• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 XMB @ EuroGamer Expo (Off screen footage)

Shinjiru

Looking good!

I'm sure I'll be spending quite a bit of time over the coming years in the "Live from PlayStation" section.

jwk94

You can choose any First and Last name you wish
I am pretty sure you can choose either PSN ID avatar or any photo (we have been on a Dev kit at least)
Not sure about Playroom, it's not on the Dev kit SDK
Not seen an option for creating folders, it's just the left to right sliding screen (they'll need to though as it will get busy!)
Not looked at custom wallpaper selections, I will check (don't see why they wouldn't though)

Can't really say, our game isn't announced yet either.

Do you know if there's a library for downloaded games?

Anyone know how the PS4 handles downloads? Does it still need double the space of the file on the harddrive for it download it and does it still create those install bubbles after you download a game?

Anyone know how the PS4 handles downloads? Does it still need double the space of the file on the harddrive for it download it and does it still create those install bubbles after you download a game?

pretty sure it doesn't anymore since they have the whole play as you download when you reach a certain amount of GB

EvB

pretty sure it doesn't anymore since they have the whole play as you download when you reach a certain amount of GB

Vita still has it, IOS does the same thing, I always assumed that was something unix-y that made that the case.

Ooh I see, content promotion doesn't count as ad when it's from Sony. Next you'll be telling me that James Bond's Sony Vaio fetish is part of the character!

SingStar.jpg

When Microsoft starts giving music and movies away for free we can argue. Until then, apples and oranges.

They did start giving away movies, you must have missed that one.

Well, any movie they give away, without asking to sign up to a service is A-OK.

But anything they put on your screen asking you to pay for is an intrusive advert, especially if it is not game related. Fair?

I think it looks amazing ! simple, easy on the eye, minimalist, fast... Love it !

I just hope they keep that speed on the store and everywhere, especially when you're playing a game and you want to send an invite or check something, i want all that to be fast. As of now, i would say that speed wise, it's a great start.

That's my main concern with the PS4 now, the OS, i want it to be intuitive and fast. If they nail that, i'm a happy customer ! I know games wise, they're gonna drop the bombs !

BTW, thanks KennyLinder For the info ! :)

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Looks fast and functional, which is all I wanted. :) Also, as someone who uses the default background on PS3, I wonder if the background on PS4 will change colour depending on the time of day... I always thought that was kinda cool.
That's one of the reasons I'll just leave my screen idling sometimes. It's probably the best part of the whole PS3 UI. It adds something fresh and it's just... elegant.
Thats only in Europe I think? And yeah I'd be -shocked- if there werent ads for the PS4. Maybe not as blatant and egregious as the XB1 but ads related to gaming.

The Vita has built in ads when you hit the PS button you get logos for various games at the bottom of the screen. I'd imagine it will be more complex advertising with the PS4.
I guess those are ads? I mean, do you consider the space that the developers uses on each live area to show off their website and other games, ads? Cause, they can do whatever they want with that space.

Ooh I see, content promotion doesn't count as ad when it's from Sony. Next you'll be telling me that James Bond's Sony Vaio fetish is part of the character!
James Bond DOES like class.
It's about as annoying as having a permanent non-deletable ad for a demo of a game I have no interest in. Ah, that's because it's exactly what it is, calling it a free game is stretching it somewhat.
Then it's an app. It's also a game. But an ad? That's stretching it somewhat.

KoopaTheCasual

Looks fast and smooth, and also very beautiful. Amazing UI. Great work Sony.

Those 3.5GBs of GDDR5 RAM put to good use.

I mean 1.5 GBs. or 1GB. or 2GBs. Did we ever find out exactly how much is allocated to the XMB?

We never got confirmation of numbers. Only the Sony dev who called the Digital Foundry article being way off, and insiders on gaf saying 2GB. I guess time will tell?

Skeff

Looks fast and smooth, and also very beautiful. Amazing UI. Great work Sony.

Those 3.5GBs of GDDR5 RAM put to good use.

I mean 1.5 GBs. or 1GB. or 2GBs. Did we ever find out exactly how much is allocated to the XMB?

Never got an exact confirmation from Sony, but we had a lot of developers and insider all pointing towards 2Gb reserved.

CREMSteve

I hope the store is integrated right into the XMB, go to the icon, push down and bam, in the store.

Also, I hope there is a library for my games, would love to be able to catalog them by genre, alphabetized.

tensuke

Thanks for answering fellow GAFfer, it would be nice if I could get more info regarding that to be honest since I'm not an expert in this matter.

Usually, a device will use more power when starting up and then ramp back down into a lower power/conservative state while idling. Honestly, the console itself was designed with low power standby in mind, that's why they added the ARM chip, so they could process background tasks in a low power state without the main APU firing away. In fact, you just have to hit the power button once to put it into standby, and because of dat RAM, they are able to keep that memory powered through standby so you get an instant on when coming out of standby, rather than having to wait for the whole bootup process. I don't think you have anything to worry about when leaving it on standby overnight. :)

ckohler

Wait, I thought they had a totally new interface.

Or can you switch and use the xmb?

Don't confuse the icons at the top as XMB. They aren't. Those are just icons that look like the icons in XMB. That's where the similarities end. Functionally, it's completely different.

I wish more people would realize this. Maybe once they use the PS4 it'll sink in.

Raptor

That real (fake) name is really neat because my PSN ID is Raptor_1 or something and doesn't look as good as just Raptor, first thing I will do is put that in there, wish you could just hide your PSN ID forever lols.

Cels

Looks great and all but I want to see how fast the Store loads. It feels like at least 10 seconds on the PS3.

i agree, the store is horrifically slow on ps3. and not just the initial start-up, navigating when you're in the store sucks too.

i hope they built the store into the XMB this time instead of a shitty app. i also want to be able to look at a game and be able to find all dlc/extra content for that game easily in one place (like the "extras" menu on 360)

otherwise everything looks great.

Just as an FYI, like the PS3, anything that has a star next to it is only on test kits and reference tools.

This goes for menus, submenus and options.

Pain

Banned
i agree, the store is horrifically slow on ps3. and not just the initial start-up, navigating when you're in the store sucks too.

i hope they built the store into the XMB this time instead of a shitty app. i also want to be able to look at a game and be able to find all dlc/extra content for that game easily in one place (like the "extras" menu on 360)

It depends on your internet connection.

Going from 3mbps to 12mbps I noticed a huge increase in store navigation speeds. It's smooth now and (almost) instant.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Live Tiles for games have a 'Related Items' tab, I'm assuming DLC will be viewable from there.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused. Is this what you see when you turn on the console, or what pops up when you push the home button (touch pad button?), or something else?

Top Bottom