• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The honeymoon period is over.....What game did you once love, but now hate?

I wouldn't say I loved it, but I really gave FFXIII all the chances in the world when it come out, and defended a lot of it's gameplay choices for a while after release. Now it's probably the only game I have what I would consider a hyperbolic disliking towards. Anytime I see something from XIII being featured in new FF material
so most of the time
I cringe a bit.

I don't hate Persona 5 but I went from, "Holy shit! This is the best!" to thinking that was an alright game. It was only a week after I finished it that I started to realise how much I didn't enjoy the final dozen or so hours. The plot had completely turned to shit at a certain point but I guess I just wanted to see it through.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Fire Emblem Awakening. Got it on launch day hyped as all hell, marathoned it in a couple of days... and then realized I just hated it. I've tried to replay it a lot since then but it just doesn't work.
I think I played it long enough to try out all the classes, then realized that was the only reason I even kept playing. Lord knows it wasn't for the story or the insipid 1-dimensional characters.

Ninja Dom

Breath of the Wild for me.

Like many, I sunk hundreds of hours into the game because the itch to explore was unrelenting. I had to get back to the game so I could see what was out there. So I could find the next secret, or see the next view, and meet the next character.

This phenomenon relied greatly on the game's greatest strength: mystery. But after completing the game, the mystery is gone. There are no more surprises. You know where everything is. You'll never be surprised to land on Eventide Island for the first time again, or find the Guardian graveyard in Akkala, or bring together strangers and watch a village grow, or find a Lynel by accident. All these things only work once.

Once they're known, and done before, the appeal of retread is greatly diminished. The first time I played, I would lose hours and hours wandering because you never knew what was out there. My subsequent replay attempts have asked me "what's the point?"

I don't hate it or anything like that. I'll make one final go of it when the DLC finishes. But chances of me ever feeling the same way as I did the first round are pretty low.

But that's alright and that's how it's meant to be. Of course after over 100 hours, things are not gonna be a surprise to you. Much like watching Unbreakable or The Sixth Sense. You can't start hating or disliking them simply cos you've seen them once and now know what's gonna happen and know the mystery when you watch them again. And it doesn't stop them from being great.

Mupod

Mechwarrior Online

despite the jank and simplicity of the early beta I had a lot of fun, and was really optimistic for the future of the game. Even though our groups had to reform after every 3-4 matches because everyone needed to restart due to memory leaks. And Jenners were impossible to hit without lock-on weapons because the netcode was so bad.

About 6-7 months or so in I couldn't stand to look at it anymore. It was arguably a bigger technical mess at that point, they'd screwed up the game balance so badly that close range mechs were useless and the community warfare aspect was nowhere in sight. I have no idea if they ever actually added that, and I'm sure if they did it was a disappointment too.

I understand some of the problems with the game were caused by their publisher forcing them to focus more on milking mechwarrior fans than a good game. And I've heard things improved once they gained their independence. I'll give PGI another shot when they release the new mechwarrior game they're working on but man I have no confidence whatsoever in their technical competence.

breadtruck

Playerunkown's Battlegrounds.

At nearly 2 hours in, I was really considering asking for the Steam refund. But I kept it.

Now at 13 hours in, I ask myself why did I keep this stupid game any time I boot it up. I keep giving it a chance to shine, but all it does it leave me pissed at some sort of bullshit.

Shredderi

It's gotta be Bioshock Infinite. I loved that game at release but I know I will never play it again. I know I will play Bioshock 1 & 2 again down the line.

Zero Escape as a whole. Zero Time Dilemma ruined it for me. 999 and VLR are still sublime but I'm barely lukewarm on the series overall, now that I know there's no catharsis.

jackal27

Banned
Definitely not Splatoon 2 geeze. The thing just released not 2 days ago!

I think for me Skyrim fits pretty nicely into this category, or most open-world games. They start out with seemingly a lot of promise, but then you realize that what you've seen in the first 10 hours or so is mostly all there is to the entire game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The Fable series. I was in love with it. I'd even explain it to people as "Project Ego". I picked up the game on release. I had 2-3 people over to play it. I bought the sequel and I even lent it to a friend I met in college. I bought the 3rd game and it was alright. I always felt like this game was really something. I'd have good and bad characters.

Now I don't feel like I'll ever go back. Games have evolved in a lot of ways. Sure the whole appearance thing would be cool, but even Infamous did that with its darker powers. Fable seems like a lot of fluff without giving the player a lot of reward. There are going to be campaigns to play and some of the older games I'd rather play instead.

I was on board with RAGE. It sits uninstalled. I was all hyped to see the Id tech engine too. You'd think showing it off on iOS meant the game was gonna be even more amazing.

I loved Dragon Age. I finished 1 & 2, 1's expansion and Inquisition. You would think I was a huge DA fan, but I don't even feel like the games existed some days. I'd love to see them make another one, but I'll probably never go back.

I feel like I played the vast majority of games that got 3 or more entries last gen.

I finished Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain. I don't know if I'll ever boot them up again. Detroit looks cool, but the latter feel like a one hit wonder.

The Force Unleashed had a lot of hype, even had Starkiller in Soul Calibur IV. Well, where did that go? It's like a thing of the past and he took down a star destroyer with the force.

Flux

Rainbow six siege went from honeymoon to abusive marriage. I play it when I know I only have a half hour or so regularly. The community is so toxic now and full of the worst online gamers your mind conjures up.

Hating games helps me grow as a gamer, as a game critic, as an armchair developer, and as a person. So it is my subconscious goal to hate nearly all games I play, save for the few I crown king.

That said... I loved WoW from launch up until BC, then tried to go back years later, and it went from epic journey, to ride-the-mary-go-round. But that was due to the game design itself changing. The only time I've felt a strong dislike towards something I enjoyed on it's own, would probably be games that had really good things about them, but where I had to put up with some bad mechanics or something. Like JRPGs with drags like tedious battle systems, or encounter design.

I did love Fire Emblem Conquest on Lunatic Classic until I realized it was, "figure out what the designer wants you to do to win" then I dropped it with no desire to go back.

Van Bur3n

Bioshock Infinite. I remember loving it on my first playthrough and thought its story was brilliant until later I truly realized how garbage it all once.

I thought FE conquest was a very good game weighted down by its story. But the more time passes, the more I come to dislike the game.

Gaenor

Banned
If we're talking about games that we loved for the first few weeks, and then not even want to turn on again :

• Forza Horizon 2 (and yet I'm still loving FH3 almost a year after its release)
  • Tearaway Unfolded
I was also THE biggest Morrowind fan

Please... ;)

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the rest though !! Still, I have hope that someday they'll stop dumping down the series.

Guild Wars 2. I really enjoyed it in beta and at release. I lasted about a month before any desire I had to play it dropped off a cliff. Now I really dislike the game to the point I can't remember why I enjoyed it. I don't enjoy the combat. I find the graphics themselves to be kinda ugly (though the jungle from the expansion is gorgeous in design and scale), and I dislike the entire progression of the game. Thinking about GW2 just makes me miss Guild Wars 1.

Definitely not Splatoon 2 or BotW for me. Geez. Two of the best games released this year. I can't get enough of either.

My answer is
Horizon: Zero Dawn

I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it, but Breath of the Wild is something I don't even think about anymore. I tried jumping back in and within minutes, I realized I didn't care.

Yeah. For a while I thought it would be one of those games I would keep coming back to all year, finding new secrets and stuff, but once I stopped playing I found it really tough to get back into. I did manage to go back and beat Ganon, but yeah, nothing has drawn me back since then. I don't hate it though. It was fun.

I view GTA V the exact same way.

oooh....Infamous: SS. Game left such a great first impression, but quickly wiped that away with repetitive mission structure, boring environments and a very lackluster story. I might hate inFamous Second Son.

Tapejara

Not quite as intense a shift from "I absolutely love this!" to "this is awful", but in the past few weeks my opinion on the Crash N.Sane trilogy has started to drift more towards disappointment. Vicarious Visions did a great job from both a visual standpoint and general QoL improvements, but many of the small changes to how Crash handles (as well as the hitbox issues) result in a game that doesn't play as well as the originals imo. I know it was never going to be a 1:1 recreation of the PS1 games, but I can't help but wish they had tweaked it just a bit more.

Probably Arkham Knight.
Was really excited for the game as it ends the main trilogy and the graphics and combat looked great as ever. However, I wasn't really a fan of Scarecrow and the batmobile sections were mediocre.
I thought the batnobile was cool for the first 15 hours or so.

I think this was a slow thing for me with DK64, back when it was still new. The game felt great and was a lot of fun early on, but the deeper I got into the game, the more stuff I unlocked and the more requirements I ran into to progress, I just slowly got more and more annoyed that the game wanted me to do a bunch of stupid stuff to get further instead of being fun like it initially was. Swapping Kongs was annoying, all the collectables made every single level tedious, and even if I was having a good time there was this lingering feeling that I'd have to switch to a different character and come back and do this all several more times to get the collectables that were for everyone else.

I hate DK64 now. But if you had asked me on like day 2 or 3 of playing it I'd have told you it was great.

y2chae

Neo Member
I really liked Dragon Age Inquisition when I first played it for 15 hours or so. It being one of the first big AAA releases on a next gen system and it did a lot of things well but as the game went on, there wasn't much depth to it. I wouldn't say I hate the game now but I realized the game had a lot of filler and wasn't all that fun after awhile.

ARMS. It was fun playing with GAF after launch, but then our lobbies fell apart and now everything is focused on competitive games. Everyone I meet in random lobbies/ranked matches are lightyears ahead of me in terms of skill, and I don't find the game fun enough to bother honing my skills. I just want to casually play as if it was a party game, but that's clearly not going to happen online. Oh, and to make matters worse, the games meta is just spamming.

I bought the game digitally too, so no returns or selling.

DaBuddaDa

Final Fantasy XI. I played many years, grinded endgame, the whole nine yards. I tried going back on a whim about two years ago and it was pretty much unplayable for me now. Still love my memories of it and friends I met on the journey.

Justinh

Hat is a strong word, and inaccurate in my case, but I used to love Doom 3. I played it when it was a new game on PC and thought it was amazing. I still had higher thoughts of it later on too.

I just cannot play it now though, after Doom 4 came out.

For some reason that really made me lol.

Oh lol. You got me gigglin'

Synth

FAST Racing Neo for me.

Went from "omfg, new WipEout/F-Zero style game!!!" to "a lot of the design choices in this are horrible, and the handling doesn't match the track design" in under a week.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Didn't expect to see so many Botw mentions. Yikes. Tho I did say that, in time, it won't be as highly thought of as it was at release ;)

For me, the most recent game was the new Echoes Fire Emblem game. Loved it at first but the terrible gameplay wore me out.

silva1991

Hate is a strong word. When I first finished Dark Souls 2 I was like it's the best Souls game for sure, bt this opinion didn't last. I just kept slowly thinking less and less of it with time especially after Bloodborne came out.

I don't hate it, but I think way less of it and it's the weakest in the series for me now.

Momentary

Banned
Street Fighter V. I grew to dislike it more and more over time. After the rootkit incident, I pretty much just completely lost motivation to play the game. A rootkit can change your MBR and "removing" it doesn't fix that problem. I went ahead a reformatted and reinstalled the OS to be safe.

HvySky

Persona 5

Hate is a strong word, but...

I can't remember the last time I had been so hyped for a game. Persona 3 and 4 are two of my favorite games ever, and nothing short of a new Metroid game would be able to top the excitement I had for Persona 5. The first 20 hours or so were fantastic, too. It met, nay, exceeded my expectations. I was so happy.

Then the rest of the game happened. It'll probably go down as one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. I uninstalled it immediately upon seeing the ending and will likely never touch it again.

Astral Dog

Uh. I guess Metroid other M because i really tried to like it
I feel like what happened to the Resident Evil series really soured me on 4. Loved it at the time but now whenever I play it just reminds me how it changed the series for the worst.

Although I have hardly touched the last one much yet.. probably need to pick it up again around Halloween.
That wasn't the fault of the RE4 team they were fired after for no good reason 😢

bleaker

Beyond: Two Souls. I love Heavy Rain a lot and replay every now and again, and I initially felt that way about Beyond. Then I never you he's it again and the thought of doing so rarely comes up.

Also Tekken 7. I think it has the best fighting system of any game this gem, but as a person who gets wrecked online, the lack of single player content hurts man.

canedaddy

FF Tactics A2 comes to mind. I started it and was so happy to be playing a new FFT... but before long I realized they did everything they could to make the game a drag.

Kaji AF16

Destiny.

I waited for it, already in my thirties, like if I was a ten-year old kid. I hoped for it to showcase the post-Reach (my favorite Halo and in my All-Time Top 25) Bungie, the mythic developers who escaped from Microsoft´s grasp in order to achieve full creative freedom. I played for it a lot (about 250 hours on each platform) both on Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Eventually I saw it from another perspective. Not only the story was almost non-existant, but the lore didn´t take itself seriously... one of the elements I loved from Reach, which was the most dramatic Halo.

The gameplay is ultimately very shallow, relying on the solid shooting mechanics and the fabled 30-seconds loop to make you grind to exhaustion in order to get a new gun... which will become obsolete with the following DLC.

Some of the social aspects were innovative for a console game, but I didn´t like what I saw: Destiny became so popular than say half of my thirty-something gaming friends, who now have limited time to play because of family / work / adult life, spend it almost entirely doing raids or customizing their guardians. Some of them did not play The Witcher 3, Warframe or Rainbow Six: Siege (very different games, but all of them vastly superior to Destiny IMHO), for example, just because Destiny demanded too much gaming time from them and left them without options. Somewhat of an addiction.
A lot of people blindly preordered D2 without even playing the beta, also.

Lots of the promises were not fulfilled, and Bungie left Microsoft in order to produce a colorful space shooter for another gargantuan company.

Tapejara

Beyond: Two Souls. I love Heavy Rain a lot and replay every now and again, and I initially felt that way about Beyond. Then I never you he's it again and the thought of doing so rarely comes up.

Also Tekken 7. I think it has the best fighting system of any game this gem, but as a person who gets wrecked online, the lack of single player content hurts man.

I remember really liking Beyond: Two Souls when I first played it, but I haven't revisited it since. I'm curious to see if it still holds up for me, might pick up the PS4 version next time it goes on sale.

Gulz1992

Maybe Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly. I liked it almost as much as the PS1 games when I was a kid. Now that I'm older, I realize how terrible and unfinished it is. And that the load times are unforgivable.

MoonFrog

Not quite to topic but...

I played Persona 5 non-stop, in part because I was addicted to it, in part because I didn't want to look at my life at that moment, with it being all but confirmed that I was not going to be able to go forward along my then-current path. It was just Persona, all day, all night.

I did a little thinking on the game after my first run and then I played it again, with a more critical eye, because I knew my sister had been sucked into the games seeing me play it and that eventually, she'd get there too and I wanted to come to terms with how I felt about it all before I discussed it with her.

I walked away from that second run with a firmer grasp on how I felt and my initial positive reaction reconfirmed. Thinking about it also, however stupid this might sound, helped me turn around some things in my head and decide how to proceed in my life in a situation where I no longer had any positive inclination towards doing anything. I wouldn't say I've made a good decision, but there wasn't a good decision to be made. So the game touched me quite deeply in that way.

At the same time though, this path of discovery involved discussing the game here on GAF and explicating where I felt the game fell short and the sort of limitations the series is working within. And then my sister had quite a toxic reaction to this game in particular, even if she's sort of walked it back over time. And then GAF has also turned more on the game, over time. So...the game got clouded a bit for me in both my own negative impressions and those around me and I started to question my affection for it again, in a more pessimistic light.

But then there was that Kotaku thread and for some reason putting down where I thought it fell short as a game, what I thought its strengths were, and how it compared to P3 and P4 was a cathartic experience. The cloud lifted within me.

IDK why exactly. Part of it is I realized that by my own standards my first post on the pros and cons of Persona 5 in that thread failed as a worthwhile critique. When I got to discussing the story, all I had to say were the problems I had with it, which is simply not a full view of my impressions of it. Part of it is that juxtaposing the story directly against that of Persona 4, which one vein of the thread was trying to hold up as obviously superior, undercut that vein of the thread, putting in full view just how overblown the criticism wrt that has become. I was able to see again that if I was able to like Persona 4 despite its flaws, and if that was being accepted as a fine position, why wasn't it the same with Persona 5? Why was my liking it problematic to me, given the things I could say about it? I was able to put my own and other people's criticisms in better perspective again.

Top Bottom