• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School is still the scariest game to ever exist

SOLDIER

Not sure, that resolution worked fine with me. Did you make any adjustments to the settings? You shouldn't have to touch anything, other than the resolution itself of course.

Nothing that I'm aware of, and I've tried both 1920x1080 16 and 32 versions.

Could you perhaps post screenshots of your settings, to see if I made a mistake somewhere? Are there any settings I need to change in the properties menu of the .exe?

Also notice that in a lower resolution (720) the mouse scrolls much faster. It's significantly slower in 1920x1080.

Persona7

Banned
I get virus warnings from MSE and Comodo every time.

EDIT: Yeah, I read the FAQ. I'll install it on my old laptop and check it out.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does it come off as grimy to anyone else that the link to download the game is through Adfly, for an abandonware title? So instead of the developers getting money for the game, whoever made the post makes money everytime someone clicks the link instead?

Anyone who wants to get to it without the Adfly link, here is the first mirror: http://depositfiles.com/files/epevpegoe

OmegaZero

So, I've started playing this with the most recent patch.
So far, I've found that this game is pretty good at keeping an unsettling atmosphere. I was also surprised to encounter a ghost on Normal mode
right after the cutscene where you meet that girl with glasses who saves you from the janitor

For such an old game, it's held up quite well, but there are several spots where things are awkwardly translated or not translated at all (like finding the compass). Which is understandable given the circumstances of the translation.

As I get farther into the game, I'll post some more impressions.

- J - D -

Does it come off as grimy to anyone else that the link to download the game is through Adfly, for an abandonware title? So instead of the developers getting money for the game, whoever made the post makes money everytime someone clicks the link instead?

Anyone who wants to get to it without the Adfly link, here is the first mirror: http://depositfiles.com/files/epevpegoe

Uh, the person who made the post did all the patching, no? The game was abandoned by its original developers, so it's fair game for the person who's allowing non-Korean gamers to play this should get something for his efforts?

SOLDIER

Okay, fixed my problem. Apparently the game doesn't like if I install it anywhere but the default directory, so I reinstalled it normally and it all works.

Is there a way to bypass the launcher?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

SOLDIER

Great, one problem to another.

The game keeps crashing after the opening cutscene. The FAQ says to skip it with ESC, but doing so still crashes the game. What's more, the save links in the FAQ don't work.

Since Hard and Real aren't options that pop for me either, could someone just link a save right after the cutscene that starts with the Hard difficulty, and also has a resolution of 1920x1080 (in case it specifically needs to be saved in that resolution)?

So, I've started playing this with the most recent patch.
So far, I've found that this game is pretty good at keeping an unsettling atmosphere. I was also surprised to encounter a ghost on Normal mode
right after the cutscene where you meet that girl with glasses who saves you from the janitor

For such an old game, it's held up quite well, but there are several spots where things are awkwardly translated or not translated at all (like finding the compass). Which is understandable given the circumstances of the translation.

As I get farther into the game, I'll post some more impressions.

That spoilered part is where I was like 'fuck it' lol. To make things worse i ran down a dark hallway (with some creepy string music playing), where I knocked over a sign that I couldn't see, causing me to literally jump out from my chair haha.

For some reason, Hard and Real don't show up for me. Anyone else get this issue?

I watched a LP with an English patch, and it looks like Hard and Real or unlocked by collecting eight items (in the form of game boxes) hidden throughout the game on normal.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm playing this game on hard but I can only play for short periods due to time constraints and so far I haven't found a single "pen marker" or whatever you have to pick up to save the game. Is there a list on the net for the location of these pick ups?

lol, I think this just glitched the hell out on me. I enter a classroom and I get like lifted up or something, then I'm brought to the window and a big red splotch appears on the screen. I think a ghost picked me and threw me out the window, but then I'm in like a mountain or something and the game starts stuttering like crazy while rain drop sporadically then freezes and disappears. I could look around with significant framerate drops, but not move as some tapping noise sounded nonstop. Eventually heard the jingling of the janitor's keys. Couldn't do anything, so I just quit.

SHarris78

okay, fuck this shit. Gonna play tomorrow afternoon in the light before i have a heart attack!!!

Playing on hard to get more creepyness, only an hour in and seen a couple of spirits and been chased by the janitor, man hes quick.

Whenever I here the the jangle of keys or that odd scratching sound........(shudders).

Great recommendation OP !

UnnamedGS

Neo Member
Hello everyone, I finally managed to get on this forum!

Just leaving a post here in-case anyone runs into any problems setting this up; I'm here to help :)

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

SOLDIER

Hello everyone, I finally managed to get on this forum!

Just leaving a post here in-case anyone runs into any problems setting this up; I'm here to help :)

If you could help me with my problems listed above, that would be great. I simply could not get this game working properly, so I gave up.

UnnamedGS

Neo Member
If you could help me with my problems listed above, that would be great. I simply could not get this game working properly, so I gave up.

Sure :)

First, make sure you're using the latest version of White Day, v15.3: Download. If you're using v14 or higher, then you can use this updater to update (instead of downloading the whole game again): Download

It will say "v 1.21" in the bottom left hand corner of White Day's main menu if you have a version under v14. You will need to download the full game again.

If updating didn't do the trick, or you had already updated, the FAQ has also been updated (as well as the links on it) here: View. Your problem should be listed there. It's still the opening cut scene crash, right?

kunonabi

Nice to hear this has save points as that was one of my major gripes with amnesia. When you pick up items is it still as silly as amnesia? I hated how things would just float in front of you.

Philia

First, make sure you're using the latest version of White Day, v15.3: Download. If you're using v14 or higher, then you can use this updater to update (instead of downloading the whole game again): Download

It will say "v 1.21" in the bottom left hand corner of White Day's main menu if you have a version under v14. You will need to download the full game again.

If updating didn't do the trick, or you had already updated, the FAQ has also been updated (as well as the links on it) here: View. Your problem should be listed there. It's still the opening cut scene crash, right?

Thank you so much for the link to the d/l. I'm playing this now.

Do correct answers are answered in red or no?

EDIT: NVM, saw someone else's similar question. Didn't realize there's a blue highlight. I take it it'd be a good side.

UnnamedGS

Neo Member
Nice to hear this has save points as that was one of my major gripes with amnesia. When you pick up items is it still as silly as amnesia? I hated how things would just float in front of you.

Well White Day hasn't exactly got the best physics in the world haha (and by that I mean they're complete garbage compared to a game like Amnesia), so there's no chance really you could even implement a feature like that in the current engine it's running.

The furthest I ever saw it go physics wise was when the mirror smashed in the Dance Hall and a few little shards oddly sprung off of it, rolled on the floor, and abruptly disintegrated. Actually not bad for a first person game made in 2001.

But it's primarily how far ahead in the horror genre of gaming it was at the time that makes it the hidden gem it is today :)

Sorry for the bump but does anyone have any recommend playthoughs of this on hard mode with the english patch? Dusk Golem had a great one going but he stops after the first 50 minute part unfortunately. Don't have the will to get through it myself :D

I've downloaded the game in the link above. Installed the game fine. Then when I click on the shortcut to launch the game, I get asked to install something called "AppLocale", with many options in different languages. What do I do ? Which one do I choose ? I really want to play this game.

Dusk Golem

Oublieux

Giving this a bump a year later as I still think this game is the scariest I've personally played for my taste of fear, and it has had recent updates to be more stable from Nameless Studios.

I found this thread a long time ago and installed this game for myself.

It is freaky. As. Fuck. That's all I've got to say. It looks dated, but the game is definitely extremely tense at times. Apparently, in Korea, people who had bought the game actually asked for various difficulty levels because they just could not deal with the scare factor. I chalk it up a lot to the sound. That music is absolutely haunting and some of the ambient noises are really nerve wracking.

I'd recommend anyone to give this a shot... really worth it to check it out at least once.

Dascu

Stumbling over a bucket in the dark
is still one the scariest moments I've ever had in a horror game.

After going through hell to get the game to work (including having to use a save to get past the intro), it randomly crashed about 30 minutes in while I was just walking around. I can see this happening a lot, and with limited saves I'm not exactly inclined to persevere with it. For what it's worth, I was using the latest patch.

Korten

Banned
Just found this topic today after the poster above me revived it... Got to say... This game doesn't look amazing but I am fucking horrified at this. D: I found Amnesia to be scary but not very so. This though? The fact that I don't know if something is going to popup and attack is terrible. D:

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Dusk I'm actually watching your vids of this right now lol! Like what I've seen so far, I think it might even look better than Amnesia. Also cool considering it came out before Silent Hill 2, I didn't think methodical first-person games like this were much of a thing at the time.

I like the idea of hiding from a crazy guy while ghosts are breathing down your neck at the same time, makes a really tense situation.

EDIT: Wow had no idea there was a mobile version now! Hoping that gets a Steam release one day!

Yes, this is the remake and it would also come out on PSVR and PC according to the initial announcement.

YES!!! Sorry Dusk I mite have to skip your vids for a lil bit :[

Interesting.

Was this version known to be in development? Apologize for the ignorance, but for me this is out of the blue. I recall talk of a remake, but nothing about a mobile version. Maybe this is the remake and I need to pay better attention to things.

Yes, this is the remake and it would also come out on PSVR and PC according to the initial announcement.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This game is available on IOS in english so there is really no excuse to be pirating it. Just saying. It's 4 dollars.

That's the remake that was just released, not the original, which is what this topic was initially about, as the OP was written in 2012. Until now, there's been almost no possible way to legally own the game. At that - the original may be a very different experience from the remake, so it's safe to say one would be fine downloading the original if they wanted to see how it was.

Top Bottom