• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Month After Release Only 30% Of Final Fantasy XV Players Finished It, Now It's 60%

Koozek

30% on one system and 28% on the other... it's still less than 30% of players, certainly not 60%.
And people buy it again, lol. Square Enix is the master of turning negatives into huge positives.

Still it convinces the fans, so why bother to tell the truth.
Where do you get your numbers from? PSN is at ~42%, you can check that yourself on the PS4 right now.

FinalAres

I'm calling bullshit on that.

30% of FFXV owners completed the game in the first month!? That's rather high.

I love stats and since I'm a stat dork, I always enjoy looking at the percentages of who has what trophies/achievements. Look at any single player game and the majority I have seen, a smaller percentage actually finish a game.

In fact, there's usually a pretty steep drop off between completing a Chapter 1 level vs a Chapter 2 level.
It will be 60% of people who completed the game, out of a base of people who at least put some time into the game.

So many people buy games they just don't play at all, not due to the quality of the game but just because they have too much, that it makes sense to rebase the sample on people who actually put an hour plus into the game.

Famassu

In fact, there's usually a pretty steep drop off between completing a Chapter 1 level vs a Chapter 2 level.
There usually is, but then there are also games that don't follow that trend. IIRC, games like Dark Souls have surprisingly high completion percentages, especially considering the games are relatively challenging. You'd imagine those if any would be the kind where more & more people would fail to advance in and give up on after a few levels/areas, but then they have, like, half & half people who have managed to finish them vs people who haven't played them through.

Maybe FFXV just isn't generally thought to be the shitstain of a game that so many here make it to be and people enjoy the sense & scale of adventure & more active participation in combat so much that it carries them through the game more often than with other games.

Every psn region has different numbers, also i dont understand why everyone keeps trying to debunk this with trophies when SE has better data than us.

They probably just have some algorithm that excludes non-unique users (same PS4/device) or subtracted the amount of people who literally merely started the game. For a more realistic number.

Another interpretation could be they measured only the people starting in the first 3 months and then compared that to people starting in the time frame after the updates.

What's weird to me is that they think 30% for an open world RPG is exceptionally low. Everyone knows by now that that is a normal completion rate for a game.

I'm btw in the camp that hasn't finished the game yet as they keep updating a kind of game that I wanted to have in its final form on my first play. Bought at release and then dropped it like a hot potato once they announced their plans.

Oh and regionally divided trophy sets fucking suck. And that's not normal for most game I think? Can't compare trophies with my friend in FFXV because of it :/

Koozek

Do they define what 'finished it' means? Chapter 14 completion percentage on Xbox is less than 30%.
It's in the OP:
[...] how many players had completed the game, seen the ending [...]​

On PS4 the completion rate is ~42% currently if you look it up. Though to make the data more relevant for them they might have only counted those that played at least the first chapter, or hell, even at all; like 4.2% didn't even properly started the game (on PS4):
Prologue is 95.8%
Chapter 1 is 84.1%
Chapter 2 is 78.4%

BigEmil

I nearly dropped it half way as I wasn't enjoying it but pushed myself through, preordered it full price at least get more use out of the game. Then once finished and play as much side stuff then instantly sold it, I only keep good games.

Shifty1897

Yeah, some people just can't finish a 50+ long game in a month. Heck, some can't do it in three months, even if it's the only thing they play. Free time is relative.

EDIT: Also 60% is extremely rare for a AAA release, especially an open world RPG. People freaked when it came out that Heavy Rain had a 72% completion rate and it's a fraction of the play time. I'm calling bull on that number.

Rellik

the saddest story though has to be Transformers Devastation

used to be worst but it seems i erased that picture a while ago, but you can see all trophies are very rare to ultra rare

even Afro Samurai (though it was super short) has better stats

Wasn't that on PS Plus?

Those games have very low rates because people try them and delete after 20 minutes. I'm guilty of it myself.

Rival

Gold Member
It will be the next game I "return" to right after I finish breath of the wild, uncharted lost legacy, final fantasy 12 zodiac age, and persona 5. Once I complete those I will start final fantasy 15 over. I figure at my current rate of completion if I don't ever buy another game I should be able to get to it by 2021.

spons

Gold Member
I just hit chapter 9 and it's an odd game. Visually it's appalling in its every aspect, it's really one of the worst games in terms of art design I've seen in the past couple of years. The aliasing and what seems to be some kind of ghosting effect really hurts my eyes. I'm not even joking here - I can't play for more than an hour without getting tired because of the graphics.

I am going to complete the game, even with all the fetch quests, targets to kill and God knows how many of those Potion/Repair Kit quests that litter the game world. Now that I've invested so much time in it, I just want to end it properly.

n0razi

You know you can fast-travel to outposts/parking spots/etc., right (obviously with 40-90 seconds or so of loading time)? :D

Sometimes 90 seconds of loading screen feels worse than 10 minutes of active driving

I feel that we shouldnt have these issues with 8GB ram

Koozek

Sometimes 90 seconds of loading screen feels worse than 10 minutes of active driving

I feel that we shouldnt have these issues with 8GB ram
Name me an open-world RPG with faster fast-travel. Honest question. I remember Witcher 3 on my PC having pretty short load times (at least when traveling in the same continent/region where there are shared assets used for the environment).

First game since The Witcher 3 i've really gone out of my way to finish nearly all the sidequests. It really is a rewarding game imo. Some of the big bosses (the giant tortoise) spell out some of the technical problems but that was about it for me.

There are much worse games out there that don't need completing.

PixelatedBookake

First game since The Witcher 3 i've really gone out of my way to finish nearly all the sidequests. It really is a rewarding game imo. Some of the big bosses (the giant tortoise) spell out some of the technical problems but that was about it for me.

I dunno why but I did almost all the sidequests too. Even the ones that were repetitive/dumb. It was a great podcast game.

Kieli

I'm stuck in chapter 3, but 20 hours into the game. I thought the sidequests were pretty terrible. They mostly consisted of kill "x" of this, or collect some of "y", or bring item "w" to location "z".

Top Bottom