• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The honeymoon period is over.....What game did you once love, but now hate?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Zelda BotW was a lot of fun most of the time, but upon reflection, I think I might even place it behind Wind Waker in terms of 3D Zeldas (So, last position. At best, it is directly in front of TWW). The reasons are the weak dungeons, lack of structure, and pockets of emptiness. Also, some really annoying systems. It is the first Zelda game I really don't feel like ever playing again, even though I did have a lot of fun during my time with it.

Bioshocker

Halo 5. Bought it day one, played, liked it, finished it and have never returned.

Btw, I have finished BioShock Infinite three times and am now playing it again. That game is still awesome. So few games have this magic that just doesn't vanish (The Last of Us is another example).

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I used to play Fifa, it was my goto game for years. Then I just started to realise how broken it was and every year it got worse. Have barely touched it for years now.

Uncharted 2. The other Uncharteds I've played sucked from the beginning, but UC2 was really good for a while.

Overwatch. I loved it at first. Now I just follow it a bit out of a morbid fascination for watching Blizzard try and kill it.

Layell

Okamiden, a portable sequel to a beloved game. But then all of a sudden the puzzles are all rehashed, the game feels extremely linear and I ended up selling it with Sticker Star.

FinalAres

Nah, I have no problem with personal opinions. I simply responded to this:

'Cause it's not going to be true. If you don't like the game, that's fine. I'll continue to shout from the rooftops that the Bioshock series is garbage. Doesn't change the fact that it's a beloved, influential franchise.
Interesting to see how defensive some people can still be of A simple observational comment about Zelda.

trixx

The problem with splatoon is that the base game is good, the mechanics are amazing, but there's so much nonsensical things holding it back. Basically the problem with the first game and I think Splatoon 2 is the same as the first with the addition of Salmon Run(which is real good)

Zelda is really good but it's too much imo. Could be better with more dungeons and more things in between in general

FinalAres

For me it's FFXV. I really enjoyed my time with it but it feels like such a hollow, half finished game.

Playing XII especially makes you realise how empty it all is. Open World was just unnecessary for that game.

Fallout 4. I was so overcome with the hype of a new entry to one of my favourite franchises that I initially overlooked its many many flaws.

zMiiChy-

Banned
A lot of mentions for BotW and Persona 5 in here, as expected.
:p

World of Final Fantasy is probably the closest occurrence I can think of to match the thread's premise.

I never fall victim to hype cycles, but that was the first game I bought at launch in years and I found it extremely disappointing.

I don't understand the "honeymoon period" as a concept.

Are you saying that after your honeymoon you hate your wife?

Anyways, if said honeymoon period applied to games mean I hate a game I once loved even after I finished it, then there's no such thing. I've played games that the more I played the more I disliked them despite having a favorable first impression like Eternal Sonata, though.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I felt suckered into buying Just Cause 3 and SW Battlefront due to good first impressions, but now I don't like playing either. Battlefield 1 is similar, though to a lesser extent.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm curious, does his character transformation do anything for you at all in God of War PS4?

Not the poster, but I agree with him that Kratos and the terrible motives annoyed me in further games(though I still enjoyed the gameplay spectacle).

Personally new God of War does nothing for me. Game itself looks wonderful, but the fact that it's Kratos comes across as cheap. Arguably if they were to resurrect God of War, this is the way to do it, as his anger arc has been mined too deep. Still feel this patriarchal protector concept would have worked better for me with a new protagonist and original IP. Again, game segments look great though, but the fact it's Kratos? Eh...

ajb1888

Banned
Fallout 4 became a bit boring after 20 hours.. its a shame. Skyrim is one of my all time favs with hundreds of hours (still going).

I just can't get into Fallout's world..

Fallout 4. I was so overcome with the hype of a new entry to one of my favourite franchises that I initially overlooked its many many flaws.

I still haven't played it, I'm waiting to be able to get stoned and stuff like I did with Fallout 3. I assume as a series fan that since you had a ...falling out.... with it, that you don't have access to mods?

Not anything to do with Fallout specifically, but a lot of games that end up completely turning me off, I know in a few months, a year, whatever, my mindset will actually change and I'll really appreciate the game for a while. This happens to me with all games though. It's obviously also affected by how well systems are hidden or integrated, and how long it takes them to become tedious

I just can't get into Fallout's world..

Makes sense. The pretense of this thread though is hating games you loved. Akin to a honeymoon period after a wedding

labx

Banned
Overwatch. +120 hours. The toxicity of the community and the unbalanced of some heroes (ps4) drove me off. Hard breakup.

Nioh. Definitely Nioh. I loved it when it came out and played through the entire game, but once they started releasing the expansions, they started making the new content too difficult to really be fun.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
GTA V.

Was insanely hyped for it and kept up to date with all info related to it. Played 17 hours straight as soon as I got home on launch day. Completed the campaign twice in the first week. Bought it again for PS4 and built a PC to play it.

I don't care for it anymore in the slightest. Fair enough I've did 5 playthroughs so I've got tired of it. There is nothing new to see or do. What has put me off is Rockstars complete focus on Online. I did play Online for quite a bit with friends but I don't find it fun to play anymore. I had hoped they'd add DLC for single player but nope they aren't interested so I guess I'm done with it.

I used to say GTA was my all time favourite game series but not anymore. Rockstar have ruined it for me by completely ignoring single player. I have a feeling they'll do the same with RDR2. I'm not gonna lie I will still play RDR2 and even GTA VI, if they even bother doing an single player story for it, but I won't be giving them my money. I'll be buying them on just the one platform and they'll be used second hand copies and i'll trade them in when I'm done.

Rockstar got real greedy. They made billions of $ from GTA V. At least a billion $ before GTA Online even launched! They were definitely planning on SP DLC but as soon as they realised how much they were making because of shark cards they just totally ditched it. Now I don't mind multiplayer mode because like I said I played it quite a bit but for me GTA was all about offline for me so if Rockstar aren't interested in that part of the game any more then I'm done.

Azzanadra

Bioshock Infinite, when I first finished that game, I thought that shit was amazing. Like 10/10 GOATG amazing. It was only after the first few playthroughs I saw the flaws for what they were and I realized my own idealized perception of the game is what made me like it so much, not necessarily the final product itself.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Didn't expect to see so many Botw mentions. Yikes. Tho I did say that, in time, it won't be as highly thought of as it was at release ;)

It's by no means the be all end all game of a lifetime it was made out to be. For me proper dungeons are more important then climbing rocks. But a sequel with Zelda style proper dungeons? Oh baby!

Prey. I loved it (mostly) through the first 90% of the game. The last couple of hours it was like they decided "this game needs to be a couple of hours longer" and put in a bunch of backtracking and fetch missions and didn't bother to quality test it. So the game is a buggy mess getting to the end. Which is a shame because of the rest of the game is pretty good.

Joe T.

Hate's too strong a word, but Breath of the Wild has lost all its appeal to me after exploring the world and completing the campaign. I don't have any interest whatsoever in playing through it a second time or even to wander around finding all 900 Korok Seeds, which I wish I could say was a ridiculously exaggerated number.

AwShucks

Off topic, at first glance I though this topic was about diabetes.

On topic, I liked Disgaea 3 until it presented me with a brick wall. I've beat every other game in the series, so that was disappointing.

Sami+

Persona 5 caught me with its style for a few weeks, but I decided to take a break from it when I hit like 35 hours and the story was still just barely getting moving. More I look back on it the more I start to hate it. Can't think of anything I like about it more than P4 aside from the graphics tbh, and even those don't look very good.

LurkingFear

Destiny, by far.

Everything is great about the game... atmosphere, immersion, graphics, gameplay.

But there are always exceptions, and what killed it for me was the realization that I (we) was farming loot, raiding for hours, etc... all just to acquire better gear, just to kill Sepiks Prime in the same bounty over and over, but even faster. (This was the most efficient use of time to obtain the currency/XP to further that agenda even more)

Once I came to that conclusion, I logged off, never to play again.

Lets hope Bungie has solved that problem in D2.

Oh, also the PvP experience was boring.

Thought this would be MGS V the thread

So many people loved act 1 only to start hate it on act 2.

I loved the game considered it to be GOAT material but all the bloat mother base and long wait for helicopter rides just made me "hate" the game. I need to come back to it o e day but all I can think of is mother base and the rides. Once you get to play a mission, yep loving it

AwShucks

Persona 5 caught me with its style for a few weeks, but I decided to take a break from it when I hit like 35 hours and the story was still just barely getting moving. More I look back on it the more I start to hate it. Can't think of anything I like about it more than P4 aside from the graphics tbh, and even those don't look very good.

P5 looks amazing and has a few great characters but I find P3 and P4 much superior overall.

Dre3001

For me I will say Destiny, At first I loved the game but it got extremely repetitive just grinding all the time for better gear. Then when you finally maxed out on equipment and your character, the DLC would release, raising the levels in the game and basically asked you to grind even more.

Just rinse and repeat with little variety in between.

Indelible

The only one that comes to mind is Fire Emblem Fates, loved it at the start but the terrible story killed any desire I have to finish it.

Fuchsdh

This is basically my experience of all recent ND games. Visually stunning, well written, but the gameplay is sooo bad in comparison. You might as well watch someone else play and you'll get the same experience.

Not that I don't necessarily disagree with the Uncharted games, but I feel like this is an overarching philosophical divide between people who want or are fine with their games being experiences, versus people who believe games should be sharply divided from non-interactive forms of entertainment.

Well...I definitely don't consider myself to hate the games I'm about to list...but there's no denying that for me, they lost the impact they once had on me, especially when I played them as a child

-Sonic 3 and Knuckles/Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles (the PC versions from Sonic and Knuckles collection, with FM Synthesizer soundtracks for each):

Used to be the EPITOME of my childhood...so many memories with it. Delighted with the gameplay and music. Finding secrets and secret paths in the levels. Knuckles' tricks and tactics to mess around with Sonic and Tails kept me guessing and invested in the adventure. Collecting all the Chaos Emeralds and/or Super Emeralds kept me guessing what would happen if I collected all of them. I could go on and on...but the point I'm trying to make is that when I play it these days, as much as it pains me to admit, I just don't have that much fun with it anymore...and many of the things I mentioned previously just don't capture my attention the same way anymore :[

-Megaman/Rockman X4:

The case for this one's pretty similar to my issues with Sonic 3 and Knuckles/Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles (the PC versions from Sonic and Knuckles collection, with FM Synthesizer soundtracks for each)...I just don't find the Mavericks that fun to fight anymore. I know the vast majority of the levels pretty much from the inside out. I think I mastered the gameplay for both X and Zero...I don't find the cutscenes as memorable as I once did. It's pretty sad for it to come down to this imo :[

For both of these games...perhaps it's best for me to give them a break for several years and then return to them...perhaps that way, I can be sort of dazzled by them once again...kind of similar to the good ol' days of my childhood for the most part

Remeard

I don't understand the "honeymoon period" as a concept.

Are you saying that after your honeymoon you hate your wife?

Anyways, if said honeymoon period applied to games mean I hate a game I once loved even after I finished it, then there's no such thing. I've played games that the more I played the more I disliked them despite having a favorable first impression like Eternal Sonata, though.

It's more referring to the excitement and novelty of a new thing wearing off and what it's like once you realize that. So say you have a cat that talks and for all intents and purposes has the personality of a regular person. Nothing special, no thought provoking things, no real mystery. First thought? Oh shit! It's a cat that talks! But after a while, it becomes normalized, there's no crazy excitement of that cat talking that you once had.

Opa-Pa

I think this has only ever happened to me with Bioshock 1 and Infinite, and TLOU, and probably because they were story driven games where the plot distracted me from how shallow/okay the rest of the games were.

In TLOU's case, I still like it and think it's a good game, just not top 10 ever material. The Bioshock games though I genuinely dislike and I'm baffled that I ever thought of them as incredible.

But yeah this doesn't happen anymore, let alone with this year's darlings. I think P5 and especially BoTW are still as great as ever.

Disgaea is probably the best example I can think of this.

The progression basically went: Enjoying it -> Convincing myself I was enjoying it as I played even though I really wasn't -> Admitting I didn't like it and giving up

night814

Pokemon X, I played it and really enjoyed it when it first came out. Recently replayed it and I couldn't stand anything about it.

GonzoCR

GTA V for me I think. Liked it when I first played it, then I replayed it a few months later. The controls are terrible, none of the characters are likeable or even entertaining, the "humor" is all "lol Americans are dumb" which I stopped finding funny in 3rd grade, I don't know, just had a terrible time with it.

It's still a fun enough game, I guess, for just causing mayhem, but my opinion of it was drastically lowered by that second playthrough.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Assassin's Creed IV.
Loved it the first time through with the ship building and everything. Recently tried playing Rogue and just couldn't. I realized that I don't ever want to upgrade my ship again after already doing it in Black Flag and it killed my drive to play. (Well, that and the awful PS3 performance). The thought of replaying IV just disgusts me now. I'll force myself through Rogue eventually still though.

Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I loved it on release. Got the Platinum and all. Now, the more time passes, the more I realize its shortcomings and limitations. The story wasn't that great, the combat was just serviceable (the melee is terrible, but that's something I knew even back then), the world is pretty but deeply uninteresting.

I still like the game. I just don't think it is this ground-breaking, game-changing masterpiece that sets the bar for all open-world games that some people argue it is. It's just OK.

Couldn't agree more, but I was never at the point where I loved the game so my answer is Persona 5.

I really liked the game at first because of it's style, music and improved dungeons, but as I got deeper into the game I started to realize that I didn't really like any of the characters besides Mona and the story wasn't that great.

Even though the music was good, the game mainly used the same couple tracks over and over. The dungeons were better, but when it comes down to it, I'm not really a big fan of the combat system so what does it matter. Finally, this game goes on for far too long. Persona 3&4 were just the right length, this game is chock-full of filler.

I don't hate Breath of the Wild but it is MASSIVELY overrated. It's probably going to win Game of the Year here for no good reason other than it's a Zelda game and people love Zelda games.

To be clear, I don't think Persona 5 deserves to win GotY either.

Top Bottom