• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which 3D Mario should I start with?

rjc571

Banned
Mario 64 can be skipped -- the controls have a really fucked up sense of weight and momentum, the level designs are boring and empty and typically feature obtuse objectives like touching treasure chests in a random order (with no hint on what the correct order is and if you guess wrong you take damage), and the camera is infuriatingly terrible. Play the rest in order starting with Sunshine.

EDIT: If you only have time for one game, make it Galaxy. Then set aside some more time for Galaxy 2.

JediLink

There's no bad option here, but I'd say if you can only play one, give Sunshine and 3D World lower priority. They're both very good but 64 and both Galaxy games are GOAT tier.

goldenpp72

Considering how different each game is, you should at the very least try these and go from there.

Super Mario 64
Super Mario Galaxy (2 is superior, but 1 is still amazing)
Super Mario 3d World (with friends makes it GOAT, if you can't get friends on board, go with 3d Land if you wish)

All of them are worth playing, but the 3 styles of sorts are worth trying. If you HAVE to pick 1, i'd try Galaxy 1 only because the smallish hubworld evokes a limited scale version of the bigger 3D games, while also having the platforming focus that began with these and continued in the 3D Land/World series.

CJY

Banned
I've never really played many Nintendo games in my day sadly, and only owned a Wii for a small period of time growing up. I've been trying to play more of the well known and touted Nintendo franchises, or atleast a handful of the best.

After Odyssey's amazing showing at this year's E3 I have been really tempted to play a 3D Mario game from the old days. I'm torn between Sunshine, Mario 64 and Galaxy 1/2. I'll be playing these games from emulation when I get to whichever one.

I was wondering, GAF, which one would be the best for me to start with before Odyssey comes out this Fall?

EDIT: Clarifying because of limited time I want to allocate to other games, I really only have time for one of these games leading up to Odyssey.

If you're only going to play one, it's got to be Galaxy, but I don't know what the emulation is like for this game. I heard it's pretty good with motion controls and everything. I have to say though that emulation is not a good way to experience these games at all. To each their own though

If you have time for one game it's an easy answer.... Galaxy, try to find time for Galaxy 2 as well if you can.

Would not go with Sunshine, it's the worst one out of the bunch, glitches, unfinished etc(still a good game but mediocre for Mario).

Mario 64 is a classic and it changed the industry, but like the first Super Mario Bros. it has definitely aged.

rudger

If you can pick only one, then it has to be 64.

Sunshine is kind of the oddball and not a good jumping off point, and the rest are a series of great small levels, but the lack of a hub world ultimately makes them feel like level packs. Galaxy 1 gets closest to feeling like a full world...galaxy.

But the castle in Mario 64 is unparalleled and the levels are interesting puzzles you'll likely always remember.

trixx

I going to agree with release order because if you start with galaxy or 3d world you might find it pretty hard to get into 64/sunshine though they are really good.

If only one game maybe galaxy/galaxy 2 to be honest

So it seems pretty evenly divided between Mario 64 and either of the Galaxy games. Both sides are really making a case for both of em. Can I add a poll or anything to my post? Do you guys think I should make a straw poll for this?

Totally, that sounds fun! I would also play Galaxy 1 over 2, while i think 2 is arguable the better game its important to see where the small refinements come from to notice its brilliance, as well as 1 having a far more important impact.

Play Mario 64

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm itching to play Mario 64 again myself but currently the Switch is the only Nintendo system I have access to.

Oh if only Nintendo wanted my money...

Pizza

Since you only have time for one before Odessey, I'd say 64 for sure, followed by sunshine if you want more(its sweet but I don't think anyone would hang you up for not finishing it)

Galaxy 1/2 are halfway between 64 and 3D world as far as level design goes, so I think they're the skippable ones here. 3D world is a masterpiece, but it's a totally different beast

Start with 64 for prime athletic Mario and Sunshine for an intro to athletic Mario + Gimmick Friend before the Mario's hat game

catbrush

Skip Galaxy. Especially Galaxy 1. Worst move set in a Mario game. The waggle spin is a terrible addition that weakens combat and level design. There are some occasional cool gimmicks (and bad ones like the blue Stars that you have to aim your wiimote at to make Mario float to) but the game constantly wastes your time in favor of a bad story, score tallying screens and cutscenes of Mario flying through space. Galaxy 2 cuts some of the fat but 3D World is the goat.

mazillion

If its between 64 and Galaxy I say 64. Not only is it an all time classic but it is also the roots of Odyssey, might you better context for where it's coming from and maybe you can appreciate Odyssey more.

Galaxy might have a little more fun factor for a newcomer though.

big_z

Mario 64, then galaxy 2. skip galaxy 1 unless you crave more. the first galaxy isn't as refined as the second.

3DShovel

I'm not ok with the amount of hate 3D World is getting here. Play it with someone it's amazing.

3D World is actually the best 3D Mario IMO.

I might be in the minority, but I could never get into the Galaxy games. The control scheme never sat well with me...

I've never actually completed the Galaxy games, but I can finish 64, Sunshine, and 3D World over a weekend with a smile plastered all over my face.

Cindro

Mario 64 for sure. The jump between 64 to Odyssey will be far more mind-blowing than the jump from Galaxy 1/2 to Odyssey. You'll start with the original 3D Mario (which I just replayed last week, getting all 120 stars, and it's still a masterpiece for sure), and then you'll leap ahead in the franchise by 20 years.

It will be an awesome progression and will make Odyssey feel that much more amazing. You can then go back and play Galaxy 1/2 and Sunshine afterwards, if you're so inclined.

Dies Iræ

Play in order. 64 -> Galaxy -> Galaxy 2.

When you play Galaxy and Galaxy 2, play via Dolphin in HD if possible. Gorgeous games that look awful on Wii. You won't appreciate Mario Galaxy if you start with it.

Dies Iræ;241491708 said:

When you play Galaxy and Galaxy 2, play via Dolphin in HD if possible. Gorgeous games that look awful on Wii. You won't appreciate Mario Galaxy if you start with it.

Actually, despite my vote for Galaxy, I find I didn't appreciate 64 after growing up with Sunshine, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2. Maybe it'd be better to play that first; some of the mechanics really haven't aged well, and it's obvious coming off of the newer Mario games.

trixx

Dies Iræ;241491708 said:

Won't appreciate it but probably have the most fun. 64 is fun because of the movement and the freedom that mario has to reach the star. Galaxy is fun from a level design standpoint. Hard to chose but since the poster can only play through 1, I'm going to say galaxy because it will probably be the easiest to get into though I think 64 is more fun.

Or you can play 64 and if your not having fun by the first 10 stars or so you can probably just do galaxy. I think the beginning levels of 64 are pretty fun so.. If this is possible of course.

big fake

So as we get closer to 64 seems like Mario 64 is gonna win it out. Anyone who hasn't voted go ahead and do it now, it's gonna be the best way to convince me.

hatchx

Banned
64 and Galaxy.

I know you only said one game before Odyssey, but I don't think you'll be able to put either down.

Galaxy or 3D World, toss a coin

Both produced a big smile on my face, but I think the feeling of Galaxy the first time can't be topped.

SephLuis

So as we get closer to 64 seems like Mario 64 is gonna win it out. Anyone who hasn't voted go ahead and do it now, it's gonna be the best way to convince me.

At the end, the best thing is to play them all.

64 and sunshine offer a big vast world with some amazing controls for platforming that weren't replicated even today (I hope Odyssey brings that back). So you have some of the best levels that will challenge your skills and, due to the freedom the controls give you, you have many, many unique ways to tackle them.

Getting to those levels, however, is a mixture of some tedious activities and other amazing ones.

Galaxy is amazing because of how focused the level design is. They made Mario control's much more simpler, but absolutely nothing goes to waste in this game. Almost everything is a joy and there's always something different in every minute of it. There isn't much of a challenge here, thus why I think it doesn't get to 64/Sunshine levels, but still one amazing game.

Galaxy 2 is an expansion of that. You will want more, but by the time I was finishing Galaxy 2 I had enough. Didn't 100% this one either.

3D World is another amazing entry which, to me, felt like a middle ground between Galaxy tight level design and simplicity with some of the more complex features of the 64/Sunshine games. You can also play with friends, making this one really fun. Alone is great too.

TL;DR Play them all, in order. I doubt anything on your backlog will be better than these games

Afrodium

Banned
Would you be emulating Galaxy 1/2 with a Wiimote/nunchuck combo or mapping the waggle to a gamepad? If so play 64.

If you have that Wiimote though you've gotta go Galaxy 2.

Edit: Ignore anyone saying 64 hasn't aged well. I started playing it again on a whim last week and it's bliss.

Skip sunshine.

Nope. Whatever you do, OP, don't listen to this.

Honestly, I want to tell you start with Mario 64... The controls in 64 are, imo, the pinnacle of the series. What you can pull off in that game if you get good enough is absolutely nuts. There is a beautiful fluidity to it all. On top of that, the music is fantastic and the levels are well designed to be fun to go back to time and time again.

However, if the look of the game is off-putting, I'd just start with Galaxy 1 or 2. I do think the Galaxy games feel quite different to 64 and Sunshine though. Not as fluid. Still great though.

Sunshine is a damn fun game. It has this thing going where the whole game feels connected due to the world design. Makes exploration super fun. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. It's got its problems, no doubt, but if you don't let a couple little things like blue coins ruin an entire game for you then the rest of what's there is well worth the price of admission.

Have fun, OP!

jsnepo

Skipping on Mario Sunshine is bad idea. It has one of the best and tightest platforming in a 3D platformer.

big fake

There it is folks, Mario 64 it is! I'll be doing an LTTP for this once I'm done, whenever that is :D. Thanks for all your help GAF!! I really appreciated the insight!

cFxJV0m.jpg

Top Bottom