• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryHSH

fOzDP.jpg

I use Fences Pro, it's very useful for managing desktop icons. There's also a free version that does almost everything the pro version does.

bdrob

Just managed to get a pre-order in for the collectors edition with Shop-To (UK).

Never pre-ordered anything with them before and it says I don't have to 'check out' yet as the order is not confirmed until the item is dispatched ... for some reason this makes me nervous, I want to give them my money now and confirm it damnit!

Been chasing this for a while, really hope it goes through!

Tripwood

Actually, now whenever I see Leah I remember this crazy GAF poster Valnen...

As for new avatars, thought of changing mine as well, but my love for the Stonefang Tunnels is too strong still.

Edit: Fan-art female Witch Doctor is too amazing not to use her.

Thank you for that that fan-art, it makes for a wonderful background, and with my first character being female WD it couldn't be more appropriate :D

ihWeyMoaQz9BU.png

HenryHSH

I'm going to try for "Spiderman"

But I'm sure it will be taken within .001 seconds after the server comes up.

I'm pretty sure you can pick any name you want.

Do character names even show up anywhere beyond the login screen? I thought the party names were battleIDs.

I read a blue post that it will be changed to show Character name instead of Battletag during gameplay. I'll try finding it.

Edit: http://d3db.com/blue/thread/4175360512/us

Artanisix

They said they changed it to where you see your character's name, not your battleID when ingame

I've been thinking about trying this out as I have never played a Diablo game before. How accessible will this be for new players?

VERY accessible. Tutorial integrated into the beginning and everything. Game is mechanically easy. The difficulty comes from strategy and loot progression.

Lanbeast

I'm going to try for "Spiderman"

But I'm sure it will be taken within .001 seconds after the server comes up.

If I remember correctly, you will be able to pick any name at any time. If we both made Spiderman, the difference would be our battletag. I'd be #3561-Spiderman, you'd be #4053-Spiderman, or whatever.

I might be wrong, though.

VERY accessible. Tutorial integrated into the beginning and everything. Game is mechanically easy. The difficulty comes from strategy and loot progression.

Awesome, thanks. I think I'm just getting up in the hype but I've really been wanting to try this out for the past few days, I think I'll buy it when it comes out.

If I remember correctly, you will be able to pick any name at any time. If we both made Spiderman, the difference would be our battletag. I'd be #3561-Spiderman, you'd be #4053-Spiderman, or whatever.

I might be wrong, though.

Yes, I think Blizzard said that you can name your character whatever you want (within reason), and I think they *also* said character names will show instead of BattleTags in the retail release. I might have dreamed that though.

There probably wouldn't be any alteration to character names necessary except maybe in the same game, and even then it's possible it is allowed (as BattleTags are the real identifier to the system), and you'll just have to argue amongst yourselves about someone changing their name to avoid confusion.

I've been thinking about trying this out as I have never played a Diablo game before. How accessible will this be for new players?

It also helps to know someone who knows their way around Sanctuary!

but yeah, it's never been easier because no there's no stat points or the need to restart because you got the wrong skills :)
Go for it.

HenryHSH

I think he should solo his first run at his own pace. Playing with someone that is familiar with diablo will just turn him off from the game.

Battletags are differentiated by the numbers - you can make any name you want, and it will be different from anyone else who chooses the same name due to the numerical suffix. Note that Battletags are more like an XBL Gamertag though - it's not your character name.

Individual character names can be whatever, with no restriction due to other people using the same name. You can't be locked out of naming a Wizard "Gandalf" for example, even if 1,000 other people made the same choice. There's just the typical obscenity filter on those, along with a few other things like not having numbers (I think) or spaces.

It also helps to know someone who knows their way around Sanctuary!

but yeah, it's never been easier because no there's no stat points or the need to restart because you got the wrong skills :)
Go for it.

Sanctuary?

I think he should solo his first run at his own pace. Playing with someone that is familiar with diablo will just turn him off from the game.

I usually solo then co op but noted. I figured Diablo was all about co op and loot though? I'm curious as to what could turn me or new players off if they dove right into playing with other players.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sanctuary?

I usually solo then co op but noted. I figured Diablo was all about co op and loot though? I'm curious as to what could turn me or new players off if they dove right into playing with other players.

Players familiar with the game might go too quickly or not allow other players time to read the story.

Raide

Sanctuary?

The World of Diablo!

Solo either through Normal or until you feel comfortable with how the game mechanics work. You could get turned off by players who just run through the game and not letting you get a hang of how things work. For most peoples first run, they want to hear the story going on.

LordCanti

Good luck seeing any cutscenes in a public game, unless everyone has agreed to watch them prior to beginning.

For what it's worth, if I get matched up with anyone that wants to watch, I'll be fine with it. I'd be just as fine with not watching them though (and maybe watching them on Youtube when the servers inevitably buckle).

Edit: Argghhh, I missed my chance to buy a collectors edition on Amazon and flip it. Why wasn't I watching SD earlier.

Number45

I've recently watched both the Force Strategy synopsis and ZealousD's (thanks for that by the way, gave me a real hankering to play both games fully) selection, is the Book Of Cain really a full story including both of the previous games?

So how many Witch Doctors are going to end up being named 'PapaShango'. I'm going to guess -- all of them.
Mama Odie.

Players familiar with the game might go too quickly or not allow other players time to read the story.

The World of Diablo!

Solo either through Normal or until you feel comfortable with how the game mechanics work. You could get turned off by players who just run through the game and not letting you get a hang of how things work. For most peoples first run, they want to hear the story going on.

Gotcha. That makes sense. With any game I play I never dive right into online, I like to grasp the basic concepts first, shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the heads up.

Sober

All my friends are hyped to play it too but I don't think we're all going to be sitting around in the same game together anyway (not all of us have the time) but I guess when you hit Nightmare and higher it'll be the time to group up then.

Plus if you solo normal at your own pace, you can soak up the story/main quest, do things at your own pace and get used to the mechanics.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
All my friends are hyped to play it too but I don't think we're all going to be sitting around in the same game together anyway (not all of us have the time) but I guess when you hit Nightmare and higher it'll be the time to group up then.

Plus if you solo normal at your own pace, you can soak up the story/main quest, do things at your own pace and get used to the mechanics.

Yeah, I intend to solo normal and play the other modes with my brother or with GAF.

I guess it's the feeling of being alone - it's different when you huge a party with you.

btw, I'm thinking of bringing back embarrassing names I created in DiabloII as a kid lol
Ones like XxgimmeyoheadxX.

Audioboxer

Might be a dumb question, but will Diablo 3 be controller friendly by any chance?

Reason I ask is I want this to be the first real PC game my fiancee plays with me, she's only ever had consoles. She loved playing Borderlands Co-op with me, and naturally likes all her loot RPGs (Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim/Sacred 2 ect).

Only playable way is on a laptop for her though (main reason PC games get avoided), and I don't know how friendly Diablo 3 will be with a laptop trackpad. I might be able to set her up with a mouse, but due to room constraints she mostly uses her laptop in bed.

First Diablo game I'm playing, but the open beta was like crack so I can't wait.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God DAMN, the HUD was really small when they first announced it...

vs

q7JPn.png

injurai

Banned
I'm really glad Blizzard delayed D3 as they did. I think it would have filled the void when ever It game out, but we will really be appreciating its long-term life now. And the little details!!! those are always the best.

A bit off topic, but it seems Path of Exile is having an open beta this weekend and just revealed their 6th and final character class.

For anyone who wants to scratch the ARPG itch, you can do much worse than Path of Exile, it's fantastic (and F2P).

How strategically timed, Path of Exile!

anytime I'm in that game, all people discuss in the global chat is D3, so it's also a good place to talk D3 :)

epmode

Audίoboxer;37649097 said:
Might be a dumb question, but will Diablo 3 be controller friendly by any chance?
No controller support, unfortunately. I hope they patch it in when the console version is finalized.

Gritesh

Just wanted to say I got the book of Cain from chapters last one!! I thought it would help with the wait but I just want next week to come sooner!!!

kyubajin

Just wanted to say I got the book of Cain from chapters last one!! I thought it would help with the wait but I just want next week to come sooner!!!
I finished reading through all of it on the same day I got it. The lore for this game is AMAZING. I'm getting the novels next month!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom