• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch vs Speedrun Community Drama (update: Twitch officially responds)

Mesoian

that's another thing to consider, there are no viable alternatives to this site

where would you go?

ustream? livestream? lol

ps that hitbox.tv site is run by some of the same people that ran own3d... before it declared bankruptcy after not paying their streamers for 3 months

I mean...yeah.

Gangxxter

The biggest problem is that this is the kind of personality-based nonsense that shouldn't be happening in a company that is ostensibly going to be the industry standard for the game streaming market. Any time you've grown big enough to be the go-to service for large companies like Microsoft and Sony, you need to be big enough to not go on a rampage for personal reasons, especially when money is involved in the case of channels with large subscriber bases.
qft.

How the official representatives of Twitch are behaving (especially their Twitter account) is unacceptable.

Time to go over to Ustream now. X1 also supports Ustream, doesn't it?

Edit: And I can't believe they want to censor reddit! This is madness!

beastworship

Neo Member
gay furry, way to double up on protected groups, that guy ain't going nowhere unless twitch wants a hr nightmare so i guess these people will need to use another service or change their ip or some such.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
gay furry, way to double up on protected groups, that guy ain't going nowhere unless twitch wants a hr nightmare so i guess these people will need to use another service or change their ip or some such.

Furries are a protected group? Where do I get my card?

CHEEZMO™;90669887 said:
shit, gay is a protected group?

in my state it's still legal to fire someone solely for their sexual orientation

not in the south

Alvarez

Banned
No, why don't you go and copy/paste examples from it instead.

I was going to say that I can't believe that NeoGAF is unwilling to research its own 11-page thread-starters, but I can believe it.

Here you are, Your Majesty. This is the entirety of Section 15: Termination. Yes, it has its own section:

Termination.

Twitch.

Twitch reserves the right, without notice and in our sole discretion, to terminate your license to use the Twitch Service (including to post Broadcaster Content), and to block or prevent your future access to and use of the Twitch Service.
You.

Your only remedy with respect to any dissatisfaction with (i) the Twitch Service, (ii) any term of these Terms of Service, (iii) any policy or practice of Twitch in operating the Twitch Service, or (iv) any content or information transmitted through the Twitch Service, is to terminate your account and discontinuing use of any and all parts of the Twitch Service.

Wow. I don't know much about Twitch as an institution (despite watching a fair amount of streams), but it surprises me that they've let this problem spiral. They could have easily chilled out for a couple of days and figured out a measured response (anything from temporarily suspending Horror to just explaining a general statement about "Remove X" statements), but instead they decided to panic over what appears to have been (at least initially) a pretty minor issue.

It's a private internet service. Evilore and the mods here can also ban anyone, at any time, for anything; has someone been banned here before for making an off color joke to a mod? Has a mod here ever performed nepotism? Would you be upset in those circumstances as well?

Look, let me be clear: the mod shouldn't have given his boyfriend an emote, it sucks he did, and the actions afterwards with banning and whatnot are completely out of line. But the initial catalyst for this seems way blown out of proportion.

The internet wouldn't function if people got upset everyone nepotism happened. I think the way this has been handled from both sides is immature. And that includes the off color joke that started the first ban. A permaban is over the line, but maybe he shouldn't have said a shitty joke in the first place.

Nepotism is a big part of these kinds of sites, I realize, but it's sad to see that nepotism not only lets Horror do whatever he wants on the site, but also be free of any consequence. When Duke made that joke, it was precisely that, a joke. Perma-banning him was just plain abuse, and there's no excusing it. We can at least agree that Horror is undermining Twitch's reputation with his actions, and something should be done, right?

AppleMIX

I was going to say that I can't believe that NeoGAF is unwilling to research its own 11-page thread-starters, but I can believe it.

Here you are, Your Majesty. This is the entirety of Section 15: Termination. Yes, it has its own section:

Yes we get it, they have to legal right to do so.

What they are doing is very much wrong.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

uh

nobody is saying they don't have the right to close these channels

they're saying doing so is childish and unprofessional in this context

Manbig

Nepotism is a big part of these kinds of sites, I realize, but it's sad to see that nepotism not only lets Horror do whatever he wants on the site, but also be free of any consequence. When Duke made that joke, it was precisely that, a joke. Perma-banning him was just plain abuse, and there's no excusing it. We can at least agree that Horror is undermining Twitch's reputation with his actions, and something should be done, right?

Everything else aside, that joke was an incredibly dumb idea and he deserved to get punished for it.

Alvarez

Banned
Yes we get it, they have to legal right to do so.

What they are doing is very much wrong.

A moderator employed favoritism (much like how Blizzard employs favoritism via its F&F program, and much like how every entity ever employs favoritism, consciously or not). The public response included sexual harassment and widespread harassment, to which he responded by employing bans.

Is this really as "wrong" as you think it is--and do your morals even matter against the ToS? I can tell you right now that the PR is on Twitch's side.

For whoever was asking about the Furry Cards: They are issued at the DMV.

jem2WJ96VILCJ.jpg

Yes, we can agree on that (check my edit.) I'm just saying that I think the reaction to the initial act of adding the emote was probably overblown, and the joke was in poor taste (dragging someone's SO into it is pretty low in my book, and the drama has successfully split the pair.)

A moderator employed favoritism (much like how Blizzard employs favoritism via its F&F program, and much like how every entity ever employs favoritism, consciously or not). The public response included sexual harassment and widespread harassment, to which he responded by employing bans.

Is this really as "wrong" as you think it is--and do your morals even matter against the ToS? I can tell you right now that the PR is on Twitch's side.

hey guys, I found Horror's GAF account

beastworship

Neo Member
CHEEZMO™;90669887 said:

i got mine by doing the grand unveiling in public to a "minor", as an added bonus my address now shows up as a red dot and i get to go introduce myself to the neighbors.

Frolow

Banned
For those too lazy to read the summery: People aren't hating on Horror because he's a furry, they're hating on him for his abusive actions as an administrator.

Outside of some idiots on 4chan, him being a furry has barely anything to do with this.

jem2WJ96VILCJ.jpg

You have to be a twitch staffer. NO ONE has been supporting those who levied death threats against Horror, the criticism is squarely being placed at those who were shutting down channels for asking for his removal. And their is no "PR" going on for twitch's side, they're fucking terrified about this getting out in any way, not even attempting to spin it for their "side". Your posts in this topic have been a complete joke, never attempting to address the actual issue.

hey guys, I found Horror's GAF account
So do you regularly pull this bullshit to try and undermine or avoid a discussion you don't like, or is accusing people you disagree with that they're actually someone else or doing something they're not just standard practice with you?

Because this is embarrassing to watch.

Inb4 I'm from Twitch too.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's a private internet service. Evilore and the mods here can also ban anyone, at any time, for anything; has someone been banned here before for making an off color joke to a mod? Has a mod here ever performed nepotism? Would you be upset in those circumstances as well?

Look, let me be clear: the mod shouldn't have given his boyfriend an emote, it sucks he did, and the actions afterwards with banning and whatnot are completely out of line. But the initial catalyst for this seems way blown out of proportion.

The internet wouldn't function if people got upset everyone nepotism happened. I think the way this has been handled from both sides is immature. And that includes the off color joke that started the first ban. A permaban is over the line, but maybe he shouldn't have said a shitty joke in the first place.
Legal rights don't even need to play into it. They're a given and bringing it up is trivial. For a forum, its userbase represents both its product and its customers. Pissing off your users unnecessarily will diminish the incentive for people to post in general. The inertia achieved by simply having so many users already only goes so far, and even though you might still do well in numbers the quality of the crowd can change for the worse. That's why mod action needs to be reasonable and why there needs to be good communication regarding it. It's not because mods have to, but because they should.

Valnen

You have to be a twitch staffer. NO ONE has been supporting those who levied death threats against Horror, the criticism is squarely being placed at those who were shutting down channels for asking for his removal. And their is no "PR" going on for twitch's side, they're fucking terrified about this getting out in any way, not even attempting to spin it for their "side". Your posts in this topic have been a complete joke, never attempting to address the actual issue.

Well it's out, and they're going to have to address it. Would be nice if we could get some big news sites to report on this but they'd likely bow to demands from twitch admins.

So do you regularly pull this bullshit to try and undermine or avoid a discussion you don't like, or is accusing people you disagree with that they're actually someone else or doing something they're not just standard practice with you?

Because this is embarrassing to watch.

Inb4 I'm from Twitch too.

Legal rights don't even need to play into it. They're a given and bringing it up is trivial. For a forum, its userbase represents both its product and its customers. Pissing off your users unnecessarily will diminish the incentive for people to post in general. The inertia achieved by simply having so many users already only goes so far, and even though you might still do well in numbers the quality of the crowd can change for the worse. That's why mod action needs to be reasonable and why there needs to be good communication regarding it. Not because mods have to, but because they should.

Yes, we can agree on that (check my edit.) I'm just saying that I think the reaction to the initial act of adding the emote was probably overblown, and the joke was in poor taste (dragging someone's SO into it is pretty low in my book, and the drama has successfully split the pair.)

It was a dumb issue that Horror himself blew up by banning Duke and Twitch mods banning anyone who dissented. That whole furry thing isn't even an issue anymore, the meat of the drama is in the aftermath. I'm pretty biased, because I thought it was a funny, crude joke at an admin's expense, but I'm not sure what Duke expected to happen either after he made the joke haha.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure if Horror had only banned Duke and ignored REMOVE HORROR, this all would have blown over in a day or two, and people would eventually forget. Twitch shot themselves in the foot here.

Alvarez

Banned
That chat...

I assure you that the rampant faux-homophobia, faux-antisemitism, faux-racism, and stupidity (which is certainly not faux!) does not represent the anti-Horror movement. What you see there in the chat is the extreme minority. All of the other people who are angry because a moderator moderated are stand-up citizens who would never participate in such insensitivity.

Now if you'll excuse me, Dean Monroe is calling me to a tub of glittering diamonds. Ta.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
CHEEZMO™;90669887 said:

Please PM me the T7FUR34-N5 application in triplicate with a non-refundable $100 processing fee. Remember to only use English. If you need the form in other languages, please feel free to ask. But remember there will be a additional non-refundable fee of $55 due at the time of request.

Velcro Fly

Yeah they can terminate your account at their discretion.

Only they were masking it as "hate speech" which is a load of bull. Some people on twitter were going overboard. People in the chat too. Remove Horror is not hate speech. It's a slap in the face to people who do face hate speech to say that shit is hate speech. It's disgusting for sure because the outcry had nothing to do with what Horror does in his personal life.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Please PM me the T7FUR34-N5 application in triplicate with a non-refundable $100 processing fee. Remember to only use English. If you need the form in other languages, please feel free to ask.But remember there will be a additional non-refundable fee of $55 due at the time of request.
Don't forget about the pet deposit.

Top Bottom