• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Are the trees and foliage still just 2D billboards? They look that way from the replay videos.

Anyway, the game looks visually stunning so far. Hopefully the gameplay and sound will continue to evolve as much as the visuals.
There are some nice 3D trees and a lot of high res 2D trees.

Considering the entire crowd at that oval stadium track is 3D I hope it's not too much to ask that the trees be 3D too. :p

Hopefully it's temporary, they did improve on the Ring since the last private beta after all.

Yes we can understand your frustation about the first or second post, please skip the game and go play Forza Horizon or DriveClub so you can play with online events and arcadey feeling maybe that is more for you...

All the points that you mention about the intensive campaign was already done in previous GT and was justificable critiqued to be not as accesible to all the people, (do you even play them?? 24 hours of realtime Nurburring (I bail out at 8 hours even taking turn with a friend)

So considering that the franchise is the best selling car-racing simulation (in my opinion the best also) it has to cater to diverse people, they even showed back in 2016 of footage of children playing on some modes of the game.. so this change in going for that, to be a more inclusive game and more fun comparing online times and racing so as mentioned before maybe the game is not for you...

Lovely condescending tone. If you can't hear other people point out problems during a beta phase of a game, then maybe this thread isn't for you. I don't think an online competitive focused GT game has a larger mass appeal than the more traditional collect-them-all, do a few casual races versions of GT. Most casual players barely finish these games. They buy/unlock a handful of cars they think are cool and take them to the high speed tracks. That is about it for most GT owners. There is no way most GT players want to spend 2 hours on the same track with the same car trying to shave off a few tenths of a second in a sector. Cause that is what you will find yourself doing the insant you start caring about winning online races.

Edit: Just realized it would be super easy to prove this point with trophy % data. Maybe later when I have some free time I can look those up. My guess would be less than half of players even got their A license in GT5, let alone S license required for endurance races. I don't think two 24 endurance races in GT5 is what put people off the game.

shandy706

Lovely condescending tone. If you can't hear other people point out problems during a beta phase of a game, then maybe this thread isn't for you. I don't think an online competitive focused GT game has a larger mass appeal than the more traditional collect-them-all, do a few casual races versions of GT. Most casual players barely finish these games. They buy/unlock a handful of cars they think are cool and take them to the high speed tracks. That is about it for most GT owners. There is no way most GT players want to spend 2 hours on the same track with the same car trying to shave off a few tenths of a second in a sector. Cause that is what you will find yourself doing the insant you start caring about winning online races.

Edit: Just realized it would be super easy to prove this point with trophy % data. Maybe later when I have some free time I can look those up. My guess would be less than half of players even got their A license in GT5, let alone S license required for endurance races. I don't think two 24 endurance races in GT5 is what put people off the game.

The less of a focus they have on single player the less interested I am. I love big single player racers where you can collect tons of different handling cars. Still plan on buying this though. I just picked up a TMX Pro for PC and Xbox One. Already have my racing seat and everything else. I'm either going to get an adapter to use it with the PS4, or I'll get a PS4 wheel too if the game turns out great.

I really don't care about multiplayer. Horizon and Motorsport both have lots of multiplayer modes and I don't even touch them.

So considering that the franchise is the best selling car-racing simulation (in my opinion the best also) it has to cater to diverse people, they even showed back in 2016 of footage of children playing on some modes of the game.. so this change in going for that, to be a more inclusive game and more fun comparing online times and racing so as mentioned before maybe the game is not for you...
Actually this thread deserves some praise, the "GT is the king and models everything to perfection better than any other sim and sells better than blabla"-sentiment is so much less annoying in here than in most other GT7/GTS threads over the last years...and the haters are also less ridiculous, all somewhat balanced and really good so far up to that point.

ftfm

Edit:
I'm either going to get an adapter to use it with the PS4, or I'll get a PS4 wheel too if the game turns out great.

I really don't care about multiplayer. Horizon and Motorsport both have lots of multiplayer modes and I don't even touch them.
I don't think there is an adapter for Thrustmaster XB1 to PS4 that works as intended (as far as I know there is only some "this cable through your PC, then use this tool to get the canned standard effects working"-thing, but you don't want that).
You shouldn't compare Horizon's MP with GT Sport. We all should give the iRacing-style sportsmanship & speed ratings a chance for quite a few races, it might be really addictive once each one of us found his spot in the ranking system.

shandy706

ftfm

Edit:

I don't think there is an adapter for Thrustmaster XB1 to PS4 that works as intended (as far as I know there is only some "this cable through your PC, then use this tool to get the canned standard effects working"-thing, but you don't want that).
You shouldn't compare Horizon's MP with GT Sport. We all should give the iRacing-style sportsmanship & speed ratings a chance for quite a few races, it might be really addictive once each one of us found his spot in the ranking system.

What I figured :(

I'd want the clutch and FFB to work.

I'll watch for a deal on a PS4 wheel.

BJtBspa.jpg

Mobius 1

I really didn't have much time to put in, so these are quick, completely subjective and biased impressions in random order:

• Polyphony's expected level of sophistication on the presentation of the whole package. UI, vehicle presentation and music are on point. Beautiful.
  • Graphics are spectacular, more so considering it's a beta. Definitely a marked improvement over the videos we saw around the reveal.
  • Quality of certain graphics elements varies depending on the course/environment. Tokyo Expressway has a fantastic image quality since it's a more contained environment. In the Nordschleife you will notice that shadow resolution on the cars, and LOD transitions for some scenery elements come into play. Regardless, there is no short-range shadowing goofballery and the draw distances are outstanding.
  • Frame rate seemed very solid for me during racing and replay. I didn't notice any drops, but I'm not a pixel counter.
  • Replays are letter-boxed, I personally liked it. Probably a compromise to keep the whole thing rendering at 60fps with 18 cars on track.
  • Specular reflections on the cars are gorgeous.
  • Tires get dirty if you drive off track. Cars get dirty, but subtly. The dirt plumes are great, but it's missing the volumetric car or environment shadowing.
  • Tire smoke doesn't come off easily as in GT6, and when it does it is subdued. Also missing shadowing.
  • Actually, in some tracks both dirt and smoke are missing completely.
  • Didn't notice damage, but again I may have scrapped the guardrails once.
  • Car sounds are improved, but not amazing. Engine sounds are a mixed bag. Exhaust notes and backfires sound great. Some cars have pronounced driveline sounds when in cockpit view. Others, not so much. Tire screeching sounds fine. Tires running on kerbs sounded better to me. Collision sounds seems better.
  • I really like the new overlays, and your ability to toggle some of the different views on the fly. That is an improvement over GT6's real time driving dynamics adjustments.
  • The time keeping improvements and post-event time analysis are awesome.
  • GT4 music during the replays :). No idea for races, I turn it off.
  • The pre-set time of day choices for the tracks, instead of real time as we had with GT6, didn't bother me as much. Polyphony's god-like sensibility to lighting makes short work of all time of day choices.
  • Seems like they re-scanned the Nordschleife, it felt more bumpy and track side details and scenery more accurate.
  • Marshals on the trackside waving flags is so cool.
  • The penalties I've seen so far on time trial didn't slow the car, simply added time to your lap. I liked it better than a forced slow down.
  • I noticed the textures for tire sidewalls are better, with fake branding that lends them a more realistic look.
  • The driver bobs and gets thrown around the cockpit during hard cornering, check it out on the replays.
  • There are new replay camera sets for all tracks I tried. Some were good, some were honestly bad and very un-Polyphony-like. Too much unrealistic panning and flying shots that stick out against the usual ones we've been used to. The old camera sets are still there and you can toggle them using up/down on the d-pad during replays, but the UI won't indicate which one is selected. (for those confused - most tracks had at least two or more replay camera angle sets used in alternating laps. Since GT1 I think).
  • Photo mode is disabled.
  • Saving replays is disabled across the board. There are no replays for online races.
  • My few online races were fine technically, no warping cars or strange behavior. Technically, that is. Most players are still imbeciles crashing into each other for no reason at all.
  • On that note, I like the Sportsmanship metric. You get immediate feedback during the races if it's going up or down.
  • I didn't see any pit crews active.
  • At this time, it seems fuel consumption and tire wear are disabled. I could be wrong on tires, going to try racing softs and stupid driving to check it out.
  • No toggle for the headlines. You can still flash them, but I couldn't find a way to keep a high or low beam.
  • No horns.
  • I liked Tokyo Expressway, I think it will be a riot with smaller cars like a gt-spec Golf and a good group of drivers. Shoutout to GT-GAF and our Golf showdowns at the Ring! Track could use a little more race-day paraphernalia around, but not much.
  • The oval track is ... an oval. Not my jam. Looks very nice however.
  • The screen where you receive a prize car is so fucking classy and well done.
----

Since I didn't do much driving, I won't comment on the driving dynamics and physics yet.

I'm really excited about this. It feels like a much more focused, well packaged effort by Polyphony.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
What I figured :(

I'd want the clutch and FFB to work.

I'll watch for a deal on a PS4 wheel.

Technically, I think, there may be a deal.. technically.

You can see if Best Buy will match this price through Customer Service on. T-150. This is a legit store chain with a website. I have two locations near me on the east coast of the U.S. and they have some in stock.

$139.99
http://www.microcenter.com/product/454184/t150_force_feedback_racing_wheel

Vs.

$199.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/thrustm...ffcode=pg149325&ksdevice=m&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

Also, Microcenter has lower prices on other wheels.

andylsun

Had multiple successful online races tonight.

I find the wide cockpit view annoying, always used to run GT5/6 in narrow. I don't see anything to adjust this or perhaps I missed it.

Every damn time I start driving I have to adjust the steering wheel angle. It resets just before getting in the car and it's a mad fumble with left on the d pad and mode to get it to match on screen.

Apart from that the online races were good. Didn't seem to suffer from crazy warping and my ping is 26. Not sure what exactly causes my SR to drop and climb every so often. Didn't seem to be linked to any particular action (e.g. Slowing to let someone past after going off track)

Had multiple successful online races tonight.

I find the wide cockpit view annoying, always used to run GT5/6 in narrow. I don't see anything to adjust this or perhaps I missed it.

Every damn time I start driving I have to adjust the steering wheel angle. It resets just before getting in the car and it's a mad fumble with left on the d pad and mode to get it to match on screen.
Both sounds horrible!!!

PD, we need original DoR for all the cars on soft-lock and select our own hard-lock independent. And FOV options and seat position.
To implement that should only take maybe 2 guys a few hours of time, pleeeese.

And thanks to Mobius1 for the write-up. Maybe PD should add options for different sets of replay cameras, "classic", "TV", "static", "all" ...maybe some more that I"m not thinking of.

Kyleoty

Neo Member
I had a decent race tonight online. However I see some have a C7 Corvette and a Ford Mustang. How do you get these cars in the game.

WoolyNinja

I don't know what it is but the first race I tried did not feel quite like Gran Turismo to me. I can't put my finger on it but something about the handling seems different/off. I'm using the initial/slowest car only for now on Brands Hatch and I'm just not feeling it and I've loved every GT since GT3?

Got in a few races tonight, now that Canada's able to get into the beta. My main takeaway is that I am REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD at Gran Turismo, and I just haven't realized it for, oh, 20 years or so. The two GR3 races I ran, I didn't even get a time; one race I was apparently disqualified multiple times, if the giant red message in the middle of my screen was anything to go by. People were passing me like it was no thang. I'm routinely 30 seconds or more behind first place. It's actually shocking to me.

Maybe I should turn off the braking assist, I kind of just picked whatever the game gave me and went with it because I don't remember how my GT6 setup was (and also that was with a wheel, whereas I'm playing Sport with a controller). The online stuff was okay, but the other cars looked glitchy at times (weird unnatural zigzagging outside of warmup, for example) and there was a lot of people spinning out or taking turns too wide and running off road.

The beta hasn't really done anything to allay my personal fears about Sport as a game that would appeal to me (as opposed to Sport's general quality, which seems much higher). I do like the work of trying to improve my lap times and all, but running one race every 20 minutes with qualifying in between doesn't seem super sustainable for the way I tend to play Gran Turismo. We'll see how tomorrow goes, though, one night definitely isn't enough to write anything off.

Enjoying this - I expected to be a bit graphically underwhelmed and am pleasantly surprised. Can't wait to disable the hideous HUD, but I do that in basically all racing games.

Question - there is a "campaign" icon on the menu. I was sort of under the impression that this would be a pared down online focused affair - do we have a sense what kind of campaign it will have? I really don't see why Kaz can't just throw together some races for us SP folk.

Hi fellow Canadians

I'm positive the codes are US only. The registration specified it was for the US, I don't remember it generalizing as North America.

I can confirm the code did not work for my normal account but it activated without an issue on my American one.

If you really want to play just make a US account and set your PS4 as primary for it. You can download the game and still play it on any account on your PS4, including your regular Canadian one.

It's a good idea to have an account for every region (US/EU/JP) for things like this.

Canadian here - My code just started working today, had tried twice previously FYI

bombshell

I do like the work of trying to improve my lap times and all, but running one race every 20 minutes with qualifying in between doesn't seem super sustainable for the way I tend to play Gran Turismo. We'll see how tomorrow goes, though, one night definitely isn't enough to write anything off.

Do remember that this beta only has the Sport mode available, which is the competitive mode with online races at pre-determined times. The regular lobby based Online mode is seen in the main menu, but is inaccessible, not to mention the Campaign and Arcade modes for single player.

Yes we can understand your frustation about the first or second post, please skip the game and go play Forza Horizon or DriveClub so you can play with online events and arcadey feeling maybe that is more for you...

All the points that you mention about the intensive campaign was already done in previous GT and was justificable critiqued to be not as accesible to all the people, (do you even play them?? 24 hours of realtime Nurburring (I bail out at 8 hours even taking turn with a friend)

You've got to be joking, right? I mean, GT campaign not accessible? In GT6, the longest race went on for laughable 24 MINUTES, with brain dead AI and that never-gets-old Gran Turismo trope: you can lean, or straigh out hit, your oponents in order to get through turns fasters (by that metric, GT physics are not that far from Driveclub, BTW), no flags, no racing rules, nothing that would arguably make it harder to anyone that isn't intimate with rmotorsports to get along. And the 24 hour races that you couldn't finish from GT5 could be done easily with the mid race saving feature (I had great times doing them).

Gran Turismo is well known by brain dead AI, a campaign structure that is far from any resemblance of real motorsports, races that are way too short, events that don't simulate how racing really is and, recently, by AI that simply lets you win, slowing down to a crawl at the last lap, so that you can overcome this mind bloggling challenge that is winning Poliphony's Digital vision of artificial intelligence every damn time. Gran Turismo never had a "imersive" campaign because Poliphony Digital never bothered with simulating how racing and motorsport really is.

You can argue that previous games were more fun and their campaigns better. And that's true, but it's also true that they were better single player experiences simply because the concept was new, never done before.

And do you realise that the footage showing kids playing GT was made by Sony/PD in order to promote the last game, right? This is hardly a "proof' of Gran Turismo being cherished by children, let alone played by them. And even if GT games are such a hit with this demographic, I'm curious to see how they'll sell a hardcore multiplayer foccused racing game, that nobody asked for, to kids. But I'm sure that you'll have a rationalization to assure me that Kazunori is never wrong and GT Sport will be a run away success.

Sebmugi

It's beautiful all that but the management of the shadows is not really perfect and makes me really think that they are like that because the weather evolves during the race .. I still believe they will get to do a Dynamic weather !?

Most players are still imbeciles crashing into each other for no reason at all.

Are you ready GT GAF?

Got in a few races tonight, now that Canada's able to get into the beta. My main takeaway is that I am REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD at Gran Turismo, and I just haven't realized it for, oh, 20 years or so. The two GR3 races I ran, I didn't even get a time; one race I was apparently disqualified multiple times, if the giant red message in the middle of my screen was anything to go by. People were passing me like it was no thang. I'm routinely 30 seconds or more behind first place. It's actually shocking to me.

Maybe I should turn off the braking assist, I kind of just picked whatever the game gave me and went with it because I don't remember how my GT6 setup was (and also that was with a wheel, whereas I'm playing Sport with a controller). The online stuff was okay, but the other cars looked glitchy at times (weird unnatural zigzagging outside of warmup, for example) and there was a lot of people spinning out or taking turns too wide and running off road.

The beta hasn't really done anything to allay my personal fears about Sport as a game that would appeal to me (as opposed to Sport's general quality, which seems much higher). I do like the work of trying to improve my lap times and all, but running one race every 20 minutes with qualifying in between doesn't seem super sustainable for the way I tend to play Gran Turismo. We'll see how tomorrow goes, though, one night definitely isn't enough to write anything off.

Bear in mind its done like that due to being a beta that PD want to monitor. Pretty sure lobbies will return in the release.

Kaz has forsaken me! :(

Loving the impressions and the screens/gifs/videos.

Hold out for that Phase 2 ;____;

Laws00

I just looked at my psn announcements, apparently i got in on Wednesday lol downloading now

didnt think i'd get in

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
My god this beta is awful. Every online race it puts me somewhere between middle of the pack and dead Last at the finish! Clearly this is the beta's fault and not my glaring lack of skill and complete lack of knowledge about tuning. My god. I can totally see the reasons for all the delays.
/s

Arex

I hope they still have Tokyo R264 and not just replace them with this new Tokyo Expressway. Love that track, a lot of things to look at lol

Do remember that this beta only has the Sport mode available, which is the competitive mode with online races at pre-determined times. The regular lobby based Online mode is seen in the main menu, but is inaccessible, not to mention the Campaign and Arcade modes for single player.

Bear in mind its done like that due to being a beta that PD want to monitor. Pretty sure lobbies will return in the release.

Sport mode will be like this in the final release too, it's how it's meant to be. Lobbies are in the separate, regular Online mode.

syCq32E.png

Oh right, I totally forgot there are other modes. Duhhhh.

Hmm. So should I think of Sport mode as the competitive mode that actually matters and Online mode as the casual one? And how does Campaign fit into all this, given that it's apparently not a traditional GT career?

I guess I'm still not sure what my expectations should be for this game, but to be fair I haven't really done a lot of research into how the modes work and what actually counts towards your progression or what "progression" even means in GT Sport.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

Thing is with some of the screenshots is the cars look way ahead of the shitty GT6 like backgrounds but here the backgrounds look good and the lighting on the trees are in keeping.

Seems mixed bag so far.

Car lighting is top tier though.

I'd like to see more backgrounds though to see how upgraded they are.

The campaign mode is likely going to be a combination of race events against AI, just like all the other GT's and probably some license test like challenges thrown in to better groom players to race online and obey the regulations and become more sportsmanlike. That is my guess.

For those who haven't played iRacing, let me tell you that the single most important thing added to GT with this release is the Sportsmanship rating system. iRacing has this and this is one of the main reasons you can have high quality racing experiences with complete strangers and not have to join leagues or race with only a small group of friends. There is nothing special about the average iRacing driver v. the average GT driver. The main factor as to why you get bumper cars online in GT and people trying their best to drive clean in iRacing is because of the sportsmanship rating penalty of of driving like a dick. It has nothing to do with the accuracy of the physics, damage, etc.

Without a sportsmanship rating, there is no incentive to not always try to get first place no matter how bad you smash your car. Cause it is a video game and you will never have to buy a new car or accidentally break your ribs, so without consequence, people naturally gravitate toward high risk behavior. This results in a shitty racing experience. Sportsmanship is that consequence. Drive like a dick, get forced to race against other dicks or even locked out of the higher class races. If you drive a Hyundai like a dick, why let you join in against people racing GT1 cars for you to only fuck up things even worse?

Right now, the sportmanship penalties are a little loose. IMO, they need to be really severe because they have to simulate that real world thought of... oh shit I don't want to fuck my car up and pay thousands of dollars, or maybe I wont do this insane pass with a 1% chance of success cause I would hit that wall and maybe die. Once you get that virtual equivalent of caution, people of all talents begin to race smart and have really exciting and rewarding racing experiences. I never got very good at iRacing but I still had some of my most thrilling online races ever in the lower class races.

I hope GTS does the same driver rating points system too where depending on the quality of people you are racing against, the more your efforts are rewarded. So if I am a D class racer and there happened to be a few A and B racers in my race, if I get 4th place in that race, it is worth more ranking points than if I got first place against a bunch of E class racers. This adds that final real life scenario of playing it smart when you know 3rd place is a good result and not going full kamikaze just to get first at all costs.

Assuming they resolve the technical side of the online races, the sportsmanship system is what is likely going to make or break this game for setting a new benchmark in quality online racing on consoles.

Jedi2016

My biggest complaint is that they limit how you can remap certain buttons on the controller. I've been using the same control scheme since GT1 (specifically, mapping Rear View to L2) and suddenly they won't let me have it that way. Annoying.

Otherwise, it's Gran Turismo. Looks aside, it feels like GT. Can't really complain too much on that front.

UI could use some work, wish I could turn individual things on and off, the bottom center is just too cluttered, much more so than in previous titles.

I assume this is specific to the beta, but I'm not a fan of all the buildup and qualifying and waiting for a race, that only lasts for a few minutes.

The campaign mode is likely going to be a combination of race events against AI, just like all the other GT's and probably some license test like challenges thrown in to better groom players to race online and obey the regulations and become more sportsmanlike. That is my guess.

For those who haven't played iRacing, let me tell you that the single most important thing added to GT with this release is the Sportsmanship rating system. iRacing has this and this is one of the main reasons you can have high quality racing experiences with complete strangers and not have to join leagues or race with only a small group of friends. There is nothing special about the average iRacing driver v. the average GT driver. The main factor as to why you get bumper cars online in GT and people trying their best to drive clean in iRacing is because of the sportsmanship rating penalty of of driving like a dick. It has nothing to do with the accuracy of the physics, damage, etc.

Without a sportsmanship rating, there is no incentive to not always try to get first place no matter how bad you smash your car. Cause it is a video game and you will never have to buy a new car or accidentally break your ribs, so without consequence, people naturally gravitate toward high risk behavior. This results in a shitty racing experience. Sportsmanship is that consequence. Drive like a dick, get forced to race against other dicks or even locked out of the higher class races. If you drive a Hyundai like a dick, why let you join in against people racing GT1 cars for you to only fuck up things even worse?

Right now, the sportmanship penalties are a little loose. IMO, they need to be really severe because they have to simulate that real world thought of... oh shit I don't want to fuck my car up and pay thousands of dollars, or maybe I wont do this insane pass with a 1% chance of success cause I would hit that wall and maybe die. Once you get that virtual equivalent of caution, people of all talents begin to race smart and have really exciting and rewarding racing experiences. I never got very good at iRacing but I still had some of my most thrilling online races ever in the lower class races.

I hope GTS does the same driver rating points system too where depending on the quality of people you are racing against, the more your efforts are rewarded. So if I am a D class racer and there happened to be a few A and B racers in my race, if I get 4th place in that race, it is worth more ranking points than if I got first place against a bunch of E class racers. This adds that final real life scenario of playing it smart when you know 3rd place is a good result and not going full kamikaze just to get first at all costs.

Assuming they resolve the technical side of the online races, the sportsmanship system is what is likely going to make or break this game for setting a new benchmark in quality online racing on consoles.
I haven't played iRacing. This is great insight. Thank you.

Top Bottom