• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SDCC Middle-Earth: Shadow of War trailer

luulubuu

There are 2 unique rings now
HWBcDAT.png

with different colours
HWBcDAT.png

Good is blue, red is bad
HWBcDAT.png

Talion's ring isn't really good.

Yeah, what's been shown of the game thus far has really leaned into the idea that Talion and Celebrimbor are basically becoming the prime example of what was meant in the original books when people said you couldn't use the One Ring against Sauron. If the devs actually commit to that, I'll be impressed.

JCHandsom

No thanks, already have my spider waifu

quelaag.jpg

Yeah, what's been shown of the game thus far has really leaned into the idea that Talion and Celebrimbor are basically becoming the prime example of what was meant in the original books when people said you couldn't use the One Ring against Sauron. If the devs actually commit to that, I'll be impressed.

My hope is that the games go full alternate universe and have Talion/Celebrimbor defeat Sauron only to turn their new armies towards the rest of Middle Earth, effectively proving Tolkein's point about power and good intentions.

Mifec

Yeah, what's been show of the game thus far has really leaned into the idea that Talion and Celebrimbor are basically becoming the prime example of what was meant in the original books when people said you couldn't use the One Ring against Sauron. If the devs actually commit to that, I'll be impressed.
It's also implied in the story trailer when that woman tells him not to be corrupted by it and he Talion replies: In time perhaps, but I will do what is needed.

As for Brimby don't open if you do not want to know non trailer stuff

Michael de Plater says he starts getting more unhinged/mad with power.

It's also implied in the story trailer when that woman tells him not to be corrupted by it and he Talion replies: In time perhaps, but I will do what is needed.

As for Brimby don't open if you do not want to know non trailer stuff

Michael de Plater says he starts getting more unhinged/mad with power.

Well, regarding the spoilers, it's rather obvious from stuff like
him demanding to have Galadriel's ring
. It makes me wonder if this was always the plan as such, or something they considered in light of the discussion around the first game's ending and how well it fit Tolkien's themes (since more than a few felt that it was the cap on the game glorifying violence as a means of combating evil).

My hope is that the games go full alternate universe and have Talion/Celebrimbor defeat Sauron only to turn their new armies towards the rest of Middle Earth, effectively proving Tolkein's point about power and good intentions.

That would be a pretty cool trilogy ender. The battle of Minas Tirith reversed. Just call it "Shadow of Middle Earth".

JCHandsom

That would be a pretty cool trilogy ender. The battle of Minas Tirith reversed. Just call it "Shadow of Middle Earth".

I want this series to do a full dive into edgy fanfiction, like the Force Unleashed DLCs. Wraith beatdown combos on Gandalf, stealth infiltrating Rivendell, riding a Warg through the Shire, all of it!

Wait, when did Shelob ever have the power to turn into a human? Wasn't she always a spider?

As Mifec said, we're in full fanfic mode. Potentially thematically appropriate fanfic, but fanfic all the same. They're already screwing with the timeline, and nothing explicitly said she couldn't take humanoid form (hell, her mother is an abomination from not even God knows where - literally).

Mifec

Well, regarding the spoilers, it's rather obvious from stuff like
him demanding to have Galadriel's ring
. It makes me wonder if this was always the plan as such, or something they considered in light of the discussion around the first game's ending and how well it fit Tolkien's themes (since more than a few felt that it was the cap on the game glorifying violence as a means of combating evil).

I have a feeling it's gonna end with
Talion sacrificing himself to end brimby and the ring

I have a feeling it's gonna end with
Talion sacrificing himself to end brimby and the ring

Could work. Would be a nice arc of sorts for Talion go from being the tool for Celebrimbor's revenge, to
denying him so as to not substitute one evil for another
. I really am interested to see where this game goes.

gattsu

Oooooh yeah I would love to see it move in the direction of
Talion "becomes" the new Sauron, literally, taking his name as a title to lead the war of the ring, and the distant Sauron we know from the books is actually Talion, corrupted by the darkness he's falling into

As said before, could also open up some awesome sequels.

I don't know why I would be upset/surprised at all about this being non cannon after the first game...

I'm basically treating this like I do all the thousands of non cannon/alternate timeline comics that I've read and loved in the past where really cool perspectives or situations occur.

JCHandsom

The thing I'm worried about is that they are going to try and contrive reasons why everything Talion/Celebrimbor does in these games was either pointless or undone in order to tie back into canon. Setting this entirely in an alternate story would let them fly their freak flag high without worry.

Zoon

I'm currently playing the bright lord dlc and I think it's pretty obvious what's happening. Even Sauron acknowledges it.

Altairre

Once you accept the fact they they are not trying to be a canon story and just go with it, it gets better.

Will be there day 1 on PC.

Agreed. The story in the first one was fucking terrible and by the looks of it they've tried to improve that part in this one. At least it looks like some shit is actually happening. As long as it works as a self contained thing I don't really care about the connection to the canon.

Mifec

My fav thing is the combat difficulty select and combat ability diversity they included. Thanks Destiny(streamer, not game) or making that video about how turrible the combat in 1 was.

Raptor

That was insane!

I love it cant wait.

My fav thing is the combat difficulty select and combat ability diversity they included. Thanks Destiny(streamer, not game) or making that video about how turrible the combat in 1 was.

What video?

This will be the most fun I've had playing fanfiction since that Force Unleashed 2 DLC that had you use Chewbacca's body to block Han Solo's blaster and let you have a lightsaber battle with Leia on Endor.

J_Viper

Have they showed any actual missions yet?

Yeah the Nemesis additions looks great, but if the quest design has all the depth of a GTA3 mission again, I'd be disappointed

Hopeford

Looked cool, but the serious plot was never the strong point of the first game so I'm not too interested in that part.

Now, if Ratbag appeared on the trailer though...

Have they showed any actual missions yet?

Yeah the Nemesis additions looks great, but if the quest design has all the depth of a GTA3 mission again, I'd be disappointed

A few. The most prominent was a stream of a mission revolving around the Forest of Carnan and the... being of the same name that lives inside it.

While she'll probably be a great character in the game, this character being Shelob takes it beyond alternative timeline.

Would've preferred an Elf, differentiating a fallen Elf from orc-kind. Could've played around with plenty there, like the allure of power over crossing the sea and feeling betrayed by that enticement.

I appreciate that they at least arent holding back and going full fan fiction. If it serves the gameplay, I guess I'm down.

But yeah, this is embarassing fanfiction levels of storytelling.

"AND HE HAD HIS OWN RING BUT ITS BLUE CAUSE HE'S A GOOD GUY."
"ALSO SHELOB IS A WOMAN I GUESS CUZ SHE IS IN THE NAME."

jett

D-Member
They turned Shelob into a hot seminaked girl?

lol

They should go full fan fiction and do something crazy like you just completely obliterating Saruman's forces making the Fellowship pointless.

Top Bottom