• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Month After Release Only 30% Of Final Fantasy XV Players Finished It, Now It's 60%

Marcel

This is Tabata stating the numbers, not Kotaku. From the article:
"In an interview with Hajime Tabata at Gamescom, the developer revealed that the company's internal analysis showed [...]"​

Then I go back to what I said earlier. They are most likely using data collected from both Xbox and PS4 and creating a percentage based on said data.

Rellik

I just looked at my trophies which is obviously only PS4

screenshot_20170823-2qas22.png

The game is easily beatable in ~25 hours. I did it in 10 days and that was including getting my fill of sidequests. It's not nearly as demanding as, say, BOTW or Phantom Pain.

I guess maybe there's a chance people spend so long with the world they don't realize the main story is nowhere near as long as it seems.

25 hours is still a long game. I started Prey at the beginning of August and I'm only 12 hours in. Many people don't have a lot of free time and if you play other stuff like multiplayer titles then it can take a good chunk of time to finish a big single player campaign.

I just dont think the examples used here are indicative of them bringing people back as it is people taking their time to reach the credits

Isn't that pretty high?

Great to hear, the game is awesome.

I remember going to a GDC talk a few years back that depressed many of us because statistically, not very many people complete games. Especially RPGs. If I remember they used a shooter and an RPG as an example and while the shooter had more people completing it, it was less than 30%. I am sure a site or two picked up the statistic but it's been so long...

Edit: Found a few articles actually though some are not from GDC...
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...nish_your_game__and_thats_not_a_bad_thing.php
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/gdc-most-players-dont-finish-games
http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/features.cfm?read=11030&game=0&ismb=1

ethomaz

Banned
Theories says otherwise... weird.

More around 40% finished it.
Edit - Ohhhhh PSN Profile... makes sense.

The game is 20 hours long so it would be kind of nuts if it was much lower.
Wonder how many people waited for updates. Took me 3 months because I was waiting for the "December" patch that didn't come out till February I think?

PSN trophies for finishing chapter 14 are 39%

Something isn't adding up
Even 39% is pretty high... Anecdotally, I like to check that stat on games and it's not common to see over 30%.

I mean, 39% is the percentage of people in GTA V that even 'reached Trevor' :p

(GTAO considered, it still emphasizes a point I think hehe. 60% would be unheard from trophy data that I've seen)

Chris R

I'd be more interested in hearing how many people have put 10+ hours into the game AFTER beating it.

I wanted to beat it to be able to properly place it on my GOTY list but didn't. Only got around to forcing myself to play it in February this year. After beating the game it went into it's case and then to Gamestop.

Koozek

I'm sure SE doesn't have accurate analysis of player statistics themselves and should rather ask GAF experts.

I would bet their "internal" 60% figure is out of some smaller subset... Maybe, people who made it past Chapter 5 or people who played for more than 10 hours, or something. Because the true number is demonstrably between 28% and 42%.

I'm sure SE doesn't have accurate analysis of player statistics themselves and should rather ask GAF experts.

Numbers in this thread come directly from XBL and PSN, no GAF expertise required

c0de

60% is stupidly high.

Yes but you have to keep in mind that at a certain step, you can't go back and almost have to finish the game. That said, I would have expected more people would give up in chapter 13 because they can't be bothered to go further and further and further...

It deserves to be finished. The ending is amazing.

I agree. For its many flaws, the ending really hit me. I enjoyed the 80 hours that I put into it though its on the lower end of my FF ranking.

That being said, that percentage is pretty interesting; I would want to see how many players completed Persona 5 or Nier Automata for comparison's sake.

Reset

60% for an open world game is pretty good.

Yes but you have to keep in mind that at a certain step, you can't go back and almost have to finish the game. That said, I would have expected more people would give up in chapter 13 because they can't be bothered to go further and further and further...

You can go back if you talk to the dog.

Koozek

I would bet their "internal" 60% figure is out of some smaller subset... Maybe, people who made it past Chapter 5 or people who played for more than 10 hours, or something. Because the true number is demonstrably between 28% and 42%.

Numbers in this thread come directly from XBL and PSN, no GAF expertise required
Guys. It's in the OP:
[...] how many players had completed the game, seen the ending [...]​

FinalAres

I imagine they're basing it on people who have at least made some inroads in to the game. So say played the first hour. Which I think is reasonable.

Even though I bought the PS4 version plus the season pass at launch, I haven't put more than 5 hours into it and will probably just get the PC version. Hopefully it's gotten much better.

Yeah, 60% is clearly not believable. Those who think otherwise probably haven't taken a look at descending trophy rarity for games with story-based trophies. 60% for a completion trophy in a game that's more than 2-4 hrs long is literally non-existent afaik.

I imagine they're segmenting the population of players to only count those who finished chapter 1 or something like that. Still seems really high, but at least more believable.

n0razi

90% of my game time is driving for 10 minutes to start a quest, only to drive another 10 minutes to the quest location and having to wait for the right 'time' and then driving back another 10 minutes to complete the quest, then going to a hotel to get xp ... rinse and repeat

FinalAres

90% of my game time is driving for 10 minutes to start a quest, only to drive another 10 minutes to the quest location and having to wait for the right 'time' and then driving back another 10 minutes to complete the quest, then going to a hotel to get xp ... rinse and repeat
You know you can skip the drive don't you?

Reset

I'm guessing you're talking about the hunts, when you're accepting the hunts it does give you the option to fast forward so that it'll be tiger night or day.....
And there's also an option to teleport to your location or at least near it so you don't have to wait "10 minutes"...

Also, 30% of people beating the game on its first month it's interesting.
It took me more than a month to beat it with how packed the game was with side content. And I put a lot of my free time on it; I wasn't playing any other game and I have a huge backlog.

I think that 30% shows that people were eager to play the game. Either that or they rushed through the story, which is interesting since they really marketed the open world part of the game.

ethomaz

Banned
Also, 30% of people beating the game on its first month it's interesting.
It took me more than a month to beat it with how packed the game was with side content. And I put a lot of my free time on it; I wasn't playing any other game and I have a huge backlog.

I think that 30% shows that people were eager to play the game. Either that or they rushed through the story, which is interesting since they really marketed the open world part of the game.
Or this number is false like the 60%.

uocooper

I went through my favorite games on psnprofiles.com and looked at the trophy percentages given for completing the game and nearly every one was around 30-35% regardless of genre or length of the game.

I refuse to believe 60% of everyone who bought FF15 finished it.

Mainly because I only know one person (out of...8?) who returned to it after dropping it :x

Alt: Open world games take more than a month for your average consumer and in reality this 30%->60% doesn't mean anything.
Do you know how few people finish games. Most don't even cross 10%. This is huge. You can probably check for yourself and look at trophy percentage completion rates on PSN. Although even that may be disingenuous since people need to sync their trophies.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Damn that seems crazy high for an RPG.

I've been waiting on playing this until the One X comes out, how long does it take to run through the main story line?

FinalAres

I know FFXV was disappointing to many, but let's not forget. Final Fantasy is a massive series, with a long legacy and a rabid fanbase (hey!). That so many completed this 25 hour game is more a symptom of it being a mainline Final Fantasy than any indicator of its quality. I do love the game, but it could have been FF13 again and it'd be a similar stat. Okay maybe not 13, but one of the other ones.

Koozek

I agree. For its many flaws, the ending really hit me. I enjoyed the 80 hours that I put into it though its on the lower end of my FF ranking.

That being said, that percentage is pretty interesting; I would want to see how many players completed Persona 5 or Nier Automata for comparison's sake.
I don't wanna know the number of people who finished Automata, but only Ending A :/ That's almost like quitting Wild Arms 1 after its fake credits
at the funeral
a few hours in or I don't know, quitting FFVII after leaving Midgar :D

And real talk, I honestly might have not continued playing Automata either if I hadn't read on GAF and in reviews how integral "replaying" is in this game since I'm usually not the type to get every ending in games (I hate it when games have several ending and I didn't get the "true" ending in my first playthrough, ugh). But maaan, the way Automata did it was so cool; okay, maybe Route B could've been handled differently, though maybe the way it is was the point of it. If I had quit after Ending A it would've felt really unsatisfying and during the ending scene
I felt something was off the whole time and it didn't feel like a real happy ending

EDIT: Apparently the trophy rarities for Automata (actually Ending E) and Persona 5 on PSN are:
Nier Automata -
The Minds That Emerged
(View the final credits) = 27.4%

Persona 5 -
A New Journey
(See the ending) = 30.6%

Gator86

That seems insanely high, for any game much less FFXV. I couldn't make it past 12-15 hours or so before sending it away.

25 hours is still a long game. I started Prey at the beginning of August and I'm only 12 hours in. Many people don't have a lot of free time and if you play other stuff like multiplayer titles then it can take a good chunk of time to finish a big single player campaign.

I just dont think the examples used here are indicative of them bringing people back as it is people taking their time to reach the credits

Good point. I guess I was in the mindset of comparing it to other RPGs/open world games. It's true that 25 hours is no joke for more casual players.

DxD

Banned
Even if it is 30%, that's good for a rpg. Completion rate for most games is already low, like in the teens.

sasliquid

I would to but my parents are trying to sell their house and so people are visiting it and my copy has gone mysteriously missing

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Does their internal data also provide metrics on how many were satisfied upon completion?

Top Bottom