• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School is still the scariest game to ever exist

hao chi

I might give this a try, but if I do I'll probably play on very easy or easy the first time.

I'm watching a let's play of this because I have no balls.

Hopefully you aren't watching the let's play I watched a few months ago. The guy playing just spent the entire time purposefully getting the janitor to chase him around instead of hiding.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dascu

Haven't seen any spirits yet that have been able to harm me. I should definitely do a replay on a higher difficulty later.

Poyunch

Well I'm a huge pansy when it comes to horror games. I don't want to play but this seems up my alley. I'll go ahead and download it at least.

hamchan

Hopefully you aren't watching the let's play I watched a few months ago. The guy playing just spent the entire time purposefully getting the janitor to chase him around instead of hiding.

I'm watching Cry Plays on youtube.

He still hides a lot but it seems the janitor isn't too hard to juke around.

hiro4

I remember playing the demo back in the day.
I booted up the game, took three steps in to the school and suddenly all the Japanese school ghost stories came in to my mind and I just said: Nope! and turned it off :D

I did try the game multiple times but never spend more then a half hour playing it before completely chickening out.

hao chi

I'm watching Cry Plays on youtube.

He still hides a lot but it seems the janitor isn't too hard to juke around.

Good, that's someone else. The guy I was watching didn't have an English patch and wasn't talking over the video. He also pretty much just sprinted around the school quickly collecting stuff/going to his next destination while the janitor was right behind him.

People were raging at him in the comments quite a bit because of that.

Scott667

I'm intrigued but also really terrified of actually playing horror games. I've tried watching Let's Plays but most that I can find are on easy or normal, does anyone have a link to a hard-mode LP?

also

Banned
Every time I try to start the game it crashes. I get the standard ''___ has encountered a problem and needs to close'' message.
I tried going under ''DEVICE SETTING'' but all I get is pop up in Korean that disappears after I click OK and I'm still on the main menu.

Eidan

Billion dollar a year horror movie industry would like a word with you.

As others have said, games tend to be scarier than films because of the interactive aspect of it, and the fact that people typically play these kind of games alone, as opposed to movies, which are often watched in groups. I also feel that games that are considered the scariest (Silent Hill, Siren, etc.) have never reached the level of success of something like a Resident Evil, which most agree is a less dread inducing, scary series.

Also, horror films on average are low-grossing. With the exception of The Exorcist and Jaws, no horror film has reached true blockbuster status

Dascu

Alright, finished it (on Easy) and got the Hyacinth ending, which didn't strike me as being particularly good. Maybe a replay on Hard mode is in order...

All in all, I enjoyed it and I'm very happy to have played this exotic and unknown little survival-horror game. In many ways, the design is somewhat archaic and old-school: Only a limited amount of save items, lots of going back and forth, finding notes and solving some very odd puzzles. The visuals are often dated, and they lack the artistry and polish of other entries in the genre. The sound design too isn't quite as amazing. But for a low-budget title way back from 2000? Amazing work. This is one game that truly succeeds at the concept of not being safe anywhere. Even Amnesia: The Dark Descent could not realize that. This is a game that manages to keep you on your toes all the time, constantly being cautious and full of fear of what might be behind the next corner or inside the next room. It helps that the game does not outlast its welcome, and keeps adding in new elements and variation to the gameplay, by introducing the player to new areas (of which the level design actually changes how you approach things), new ghosts and other scares.

White Day is crude, it's dated and often ugly. But it is far more effective at fear and true to the principles of survival-horror than many, many other games in this already niche genre.

Every time I try to start the game it crashes. I get the standard ''___ has encountered a problem and needs to close'' message.
I tried going under ''DEVICE SETTING'' but all I get is pop up in Korean that disappears after I click OK and I'm still on the main menu.

Try reinstalling, take a look at the FAQ on the site, retry starting the game a couple of times.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Jackpot

Banned

Don't use the shortcut, use the exe with Start in it.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Sigh. Sometimes I hate having a 64 bit xp. Oh well. It crashes after I click launch in the little launch box with the advanced shadow checkbox.

demidar

What you need to remember is that playing a horror game and watching a horror game are very different.

My encounters with the janitor, the main enemy so far, maybe make up like 5% of my playtime. That's practically nothing. So if someone would see me play, he'd only see me wander through dark hallways with crude visuals, and only very rarely something that is threatening to the player. Of course that wouldn't look scary. But as the janitor's AI and appearance is highly randomized, and because he can pop up and chase you everywhere, he can be extremely terrifying.

That's the beauty of the enemy design in games like this one, Frictional's output or the Clock Tower franchise: The enemy could be everywhere and therefore in the mind of the player he is everywhere, potentially lurking behind each corner. The result is that although there's only 5% of actual "combat" with this enemy, there is 95% of being worried about it. They're Shrödinger's Enemies; Everywhere and nowhere, so you play in a state of tension and fear.

"I love horror games. What do you mean play them? Games aren't made for playing silly!"

Went to the creator of the patch and told him my issues. He said he is making another that should fix our problems on not being able to launch the game. Didn't give any date or anything but I hope I can play it by the weekend.

question for someone who played through area 1 of the school. includes spoilers though:

are there any markers / save boards in the first section of the school on hard?

i died by way of janitor beating right after getting rid of that tree monster that spanned two floors of classrooms.

id really like to save a little more often than never.

- J - D -

I stumbled into this thread today and was hooked by Golem's nice op. However, the download links have been taken down. Seems the game is being updated. Eager to try it when it's finished.

So to people that have played all 3: How do Amnesia and Slender compare to this? I'm planning on playing Slender tomorrow then moving onto Amnesia after. Might play this eventually if I can get my hands on it.

Kenai

I am very impressed that this game manages to retain the spooky atmosphere it does, especially considering how old it is. Half of the time it's not actually doing anything yet, but that sense of foreboding I get is top-notch.

I don't like a lot of horror games because they either try to "jump scare" me, or gross me out. Even the better ones usually allow you to defend yourself somehow. Actually, I don't particularly like being scared at all but this game is good. Real good.

I'm not sure if I'll ever have the guts to finish though. It doesn't help that I really seem to suck at applying translation patches. Treasures of Rudra goes unplayed also because of my failure. :(

Jawmuncher

What you need to remember is that playing a horror game and watching a horror game are very different.

My encounters with the janitor, the main enemy so far, maybe make up like 5% of my playtime. That's practically nothing. So if someone would see me play, he'd only see me wander through dark hallways with crude visuals, and only very rarely something that is threatening to the player. Of course that wouldn't look scary. But as the janitor's AI and appearance is highly randomized, and because he can pop up and chase you everywhere, he can be extremely terrifying.

That's the beauty of the enemy design in games like this one, Frictional's output or the Clock Tower franchise: The enemy could be everywhere and therefore in the mind of the player he is everywhere, potentially lurking behind each corner. The result is that although there's only 5% of actual "combat" with this enemy, there is 95% of being worried about it. They're Shrödinger's Enemies; Everywhere and nowhere, so you play in a state of tension and fear.

So true.

Dascu

So to people that have played all 3: How do Amnesia and Slender compare to this? I'm planning on playing Slender tomorrow then moving onto Amnesia after. Might play this eventually if I can get my hands on it.

This is like an older, Asian version of Amnesia (or Penumbra). It's less polished, less pretty and is a bit more standard in its design, with save points and healing items for instance. The enemies also do not kill you in one hit (maybe they do on the highest difficulty), but they're also more threatening in that there's much less safe zones. Amnesia still had a good bit of locations where you pretty much knew you were in the clear. Especially on a replay. I would say: If you liked Amnesia/Penumbra and their approach to survival-horror gameplay, then you'll probably like this too.

I've not really checked out Slender (aren't there like a dozen of those?). Something like SCP: Containment Breach seems like a better alternative to that, by the way.

Jackpot

Banned
So far the only thing that's scared me is the babbie. But I'm still enjoying it, it's a real hidden gem.

The sound that sounds like sharpening blade/tearing paper is an area of effect monster. Stay in the area where the sound is playing and a face will become more and more visible until it injures you.

Janitor's kinda annoying imo, stops me from my exploration.

How do you get the passcode to the Principal's office? I'm guessing it's the untranslated blackboard?

Is there nowhere else you can download this game? The link in the site has been down all week.

I got it through 12.4 and then 12.4>13 in ,,old patches'', these links still work unlike the latest thing on the page.

Game doesn't work for me however. Error in moon language on [DX 8] and ,,White Day has stopped working'' on [DX 7]. Plus, virus alerts. Tried some other files from the FAQ which didn't help and I don't feel like trying to get this running desperately atm. Seems like they release patches on a regular note, so I'll just come back later I guess...

Dusk Golem

SOLDIER

Well right from the bat I have two technical questions:

1. Is there a way to get fullscreen with 1920x1080? I enabled this and got black bars on all four corners, only filling up about half the screen.

2. Is there a way to enable hardware mouse? The in-game mouse is rather finicky.

Also had a glitch where there was a cat suspended in mid-air. It meowed when I clicked it. Pretty sure this wasn't intentional.

Mzo

Started it up, got to a room where I started to hear paper ripping.

It was 3:00pm but I have very thick shades. My room is pitch black and after what I saw, I turned the game off and opened the blinds.

I didn't save so I have to do the intro again D=

I saw a playthrough, guy was awful at the game a whole two 15 minute vids were him finding out what to do. The English patch was awful too, could hardly understand the text. I could tell the game was decent though.

SOLDIER

Again, the game won't fill up my entire monitor at 1920x1080. Is there a way to fix this, or will I have to settle for a lower resolution? If so, which resolution should fill up the whole monitor?

Dusk Golem

Dascu

Again, the game won't fill up my entire monitor at 1920x1080. Is there a way to fix this, or will I have to settle for a lower resolution? If so, which resolution should fill up the whole monitor?

Not sure, that resolution worked fine with me. Did you make any adjustments to the settings? You shouldn't have to touch anything, other than the resolution itself of course.

It's fun but the game wont save for me. Ended up getting killed and could not load my save up, any suggestions?
What do you mean? You grab a pen, and then click the notepad to save. Do you get an error trying to save? The save file just doesn't show up when you try to load it? You could try using the Cheat mode (check the site), as that gives you a save everywhere option by pressing 5. But, it's also much buggier and probably not fully playable like that.

Jackpot

Banned
The keycard area is irritating me as the ceiling ghosts are bugged and make you clip through the world if they get you.

kuroshiki

Uh. This game didn't do really well for me at all. If you played Amnesia, there is no reason why you should play this.

BTW I thought this was Korean only game?

∀ Narayan;42520711 said:
I'm going to check this out. No way is this shit more frightening than System Shock 2.

Trust me. It's not.

Dusk Golem

Top Bottom