• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Mario Party series, ranked and revisited

They're all tied for last place.

lol my thoughts as well

Even back in 5th grade I hated MP1 at local gatherings. I was always trying to get WCW vs NWO World Tour or Mario Kart put on the TV. Been hating all minigame collections since. I like the board game idea of MP but I just hate the actual minigames, they're all so brainless. 1 2 Switch seems to be taking the brainless part and running with it.

Stopdoor

Love Mario Party, ranking threads just get me heated though. MP9 and 10 really aren't that bad, it's a different game with more luck focus but there's some interesting minigames and boards there. You still have hilarious upsets. Minigames aren't every turn but it's pretty much untrue you can play a board without landing on a minigame space - the game throws one in randomly if it's looking dry.

MP10 was a downgrade though in most ways from MP9 except for the awesome Bowser Party mode, which was also undercooked - 3 maps and 10 minigames? A real shame. I always find it silly when people call the mode unbalanced though, because I've played many matches and it usually comes down to skill level of the teams rather than some unbalance of the mode. Dice rolls really mess with that mode though, it's really boring if Bowser never catches you.

Star Rush was actually really interesting as well, I'm torn between being interested in experimentation and dreaming of a new classic-style game - it feels like hoping for that is a lost cause though, and in the end we have literally 8 or 9 games of that, so the outrage at Nintendo always seems dumb to me.

Overall, Mario Party 3 is the best and definitely edges out MP2 for me, the item selection and strategy is amazing when it isn't entirely spamming magic lamps. I'd also easily rep MP5 and MP6 over MP4, the latter one is really slow and the boards with the mini/mega system are such a buzzkill. I also played an 8 player game of MP7 recently and it was legendary, so I have to give that game more kudos.

RedToad64

I agree with Mario Party 3 being the absolute best. The original Mario Party should be closer to it, though. The games are very similar.

The mini games in MP4 are pretty awful. I think people need to go back and see how poorly they have stood up compared to the others.

Varjet

I personally believe Mario Party 4 has the best mini-game selection in the series.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Too bad about the boards, though. Not only do they tend to be really random, they are relatively slow and clunky too.

Revven

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Too bad about the boards, though. Not only do they tend to be really random, they are relatively slow and clunky too.

Not to mention 4's boards are pretty bland looking from an aesthetic point of view. They all feature this square blue pathway and float in the sky. While the main board aesthetics are just window dressing. They weren't designed like MP1-3 or like the games that came after it where the board... is actually part of the the aesthetics and not separate from it.

And then of course 4 has the awful Mega/Mini Mushroom system. Four items used up on it, no less. If it were just two items, it wouldn't be so bad but then they had to do Super versions of the mushrooms... because there was no Golden Mushroom. :/

So stupid.

As to the OP's ranking, 5 would be higher for me. Higher than 6 and 7, easily. Mainly because you have a lot more creativity and freedom with the capsules than you do in 6 & 7. There's more capsules, more permanent ones especially, and boards get filled up with everyone's spaces pretty quickly due to how many capsules there are as opposed to being limited to like 5-7 capsules like you are in 6 & 7.

MP1 would also rank higher even despite the rotating mini-games because of the unique boards & how it's the only game in the series that let's you get a random dice block if you turn them all on in the Item Bank in the overworld. It just adds to the chaos and makes it great when, say, you get a Warp Block randomly and switch with someone who was near a star lmao. Or, switch with someone who was near Bowser! Or, getting a 1-3 dice block and landing on Chance Time.

Plus, you can always make a truce with your friends over the rotating mini-games at this point -- that none of you will actually try on those mini-games. And from there it's just the regular non-rotating ones that you have to worry about, which there are plenty of to enjoy and compete in.

I stopped after 3.

2 > 3 > 1

You were supposed to wear an oven mitt or glove for that mini game.

Holding the joystick between your index finger and thumb was also acceptable.

I believe you were supposed to wear this:
ZoK14JH.jpg

What did you guys think of the Mario Party Gamecube game where you shared the controller with someone? Seems like something they thought about that when designing the Switch's joy-cons.

What do you guys think about Mario Party on GBA? The 2D graphics were pretty nice, and the mini games were decent. Doesn't get talked about much these days

Azuran

Banned
Mario Party 5 is my favorite because the capsules let to so many stupid and hilarious shenanigans. It was fun screwing over people.

Stopdoor

I believe you were supposed to wear this:

What did you guys think of the Mario Party Gamecube game where you shared the controller with someone? Seems like something they thought about that when designing the Switch's joy-cons.

People talking about their poor hands always gets me with Mario Party - I weep for the fragile N64 control sticks before people's self-abuse.

Split controller mode in MP7 is pretty awesome though if you have people really into it. I played a game recently and it was this awesome strategic mess. Being able to choose who represents the team in some minigames led to some hilarious "oh, you can play this minigame because I know you can take the other guy" discussions.

What do you guys think about Mario Party on GBA? The 2D graphics were pretty nice, and the mini games were decent. Doesn't get talked about much these days

I thought MPA was actually pretty cool, obviously it's not much of a multiplayer game but the main mode has a really weird charm to it. I actually printed off and laminated the physical board that originally came with it and played it with people. There's a selection of 10 or so "Gaddget minigames" where you all share a GBA/controller. It's has some funny upsets where people get sent back to the start, but most of those minigames barely qualify as minigames and get repetitive and it's literally 100% luck based without much depth. It's a shame there wasn't more to that mode or actual in-game link-up gameplay.

DSmd7Vq.jpg

I also picked up Mario Party-e recently and it's alright, but the e-Reader card-scanning is more of a hassle than its worth.

People talking about their poor hands always gets me with Mario Party - I weep for the fragile N64 control sticks before people's self-abuse.

Split controller mode in MP7 is pretty awesome though if you have people really into it. I played a game recently and it was this awesome strategic mess. Being able to choose who represents the team in some minigames led to some hilarious "oh, you can play this minigame because I know you can take the other guy" discussions.

I thought MPA was actually pretty cool, obviously it's not much of a multiplayer game but the main mode has a really weird charm to it. I actually printed off and laminated the physical board that originally came with it and played it with people. There's a selection of 10 or so "Gaddget minigames" where you all share a GBA/controller. It's has some funny upsets where people get sent back to the start, but most of those minigames barely qualify as minigames and get repetitive and it's literally 100% luck based without much depth. It's a shame there wasn't more to that mode or actual in-game link-up gameplay.

DSmd7Vq.jpg

I also picked up Mario Party-e recently and it's alright, but the e-Reader card-scanning is more of a hassle than its worth.

Yeah, the mini games were mediocre but the board game aspect was fun

Never heard of Mario Party-e until now! The e-reader is such a mysterious little device

Top Bottom