• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Beta and Information Thread [Open Beta Live Now]

Ainaurdur

Also, people, don't forget about just attacks (attacking in a rhythm, when character flashes red). The boost in damage is awesome.

It's basically like what you had to do in PSO to get a good combo. I ran into some people back then who for some reason could never get the timing down and just always mashed the attack buttons. I tried to tell them they could improve their damage and accuracy if they timed it right, but they could not understand or didn't care.

Craziness.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You have direct chat enabled for gamepad users, just look at the option guide in the first post to find the correct option to disable :)

You might also have Scroll Lock turned on by accident. I did that once and it would only type for me while I tried to play until I noticed the scroll lock key lit up.

Mistle

Wow haha, was trying to beat the Kartagot mission in under 12min and S rank.
I defeated the last enemy just as it ticked over to 12:00. The timer properly stopped ticking at 12:05 or something. However, it still counted thank god

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Today was a good PSO2 day. Finally got to level 30 (took me about 70 hours), had a great City Quest run with a Cross Burst (we didn't have time to pick up all the items), found a few rares, upgraded my WL to +10 and finished the second page of the Matter Board.
With Mag on lv. 99 I'd say leveling a Force/Ranger and doing Free Exploration/City runs is all that's left for me in the beta.

New screenshots in the album:
ibgXUElGNBd9Nu.jpg

Said cross burst.

iV5q1DtSCFJPe.jpg

And a sea of items.

ibpdivkkaUbrGz.jpg

ibpQfZrvBl6nMw.jpg

Both Matter Board pages finished. Too bad they don't give you anything for it.

ib0g1RmYp5aE62.jpg

The last Desert quest on hard mode isn't easy even on lv 29.

i81hpAwQrCjpi.jpg

Ding 30.

iZUeszjAteWob.jpg

Current gear.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wow, took 70hrs to get to level 30? Is that purposely extra long for the beta?
Well, I've wasted a few hours having the game on and feeding my mag or running around in the lobby and chatting with teammates, but hey - they have to make the leveling long in this kind of game.
Plus they're selling a +100% xp boost, let's not forget about that.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
They are? So people who pay more can level up quicker? Not a fan of that tbh :/
It's a F2P game, what did you expect? :)
At least you can't buy items which have a direct impact on your combat proficiency, only boosters to money/exp/drop rate/instant res/mags and cosmetic items.
Plus a premium account, which is explained in the op.

I guess end game right now is getting that awesome weapon with the best stats that you like, fully grinded(don't know what's the max grind), elemental upgraded. That's a lot of meseta. Looks like some weapons have a limited amount of abilities you can put in. The sword I'm trying to put stats in only has 1 slot while another has 3 or 4.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I guess end game right now is getting that awesome weapon with the best stats that you like, fully grinded(don't know what's the max grind), elemental upgraded. That's a lot of meseta. Looks like some weapons have a limited amount of abilities you can put in. The sword I'm trying to put stats in only has 1 slot while another has 3 or 4.
Pretty much this. Max upgrade is +10, and 7 star and above items are much harder to grind - risk comes higher but the reward is having 10% boost each level (I think).
Too bad you can't add an element to a weapon that doesn't have it though.
But yeah, it costs a lot. Grinding the WL to +10 took me 100k and around 60 grinders I think.

Pretty much this. Max upgrade is +10, and 7 star and above items are much harder to grind - risk comes higher but the reward is having 10% boost each level (I think).
Too bad you can't add an element to a weapon that doesn't have it though.
But yeah, it costs a lot. Grinding the WL to +10 took me 100k and around 60 grinders I think.

btw how much meseta do you have on yourself atm? I need a good way to farm meseta. I guess I could not feed my mag for awhile and just sell weapon in auction or to npc. I'm look through the shops to find any Power stats, then combine all of them to get Power V but I'll need a lot of them so the chances to succeed are higher.

EDIT: Wire Lance OP, dat piledriver skill.

wwm0nkey

It needs to be Thursday already so they can just announce the English version of PSO2. Having a lot of fun with this game but would still like it to be in English lol

PSP2 is todays final game for the twitter thing right?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
btw how much meseta do you have on yourself atm? I need a good way to farm meseta. I guess I could not feed my mag for awhile and just sell weapon in auction or to npc. I'm look through the shops to find any Power stats, then combine all of them to get Power V but I'll need a lot of them so the chances to succeed are higher.
I usually have around 300-400k, but I have yet to find really rare items.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This game is one of the few I can lose track of time in.

It's really good at making it feel like your mistakes are your and you are in control.
Right now me finding loot is pretty crap, but everything vendors for a good amount and some things can sell for 1-2k at levels 12-17.

Explored the attribute system. That stuff is going to get crazy expensive for good rolls... Not sure how the elemental number works or what that means.
Picked up a new set of wLances and made them +4. Does failing a grind on weapons diminish their attack? I think I heard that somewhere. Is that after +5?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
This game is one of the few I can lose track of time in.

It's really good at making it feel like your mistakes are your and you are in control.
Right now me finding loot is pretty crap, but everything vendors for a good amount and some things can sell for 1-2k at levels 12-17.

Explored the attribute system. That stuff is going to get crazy expensive for good rolls... Not sure how the elemental number works or what that means.
Picked up a new set of wLances and made them +4. Does failing a grind on weapons diminish their attack? I think I heard that somewhere. Is that after +5?
Only risk during grinding weapons is a downgrade by 1, 2 or 3 levels (the last one in case of rare weapons), that's all.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Only risk during grinding weapons is a downgrade by 1, 2 or 3 levels (the last one in case of rare weapons), that's all.
Ok great. Used 4 of my grinders to get my new weapon to +4.
Now I have a good Sword, Partisan, and wLance.

Somehow all 3 of my armor pieces are good (+20HP, +20 PATK, extra bonuses and phys def).

Blueblur1

It needs to be Thursday already so they can just announce the English version of PSO2. Having a lot of fun with this game but would still like it to be in English lol

PSP2 is todays final game for the twitter thing right?
Yeah, PSP2 is today and it should be the final game since PSP2i was never released outside of Japan.

How do we know when a city mission starts?

Look/listen for an announcement that mentions both "Arks" and "Darkers" about 15 minutes before the top of the hour. When it begins, the announcement will happen again, and all the video screens in the lobby areas will show EMERGENCY rather than the opening movie. This will last for one hour.

This is me doing matterboard stuff with an emergency mission active, like a boob - note the screen in the background:

JonCha

Isn't there some way to install mods to shows English pop-ups? Seems like an absolute no-brainer, or at least some way to show the English translation alongside the original.

Incidentally, watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look and super tempted to give this a god. Looks super fun.

Look/listen for an announcement that mentions both "Arks" and "Darkers" about 15 minutes before the top of the hour. When it begins, the announcement will happen again, and all the video screens in the lobby areas will show EMERGENCY rather than the opening movie. This will last for one hour.

This is me doing matterboard stuff with an emergency mission active, like a boob - note the screen in the background:

It seems like a coincidence, but the mission just started when I logged in. Trying it now.

Raide

Isn't there some way to install mods to shows English pop-ups? Seems like an absolute no-brainer, or at least some way to show the English translation alongside the original.

Incidentally, watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look and super tempted to give this a god. Looks super fun.

Watching it too. We need to get Jeff into some English games.

Also, don't worry about the Japanese menus. You can soon memorise the basic placement of stuff and it does not get in the way of enjoying the game. Just be prepared for some Beta lag and issues.

JonCha

Watching it too. We need to get Jeff into some English games.

Also, don't worry about the Japanese menus. You can soon memorise the basic placement of stuff and it does not get in the way of enjoying the game. Just be prepared for some Beta lag and issues.

Agreed.

And yeah, there's a part where Jeff lags for a good couple of minutes. I never figured the servers are based in Japan, so does that mean you're downloading massive amounts of data?

Agreed.

And yeah, there's a part where Jeff lags for a good couple of minutes. I never figured the servers are based in Japan, so does that mean you're downloading massive amounts of data?

Normal network-based lag isn't really noticeable at all. Per the maintenance announcement translation I've read, the current lag problems are actually due to database access issues on the server end.

So there's a chance there won't be an english patch like the closed beta? That would suck. I have the game downloaded and installed ready to go. I was just holding out for the patch.

Raide

So there's a chance there won't be an english patch like the closed beta? That would suck. I have the game downloaded and installed ready to go. I was just holding out for the patch.

Just jump in. Not as horrific as people think, since you can remember the layout of the menu stuff really quickly. Plus you join the PSO2GAF Guild and get all the English you could ever need!

now guys, listen. i have obtained, over the years, a reasonable HATRED AND VITRIOL of F2P MMOs. the bad experiences i gathered have made me a bitter man and a husk of my former cheery MMO self.

I am scared that one of the staples of F2P games is the fact that you have to pay real money to upgrade equipment to avoid detrimental things like "LOL YOUR WEAPON BROKE! BUY THIS ITEM THAT PREVENTS IT FROM BREAKING GOING FROM +3 TO +4! DONT WORRY IT ONLY COSTS 50 CENTS! BUT YOU"RE GOING TO FAIL SO MANY TIMES YOU MIGHT AS WELL DROP $25 RIGHT NOW"

when i heard pso2 was going to be f2p i cried a little on the inside. now....from those that have gotten far...is there any hint of this? i don't mind there being a detriment like going back to +1, but shit like permanent loss of equip and i drop this game right here and now.

Raide

now guys, listen. i have obtained, over the years, a reasonable HATRED AND VITRIOL of F2P MMOs. the bad experiences i gathered have made me a bitter man and a husk of my former cheery MMO self.

I am scared that one of the staples of F2P games is the fact that you have to pay real money to upgrade equipment to avoid detrimental things like "LOL YOUR WEAPON BROKE! BUY THIS ITEM THAT PREVENTS IT FROM BREAKING GOING FROM +3 TO +4! DONT WORRY IT ONLY COSTS 50 CENTS! BUT YOU"RE GOING TO FAIL SO MANY TIMES YOU MIGHT AS WELL DROP $25 RIGHT NOW"

when i heard pso2 was going to be f2p i cried a little on the inside. now....from those that have gotten far...is there any hint of this? i don't mind there being a detriment like going back to +1, but shit like permanent loss of equip and i drop this game right here and now.

As far as I can see, you pay for Cosmetic stuff and you can also buy XP boosts if you want. There are also player run shops as well, so you can buy items from players if you really feel the need. There is the possibility of SEGA selling themed stuff but that is more focused around the Japanese Community, since that is the only place it is currently announced for.

Items don't degrade but you do have to grind a bit to get the best items, which is pretty normal. The Upgrade potential is based upon the weapon itself, so the higher it is the lest chance of success but it does not break, you just loose the money it cost.

So far SEGA have it just right. It feels like a true PSO sequel. Plus the amount of character stuff to play around with is pretty damn fun, :D

Thus far, it seems Arkz Cash required goods and services are fairly well relegated only to really optional terms. Some are bigger than others, obviously (My Room/My Shop access, a very likely metric fuckton of costume/cosmetic options, post-creation character customization options, etc). Granted, there are a rather large number of boost items (XP, Meseta, Rare find) and scratch cards are gated behind Arks Cash and FUN purchases (though FUN can be earned sans real money). Everything you need to play the game and do so effectively seems untouched.

I think I've played this game before lol, unless there's more than 1 f2p mmo that has this system.

Doesn't seem there will be a perm loss to your equipment, it does tell you that there is a risk of success and failure but I think it's like -2 or -1.

Reknoc

My Room is easily the most tempting thing to make me throw money at this game.

Oh and pretty dresses for my character ._.

Raide

My Room is easily the most tempting thing to make me throw money at this game.

Oh and pretty dresses for my character ._.

I recently purchased a lovely SpaceShelf so I can show off my SpaceEgg, SpaceVolcanoBowl and other sundry Space items. Goes well with my SpaceSofa.

Top Bottom