• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 XMB @ EuroGamer Expo (Off screen footage)

Drencrom

I was mainly talking about when you have games highlighted. Selected them pulls dynamic tiles up which show various information about the game, can display videos or new game content info (along with Trophies).

I haven't seen anything on Dynamic Themes or anything yet, but I've not really looked either!

Okay, thanks for the impressions.

Have you seen the start-up intro by the way, or is it not finalized/shown yet? I really hope they go for something futuristic looking like the PS2 boot-up.

Epcott

So you can switch between that Metro-ish set up seen previously or the traditional XMB set up?

If so, nice that we have a choice in the matter!

Badass, as far as suspending the game, looking at friends, trophies, sharing vids, images etc. It's very very fast just like the Vita (except now Trophies, Friends isn't an app you open like on Vita, thankfully).

Eeeeeexxxecellent.......
One last question, does party chat work like the Vita?

Okay, thanks for the impressions.

Have you seen the start-up intro by the way, or is it not finalized/shown yet? I really hope they go for something futuristic looking like the PS2 boot-up.

So far it's a Blue background with the logo appearing on screen then going to the login screen. Quick, slick and simple. I am hoping for a snazzy one like what we got with PS3, but since the machines will a rarely be turned on from cold, Sony might not bother. Can't say for certain though, they might add it at the last minute!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I wouldn't get too excited about the speed and smoothness based on mostly just going through basic system menus for the most part. That stuff is plenty smooth and fast on the PS3 as well.

billy323

Banned
One of the games of Killzone i played today had to be reset as an error message kept popping up (something about unable to read an audio file from Hdd cache) and got a quick look at the XMB or whatever they are calling it does look very smooth

The_Monk

So far it's a slick Blue background with the logo appearing on screen. Quick, slick and simple. I am hoping for a snazzy one like what we got with PS3, but since the machines will a rarely be turned on from cold, Sony might not bother. Can't say for certain though, they might add it at the last minute!

Thank you for posting this fellow GAFfer.

I always turn Off my Vita instead of leaving it in Stand-by mode, I plan to do the same on the PS4 since I might only turn the PS4 one or even two times each day. I wonder If I'm the only one doing this, I just feel more "safe" by always turning it off.

Krakn3Dfx

It+s+so+beautiful+_d15d600f495e4140a8a80089d40d83d2.gif

ckohler

Things learnt from this video:
  • Settings - "Set the screen size of the TV to optimize the 3D view"
  • Settings - Menu Music can be disabled
  • Settings - Key Tone can be disabled
  • Settings - "System Storage Management" is a sub-menu
  • Settings - "PlayStation App Connection Settings" is a sub-menu
  • Main Menu - The "www" icon is indeed "Internet Browser"
  • Main Menu - The "down arrow" icon on the far right is indeed "Downloads"
  • Notification Settings - Can enable/disable: Friend Requests, Name Requests(?), Invitations, Trophies, Game Alerts(?), Download Status...

Thank you for posting this fellow GAFfer.

I always turn Off my Vita instead of leaving it in Stand-by mode, I plan to do the same on the PS4 since I might only turn the PS4 one or even two times each day. I wonder If I'm the only one doing this, I just feel more "safe" by always turning it off.
Idunno about a console but in general puting stuff on standby is adised as it doesnt consume as much energy when starting up then it would if it completely off. Im not an expert or anything. I heard that, not sure myself

I love it. I was scared they were moving to a busy 'Xbox Lite' look with the PS4. Seems the good old XMB is still there. The PS3 OS might be limited and in many ways deficient but I maintain the XMB is the best UI on a console to date. It is clean, almost Apple like in its minimalism, very smooth and fast and really quite beautiful. Kudos to Sony for sticking with it.

Yeah I'm a fan of the xmb too. Just wish on the ps3 you could organize your folders and content better.

I'll explain since I am working on a PS4 game.

Display Name change allows you to add (and change) your real name. So alongside your PSN ID you can have your real name, and edit it at will :) This is seperate from your PSN ID though.

The two requests are so you can send requests to real names, and PSN names separately.
Cool!

The UI(Tub) is so fast and smooth. Like it.

So far it's a Blue background with the logo appearing on screen then going to the login screen. Quick, slick and simple. I am hoping for a snazzy one like what we got with PS3, but since the machines will a rarely be turned on from cold, Sony might not bother. Can't say for certain though, they might add it at the last minute!
:O

Feel like these should be in the OP.

FireCloud

Saw background music in the options... Wonder if it will last any longer on the PS4 than it did on the Vita. (about 5 minutes)

Megasoum

Banned
looks quick

name requests?
ibkTuCJfnJMS0C.png

Actually you can see that this is the "Notification" settings. You can set if you want notifications or not for a bunch of stuff now.

The name request I imagine is because you can request to see your friend's real name instead of his psn user id.

This?

bu_isvqcqaay7_k.png_o3vut7.png

I thought this was the main PS4 interface. No?

This is the same UI... You press up from those square things to go to the bar with all the buttons... Press down and you are back to all the apps.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I don't see any sign of media functions like PS3 has.. playback of locally stored mp3/mp4s, DLNA playback, and etc. ;-/
It's a devkit in what appears to be a kiosk mode, it's probably missing some of the functions that will be in the retail version.

SRaELyf.png

This?

I thought this was the main PS4 interface. No?

Yes that is the main interface when selecting through games. If you select "Overview" on the menu you would open up all the additional information about the game. Trophies, videos etc. That is shown on the other screen featuring Watch Dogs.

Things learnt from this video:
  • Settings - "Set the screen size of the TV to optimize the 3D view"
  • Settings - Menu Music can be disabled
  • Settings - Key Tone can be disabled
  • Settings - "System Storage Management" is a sub-menu
  • Settings - "PlayStation App Connection Settings" is a sub-menu
  • Main Menu - The "www" icon is indeed "Internet Browser"
  • Main Menu - The "down arrow" icon on the far right is indeed "Downloads"
  • Notification Settings - Can enable/disable: Friend Requests, Name Requests(?), Invitations, Trophies, Game Alerts(?), Download Status...

Being able to choose wich notifications appears is cool. What about disabling their online/ offline status notification?

The_Monk

Idunno about a console but in general puting stuff on standby is adised as it doesnt consume as much energy when starting up then it would if it completely off. Im not an expert or anything. I heard that, not sure myself

Thanks for answering fellow GAFfer, it would be nice if I could get more info regarding that to be honest since I'm not an expert in this matter.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Whats with the "no ads!" comments? Did the PS4 XMB had ads before?

I'm confused, people complain about overly designed UIs and say they want something simple. This is simple and you can customize it like the PS3/Vita but people are saying it looks "bland"? Isn't this the best decision because you can change it to make it look like this:
tumblr_mqgamzkHCk1qa5c1eo1_500.jpg

That's beautiful IMO

I'll explain since I am working on a PS4 game.

Display Name change allows you to add (and change) your real name. So alongside your PSN ID you can have your real name, and edit it at will :) This is seperate from your PSN ID though.

The two requests are so you can send requests to real names, and PSN names separately.

Your working on Colony Wars PS4 right? Right?! lol.

I figured they would have a way to edit your full name. But I could care less. I use my real name on Youtube and do not worry about it.

It's always funny walking around work and hearing, " oh hey dude checked out your Youtube Dark Souls gameplay, that was cool! ".

Accoun

Is the "real name" separate for the first and last name? Or is it one field and I can set it to something else? I'm afraid not, but it won't hurt to ask...

Looks just like the PS3 which is a disappointment to me. I like the metro game interface and was hoping the entire interface would look like that.

Top Bottom