• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

Ugh, two Vision GT cars in a row for my dailies. I hate that they are including vision cars in GTS. Fake cars do nothing for me. A game should model real life cars, not program cars in to the game that are perfectly suited to the in game physics. They always feel so sterile.

Some more impressions:
The motion controls actually work really well and until I can use my wheel, I prefer this over analog stick.

Driving with no ABS gives the cars a little more life. A hint of TBO but nothing too drastic. ABS seems to be the same as GT6 where it has a little stability control built in. ABS off still feels better and more fun, but without being able to set brake sensitivity and linearity, it is kind of tiresome. I don't even use half the trigger travel and the difference between light braking, threshold braking and full lock up exist in this very tiny window. This is fine for something like a load cell setup on actual pedals, but with big swinging analog triggers we need the option to map the threshold further down the trigger pull. Thank god they went back to a proper brake bias and not two independent brake strength numbers. However, with no brake strength settings, we can't do the trick anymore where you have non 100% ratios like 7/1 to fix overly sensitive brakes. They absolutely need to add both a brake pressure car setting and brake linearity and sensitivity setting for controllers and wheels (didn't check wheel settings yet to see if that is included)

AI..man still such terrible apex speeds. So many brake lights blinking when they should be squeezing on the throttle. Seems like the same old. The only difference in AI is that they seem to just kind of arbitrarily spread out across the track more. Not really driving defensive lines or over taking, just kind of deviating from the racing line more. I guess that makes it seem like less than a on rails train of cars, but it ends up looking unnatural. Oh well, AI is not really too much of a concern with GTS since online racing is the meat, but when we only have arcade mode outside of one 3 hour window a day, hard to not notice it.

nadozza

Yeah, seems like two separate issues:

1) people who got the email but no code;
2) people who got the email and a broken code.

Interesting that so many reports are from Canada, really does sound like they just screwed up code distribution for us.

Another Canadian here. Got access but no code. So strange!

Hey Niks, looks like the friend's list stuff is working. I now see your qualy time for the N300 sport race. Let's get this GAF GT League stuff going!

psn = gutterboy44 if you want to have time trial and qualy comparisons. No idea if it match makes us in races.

Stoffinator

Yeah, seems like two separate issues:

1) people who got the email but no code;
2) people who got the email and a broken code.

Interesting that so many reports are from Canada, really does sound like they just screwed up code distribution for us.

Could also be the codes are for the US only and we got them because we registered for one. But they are only allowed for Americans,

Hi fellow Canadians

I'm positive the codes are US only. The registration specified it was for the US, I don't remember it generalizing as North America.

I can confirm the code did not work for my normal account but it activated without an issue on my American one.

If you really want to play just make a US account and set your PS4 as primary for it. You can download the game and still play it on any account on your PS4, including your regular Canadian one.

It's a good idea to have an account for every region (US/EU/JP) for things like this.

Yeah, it's super easy to make a US account or other regions. Once you have them made it's pretty easy to switch them up. Japanese accounts are always great to have.

If anyone just doesn't want their code for some reason, I'd gladly paypal some cash if it's able to even be given out. I am tired of waiting and it seems I won't be getting one anyways. If I did I'd just give it out if it's possible. I wasn't aware of it's an input code or just something you have to click on from your notifications though

Pro tip: be sure to equip the fully customizable transmissions and LCD's on the cars that don't haven them enabled by default. It is a performance boost that isn't covered by the BoP restrictions. Driving the Hyundai with stock transmission vs. the racing custom transmission is night and day.

l2ounD

woohoo! Got in last night.
Its been forever playing with a controller again. Feels so weird and my times are terrible. But man it looks good!
Debating whether to buy a wheel again or not.

woohoo! Got in last night.
Been forever playing with a controller again. Feels so weird and my times are terrible. But man it looks good!
Debating whether to buy a wheel again or not.

Regardless of getting a wheel or not in the future, give motion control a shot. I have tried it in other games and it always feels too twitchy but they seemed to have added some decent smoothing to it where it feels good. I am garbage with analog sticks since I pretty much only play games with a wheel, so it has been a nice compromise going with the motion control. Just don't forget to let go of the controller with one hand before scratching your nose. Banged it into the wall a few times doing that.

Niks

Hey Niks, looks like the friend's list stuff is working. I now see your qualy time for the N300 sport race. Let's get this GAF GT League stuff going!

psn = gutterboy44 if you want to have time trial and qualy comparisons. No idea if it match makes us in races.

Yeah noticed a few people are in. Did a couple of laps yesterday, trying to figure things out. I'll try to beat your times later tonight!

ddikxela

Fuck these beta invites man just make a fucking demo available to whoever is interested you know what I mean?

No thanks.

This game is focussed with online gameplay and, barring server maintenance, needs to work 24/7. By slowly introducing players via beta invites at least they can get the player count up in a controlled manner and it would probably make it easier to come across the bugs as the player count increases. Rather

By all means, after all the beta testing has been done I too hope we get a demo. At the moment though, I just want this beta testing to actually help produce a rock solid game by the time it releases.

benzy

wmbmyf.png

vswudg.png

ayzjeq.png

tnvrsy.png

Mobius 1

Send a request to join the community and it will be easier to coordinate friend requests and sharing screenshots. Quote for the name of the community.

andylsun

I have to reset the steering angle on my wheel every time I start driving. Really annoying. I assume as someone else posted this for the T150, that it's a common issue.

Interesting to see how online racing will be when I'm fiddling with the mode button on the wheel to get the wheel to match onscreen

2scoops

Hi fellow Canadians

I'm positive the codes are US only. The registration specified it was for the US, I don't remember it generalizing as North America.

I can confirm the code did not work for my normal account but it activated without an issue on my American one.

If you really want to play just make a US account and set your PS4 as primary for it. You can download the game and still play it on any account on your PS4, including your regular Canadian one.

It's a good idea to have an account for every region (US/EU/JP) for things like this.

Thank you kindly, good sir.

Could also be the codes are for the US only and we got them because we registered for one. But they are only allowed for Americans,

Which would be dumb because it's not like the beta signup asked for or said anything about regional restrictions, and also PSN LITERALLY KNOWS WHAT OUR REGION IS, why send us a code you know won't work?

I don't care enough about this to make a US account, switch to it, and download GT Sport using that account. I'll wait for them to make it work in Canada or not bother with it at all, too many games that need playing.

There were a few Canadian-flagged people in my races tonight, so they do exist! PSN sets your driver profile with your registration country, I assume, since there's no option to change it and it's there upon installation.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I'll just have to hope my disconnects with weird codes will do. "Half-mile oval not suited for online racing" isn't exactly a bug report, even if it's the most memorable thing tonight.

After a half dozen online races tonight, I am feeling concerned. The issues are all familiar. The other drivers cars float all over the place and behave very unnaturally. Even when not warping about, they just kind of slide around. Worse yet, the sound effects of other cars are a mess. They are full on vacuum sounding artificial crap. They also don't match up to what the car is doing. Just random wild engine notes that sound like if your replay was glitched out. To make shit even worse, the opponent cars are way too fucking loud. If you are racing wheel to wheel or bumper to bumper you can't hear your car at all. With no tactile feedback from the engine revs, this leaves you in a bad place. All of a sudden the exact same Hyundai in front of me turns into a fucking NASCAR and my shit is what you drop the kids off at school with. Right now, racing online is pretty shitty, and seeing as this is supposed to basically be GT Online, that is not good. Thank god for the Ring coming in to rotation. I never get tired of lapping that track.

Man you're preaching to the Choir, just make a bug report and keep it moving. Your act is tired.
Is this supposed to be a light hearted jib since you were getting connection issues? Hard to get the tone of posts some times.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I got the same stutter issues with online too, cars leaping all over the place. Hopefully the beta irons out all that because it's definitely not ready.

I got the same stutter issues with online too, cars leaping all over the place. Hopefully the beta irons out all that because it's definitely not ready.

I am hoping to see progress during the beta as well. I was wondering if I just had some bad connections last night, but the jank has been very consistent with online races.

I am hoping to see progress during the beta as well. I was wondering if I just had some bad connections last night, but the jank has been very consistent with online races.

You seem to dislike 80 percent of what the game does, maybe you just dislike it. Which racing game do you like the most right now?

You seem to dislike 80 percent of what the game does, maybe you just dislike it. Which racing game do you like the most right now?

Relax man. It is beta, not a demo. Things are expected to be messed up. And a lot is. I play a few different racing games depending on what I want to do. I have also played every GT game for hundreds and hundreds of hours. I love GT but I am not going to lavish praise on a game that needs a lot of work (again it is beta so this is expected). Especially when the area that is broken the most, is the entire focus of this release, online competive racing. So far there is a lot more GT6 in this game than GT7. Pretty graphics is the absolute minimum fans of this series expect. They have been nailing that forever. A lot of us here are hoping for them to address areas of weakness.

Relax man. It is beta, not a demo. Things are expected to be messed up. And a lot is. I play a few different racing games depending on what I want to do. I have also played every GT game for hundreds and hundreds of hours. I love GT but I am not going to lavish praise on a game that needs a lot of work. Especially when the area that is broken the most, is the entire focus of this release, online competive racing. So far there is a lot more GT6 in this game than GT7. Pretty graphics is the absolute minimum fans of this series expect. They have been nailing that forever. A lot of us here are hoping for them to address areas of weakness.

I was or am relaxed. Just seems you don't like the game that much. It may be a beta but I don't think there are going to be any huge changes unless they surprise with some damage.

I know they likely aren't fixing the things I don't like in the series with car to car interaction. They made huge strides with the sound which never bothered me but you have said that and just about everything else is almost unchanged or not what you want. I think it's fine if you don't like it, I am mostly the same with Halo 5.

I was or am relaxed. Just seems you don't like the game that much. It may be a beta but I don't think there are going to be any huge changes unless they surprise with some damage.

I know they likely aren't fixing the things I don't like in the series with car to car interaction. They made huge strides with the sound which never bothered me but you have said that and just about everything else is almost unchanged or not what you want. I think it's fine if you don't like it, I am mostly the same with Halo 5.

How many online races have you done in the beta?
If you think shipping this game, with FIA backed events, in this state is ok or likely, you are nuts. They have to improve the online jank and that is actually an area I think they will manage to improve. They have to. They are planning televised online races. You think cars warping all over is acceptable? iRacing had been broadcasting live races online for years. This isn't some uncharted territory here. As for sounds, damage, tire model, tuning, yeah I agree with you there. I don't expect much to change.

If you look through some of my posts you will see I said I will be content if they make a solid online system that will alllow for clean and competitive racing as well as a new GAF racing league. I still want GTS to be the best it can be, but I know what to expect from PD after all these years. However, that doesn't mean long standing problems aren't still problems.

Top Bottom