• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Mario Party series, ranked and revisited

Zalman

Mario Party is one of those Mario spin-offs that’s easy to make fun of. A lot of people do. And that’s fine! But for me personally, it’s an important sub-series in Nintendo’s catalog. I have many fond memories of getting a group together for some local 4-player gaming. Sure, it’s heavily reliant on luck, but that’s part of the charm for me. When a player lands on one of those infamous Chance Time spaces, you know something’s about to go down. Everyone is panicking at that moment, and that’s the fun of Mario Party: Screaming at each other as absurd things happen.

Basically, growing up with these games has been a blast – well, at least some of the time. It’s no secret that the series has had its ups and downs. What I’d like to do in this thread is take a look at each of the home console games (1–10) and basically give a short review for each. I’ll be ranking them personally. Keep in mind that no Mario Party list is the same. This is just how I feel about the franchise. Most people’s favorite Mario Party tends to be the one they grew up with, so if you have something to say about some of the games, I’d love to hear it!

Anyway, let’s start with number 10.

10. Mario Party 9
4nQEWqv.png

Mario Party 9 marked a turning point for the series in several ways. The series had, for the most part, been annualized, but after Mario Party 8 and DS in 2007 the series went silent. You could argue that the series needed this break badly and that this was a good thing. However, Hudson Soft was no longer helming the franchise. Nd Cube eventually took over, and we finally got Mario Party 9 in 2012. This game is also a turning point in the sense that it completely changed up the Mario Party formula. Some of the GameCube ones introduced elements to change it up a bit (we’ll get to it), but Mario Party 9 shifted away from the core Mario Party elements that, in my opinion, make Mario Party what it is. Everyone now travels together in a car, no stars or coins to collect… What really breaks the flow of the game for me is that mini-games don’t happen after each round. They’re now determined by a space on the board. This means that you can play an entire game of Mario Party and never play a single mini-game. If it wasn’t clear yet, I’m not a big fan of Mario Party 9.

9. Mario Party 10
7V3N3UT.png

Mario Party 10 continues the style of game that 9 introduced. The game features three main modes: Mario Party, Bowser Party, and amiibo Party. Mario Party is the main game. Basically, it suffers from the same problems as 9. One mode I do like the idea of in Mario Party 10 is Bowser Party. This is a mode where I think the car makes a lot of sense: Everyone is working together to get away from Bowser by rolling higher than him. However, the game is incredibly unbalanced and in Bowser’s favor, even allowing him to reroll at certain points! Finally, there’s amiibo Party mode, which is basically a lite version of the classic Mario Party gameplay. They have stars and coins, but the boards are simplistic and lame. As someone who is longing for a full Mario Party in the classic style, amiibo Party is the biggest tease in the world.

8. Mario Party 8
DOrR0vG.jpg

On the 8th spot, I put Mario Party 8. This was the first entry in the series on Wii, and the last one on the list to be developed by Hudson Soft. They basically went all in on motion controls on this one. Now, I typically don’t mind motion controls. In fact, I like them in a lot of games. However, in this game, I feel that it’s too much. A big chunk of the mini-games has you waggling the Wii Remote. You even have to shake it to hit the dice block every turn. The boards were also hit and miss, one of them being a completely straight line. If I had to sum up Mario Party 8 in one word: Meh.

7. Mario Party 5
I4WBXAq.jpg

I see Mario Party 5 as the first entry in the series to try something a little different. Unfortunately, these changes don’t get to shine until later in the series. It introduced a new item system called Capsules, which focuses on the idea of board-building. Capsules, which are given out randomly, all contain items, and players can use them to fill up spaces on the board that cause certain events to happen. If you want to use an item on yourself, you have to pay coins first. There’s also the fact that the boards feel plain, and they heavily rely on players filling them up with interesting and eventful spaces. I give Mario Party 5 credit for coming up with new ideas, but ultimately the game feels like a beta test for Mario Party 6, which follows this same style but improves on its flaws. Also, Mario Party 5 commits a great sin: It removes Donkey Kong from the roster, who is now relegated to a space. It wasn’t until Mario Party 10 he became playable again!

6. Mario Party 7
QtmbAM3.png

After the great entry that was Mario Party 6, Mario Party 7 feels like more of the same. It continues the item system introduced in Mario Party 5, although with all the improvements from 6. What it didn’t continue, however, was the inventive day and night system from 6. This might not seem like a big deal, but it makes Mario Party 7 feel like a less imaginative version of 6. The game introduces the idea of Bowser Time, which is absolutely brutal. Basically, every five turns, a meter will fill up. Every time it gets full, Bowser shows up and makes everyone suffer. He might send players back to start, steal their coins, or even their stars. This is regardless of what board you play. And honestly, it’s not very fun.

5. Mario Party
y403HEI.jpg

Here it is, the game that started it all. It has a unique charm to it, even to this day. The game is infamous for its “rotate the analog stick as fast as you can” mini-games. Honestly, they’re pretty bad. This is also before they introduced items into the mix, which makes the game a little hard for me to go back to. However, the boards are great, and it has the catchiest mini-game introduction music ever. That’s a win in my book.

4. Mario Party 6
a3KQHvF.png

If you’ve been reading this whole thing, you can probably already tell I really like Mario Party 6. It took the capsule system from Mario Party 5 and improved on it immensely. They’re now called Orbs, and while they’re still given out randomly at times, you can also buy them in item shops. You also don’t have to pay to use them. The changes Mario Party 6 made might not sound like a big deal, but in reality, they make a huge difference to me. This game also introduced a brand new concept to the series: A day and night cycle. This isn’t just a dumb gimmick as it actually changes up the gameplay. Every couple of turns, the time of the day shifts. This changes certain aspects about the board, such as which routes you can take. Stars also become cheaper at night. This adds an extra layer to the board itself, which just makes it more fun to traverse. Basically, Mario Party 6 is awesome.

3. Mario Party 4
kal0XSA.jpg

Mario Party 4 was the first entry on the GameCube. The game doesn’t really do anything unique. It continues where 3 left off, with the same item system and a lot of the same concepts. However, I don’t see this as a negative. What Mario Party 4 does, it does really, really well. While the boards may seem a little bland, especially compared to later GameCube entries, I personally believe Mario Party 4 has the best mini-game selection in the series. The Bowser mini-games are fantastic too. Mario Party 4 doesn’t feel as ambitious as 6, but for some reason, this is the one game I go back to the most.

2. Mario Party 2
nHpt6oA.jpg

This is a lot of people’s favorite Mario Party, and rightfully so. Mario Party 2 irons out the flaws of the first game and creates something truly special. In fact, it actually includes a lot of the mini-games from the first game (and leaves out the analog stick abusing ones). Mario Party 2 also introduced items, although players could only hold one at a time. Still, items are a big deal and add some strategy to a predominantly luck-based game. Few things are as satisfying as finding a Magic Lamp or call for Boo using the Boo Bell. A unique touch I like about this one is the fact that characters aren’t dressed in their usual outfits. They dress up in costumes depending on the board. So, for example, in Western Land, everyone is dressed up as cowboys. It’s a small thing, but I love it. The game oozes with personality and is certainly one of the best in the series, if not the best.

1. Mario Party 3
yhA7d8U.jpg

Here’s my number one: Mario Party 3. I believe it has the best item system in the series. It’s essentially the same as 2’s, but this time you can hold three items. The game also introduced two new characters to the mix, who would go on to become staples in the series: Daisy and Waluigi. Another great addition was the Story Mode. Yes, a story mode. You basically battle each character on a separate board in order to get stamps. It’s simple, but it works. In short, I think it takes what the first two games did right and just adds more on top of it. That’s why I believe it’s the best Mario Party game.

So that was my look back on the series. As you can see, I tend to favor the earlier games than the latest ones, but at the same time, I think it’s a shame most people dismiss the GameCube entries entirely. I actually think at least two of them are worth playing if you're into these types of games. Anyway, I mainly wrote this for fun, but I hope it sparks some discussion in here too. Feel free to disagree and tell me how wrong I am, how you feel about the games you've played, or discuss what elements you want to see in a new entry.

DNAbro

My favorite has to be a tie between 7 and 3. Both of them have some of the absolute best mini games in the series, and while 7 is just kind of retread of 6's board design, it still feels like a better version imo.

Also jesus fucking Christ Nintendo go back to the original style of games. Stop trying to fix what wasn't broken, no one likes the shitty car or whatever the hell you were trying to do with the 3DS one.

The only ones I ever played are 6 and 8, but have much more experience with 6. Glad I grew up with one of the better ones.

Redd

I would flip Mario Party 6 with MP4 and flip the top two. I hope one day Nintendo brings out a collection bundle for the Switch. One of the best party games for 4 people as long as you allow bonus stars.

Linkark07

Banned
Mario Party 2 will always be my favorite. Got it back when I was 8 years old, and I spent so many hours playing it.

The first Mario Party is also great too. After that, only played Mario Party 7 and that's all.

Jawmuncher

I will not accept this. Mario Party 9 is the best one. I really like the car mechanic. Though I agree it needed mini games incorporated better. However I still much preferred the streamline over long boards and getting stars of the older games.

Just for reference Nd Cube is Hudson Soft's Mario Party team that left after Hudson was bought out.

Honestly, while it is possible for you to miss a minigame space every single time and never get it as a bonus from dice blocks in Mario Party 9 & 10, it is less likely than getting a minigame every single roll. My issue with those games are that they take out the secondary currency so it is solely reliant on you being really good at minigames or luck positioning you so you get the ministars and your opponents get the miniztars. I view 6 & 7 as the high points of the series as they had decent minigames and had well designed maps with alternative objectives so it didn't rely on lucky star placement.

Farmboy

6 was my favorite, though I'll agree 4 had the best minigame selection. Also I thought 10 was a bit of a return to form after 9, even though the car still isn't great -- the fact that it offers a five-player mode makes it instantly cool, even if yes, Bowser is a bit OP.

They should really do an anniversary edition with the 10 best minigames and 2 best boards from each previous game. Such a no-brainer, really.

rardk64

Agreed on most points. The top one is definitely a toss-up between Mario Party 2 and 3 for me, though I do remember spending more time overall with 3 probably.

To this day, I'd love to see some sort of remaster/remake of the original 3 as a collection, but I know that'll never happen. I sort of hope Mario Party 11 goes back to basics.

Bakkus

10 is by far the worst. 6 is the best. 4 and 5 are meh. 1 & 2 are close to 6, but are hindered a bit by many unwinnable 1v3 minigames for one side.

Thud

I stopped playing after 5.

2 and 3 are also my favorites. 1 is the game that ruined my controllers. I think 4 was a bit bland. 5 has a pretty mediocre singleplayer, but making Tanks was great lol.

Clov

I haven't played all of them, but 3 is definitely my favorite with 2 as a close second. The original and 4 were pretty fun too, but I can't say I care much about the others. I started buying the games for myself instead of playing them at a friend's place starting with 3, but I got tired of the series and stopped buying them after 6.

The worst one I've played is 8; those controls just absolutely did not work for me. From the one time I played 10, I was pretty bored with that too.

iavi

The N64 Mario Party's are amazing party games to this day. I believe I didn't get far past that, though--stopping at 4 or 5 I think. Games got worse and burned out.

I'd love for the party style games to make a real comeback with the switch.

Here's an example of a franchise that got rammed into the ground. Too many too quickly and too same-y. I'm glad they didn't do the same with, say, Smash Bros. or that would've been depleted as well.

They should stick to one each new gen and give it their all, just like Smash.

I'm all for a new and traditional MP for Switch if done right.

hobozero

If they made a Mario Party that was basically NES Remix but around some sort of board game, it would be a system seller. Hell, put it on the NES Classic-like hardware, they'd make a fortune. Instead of some shitty mini game with waggle, land on this square and everyone has to play balloon fight. Next game - 4 player split screen of Mario 1-1 race to the finish.

They have the IPs, and the classic showed there's a market. Shit, how do I get a job at Nintendo so I can make them some damn money.

I've never played 7, 9, or 10 (even though 10 has been sitting on my shelf since launch day). 2, 3, 4 was definitely the hey-day of the series and I have a hard time picking a favorite from that batch. Probably would go with 2.

arigato

Only Mario Party I have played is the third one, and I remember playinng that game a lot. The game was amazing even in singleplayer.

Kneefoil

I've only ever played 1 & 4 a lot, and a little bit of 2, so there's not much on the list I can comment on. However, I like MP1 a lot more than 4 despite the stick rotation games. Board movement on 4 is just so slow and its further slowed down with the shops and items. 4 also only has a few notable mini games. Heck, Domination and Slime Time are basically the same mini game. Whoever mashes A the best wins.

I loved MP 1-6 in their own ways, but the series really fell off a cliff after 7. MP 8, 9, and 10 are some of the ugliest, least balanced/polished, and unsatisfying Nintendo games I've ever played. I hope the series is able to return to the heights of the latter N64/early GameCube days on the Switch, but we'll see.

clav

I loved MP 1-6 in their own ways, but the series really fell off a cliff after 7. MP 8, 9, and 10 are some of the ugliest, least balanced/polished, and unsatisfying Nintendo games I've ever played. I hope the series is able to return to the heights of the latter N64/early GameCube days on the Switch, but we'll see.

Nintendo could just do a mashup of 2 and 3 with high res. graphics + online multiplayer then ship it.

Everyone would love it.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
My top 3 are the exact same as yours with very similar reasoning. I should probably go find my N64 again... Are any of the top 3 on VC?

Why is 5 so low on the list? I revisted the 64/GC ones, and I definitely found it the best of the Gamecube entries (and my personal fave). The capsules really add to the unpredictability of the game, and that made matches a lot more fun for me and my siblings. Not to mention all the minigames and boards are fantastic. I regret avoiding it when I was younger. Was burnt out on 4 at the time, so I never got the chance to try it.

Dreavus

Never played 9 but I enjoyed 10. Obviously "strategy" goes out the window for the most part with the car, but the boards are a manageable length and the mini games are still a lot of fun. Honestly, the game being more random than the series already is doesn't really hurt it that much IMO. If I'm looking for a more competitive experience I'll just play a different game!

greelay

The first mario party is very bad. The games and the boards are boring. I think it should be closer to ten. I think the rest of the list is fine though.

Top Bottom