• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The honeymoon period is over.....What game did you once love, but now hate?

RMI

Banned
Overwatch.

Had a blast early on but then playing with randos just became an exercise in frustration.

I fell in love with Overwatch during its fall free weeekend, and I still think it has a lot of merit, mechanically. However, some developer decisions, as well as the community, have soured me on the game as time went on. I'm not against loading it up entirely, it just doesn't happen often. I only really hop back on during events, to get any skins I want.

Atomski

I feel like what happened to the Resident Evil series really soured me on 4. Loved it at the time but now whenever I play it just reminds me how it changed the series for the worst.

Although I have hardly touched the last one much yet.. probably need to pick it up again around Halloween.

Berordn

FFXV is the most recent example of this for me. While I thought it was a little weird at first I genuinely liked the dynamic of the road trip, but it really doesn't take that long for it to fall apart.

Samuraischnecke

Neo Member
It's really hard to write that down because I actually love that game as a whole...
But it's Nioh.
Not because I think the game is bad. I think it is perfect and it would be perfect to me especially, because it has all I ever dreamt of. (Except a claw-weapon.)

But my arachnophobia really gave me a hard time in this one. I never had much trouble with virtual spiders. Not even in Bloodborne, where they are pretty nasty. But those spiders have something my mind just can't handle. Maybe it's the speed or the way they move, maybe the stripes in black/yellow. I don't know, but they trigger me hard.

And then I had one panic attack after another when a fucking spider just hang on a door... And on the roof and FUCKING DROPS ON YOUR HEAD AND EATS YOU WTF. And another one. And a big one that I thankfully activated from a very far range... But it killed me. Not in the game, too good for that, even if I have to play blind. :p. I cried a fucking lot when I realized I won't have fun in this level anymore... And that I won't be able to enjoy any level after that because you never know when they put a spider in. And they hide them. And I hate it.

That doesn't mean I cannot play the game. If I take many, many breaks between encounters I am fine. But I simply don't enjoy exploring anymore. Not with that fear in mind.

But on the bright side I managed to get platinum while there was no DLC out yet. Pretty proud of that. Would play it more if they wouldn't change enemy (spuder) locations in each difficulty. When I know where they are I would play them aswell. :S

Omg. That's a fucking long text I am sorry lul.

Tl;dr: Spiders are fucking bullshit and I want a mod in Nioh that replaces them with cute, pink ponies.

ODDI

I wouldn't say I hate it but The Witcher 3, started playing the game with a very excited mindset but now I shudder just looking at it in its case.

mcw

Persona 5.

Initially: "Man, this art style! This music! Oh, yeah!"
Eventually: "Man, this combat system! This plot! Fuck this!"

Fou-Lu

Hate is a strong word, but Dota 2 is something I will never play again. Matches take too long and there is too much toxicity in the community.

Bakercat

There are some games where I look back now and I can't believe I actually liked it.

I used to like fallout 3 a lot when it first came out. It was my first fallout game and all I thought was that I loved the elder scrolls, and this was more the same. Then I played new vegas and I enjoyed myself even more. I didn't think much at the time though because I just thought it was more the same and just as enjoyable. It wasn't until fallout 4 came out that I started to notice problems with the series. At first I couldn't pinpoint why I couldn't enjoy fallout 4 and in the end hated it, but after watching a few videos on YouTube I was able to find a concrete explanation as to why I hated it. After that I watched hbomberman's examination of why fallout 3 is garbage. At first I was upset by the title and the amount of dislikes made me think it was wrong, but I actually gave it a chance and by the end I figured out that nothing much had changed from 3 to 4 and that yeah they are pretty shitty fallout games. New Vegas is the exception because it wasn't made by Bethesda and it's more like 1 and 2 which I haven't had the chance to play, but would love too sometime. Yeah, I can't believe there was a time I actually liked fallout 3, but it understandable when it's your first fallout and you're not used to better games in the series.

I also loved bioshock infinite when It came out. I actually enjoyed it so much that it's one of the few games that I did back to back playthroughs on it on the hardest settings the second time. I think it's because bioshock 1 is one of my favorite games ever that I really enjoyed infinite. I knew the gameplay was shit and even worse than 1 which was bad in its own right, but the setting and plot was what drove me. For years I loved the game, until people I talked to brought up inconsistencies with the story that I never caught onto. After that I started to analyze the story and from there it just falls apart completely, I couldn't believe that I had fell for a simple but unnecessarily convoluted story that doesn't stick to any of its hundreds of ideas and topics and just chooses to tackle any theme it wants to at anytime without fully addressing them. I did go back to bioshock one to make sure I wasn't fooled again, and even though I thought it seemed a little cheesy at times, it stuck to its premise the entire story and had tackled its themes well enough, so I'm glad it just wasn't a problem with all of the series. I do stil love the setting and atmosphere of infinite and nothing beats the first hour of arriving in the city and just exploring. After that, it just turns to shit.

There are others that I eventually grew to dislike, but these two games are the ones that come off the top of my head.

Marvel

could never
I... don't think I hate any games. Tried really hard to think of some... I guess I am less excited about CoD these past few years. Used to do scrims and fiend for them up until MW3.

Lilo_D

Maybe person 5 stop right before the final boss, I'm not very fond of the ending
Now other games come in, i can't really see myself start it again (or maybe my ps4 again)

Griss

Hyrule Warriors for me. Had a great time playing through the campaign, but as I started working through Adventure Mode to unlock the characters I wanted I began to sour on the game until eventually I despised it. Won't ever play another musou because of it, unless they create one with no levelling systems in it.

mcw

Ah, yeah-- I guess I'd include Bioshock Infinite as well. I was really enjoying the game up until Shantytown. There's a part where you go into a bar, brutally murder everyone there, then walk downstairs, pick up a guitar, and start playing / singing a folk ballad. I get what they were trying to go for, but not only was it totally forced and unearned, it also showed such a lack of awareness of how poorly the scene had been paced that I nearly threw the disc out the window. It was a few days before I went back to the game and finished it, my opinion of it having been lowered significantly.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Hate is a strong word. Some great games mentioned in here to "hate".

I became indifferent towards Nier: Automata, partly because I was balancing multiple games at the time, plus needing to beat a game five times is a daunting task. But I don't hate it, that's for sure.

SoundLad

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare on PC

I loved this game back at release, it felt like everyone was on even playing field and had fun learning combos and maps, which were excellent. Oh, and those voice emotes! Ended up racking 230+ hours during 2012 but stopped somewhere around when the Deadliest Warrior expansion was released.

It just didn't feel right anymore, more people were finding glitches for attacks with no wind-ups, etc. Haven't touched it since 2013.

Kade

Overwatch.

I was really, REALLY hyped on the game. Levels of hype that I haven't reached in years. It became one of those games I thought about nonstop when I wasn't playing it, dreading every minute of the day leading up to when I could get back in my chair and play some more. Love the characters, love the art, love the tone. Three of the groups I play with and myself eventually got frustrated with it as a competitive game and either went back to other games or picked up new ones.

The Judge

FFXV. I had fun in the beginning. Then I noticed most of it came from nostalgia. Game design, writing and gameplay were a mess.

This for me too. The beginning was really fun at first, then after a few hours I realised how shallow the gameplay actually is. KH2 came out 10 years ago (made by the same company, also action-based rpg) and that battle system wipes the floor of FF15. Add that to a mess of a plot/story and the awful second half of the game. Forced myself through the end, even though I had been hating on the game for the past 10 hours. Beat and deleted instantly.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I usually don't have a honeymoon period with games, I either like it from the beginning and always like it or I don't.

FelipeMGM

I dont think I ever went from loving to absolutely hating a game.

Thats quite a huge shift, I cant eve picture how that would work,

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I rarely play Overwatch anymore.

It's just devolved into only being able to play certain characters or some random yells at you and curses you out for the whole match.

When my friends played it was a lot more fun, but playing solo is just eh to me.

Yeah, same here. After about 200 hours and a competitive community that's devolved into shit, I just cannot bring myself to care about it anymore. It's probably been about a month since I've picked it up and I have no desire to touch it anymore.

N° 2048

Overwatch.

I was really, REALLY hyped on the game. Levels of hype that I haven't reached in years. It became one of those games I thought about nonstop when I wasn't playing it, dreading every minute of the day leading up to when I could get back in my chair and play some more. Love the characters, love the art, love the tone. Three of the groups I play with and myself eventually got frustrated with it as a competitive game and either went back to other games or picked up new ones.

This for me too, but it was because, holy fuck, I've never seen a community go from good to toxic shit so fast.

Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I loved it on release. Got the Platinum and all. Now, the more time passes, the more I realize its shortcomings and limitations. The story wasn't that great, the combat was just serviceable (the melee is terrible, but that's something I knew even back then), the world is pretty but deeply uninteresting.

I still like the game. I just don't think it is this ground-breaking, game-changing masterpiece that sets the bar for all open-world games that some people argue it is. It's just OK.

Trying to remember how I dealt with the horrible camera in Horizon. It was like zoomed in on her shoulder blade in towns.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I loved it on release. Got the Platinum and all. Now, the more time passes, the more I realize its shortcomings and limitations. The story wasn't that great, the combat was just serviceable (the melee is terrible, but that's something I knew even back then), the world is pretty but deeply uninteresting.

I still like the game. I just don't think it is this ground-breaking, game-changing masterpiece that sets the bar for all open-world games that some people argue it is. It's just OK.

DukeBobby

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies.

I had it in my top ten list in 2013, but I now think it is by far the worst game in the series and a mediocre game in general. I still really like the DLC case, though.

I fear the same thing could happen with Ace Attorney 6, but to a lesser degree.

Tuck

Breath of the Wild for me.

Like many, I sunk hundreds of hours into the game because the itch to explore was unrelenting. I had to get back to the game so I could see what was out there. So I could find the next secret, or see the next view, and meet the next character.

This phenomenon relied greatly on the game's greatest strength: mystery. But after completing the game, the mystery is gone. There are no more surprises. You know where everything is. You'll never be surprised to land on Eventide Island for the first time again, or find the Guardian graveyard in Akkala, or bring together strangers and watch a village grow, or find a Lynel by accident. All these things only work once.

Once they're known, and done before, the appeal of retread is greatly diminished. The first time I played, I would lose hours and hours wandering because you never knew what was out there. My subsequent replay attempts have asked me "what's the point?"

I don't hate it or anything like that. I'll make one final go of it when the DLC finishes. But chances of me ever feeling the same way as I did the first round are pretty low.
I see this view expressed a lot, and not just about BoTw. It's extremely strange to me.

"I spent hundreds of hours on this game, enjoyed every second, but now I've seen everything so it's not fun to return to"

Well, obviously. Did you expect it to last forever?

To be, it doesn't matter if a game is fun to go back to (though it's nice when it is), the main thing is about whether that first play through was enjoyable or not.

Pachinko

Resident evil 5, Final fantasy 13 , final fantasy 15 are all games I started out liking but somewhere around halfway through the flaws really started to stand out bad. I did end up finishing FFXV but that story was just awful , shame too because the characters were well made. I also beat RE5 back in the day but I really don't know why , the first time sheva got herself OHKO'd thanks to horrible AI programming I stopped having fun with the game. As for FFXIII ? I kept playing it because it looked great but 15 hours in that wasn't enough and I never did go back.

The number 1 game that I tried really hard to get into but ultimately gave up on and outright despised for months ? bloodborne. I rolled up 2 separate characters and spent 20 hours playing to the point that I could do just about anything without much wasted effort ... short of beating the second boss. 30 attempts at trying to kill Gascoigne later and I just threw in the towel. I spent over a year just not getting how anyone could find a game where you did nothing but die constantly , suffering horrible load times each time , replaying huge chunks of stages fighting the same enemies over and over to be fun. Eventually Dark Souls 3 car out and I played it on PC. Free of the console born technical issues I ended up liking it quite a bit ! It also helped that there's no unbeatable boss in what amounts to the training area in DS3. Honestly the mistake is on me for assuming bloodborne would be a good Souls title to start with , DS3 is the better pick because it's MUCH easier to play. You'll still die and it's still a hard game but I never got the feeling that you HAVE to play the game to 100% of your ability right from minute 1 like Bloodborne.

WaterAstro

That never happens to me.

I mean, I guess World of Warcraft, but that's because they updated the game into shit. I didn't buy the shitty expansions.

BriGuy

"Hate" is s strong word, but neither BotW nor Persona 5 deserve their effusive praise. Solid games, but I have no desire to ever return to them.

SUPGUYZ

Banned
Considering how many people still don't "get" BioShock, I have to wonder if it's really ham-fisted. People fail to take meaning and understanding from things that, I would think, are extremely obvious by now. But people still don't get it and say asinine stuff like "the BioShock 1 remaster should have had the Little Sisters from BioShock 2."

I think part of the aging problem with BioShock is people have begun taking it for granted and don't respect it for what it accomplishes.

I "get" Bioshock but when it comes to gameplay the level design was tedious(Come to this area..JUST KIDDING something breaks and blocks your path, take this way to get a specific power now!) and killing Big Daddies got old after about 2 hours. Ken Levine is a good writer but as a package I think the game hasn't aged well.

Witcher 3

I really really loved it when I played it at launch. I even enjoyed Hearts of Stone when it came out. Blood and Wine is where I fell off. When you're gone from the game so long, you start to look at the game much differently.

Look, Witcher 3, as a video game, kinda sucks. The combat is clumsy and dull, most of the quests are very similar in design, and the RPG elements are just garbage. I realize now that the only thing keeping me attached this game at launch was the writing and its presentation.

I don't hate the game at all, but I have far less respect for it now. I just can't really appreciate it the way I did before.

MilkyJoe

Battlefront - day one was star wars awesomeness, played all weekend. Turned it on the following weekend and it was a mess of jump packs and levelled up people spawn camping and generally murdering anyone that hadn't played it 12 hours a day for the whole previous week.

Fire Emblem Awakening. Got it on launch day hyped as all hell, marathoned it in a couple of days... and then realized I just hated it. I've tried to replay it a lot since then but it just doesn't work.

First I loved The Witcher 3, the world is amazing and pretty much everything is amazing. The control is a bit janky but It doesn't bother me at all.

1 month into the game the plot starts to feel stupid and cliche near the end, even the villian feels generic and uninteresting. The visuals design of the villian feels uninspired and unimpressive as well.

I have been a long time Witcher fan, I loved The Witcher 1&2 and I especially loved the books.

The Witcher 3, while being a great open world game, loses a lot of atmosphere that were present in previous Witcher games.
It feels way too shallow and mainstream compare to the universe in the books. It's more inspired and less generic than your typical Dragon Age fantasy design, but still lack a lot of that atmosphere compare to the books and previous games.

The only part in the game where it actually lives up to the brilliance of the Witcher universe is the Bloody Baron quest and the Skellige islands. Those are the best parts of Withcer 3 in my opinion.

TL;DR
In the end, I don't hate TW3. I just feel like it loses the brilliance and atmosphere of The Witcher series.

Witcher 3

I really really loved it when I played it at launch. I even enjoyed Hearts of Stone when it came out. Blood and Wine is where I fell off. When you're gone from the game so long, you start to look at the game much differently.

Look, Witcher 3, as a video game, kinda sucks. The combat is clumsy and dull, most of the quests are very similar in design, and the RPG elements are just garbage. I realize now that the only thing keeping me attached this game at launch was the writing and its presentation.

I don't hate the game at all, but I have far less respect for it now. I just can't really appreciate it the way I did before.

I felt the same about the game design of TW3 as well.

Flarin

Star Ocean 5. So hard.

Yeah, it's bad, but I actually really like how it started. Reminded me of a PS2 JRPG in a good way. I liked the combat, the game had a cool look and the music was nice. Then it starts getting annoying...

Super long cutscenes, giant empty fields to run through, and those GODDAMN protect your party member while they're on the computer fights. Holy shit those are infuriating. Your team AI is so brain dead and the party member you need to protect dies before you even have a chance.

I've never rage quit and sold a game so fast in my life.

Wedzi

Banned
God of War 1 blew me away when I first played it in 2005, but I'm so fucking sick of Kratos that I couldn't imagine playing it again. I don't hate the game, but I do hate the character.

I'm curious, does his character transformation do anything for you at all in God of War PS4?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I wouldn't say I hate it, but I rarely play Overwatch anymore.

It's just devolved into only being able to play certain characters or some random yells at you and curses you out for the whole match.

When my friends played it was a lot more fun, but playing solo is just eh to me.

This was my experience as well.

I don't really have time to find a group of online people to play with or to get really good at the game. So as the average player gets better and better and the randoms are your typical internet assholes, I kinda gave up.

Too Human..ME and my GF at the time broke up and I played non stop till I beat it...A few weeks later I made a friend get it so we could play and we didn't even last 25 mins before stopping and both sold the game..I Still can't believe I played thru and beat that POS game

Top Bottom