• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which 3D Mario should I start with?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Voted for Galaxy 1. Is by far my favorite of the 3D ones.

Mario 64 is great, but hasn't aged very well IMO.

Galaxy 2 is very good, but feels less cohesive than the first, and I missed the overworld and story of the first.

If you only have enough time for one, play 3D World. 64 hasn't aged well, Sunshine is too frustrating. Both Galaxy games are wonderful, but there's no point in just playing one. You won't want to stop.

3D World is a wonderful game, stands more or less alone, is easy to pick up and play, and covers a lot of the 3D Mario tropes. It's the one for you.

yansolo

galaxy 1+2 are the best mario games by far, easily some of the best platforming id say start with these 2

3d world is also awesome but i feel its a bit of a simpler game compared to the galaxy's

mario 64 is og but in all honesty i dont think its aged well and its probably harder to stick with

mario sunshine is also pretty good but probably the worst of the mario 3d games

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I will never forget that time that I pushed the stick upwards were I wanted to go and Mario decided to walk a wide turn and he fell of in the exact opposite direction.

I swear this what happened and I don't understand why, I raged quit after that, it was in Bowser world 1, was trying to get the last red coin, was playing Wii virtual console version.
VHvzDSj.png
This happened to me on the rainbow level. I was teetering on the edge of the moving carpet, pulled the stick away to come back to the center, and Mario decided to dona wide arc turn and walk off the fucking platform. Mario 64 has some flawed controls no doubt about it. And the camera. Oh my fucking god the camera. Lakitu is the worst camera man ever. No wonder he was fired.

This opinion is just that, an opinion. Surely you must understand these types of discussions are always subjective?

I'd agree not a good game for a beginner, but it's easily my favourite in the series and a worthy sequel to 64.
Sure, but recommending it and 64 as a place to start in the series in 2017 is nuts. Both Galaxy games exist, they're both phenomenal, are much more modernized, don't carry any of the trash that Sunshine does at its worst, and are ageless.

If you only have time for one, play Galaxy 2. It's the second best game of all time and the best of its generation. I maintain everyone should give it a try, and the rewards you reap from playing such a finely tuned masterpiece are beyond what the medium has to offer.

Since the thread has decided on Mario 64, where is the best place to play it?
I'm totally down to clown with the DS version and prefer it thanks to refinements, more stars, and the mini games.

The N64 has better controls but looks kind of terrible and the controller is still pretty terrible itself.

tsundoku

dont play 64. play 3d world if you want to be set up going into odessy.
whatever you do play 64 last. mario has this fantastic forwards momentum in 64 and the absolute best longjump that just got murdered over time chronologically

Zutrax

I love them all, Sunshine is hands down my favorite.

But frankly Sunshine is also a bad starting spot.

If you can ignore dated control schemes and graphics, easily start with 64, if you want something a bit more modern, start with Galaxy.

Familiarize yourself with the Mario formula with the games that have more forgiving design elements. Then you can move on to the more experimental ones like Sunshine or 3D World. Play Galaxy 2 after the first one to get an appreciation of the improvements because it's harder to go back to Galaxy 1 after playing 2.

cHinzo

64 would be a great experience as ur first 3D Mario, since it's one big playground outside the levels to get used to the controls and stuff. Also love the amount of secrets in that game and the platforming, minus the flying carpets were fun too.

Voidwolf

Play them in order and don't skip any of them regardless of what others may say.

Otherwise you won't understand the story.

Hakai

SM64 is still the best in the whole series. Glad people voted right!

Also don't listen to people complaining about controls, it is the best Mario moveset in a 3D Mario game.
It feels awesome to control and play around with his movements, it is one of the reasons why this game is so popular for speedruns.

SM64 is still the best in the whole series. Glad people voted right!
Heh, well, not to be a stickler, but don't misread this poll. The question wasn't "Which 3-D Mario game is the best?" but rather "Which 3-D Mario game should I play first?" According to the replies here, most people who voted for 64 also assumed he would eventually move on to the Galaxy series next. That, plus you have to consider that there are two Galaxy games (totaling 46% together currently) versus a single Mario 64 option.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's likely that Galaxy 1/2 would be giving M64 a run for its money for overall game quality (and probably easily exceed it in fact) if the question was asked and a single option was given of either Galaxy 1 or 2 versus M64. ;)

JeTmAn81

64DS on 3DS.

Why on earth...there's no true analog controls on this version, DS or 3DS. I'm not usually someone to be finicky about little things like that but it really makes it less satisfying to play, especially if you're played the original N64 version.

AdanVC

Play them in order, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 and 2, 3D World. Crazy there's only 5 main 3D Mario games since 1996. Quality over quantity done right!

My faves are: ALL OF THEM! But if I had to choose the one I dislike the most, it would be Sunshine. Just thinking about the Hotel and Volcano levels makes me feel like crying due to how badly designed they are. I'm already spoiling but oh well, you will still enjoy Sunshine anyways.

64DS has some extra stuff that I honestly didn't really care about enough to offset the control scheme. I certainly wouldn't consider it a replacement for 64.

GamerJM

Banned
On a CRT with an RGB modded N64

Wii VC with component cables isn't a bad way to play it either if you want good picture quality but don't want to go through the trouble of RGB modding an N64. N64 with S-video is also a good option if you want a "pure," experience. All on a CRT of course.

Project 64 should probably be the "best," option for most people, but if you actually care about doing things legally you're going to have to get a Retrode 64 or something similar to dump the game.
I know most people don't since Nintendo isn't getting any money from used N64 game sales but I'm just bringing this up.

ec0ec0

Now that 64 was chosen...

OP, the main thing that sets 64 (and sunshine) apart from all the newer mario games, is the dive (the "b" button), so i recommend you to test the following stuff (just give me a minute) outside of peach's castle, right when you start the game, before you enter any level.

this is a gif in slow motion, from a speedrun (it's an exaggerated use, obviously) were you can see the dive being used in conjuntion with mario's jumps:

34WUPOJ.gif

Using the dive on the ground:

In 64 (unlike sunshine) you have to be in a "running state" to be able to use the dive. Then, you do it by pressing the "b" button, and, as soon as mario touches the ground, you press "a" or "b" (i can't remember) to do the follow-up (repeat).

On the ground, the dive allows you to quickly traverse big levels and adds variety to the game.

Using the dive on the air:

You can, either do the dive when you are already at the peak of your jump, or do it in the startup frames of your jump (sliding your thumb from "a" to "b"), to instantly cancel your jump with a dive, and get a jump dive (a dive, but with more heigh/travel distance).

You can cancel your regular jump, double jump, triple jump and back flip with a dive (the height/travel distance, of the resulting jump dive, will depend on which jump you canceled with the dive, higher jump = higher jump dive).

You can even use the dive after a wall kick!!

The dive can enhance platforming, if the player is up to it. An example: you feel a greater sense of commitment when using a jump dive, instead of a regular jump, to jump over a cliff. Why? well, once you press the "b" button, unlike with a regular jump, you can no longer alter mario's trayectory. There is something really satisfying about mario's parabolic trajectory in the air, and how you he starts falling to his doom after reaching the peak of his jump dive. If you misjudged, prior to committing to the jump dive, you are dead :p

With your regular jumps, you can jump either really high (the triple jump) or really far (the long jump), but you can't do both, in the same jump. Combining your jumps with the dive, however, you can. For example, the result of canceling the startup of a triple jump with a dive, is a jump dive, with the height of the triple jump + the travel distance/momentum of the dive.

Whith the long jump, mario travels a big horizontal distance, while staying close to ground level. However, with a big jump dive, mario can do the same, while also reaching a high height, before starting to fall.

You don't have to use the dive, but it's there, and it's fun.

With the exception of Galaxy, each of the games stand out on their own in different ways. But if you want to see the progression, I recommend this order.

For the open sandbox:
Mario 64 -> Sunshine -> Odyssey

For the linear games:
Galaxy 1->2
Super Mario 3D Land -> 3D World

EDIT:
Originally Posted by pretty done

Don't play 64 DS

It has a run button lmao

I would love it if someone modded the game to add back in analog control. That would be on the level of properly restoring the ecce homo painting to its former glory.

Now that 64 was chosen...

OP, the main thing which sets 64 (and sunshine) apart from all the newer mario games, is the dive (the "b" button), so i recommend you to test the following stuff (just give me a minute) outside of peach's castle, right when you start the game, before you enter any level.

this is a gif in slow motion, from a speedrun (it's an exaggerated use, obviouly, but i needed a gif so that the post wan't all text only) were you can see the dive being used multiple times.

34WUPOJ.gif

Using the dive on the ground:

In 64 (unlike sunshine) you have to be in a "running state" to get access to it. After that, you do it by pressing the "b" button, then, as soon as mario touches the ground, you press "a" or "b" (i can't remember) to do the follow-up (repeat).

On the ground, the dive allows you to quickly traverse big levels and adds variety to the game.

Using the dive on the air:

You can, either do the dive when you are already at the peak of your jump, or do it in the startup frames of your jump (sliding your thumb from "a" to "b"), to instantly cancel your jump with a dive, and get a jump dive (a dive, but with more heigh/travel distance).

You can cancel your regular jump, double jump, triple jump and back flip with a dive (the height/travel distance, of the resulting jump dive, will depend on which jump you canceled with the dive, higher jump = higher jump dive).

You can even use the dive after a wall kick!!

The dive can enhance platforming, if the player is up to it. An example: you feel a greater sense of commitment when using a jump dive, instead of a regular jump, to jump over a cliff. Why? well, once you press the "b" button, unlike with a regular jump, you can no longer alter mario's trayectory in the air. There is something really satisfying about mario's parabolic trajectory in the air, and how you he starts falling to his doom after reaching the peak of his jump dive. If you misjudged, prior to committing to the jump dive, you are dead :p

With your regular jumps, you can jump either really high (the triple jump) or really far (the long jump), but you can't do both at the same time, in the same jump. Combining your jumps with the dive, however, you can. For example, the result of canceling the startup of a triple jump with a dive, is a jump dive, with the height of the triple jump + the travel distance/momentum of the dive.

Whith the long jump, mario travels a big horizontal distance, while staying close to ground level. However, with a big jump dive, mario can do the same, while also reaching a high height, before starting to fall.

You don't have to use the dive, but it's there, and it's fun.

I also like to add that if you somersault and press B at the right time, it looks like Mario is flying and landing or hitting objects this way is great. You can also repeatedly use this once Mario touches the ground or picks himself up if you get the timing right. I think its also easier and quicker in sunshine and is really fun to use it in secret levels with rotating log platforms.

Hakai

Heh, well, not to be a stickler, but don't misread this poll. The question wasn't "Which 3-D Mario game is the best?" but rather "Which 3-D Mario game should I play first?" According to the replies here, most people who voted for 64 also assumed he would eventually move on to the Galaxy series next. That, plus you have to consider that there are two Galaxy games (totaling 46% together currently) versus a single Mario 64 option.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's likely that Galaxy 1/2 would be giving M64 a run for its money for overall game quality (and probably easily exceed it in fact) if the question was asked and a single option was given of either Galaxy 1 or 2 versus M64. ;)

I did not. I affirmed it was, and was happy to see people voted it to be pleyed first.

Also seems a little unfair to compare two games against only one don't you think?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Playing 64 _today_ instead of Galaxy is pure nonsense.

If you can play only one game, get Galaxy 2.
Mario 64 is probably the most influential 3D game Nintendo ever made. So it's absolutely worth a play through, but going back to it after Galaxy 2 is going to be tough.

ec0ec0

I also like to add that if you somersault and press B at the right time, it looks like Mario is flying and landing or hitting objects this way is great. You can also repeatedly use this once Mario touches the ground or picks himself up if you get the timing right. I think its also easier and quicker in sunshine and is really fun to use it in secret levels with rotating log platforms.

I'm not sure i'f picturing this in my head. What are the inputs? with "somersault", do you mean the one that appears in the 64 manual as "backward somersault"? (i googled "mario 64 manual")

daTRUballin

As some others have already said, just play them in order. Start with 64 and when you have the time, play the rest chronologically. Why not? Seems like the easiest and most simple way to go.

You probably shouldn't skip any of them. Don't listen to the people saying skip this or that. If you do, you're not going to get to experience some of these games just because some forum posters with their own opinions told you to do so. And you might potentially miss out on any games in the series you would've liked.

Basically, just play them in order.

Play them in order.

Judging from the previews, sm64 will be the best introduction to odyssey.

Don't play the ds version of 64, the controls suck unless you have the old thumbstrap, and even then they're not great.

They're all great (though Sunshine has it's...annoyances) But if you want to go straight to the good stuff play the Galaxy games.

Top Bottom