• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

B D Joe

Let's be honest - you should be buying your multi-platform games on the X anyway.

My last Microsoft console was a 360 so I'm not sure what to expect from the X . But you're probably right so unless the difference is negligible then it will come down to buying the cheapest version.

Either way it's an exciting time to be a gamer

notacat

Mine sounded like a jet taking off during Horizon. Gonna be ready for it again once the DLC of it is out here soon.

Any correlation on the loudness of the pro and the time they were purchased? Like are the recently made pros just as prone as the first batch?

notacat

Any correlation on the loudness of the pro and the time they were purchased? Like are the recently made pros just as prone as the first batch?

I got one of the first batch, and it seems random who's effected by it even then. Hopefully it's worked out by now, i love the thing besides (boost mode, plus especially the Pro patched stuff!)

I got one of the first batch, and it seems random who's effected by it even then. Hopefully it's worked out by now, i love the thing besides (boost mode, plus especially the Pro patched stuff!)
Really want one since I now have PSVR and want to play it at its best and hopefully reduce some of the annoyances I have with it. Seems like the pro increases the quality enoigh to make this potentially less headache enducing. Hopefully there will be some good holiday deals to jump on.

Jharp

The PS4 is pretty loud too, and the PS3 fat was a fucking jet engine.

It's almost as if Sony should stop putting their insanely hot power supplies inside the fucking system.

Dabanton

My Pro is pretty quiet even when playing stuff like HZD a slight low hum but not really noticeable. But despite being 'weaker' the Xbox One was amazingly quiet, made late night gaming so easy without needing headphones as I could have the TV on low and still hear things.

Traxtech

Really wish people would realise ambient temp and general room airflow plays a bigger role than they realise when it comes to how loud their playstations are.

Gamerman1

Really wish people would realise ambient temp and general room airflow plays a bigger role than they realise when it comes to how loud their playstations are.

This is true but sometimes it does't help with certain ones. Mine sits on a level metallic mesh laptop cooling pad with 5 inches on the sides and the entire back open with an ambient temp of 74-75F. Hovercraft time with some games.

Traxtech

This is true but sometimes it does't help with certain ones. Mine sits on a level metallic mesh laptop cooling pad with 5 inches on the sides and the entire back open with an ambient temp of 74-75F. Hovercraft time with some games.

Oh definitely, there's times where most will start to do preflight checks and get ready to take off but alot of people think their console is loud but sit in a stuffy room with poor airflow. My biggest take off moments are menu related since the uncapped framerates will run the console near max. Also unpatched Furi was incredibly loud even during gameplay lol

knerl

Really wish people like you would stop assuming the rest of us doesn't know this and that it might in some strange world be as simple as the PS4 actually being really poorly built in this department. Don't move away from the real problem please.

knerl

My Pro is pretty quiet even when playing stuff like HZD a slight low hum but not really noticeable. But despite being 'weaker' the Xbox One was amazingly quiet, made late night gaming so easy without needing headphones as I could have the TV on low and still hear things.

Most of the time for me as well. Try Wolfenstein 2 if you can. Will make it scream.
Also. Are you using performance or resolution mode in HZD? The latter will make it work a lot harder.

Okada

My original PS4 was pretty much silent but my Pro is unbearable at times. There's plenty of room for airflow and the ambient temperature definitely isn't an issue.

SenkiDala

Well, everyone is not stupid... Ambient temp here is nice, absolutly not hot, my 2 previous PS4 (OG and C version) were both dead silent, but my pro is very very loud... There's like 10 centimeters on both sides and 20 behind to let it breathe but nope, loud as hell...

Rellik

Oh definitely, there's times where most will start to do preflight checks and get ready to take off but alot of people think their console is loud but sit in a stuffy room with poor airflow. My biggest take off moments are menu related since the uncapped framerates will run the console near max. Also unpatched Furi was incredibly loud even during gameplay lol

A lot of people put their consoles in closed cabinets when you need full airflow all around. You see it on here all the time in the gaming setup thread.

(Edit: Yep like that one above. Horrendous placement for a games console)

But there are many other factors too. My OG PS4 was a jet engine, but my Pro in the exact same spot is pretty much silent.

Chronos24

Im gonna repost something i put here a bit ago. Hope it helps you guys.

The whole point of this very long post is to maybe help solve some of the mysteries we have had on the ps4. I'll start by saying yes, I was one of those guys (keyword WAS dont crucify me) after having ny launch ps4 blast into outer space would exchange their PS4 at Gamestop using their product replacement plan. Also, I was very aware of dust buildup and kept the area the PS4 was placed open and as dust free as possible. More on this later, but i also did extensive research on what how different parts were actually put in different ps4's. So, using Sony I sent that first one in for repair got back an even worse cigarrette smelling one. Sold that one, bought 1100 model from gamestop. Quality was BAD on several units ranging from bad disc drive to bad HDD to yes very loud fan noise. I fell into the "my unit is totally quiet works perfectly fine etc." Plus i think my luck was just shit. Its not like i immediately turned around and exchanged the units within a day or so i gave each one plenty of time. Eventually settled on a unit that was fine and tolerably loud. Then, the 1200 model came out with new internals and supposed quieter fan. Traded for the Destiny Taken King model and struck gold on the first one. It was quiet on everything including the big offenders of the time like TLOU and bloodborne. Super happy. THEN, the Pro hit and I had just got a Samsung Ks8500 4k so i traded for the Pro. Again, struck gold, first unit was quiet on everything including Pro patched games like FF15 and Resident Evil 7 which only made the fan kick up just a little even in VR I'd say 3/10. Non pro patched games were a 1/10 on the noise scale. Story doesnt end though, my pro as of a couple weeks ago went kaput. I suspect more because of a storm that came through over the PS4 power supply going. So, I go and exchange it thinking by now shouldnt be any issues still. Wrong, got one that immediately got very loud and hot. Exchanged that one and got one that I would even argue to say is better than the first.

Now with the story out of the way and back to what I researched with each ps4 i found several differences between each unit I got even though some were of the same model series (1000, 1100, 1200, Pro).

1. Internal hard drives were different. Some models had an HGST hard drive, some had a Samsung Seagate Spinpoint, and some had Toshiba hard drives in them. The Toshiba drive was the one that was DOA.

2. Blu Ray drive noise also differed for some reason. Some units were quiet no matter what disc and some rattled like hell no matter what. I assume it may be how they were mounted.

3. Controllers were even different. Some rumbled much harder than others but I paid the least attention to that.

4. The most important aspect and most widely known issue.. FAN NOISE. This one aspect had a few very distinct differences on noise and behavior. From deeper research i found the maker of the fan differed between Delta and Nidec. If you had a delta fan you most likely heard a sort of whistling varying pitch noise. If you had a Nidec fan you more likely heard just the whoosh of air being expelled from the unit and these fans were generally quieter. Just by listening to how that sound is will pretty much tell you which fan you have in your PS4 and that includes the Pro. The other thing I noticed which ranged from all models was the actual behavior of the fan itself. The "louder" fans seemed to vary in speed greatly depending on load and from one minute to the next go from really loud to quiet. Closing a game would immediately send a very loud fan to dead silent in seconds. Any tech savvy person knows that is bad for chips as they dont cool down immediately like that. The "quieter" fans bahaved completely different. For an initial mayne 30 minutes the fan would vary in speed but only slightly and not dependant on load also not getting near as loud. I attribute this to the nidec fan as well. After maybe 30 minutes the fan would reach a constant speed and never change either higher or lower while playing. Upon quitting out of the game back tp the dashboard, the fan would continue to spin at the same speed for roughly about 5 minutes until it would go at minimum speed. This is how I believe it should behave.

That's from my experience all i know and hope it helps you guys and let me know if anything Ive said here is similar or different to your experiences.

Gradly

My PS4 Pro gets really loud like the fan is at max speed when playing almost any new or heavy games like Horizon, Lost Legacy, Battlefield 1, etc and it’s really annoying to the degree I wish the PS5 comes out soon so I can play current games without much noise (at least this what it shoud be)

Venuspower

Wolfenstein II was the first game where my PRO really became loud from time to time.
But the interesting thing here is: The fans only were loud for maybe 5 or 10 seconds. After that they went back to normal. The strange thing now is: The increase in fan speed happened random. Even when nothing was going on in the game. But on the other side the fan stayed normal in scenes where a lot of action was going on.

IISANDERII

The whole point of this very long post is to maybe help solve some of the mysteries we have had on the ps4. I'll start by saying yes, I was one of those guys (keyword WAS dont crucify me) after having ny launch ps4 blast into outer space would exchange their PS4 at Gamestop using their product replacement plan. Also, I was very aware of dust buildup and kept the area the PS4 was placed open and as dust free as possible. More on this later, but i also did extensive research on what how different parts were actually put in different ps4's. So, using Sony I sent that first one in for repair got back an even worse cigarrette smelling one. Sold that one, bought 1100 model from gamestop. Quality was BAD on several units ranging from bad disc drive to bad HDD to yes very loud fan noise. I fell into the "my unit is totally quiet works perfectly fine etc." Plus i think my luck was just shit. Its not like i immediately turned around and exchanged the units within a day or so i gave each one plenty of time. Eventually settled on a unit that was fine and tolerably loud. Then, the 1200 model came out with new internals and supposed quieter fan. Traded for the Destiny Taken King model and struck gold on the first one. It was quiet on everything including the big offenders of the time like TLOU and bloodborne. Super happy. THEN, the Pro hit and I had just got a Samsung Ks8500 4k so i traded for the Pro. Again, struck gold, first unit was quiet on everything including Pro patched games like FF15 and Resident Evil 7 which only made the fan kick up just a little even in VR I'd say 3/10. Non pro patched games were a 1/10 on the noise scale. Story doesnt end though, my pro as of a couple weeks ago went kaput. I suspect more because of a storm that came through over the PS4 power supply going. So, I go and exchange it thinking by now shouldnt be any issues still. Wrong, got one that immediately got very loud and hot. Exchanged that one and got one that I would even argue to say is better than the first.

Now with the story out of the way and back to what I researched with each ps4 i found several differences between each unit I got even though some were of the same model series (1000, 1100, 1200, Pro).

1. Internal hard drives were different. Some models had an HGST hard drive, some had a Samsung Seagate Spinpoint, and some had Toshiba hard drives in them. The Toshiba drive was the one that was DOA.

2. Blu Ray drive noise also differed for some reason. Some units were quiet no matter what disc and some rattled like hell no matter what. I assume it may be how they were mounted.

3. Controllers were even different. Some rumbled much harder than others but I paid the least attention to that.

4. The most important aspect and most widely known issue.. FAN NOISE. This one aspect had a few very distinct differences on noise and behavior. From deeper research i found the maker of the fan differed between Delta and Nidec. If you had a delta fan you most likely heard a sort of whistling varying pitch noise. If you had a Nidec fan you more likely heard just the whoosh of air being expelled from the unit and these fans were generally quieter. Just by listening to how that sound is will pretty much tell you which fan you have in your PS4 and that includes the Pro. The other thing I noticed which ranged from all models was the actual behavior of the fan itself. The "louder" fans seemed to vary in speed greatly depending on load and from one minute to the next go from really loud to quiet. Closing a game would immediately send a very loud fan to dead silent in seconds. Any tech savvy person knows that is bad for chips as they dont cool down immediately like that. The "quieter" fans bahaved completely different. For an initial mayne 30 minutes the fan would vary in speed but only slightly and not dependant on load also not getting near as loud. I attribute this to the nidec fan as well. After maybe 30 minutes the fan would reach a constant speed and never change either higher or lower while playing. Upon quitting out of the game back tp the dashboard, the fan would continue to spin at the same speed for roughly about 5 minutes until it would go at minimum speed. This is how I believe it should behave.

That's from my experience all i know and hope it helps you guys and let me know if anything Ive said here is similar or different to your experiences.
Wow thanks for the thorough research!

I have a Pro and it stays quiet even during GTS on disc. But could that change and something goes wrong internally, making the fan loud?

Well written.

notacat

Huh, I run my central AC so low I have to wear pants to keep warm, so don't think that's it.

(i'm lying, fuck pants)

phyrlord

Look

I get it... the GPU is doing A LOT of good shit and the games look pretty fucking great

That being said, I truly don't understand how anyone at R&D thought the insane whine-pitch the system CONSTANTLY puts out when playing 60fps content (system is actually silent with 30fps games ala Rise of the Tomb Raider) @ 4k (or downsampled 1080p) would be acceptable..... Let alone for $400

It really is a nice piece kit from an architectural standpoint, but that small ass fan coupled with the poorly ventilated chassis just ends up making the most distinctly annoying sound. Dare I say, it's actually worse than the C-Chassis, due to the fact now fan is constantly alternating it's speeds and therefor, the pitches it's hitting.

I really want to love this system, but i feel like I've had enough and the visual trade-off really isn't worth it when I sit 9-10ft away from the damn thing and all I can hear is it's cooling system. And please don't say, "just turn up the volume or where headsphones"
I got a family and I can't be rocking the house with my small window of gametime at night.

I'm thinking just giving up and getting the PS4Slim :(

Sorry, I had to vent (no pun intended)

EDIT: For refrence, here's another GAFFers PS4Pro that made the exact same noise as mine

ur console's f'ed mate.

Omegashin

Neo Member
What kind of low hum? Can u explain?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
While it looks and runs great on Pro it made me go for the PC version instead.
Will only go for exclusives on PS4 from now on because of this.
And here I thought I'd save space on my PC.....

Your PC is quieter then your pro? Wow.

I dont mind my pros noise, because when it does purr the game music masks it, especially when wearing headphones.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I play 8-10 feet away from my PS4 Pro (white Destiny version) and never hear it other than the initial disc spinning up. I'm sensitive to and familiar with noise levels as someone who's primarily a PC gamer/builder and likes peace and quiet, so there's no other noise in the room other than the music coming from the game.

It's also not in an enclosed space like a shelf, if that matters. Room stays between 72-74 degrees.

Halabane

That has an impact but its also the surroundings the console lives (often on shelf or agains a wall). Mine is quiet. But mine has nothing behind or above it. (I put my hand in back of the console and moved it away from the console till I could not feel it and that was the distance I put it near a wall). If the exhaust is too close the wall then it will not work as efficiently and keep heat in the area which will in turn can end up sending hot air back into the console. Same with something above the console, probably a more common problem for many. The other things is dust. Got to vacuum these things frequently to keep those vents clear. PS3 was the worst offender with those small holes.

Saying all that doesn't mean you don't have an issue in the box. But none of my consoles have been 'jet engines'. I have all the consoles, the switch is amazing cool and for high end stuff the Xbox -s and X have been amazingly quiet. The ps4 Pro is the nosiest but you have to get next to it to hear it.

jpadula

Neo Member
This helps on PS4 fat and PS4Pro (have both):

Rotate our PS4 to provide large space for the back (when coolers are flushing warm air). Even it its loud - after a while it wont be.

It silly but it helps a lot.

Omegashin

Neo Member
for all ppl who have whisper quiet ps4 pro: have u ever noticed a little hummmmm when fan speed is slowing? it's like a vibration sound.

Can confirm airflow is the key

Mine has always been quiet with plenty of airflow

Tried moving it into the cabinet for aesthetics and it became a jet engine

Conclusion: keep the back open!

Traxtech

If anyone wants to know if their PS4 pro is noisy, throw in wolfenstein 2... Holy crap I thought mine was fine until that game haha

Let It Die @ 1440p/60 FPS without proper optimization really pushes the Pro ... and it’s always quiet when it gets proper airflow

Even Nioh’s infamous uncapped blacksmith menu never was a problem

I think people really miscalculate when it comes to placement. I wonder if the X can survive inside a cabinet. Guess find out soon enough...

Traxtech

Let It Die @ 1440p/60 FPS without proper optimization really pushes the Pro ... and it’s always quiet when it gets proper airflow

Even Nioh’s infamous uncapped blacksmith menu never was a problem

I think people really miscalculate when it comes to placement. I wonder if the X can survive inside a cabinet. Guess find out soon enough...

Mine is next to the window ontop of 1cm stand offs on an open table and wolfenstein 2 makes my fan have a spasm

WhiteEagle

Neo Member
I got launch pro and noise is awful.
But frequently in not very demanding scenes...
For example - The journey fifa 18 MENU(!), Start Screen in U4 and ULL, lobbies in COD. My pro have open space, and became loud instantly in this cases.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Can confirm airflow is the key

Mine has always been quiet with plenty of airflow

Tried moving it into the cabinet for aesthetics and it became a jet engine

Conclusion: keep the back open!

This doesn't make a difference on a lot of PS4 consoles. Mine sounds honestly like a 747 taking off now compared to my X which I'm thankful for since all my single player games can be done in complete silence.

Still have a couple mates that haven't made the jump yet so online for all of us with headset I can drone out most of the PS4 racket.

My PS3 made a hell of a noise as well before it cooked its self and died. Hopefully they over engineer with cooling like Microsoft next gen.

Top Bottom