• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's first three PC games unveiled: New World, Breakaway, and Crucible

I find the whole being uncomfortable with colonising NA thing odd.

By all means people are entitled to feel uncomfortable with whatever, not up to me to tell people they are wrong to feel that way.

To me personally it seems hypocritical as most games revolve around murdering hordes of people. Now and then they are based on history. BF1 for example, murdering Germans is cool but when it's native Americans it's not?

Just odd to draw the line anywhere. If one thing is okay, it all should be.

Somnid

It's a very Amazon move to release games with the intention to build the platform rather than for the singular game to be the money maker. These are probably going to be F2P and plastered all over Twitch so they'll get good exposure to the market they are looking for, so if they can at least make them feel good to play I think they'll do just fine.

Not really my bag but I might try some of these if it is indeed something that can be played for free.

Detox

Why it took so long for someone to make a "Hunger Games" video game is beyond me.

There's quite a few hunger games clones on PC, they sell well and get a ton of viewers on twitch.

Amazon are pretty much making the ultimate games for Twitch streaming. These games are going to be big.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I like the idea for Breakaway, but it should have been done with Futuristic players with a goal that required precision throws.

Basically, Mutant League aesthetic mixed with rugby and basketball would have been perfect. No guns (save for maybe power ups?) punching or ramming someone causes them to drop the ball.

By all means people are entitled to feel uncomfortable with whatever, not up to me to tell people they are wrong to feel that way.

To me personally it seems hypocritical as most games revolve around murdering hordes of people. Now and then they are based on history. BF1 for example, murdering Germans is cool but when it's native Americans it's not?

Agreed. Really strange to find an issue with this when there are no discussions on discomfort for other regions.

Did they say you would be colonizing the ingenious people of the land? I thought it would be taking on the fantasy creatures that inhabit the area.

Morokh

After seing how fun 'Twitch games' can be by participating in some rounds of Choice Chamber, I'm really curious about this aspect of their games and how it may evolve in the coming years.

But the only game they showed that I'll keep an eye on is New World.

Plesiades

There's quite a few hunger games clones on PC, they sell well and get a ton of viewers on twitch.

Amazon are pretty much making the ultimate games for Twitch streaming. These games are going to be big.

It seems that their aproach was "take the most popular games on Twitch and make them more stream friendly", which is really smart. I wonder how other developers will respond to this.

• New World is ARK/RUST/ARMA 3 Roleplaying Servers
  • Crucible is H1Z1/Battle Royale/ARK: Survival of the Fittest
  • Breakaway is a weird mix. Maybe inspired by the success of Rocket League?
Some of the settings are kinda cool... the fact that the games are in saturated genres is kinda sad. Curious to see where all of this ends up.

n0razi

New World has the most promise... its competing with games like Rust and Ark (both very popular) but with more resources for the devs.

Crucible sounds like it can be fun but requires too much effort to find a good group like Evolved.

Breakway sounds like Rocket League and Overwatch and wont be able to compete with either.

I know someone who works close with amazon and he showed me some stuff from breakaway

It's basically huttball from SW:TOR if anyone has played that. Like it's pretty much exactly huttball

Crucible:
- This is a third person shooter where 12 players enter an alien planet, and the last one surviving wins. However, the twist is that the world is very hostile and the players have to work together in order to survive, so there's a large social trust aspect of when to ally with other players and when to ultimately betray them to try and win.
- There's also a 13th player who can serve as game master while streaming the game and create events and other various challenges for the players to deal with. The streamer's audience can also interact with the game world as well through unspecified means.

That reminded me of Arma 3's Zeus + Battle Royale.

Crucible sounds like the game Press Play were making before MS made the cuntish move of shutting them down.

Always felt that had the potential to be big on Twitch and even said it a few times to the devs on Twitter.

The Twitch buyout makes sense now with these types of games. Interesting.

Stiler

I hope New Worlds is an actual mmo, and not like Dayz/Ark/Rust, etc.

Where you make a character on a world and the world holds up to at least 2k+ people. Where you can't simply server hop (That's how people get geared up, at least in Dayz, find empty server>go loot>hop to populated server).

I want an ultima online style world structure rather then the current "survival" game style of private servers that support 100 or so people max.

Official servers with 2k+ populations.

Retro

New World sounds cool, but fuck I wish it was a cyberpunk/sci-fi setting instead. Would be pretty much what I've always wanted then.

Based on the little bit of art that's been released, there's kind of a Lovecraftian undercurrent (dig the Native Americans and colonists both fighting a tentacle horror on helmet), plus there's the Templar cross on the guy's shoulder-piece. I think if this were in a modern / near modern sci-fi setting, you'd basically be really close to The Secret World's setting.

I can't imagine they'd be culturally insensitive enough to release a game where white people run around killing the natives and taking their land. That seems like a good way to generate bad press right out the door.

I think it's more likely that players will pick between colonists and native peoples (and maybe others, since it's alternative history there could even be established Viking settlements) as starting factions that aren't exactly friendly, but all players fight against a supernatural / horror enemy.

I hope New Worlds is an actual mmo, and not like Dayz/Ark/Rust, etc.

The description does say "massively multiplayer, open-ended sandbox game," but what you're really asking for here is that it uses a persistent world. Since it talks about building civilizations and surviving through changing seasons, that sounds like a persistent world to me. Not sure where Nirolak got the bullet points, but "build towns, forts, and camps as permanent world spaces" is definitely suggesting a persistent world rather than spinning up new worlds every time you play.

Compsiox

Banned
I think it's very weird that they're making games FOR streamers.

Like just publish the games and integrate the streaming tools and see what happens.

LordRaptor

Well... we'll see.
I don't think "make game closely integrated with Twitch = huge success" is automatically true.

Popular games on Twitch are first and foremost popular games, and Twitch reflects that rather than creates that.

I think it's very weird that they're making games FOR streamers.

Like just publish the games and integrate the streaming tools and see what happens.

From a corporate synergy perspective, it makes all the sense in the world.
From a game design perspective... I guess there are interesting design spaces to explore assuming deep twitch integration, as Twitch Plays Pokemon showed?
I don't see much inherently interesting regarding twitch integration in any of these titles though.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
All multiplayer. Not interested
Unfortunately I felt exactly the same way. They sound like great ideas but multiplayer games have such a short life for the most part that they could be dead in months. Single player experiences can be revisited forever.

Ah well, I am a dinosaur.

FinKL

Reminder Alpha's are going out for Breakaway and mine was in my Spam folder. I can't tell if it's open Alpha or invites only though

Gonna have to split my time between For Honor and this, but I'm curious how this will play and if it's fun

Retro

Bumping this thread since this is sort of the "Amazon Games" thread and I'm not sure it was entirely new thread worthy;

John Smedley, the former Sony Online Entertainment and Daybreak CEO who briefly went indie with Pixelmage Games, has landed at Amazon after he unfortunately had to shutter his startup last month. Amazon Game Studios has today announced that it's launching a new outfit in San Diego and the studio will be led by Smedley. (source)

I can't imagine they brought him on for anything other than New World, seems like having two MMOs in development at once would be competing with themselves.

Edit: Looks like there was a thread about it but it quickly got shuffled off the front page; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1344413

2 pics of New World from the Lumberyard site:

newworld_tree_1920.jpg
NewWorld_village2_1920.jpg

Retro

Those are definitely target renders, I can't imagine the final game looks like that... but I'd gladly welcome being proven wrong.

wildfire

Banned
It's a modified version of Crytek, no reason to believe that's not in game.

The New World is an MMO. That alone makes me very skeptical they can implement a bit more than Crysis level of foliage.

It's realistic in a single player game but not a game meant for multiple players.

Also what's the point of having this much foliage? If they follow normal gaming conventions it will look like sit with characters fading in and out of the bushes. If they are actually simulating the physics mostly correctly then it simply becomes increasingly unworkable in an MMO.

Top Bottom