• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Month After Release Only 30% Of Final Fantasy XV Players Finished It, Now It's 60%

Koozek

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/a...0-final-fantasy-15-players-finished-the-game/

"There's a certain metric we use to judge success," Tabata said through a translator. "After one month from the game's release, how many players had completed the game, seen the ending, was actually very low. Only 30% one month after."

"After that, as we continued to go back to the game - we promised this before release, we're not going to release it and be done with it - and I feel we very much have achieved that. Because recently we checked that metric again, and [the completion rate] is now up to 60%. That really fills us with a lot of confidence, and it's justified our approach, so it's something I'm very happy with."

Another way to read the metric is that around 40% of people who bought FF15 still haven't finished the game. That's a fairly cruel take though, as many players buy games and never finish them.
---

EDIT: No these numbers are not from PSNProfiles, lol. Read the article.
This is Tabata stating the numbers, not Kotaku. From the article:
"In an interview with Hajime Tabata at Gamescom, the developer revealed that the company's internal analysis showed [...]"​

Soulflarz

Banned
I refuse to believe 60% of everyone who bought FF15 finished it.

Mainly because I only know one person (out of...8?) who returned to it after dropping it :x

Alt: Open world games take more than a month for your average consumer and in reality this 30%->60% doesn't mean anything.

Kurdel

Banned
60% is really impressive for that game.

The ending was the best part, and had the only character development, I am glad a lot of people got to see it!

I refuse to believe 60% of everyone who bought FF15 finished it.

It's not hard, quite linear and takes like 25 hours to finish.

I think that's more a result of it being a big open world RPG. It takes me several months to complete these kind of games and I'm sure many others are the same.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Makes sense for a huge game like that

And 60% completion is pretty fucking great, looking at trophy/achievement rarity for even decent linear games shows that alot of the time theres very few people actually finishing some games, even months after release

Tbf though its not as long as most rpgs, but jut surpised it was that high with allthe complaints the game has, which is alot of bad choices IMO

Marcel

If you look at ending trophies/achievements for games across the board you'll be surprised how many games are purchased and left unfinished.

Neo-Ryudo

Finished it twice, once was 200 hours the second time i did a level 1 run, took about 30 hours i think. will deffo play again when the mobile version is out.

Kyzer

Banned
I got to final battle and literally just didnt even care and decided I hated the game. The previous chapter was really just a nail in a moldy coffin

Got a few hours in and once word got out that the late game was trash but they had plans to patch it I stopped.

Never returned. I keep meaning to but 2017 has been a heck of a year

sibarraz

Banned
It took me 55 hours to finish the game, and I dropped the game 2 weeks after release only to return at it 1 month later, so it doesn't really surprises me

I call bullshit :/

Better and more tightly paced open world games still only manage 30%-40% completion. I have a hard time believing FFXV somehow got to 60%.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Actually not that surprised. I think a lot of people actually sat on the game because they kept announcing updates. I bought it at launch and didn't start/beat it until like 6 months later.

Griss

The ending is the only part where the game rises above 'deeply mediocre' to something I might describe as 'good' so I'm glad so many people have seen it. 60% is a LOT for a game this big.

Honestly once the game goes linear it's a much better experience from that point on, with the exception of that disastrous stealth chapter. It's the open world game design and rest of the story that fails hard.

Marcel

I call bullshit :/

Better and more tightly paced open world games still only manage 30%-40% completion. I have a hard time believing FFXV somehow got to 60%.

Tabata might be combining the completion rates of both Xbox and PS4 because on PS4 the completion rate seems to be around 30%, yes.

I think that's more a result of it being a big open world RPG. It takes me several months to complete these kind of games and I'm sure many others are the same.

The game is easily beatable in ~25 hours. I did it in 10 days and that was including getting my fill of sidequests. It's not nearly as demanding as, say, BOTW or Phantom Pain.

I guess maybe there's a chance people spend so long with the world they don't realize the main story is nowhere near as long as it seems.

sibarraz

Banned
The ending is the only part where the game rises above 'deeply mediocre' to something I might describe as 'good' so I'm glad so many people have seen it. 60% is a LOT for a game this big.

Honestly once the game goes linear it's a much better experience from that point on, with the exception of that disastrous stealth chapter. It's the open world game design and rest of the story that fails hard.

I don't know, when you leave the continent and start traveling in train the game gets terrible, meanwhile I enjoyed traveling in the car. The problem was the terrible sidequests

Koozek

Kotaku are clearly basing it on the psnprofiles figure (60.33%)

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5611-final-fantasy-xv

When they should be basing it on the psn figures (42.5%)
Ah makes sense.
PSNProfiles is not the right one to be using, yeah. That is auditing a site of enthusiast trophy hunters, not the large userbase of Playstation 4.

"In an interview with Hajime Tabata at Gamescom, the developer revealed that the company's internal analysis showed [...]"​

CheckMate

You could toggle Easy Mode (Full Party Revive + OP Buffs) at any time with no penalties. The main campaign is also 20 hours long.

SkylineRKR

Game is really short if you don't travel for the sidequests. I think I did quite a bit of them and still finished below 30 hours.

jonno394

"In an interview with Hajime Tabata at Gamescom, the developer revealed that the company's internal analysis showed"​

I admittedly didn't read the article/op fully as i assumed it was automatically incorrect, but if psn shows 40% then either 80% of xbox owners have finished it or something is wrong somewhere.

farisr

I've owned the game since November, didn't get around to finishing it till last month. So wouldn't be surprised at other people taking their time, or not having time near release, to finish it.

Top Bottom