• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
My gawd. This game just oozes styyyyyyyyyyyyle.

The music, the imagery, the great replays, and of course the driving...everything about it has turned me from "cautiously hyped" to beyond hyped. Gran Turismo is back.

HqUN6tJ.png

X2dGFVl.png

Putty

Good thougts chaps, even the negatives...The negatives on GT have never bothered me, sound being one of them, having said that its clear from the vids PD stepped up their game with this...Visually it looks fantastic, i've a few nit picks but thats all they are and chances are they will be fixed/improved by launch....

Liking it so far. I'm on a Pro. Anyone else having stuttering in the replays with a pack of cars? It takes away from the beauty of it. If they can have these locked at 30 fps with good motion blur I would prefer that to what I'm seeing. Otherwise graphics look great to me.

Rellik

can someone ruin the race and crash into people like in Forza motorsport ?

i hope there is a penalty for that

GT games have ghosting. It will try to prevent that by detecting someone trying to bash you and having them go through the car instead of hit it.

It doesn't work perfectly, but it's better than no ghosting.

EUGaf has been forsaken ;___;
From the OP:

Initial Phase

March 17th - only open to selected US PSN IDs
Servers will be open at selected times. Update when these times will come available.

Daily races in Sport mode at 7PM PST

Phase 2

Open to selected/registered EU users. Size pool is mentioned to be limited.

Denur

Got lucky to get an invite on my US account. It's an account I never use, but I did subscribe on day one. Too bad though, that the online races are planned in the middle of the night for me (I live in the Netherlands).

I haven't had a chance to play with my wheel yet, but here are my impressions so far.

Looks: I don't care about graphics in a new GT game these days. PS4 Pro on 4K, it looks great and like a GT game. It looks exactly as you'd expect. Crazy detailed car models, unrivaled lighting with lots of nuance between time of day, but still some lack luster details track side. Replays make everything super pretty, but the wow factor is not nearly as high in real time. I don't really have much more to add in the gfx department than hasn't been picked over to death. I will say it ran smoother than GT5 and GT6 though. So on to the actual driving...

General driving feel: Um, yeah all these cars are super easy to drive. I had all of the assists off and even with a controller I could throw them around without much issue. It still feels like the same old GT tire model. Lots and lots of grip, you can break mid corner without much of an issue than a little under steer, you can snap off throttle with no issues. Smash between gears, no problem you will never spin out, just lots of revs. I am not noticing a whole lot improved from GT6 other than it feels like there are assists still on even with them off. I felt like GT6 was a little less forgiving.

Tuning: Same shit different GT. You can change your downforce balance from 200/400 to 300/150 and the car feels the same other than more or less cornering grip and top and speed change. The areo modeling still feels super basic and looks to be ripe for exploiting yet again in online races. Didn't change the BoP rating at all on the car. All the other shit is identical. Wack on a ton of camber for more grip with no down side

Tire mode: No wear on yet, so hard to tell. But no sign of temperature or anything more detailed. Who knows what is to come, but so far feels like GT6

Sounds: Ugh. Still really poor. Compared to other GT games like GT6, oh yeah big improvement. Way more character with the transmission sounds, bumps, curbs, over run, backfires etc. However, the overall notes of all the engines still have that distinct GT artificial vacuum sound. When I grided up for a 20 car race, it didn't sound like a grid of powerful race cars, it sounded like the same old tinny GT garabge. It is the best sound GT game without a doubt, but it still feels so so far behind where the competition has been for ages now. Absolutely no excuse for how shitty these games still sound.

Online: I had a chance to actually do three races in the G.4 cars (Renault Megane for me) at the short Brands Hatch. Racing with other people is definitely going to be the saving grace of this game. As long as the sportsmanship rating keeps people in check (in my three races people still drove like idiots smashing in to each other) there could be fun to have despite all the flaws. The netcode seemed atrocious. Every car was wiggling all over the road, blinking around and even when not tweaking out, they never quiet looked smooth. My ping was 40-50ms the entire time and the experience was quite poor. I know it is beta, but I was not left feeling confident.

Overall: Pretty disappointed with the lack of progress this franchise has been making game to game and hardware generation to generation. I am genuinely baffled as to where all of this time and money goes. So much of this game already feels immediately familiar, and not in a good way. I could convince myself it is an early beta and the launch is months away so lots could change, but PD has done nothing in the last 10 years to convince me I should expect to be surprised instead of disappointed. I expect to play this game online only and with cars that run on Sports tires only. The lower class cars are still where this game's physics shine and a lot of fun is to be had despite the well known flaws that have seemed to follow us all the way to GTS. I look forward to the GAF racing league revival :)
Thank you very, very much for this!

When you get your ChronusMAX, can you report some more on the feel(steering ratio in different cars)? Compare it to GT6 and sims that have FFB derived from suspension levers / self-aligning torque?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
can someone ruin the race and crash into people like in Forza motorsport ?

i hope there is a penalty for that

IIRC, I think the game will ghost that player if it is determined they are trying to do that and other cars will pass right through them. I believe this would occur for sure if they start driving the wrong direction into traffic.

I also think there are lobbies the game puts you in if you crash into other drivers. This way, the clean drivers race together. Though, I'm not 100% sure on that either.

I was racing against AI in Arcade mode last night and an AI car crashed into me at least two or three times. I thought for a moment it must be an online player, but I was in an offline mode. Didn't make sense.

Darklor01

You mean that's a real time replay screenshot? God damn.

The car models are crazy good. The track visuals are solid enough, and vary in quality from track to track. Like, in the Tokyo track for example, it looks like you're driving an amazingly detailed vehicle on something which visually looks like a highly improved Ridge Racer game track. Just my opinion.

The lighting is really good, and I'm loving it with HDR as I am with most game using HDR properly so far.

The car models are crazy good. The track visuals are solid enough, and vary in quality from track to track. Like, in the Tokyo track for example, it looks like you're driving an amazingly detailed vehicle on something which visually looks like a highly improved Ridge Racer game track. Just my opinion.

The lighting is really good, and I'm loving it with HDR as I am with most game using HDR properly so far.

The postprocessing is also crazy good.

The motion blur is good, and the DoF is amazing. Some other racing games can't do DoF properly EVEN in photomode.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
From the OP:

Initial Phase

March 17th - only open to selected US PSN IDs
Servers will be open at selected times. Update when these times will come available.

Daily races in Sport mode at 7PM PST

Phase 2

Open to selected/registered EU users. Size pool is mentioned to be limited.

It's easier for them to test in real time between America and Japan. The time difference in Europe is a bit more tricky.

Has anyone tried this game with DriveClub Headphones companion app, besides me? I think it is really immersive with the sound, I mean the audio is directional, you can hear the roar of the car on your left or right, even when they are close behind you.

Thank you very, very much for this!

When you get your ChronusMAX, can you report some more on the feel(steering ratio in different cars)? Compare it to GT6 and sims that have FFB derived from suspension levers / self-aligning torque?

Yeah, for sure. My Chronus should get here Friday. I think the assist feel is because of using the controller. GT games have actually always done a really good job of being driveable using a controller because they do some smart auto centering and non linear mapping so things like catching a tank slapper have always been easier on a dualshock than with a wheel imo. I remember in GT5 and GT6 switching over to a controller for drift challenges because it is waaaay easier for rapid lock to lock movements with an analog stick then ripping my G27 around until it catches on fire. Also, the FFB in the stock, non-supercar cars has been where GT is at its best so I am curious as to what is new. Hitting higher curbs at speed definitely feels better in GTS. I get a sense of the suspension bouncing around and better audio feedback. With TC off, you feel the bumps even more with subtle wheel spin. I hope the FFB for curbs matches this improvement.

If GTS can deliver a strong online system and at least account for their sub par tuning systems with lots of spec racing series with no tunning allowed...gonna be tempted to upgrade to a t300 before launch. G27 has been a great return on investment, but I would love to get a smoother wheel. Also...iRacing dirt track racing is calling me.

I look forward to doing more online races tonight. The AI is horrendous even on professional. I immediatly had more fun racing online, even with the wonky netcode and smash em up drivers. Hopefully by continuing to rank up my sportsmanship score I will get matched to cleaner drivers. I already gained 9 points. The track limits are pretty forgiving too which is nice. Was def hitting some curbs hard on Brands Hatch short.

I didn't see the Nordschleife in the beta; does it have to be unlocked?

The tracks available in sport (online) mode rotate I think. Last night it was Tokyo, Brands Hatch Short and some god awful oval track. Oval racing has no business being in GT. The cars behave so stupidly and without proper oval track cars with the correct setups and tire models, it is so dull and pointless. I mean, if you want to race in ovals in a GT game... have at it, but it is probably the worst light to cast their physics engine in.

The beta seems extremely polished to me. I wonder if they'll release the game in the summer.

Wait till this evening when you have a chance to play sport/online mode, aka the focus of this game. They need a lot of work on the back end. Games that are always online, with big closed betas are often to the point of doing stress tests on nearly complete online systems. Right now in GTS, with every single online player being match made into one giant hopper of only three possible races at a time, sometimes even less, match making to US only, and a 43ms ping, it was not a smooth racing experience at all. Racing competitively online is the entire point of this game. We know it isn't focusing on the single player campaign features like we would expect form a GT7. Yeah, menus look great, but the online racing is not in such a hot state right now imo. Will kick the wheels more tonight during the daily window.

Darklor01

The Lancer EVO X, SLS AMG Gr.4, and a SLS AMG GT3 were my first three cars. First daily workout was an Evora followed by the Focus.

Oh, so people get different first three cars? That's neat.

I got a three, but I'm blanking on what exact ones they are at the moment. Only got to play for a very very short time yesterday.

Gestault

No luck with an invite in my psn messages yet. It's funny, when this does launch, I'm supposed to have a free 300,000,000 (?) credits from the voucher card from the last Playstation Experience theater event. I was running Hockenheimring last night in Project Cars hoping an invite might come through in the background.

GT games have actually always done a really good job of being driveable using a controller because they do some smart auto centering and non linear mapping so things like catching a tank slapper have always been easier on a dualshock than with a wheel imo. I remember in GT5 and GT6 switching over to a controller for drift challenges because it is waaaay easier for rapid lock to lock movements with an analog stick then ripping my G27 around until it catches on fire.
Yea, no, GT never felt like having assists still working in the background when driving with a wheel, doubt they changed that. For drifting in GT I have to set my DoR to 270° and FFB to minimum.

From what I read so far, it seems like GTS just has FFB mixed together from tire load, lateral g, slip angle curve etc. ... as all the GT's, Forza and Codemaster games(except DiRT Rally to some degree) have had before, nothing that takes into account the caster angle, kingpin inclination, suspension travel/spring length and rate.

Not even getting something like steering ratio right is really sad imo, that's a super easy thing to get right.
There was a thread on racedepartment about how to set up your car a few weeks back and guy wrote something about ratio and lock:
Andrew W (racedepartment.com) said:
Steering lock doesn't seem to come up all that often in the various sim racing communities, and very few mod authors even offer the ratio they were attempting to model. Seeing as how all we really have to go on about how a car "feels" to drive in a sim is the wheel in front of us, the ratio is pretty important. It's likely the biggest impact to a cars driveability and should really be a priority.
Having modded a bit in Assetto Corsa with some steering data from a car's workshop manual, I completely agree with this. The difference in feel and how good you can react to bad situations is SUPER drastic from softer springs to harder ones with a lower steering ratio.

I'm really tired of games that don't understand that. If Forza doesn't get this right this year, this will be the first FM in 10 years that I won't buy. Automobilista's accurate self-aligning torque modeling in particular has spoiled me to a degree where the difference in feel going back to a game that doesn't have the suspension geometry and steering (tie rod lengths, angles and rack and pinion linearity) modeled correctly is so obvious, that it's as annoying to drive in a game, that doesn't derive FFB from this, as going back to 3D games that don't let you rotate the camera without a reason for it (even if GT probably still felt the best out of those games).

The beta seems extremely polished to me. I wonder if they'll release the game in the summer.

To be honest, it's just nice to play a GT again that's smooth. You just kinda get into the fluctuation eventually, but when you get back to the smooth feel you realize how it's supposed to be. It's good to see that they've got it at this state right now given that it's inevitably still six or so months away from release. I know last year people were saying that it was still messy with screen tearing a slowdown.

Top Bottom