• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Animated Film to be Streamed Globally on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Bumping with more concept art so there's actually something to get excited about... maybe! (Probably not!) The most sci-fi Godzilla film yet? Reminds me of Aliens.
According to the coverage in the Japanese media so far, the theme of the film is the predestined battle between humanity and Godzilla, and there will be non-human humanoid races featured in it as well (literally aliens?).

C2haUXUUQAAtMG6.jpg:orig

C5a_2hQUYAImwwk.jpg:orig

C6OEubIUsAAg8gI.jpg:orig

duckroll

http://godzilla-anime.com
http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0090487

Official unveiled ahead of Anime Japan this weekend. The official title is GODZILLA -MONSTER PLANET-. It is a full scifi action movie. After Godzilla and other monsters appear on Earth and wreck humanity for half a century, everyone decides to bail the fuck out. Mankind builds a huge colony ship and escapes from Earth, only to spend 20 years wandering without finding a habitable planet. The main character is an edgy young man whose parents were killed by Godzilla when he was 4 years old. Now a grown man, he takes command of the operation to return to Earth, and makes a deadly warp jump so they can go back and kill Godzilla. Except they return to an Earth... 20,000 years in the future, completely overrun with monsters where Godzilla reigns as KING. The BATTLE to reclaim Earth begins!

The film opens in November this year.

The original character designs are by Yusuke Kozaki of Fire Emblem fame.

B0H4Ng9.jpg

Official unveiled ahead of Anime Japan this weekend. The official title is GODZILLA -MONSTER PLANET-. It is a full scifi action movie. After Godzilla and other monsters appear on Earth and wreck humanity for half a century, everyone decides to bail the fuck out. Mankind builds a huge colony ship and escapes from Earth, only to spend 20 years wandering without finding a habitable planet. The main character is an edgy young man whose parents were killed by Godzilla when he was 4 years old. Now a grown man, he takes command of the operation to return to Earth, and makes a deadly warp jump so they can go back and kill Godzilla. Except they return to an Earth... 20,000 years in the future, completely overrun with monsters where Godzilla reigns as KING. The BATTLE to reclaim Earth begins!

B0H4Ng9.jpg

This sounds hype as hell. I'm in.

B0H4Ng9.jpg

You had me at Godzilla Monster Planet.

I'm in. Sooooooooo in.

duckroll

Oh the official site actually has the plot summary in English! I see they're ready for Netflix (haha):

The last summer of the 20th Century. That day, the human beings learn that they are not the only ruler of the planet Earth.

The appearance of the giant living creatures “Kaiju's” and the ultimate existence that destroys all monsters: Godzilla. Through the battle against kaiju’s that lasted for half a century, human beings has experienced continuous defeat, and finally plans to escape from the Earth. And in 2048, only those who were selected by the A.I. managed under the central government boarded the inter-sidereal emigrant spaceship “Aratrum” to head for “Tau Cetus e”, the planet beyond the distance of 11.9 light-year. However, the environmental condition differences between that of the Earth and Tau e, which they finally arrived after 20 years were far beyond the predicted numbers, and was not an environment considered to be habitable by human beings.
The young man on the emigrant ship: Haruo, who saw his parents killed by Godzilla in front of his eyes when he was 4 years old, had only one thing in his mind for 20 years: to return to the Earth and defeat Godzilla. Shut out from the possibility of emigration, as the living environment in the ship deteriorates, the group of “Earth Returnists” led by Haruo became the majority, and determines to head back to Earth through a dangerous long-distance hyperspace navigation.
However, the Earth they have returned has already passed the time of 20,000 years, and has become an unknown world with the ecosystem reigned by Godzilla.
At the end, will human beings win back the Earth? And what will Haruo see beyond his fate…?

Bluth54

Hopefully with Netflix being a distributor in the US it will come to the US more quickly than Shin Godzilla. I still haven't seen Shin Godzilla and I'm waiting for that to come out on Blu-Ray.

duckroll

I think this might be fucking crazy since it's designed as a film. If it's a series there could be a lot of dumb drawn out plot twists and shit. But as a movie? SCIFI WAR THRILLER WITH KAIJU. Zomg! :D

Kozaki's male designs are cool, hope his female designs are sexy as hell too.

Edit: https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_ANIME <--- Look at the banner image. Netflix totally co-funding this shit. :D

If it's anything like Sidonia's epic alien battles(and more since it's a movie)this is going to be absolutely amazing.

The year of POLYGON pictures? They have my two most anticipated movie of the year.

Holy shit, yes!
And I love the synopsis, I always like it when they mix Kaijus with weird sci-fi shit. What a glorious age we live in as Godzilla fans, we now have decent big budget blockbusters coming from the West, a new series of live-action movies coming from Japan, plus an anime on Netflix.

Aki-at

This sounds absolutely bonkers and all kinds of amazing. Two years back to back of Godzilla goodness what did we do to deserve this?! Am on board this hype train.

JdFoX187

Banned
Don't worry, every time I see that Gorillaz thread, I read it as Godzilla, so we have the opposite problem! :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Keep doing a double-take.

On a more serious note, everything about this sounds amazing. Shame we have to wait until this fall to see it.

Don't worry, every time I see that Gorillaz thread, I read it as Godzilla, so we have the opposite problem! :D
Been having that same problem

What will the other kaiju look like?
Will it be ones we know?
Just throw me one kaiju design
I'm fiending for more info.
The concept sounds nuts

near

Gold Member
Been having that same problem

What will the other kaiju look like?
Will it be ones we know?
Just throw me one kaiju design
I'm fiending for more info.
The concept sounds nuts

The concept is definitely nuts which is the lure for me. I wonder if Urobuchi can maintain the scope of the story with it's intricacies without ruining it's potential. November is too far away! Here's to hoping Sunday's event is worthwhile.

Aki-at

I really do like the premise they're going for, not really been done yet and Godzilla works well with fresh ideas every now and again. Having a monster filled world with humanity needing to fight back will be great to see.

Knights of Sidonia is shit so I would temper expectations.

I enjoyed Knights, wasn't keen on Aijin though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom