanboyism at it's best.....

http://i44.tinypic.com/2vsoxgo.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
:lol After all the DS3 bashing, one person has a negative opinion on the Xbox controller and it makes them a fanboy?

Anyway, I was wondering about something while I was playing and it kinda put me off.

It seems that after you complete an Airport or a base with a runway 100%, planes stop taking off from there (as you've destroyed everything, I'm guessing).

Since stuff you've destroyed stays destroyed, isn't it going to be a bit boring at the end of the game if there's less interaction because of it? Or is there a way to "reset" the map after you've finished the game 100%?

I might be wrong, and I hope I am, but what's the point in having a sandbox if you can't play with anything once you're finished?

UFRA

Mechanical Snowman said:
:lol After all the DS3 bashing, one person has a negative opinion on the Xbox controller and it makes them a fanboy?

Yeah, no kidding, wtf?

At least 2-3 people posted about how the DS3 is just unbearable and what not, yet this opinion can't be had for 360...sometimes you make me wonder, GAF.

darkwings

Banned
wow nvidia's new DX11 card just owns in Just Cause 2!

VGA performance: Just Cause 2

Using Windows XP? Forget about this title. Just Cause 2 will be using DirectX 10 features instead. And since Windows XP directly comes with DirectX 9, this will not fly with the game. Your only remedy, therefore, is to install either Vista or Windows 7. Something about tethering cars to explosive barrels or poles gives us the impression that Just Cause 2 might run like trash on older PCs. But chances are you don't have an older PC, Mr-Shiny-New-PC-reader. Square Enix announced that Just Cause 2 will support NVIDIA's CUDA tech. It will also support 3D.

JC2 is a story all by itself. NVIDIA cards will have extra options in image quality. In fact I expect quite a number of reviews out today with improper benchmark results as for NVIDIA graphics cards additional features like Bokeh filters and GPU Water Simulation are enabled at default.

Comparing this title to the Radeon graphics cards requires these function to be disabled if you want to benchmark objectively, which we did. The results are amazing, what an incredible title JC2 is, and through DX 10.1 how extremely nice looking the game is.

We have 8xAA and 16xAF enabled in these tests.

Once we enable (++) the NVIDIA CUDA specific eye-candy (Bokeh filter and GPU Water Simulation) We can clearly see a massive drop in performance. Still extremely playable though!

But let us look at the GeForce GTX 480.

Very impressive, and the GTX 480 card... well just look at the little fucker go. Massive... seriously massive performance there.

And once more, once we've enabled (++) the NVIDIA CUDA specific eye-candy (Bokeh filter and GPU Water Simulation). With a GeForce GTX 480 you can easily flick on everything you want. Again, we measure with 8xAA and 16xAF activated.

And last but not least, a couple of the latest available high-end cards compared. Before you wonder, that R5970 had an issue alright, multi-GPU clearly did not kick in.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/25

GameGamer

Is there a way to save your last location? Even the general location?

Every time I die or start the game it brings me back to the same location.

BeeDog

A friend bought the PS3 version today, and I was playing the game at his place. This game's awesome, beautiful graphics, huuuuuuuuuuuuge game world and lots of shit to do (and collect, <3 collect-a-thons). Might grab this game when I find a bargain price. :D

Top Bottom