• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aung San Suu Kyi to address plight of Rohingya in key speech

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...ress-plight-of-rohingya-in-key-speech-9228850

NAY PYI TAW: Myanmar’s de-facto leader and State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi will on Tuesday (Sep 19) make her first public speech on the violence in Rakhine State since the government launched "clearance operations" last month.

The message - to be delivered in English and broadcast on television - is an attempt by the Nobel Peace Prize winner to address global concern over the plight of Rohingya Muslim minorities in the conflict-ridden state.

It also comes amid mounting criticisms against her silence on the government’s offensive against Rohingya militants, in which security forces have been accused of murder, mass rape, torture and arson attacks on the Muslim minority.

rohingya-muslims-stateless-and-fleeing-1504749284570-249.jpg

Violence is escalating in Rakhine State after a group of insurgents from the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (ARSA) attacked 30 official posts and killed 12 people on Aug 25.

The militants claimed it was a defensive action to counter the government’s atrocities against Rohingya Muslims, who have suffered decades of oppression and deprivation of citizenship as well as basic rights.

The insurgent attacks have provoked Myanmar’s security forces to hit back. The retaliation, however, has shocked the world with its scope of destruction and brutality.

Back in Myanmar, satellite images published by Amnesty International show at least 26 villages in Rakhine State had been burnt. The satellite also detected about 80 large-scale blazes across the northern stretch.

UN human rights chief Zeid Ra‘ad al-Hussein described the situation as "a textbook example of ethnic cleansing" and denounced the government’s counter-insurgency operation.

However, the Myanmar government claimed the houses were destroyed by the Rohingya militants, not security forces or Rakhine Buddhists as accused by various parties.

During the weeks-long offensive, Aung San Suu Kyi remained tight-lipped about the plights of Rohingyas. Her silence has moved human rights activists, officials and fellow Nobel Laureates to make public calls for her step up and protect the Muslim minority.

In his open letter to Aung San Suu Kyi, Nobel Peace Laureate Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu asked his "dearly beloved younger sister" to intervene in the Rohingya crisis and to speak out for justice, human rights and the unity of Myanmar people.

"Guide your people back towards the path of righteousness," he wrote.

"If the political price of your ascension to the highest office...is your silence, the price is surely too steep"

"Over the last several years, I have repeatedly condemned this tragic and shameful treatment," she said in a statement.

"I am still waiting for my fellow Nobel Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi to do the same. The world is waiting and the Rohingya Muslims are waiting.
"

TheXbox

The message - to be delivered in English and broadcast on television - is an attempt by the Nobel Peace Prize winner to address global concern over the plight of Rohingya Muslim minorities in the conflict-ridden state.
English, huh? Maybe you should address your government before you try to save face.

I'm willing to bet she says a whole lot of nothing.

I've watched a bit of it just now- She said something along the lines of "they don't know why the Rohingya are fleeing but they will investigate it."

Also a lot of mentioning of the terror attacks from the Muslim extremists, I don't think she emphasize the Army's own actions.

Forgive my ignorance, but could someone educate me? What's the extent of her power?

The main thing is that she doesn't control the army. They still do whatever they want.

Volimar

I've watched a bit of it just now- She said something along the lines of "they don't know why the Rohingya are fleeing but they will investigate it."

Also a lot of mentioning of the terror attacks from the Muslim extremists.

Wow, "both sides" remains the most popular fallacy among political leaders.

kurahador

Also a lot of mentioning of the terror attacks from the Muslim extremists, I don't think she emphasize the Army's own actions.

What a joke.

FUME5

The main thing is that she doesn't control the army. They still do whatever they want.

She may be the elected leader, but she's hamstrung in what she can do.

cameron

She is fucking worthless.

Typvid9.png

https://twitter.com/JonahFisherBBC

Aung San Suu Kyi: We will take all measures mentioned to ensure that there is peace in Rakhine and Myanmar as a whole. We will also investigate why so many young Muslims are crossing the border and going to Bangladesh. We will ask them why they are doing this?
Aung San Suu Kyi: Even before this crisis started, we had ensure that development work had started in Rakhine for the prosperity of all. We want peace and progress, we work for peace, stability and rule of law of the land.

http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/live...eech-on-myanmar-rohingya-crisis-today-1752054

What a fucking mystery.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
She may be the elected leader, but she's hamstrung in what she can do.

Yeah? well is being dismissive about what really happening and calling the murders/genocide as basically fake news is pardonable because "she's hamstrung in what she can do"?

She doesn't even want to acknowledge the massacre happening.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Man, I remember when people were putting her right up there with MLK and Gandhi more than a decade ago.

rpmurphy

Wow, "both sides" remains the most popular fallacy among political leaders.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/aung-san-suu-kyi-breaks-silence-over-myanmars-rohingya-crisis-we-too-are-concerned/ar-AAscu8k said:
“We too are concerned. We want to find out what the real problems are. There have been allegations and counter-allegations. We have to listen to all of them. We have to make sure those allegations are based on solid evidence before we take action,” she said in the capital Naypyidaw.
Both sides, both sides!

Linkup

Another person tossing justice under the bus in the name of what? What happened to being just to others? Heck, against yourselves. It's apparently really easy to look at the money and power no matter how little and decide it's worth more than other's lives.

Fuck her, revoke her sham of a peace prize, even though most are.

Truly horrible. Show her the mass beheadings and rapes and see what she says.

lupinko

Yeah, while she may or may not agree with the military's ethnic cleansing, it is apparent that she shares the same distain for Muslims as the rest of her government.

You should see how furious she got at the BBC for assigning a Muslim reporter to interview her.

FUME5

Yeah? well is being dismissive about what really happening and calling the murders/genocide as basically fake news is pardonable because "she's hamstrung in what she can do"?

She doesn't even want to acknowledge the massacre happening.

I'm not defending her, just stating that the military junta is still the real power in the country.

Derwind

She already has blood on her hands, she'll carry that stench to her death bed. Nothing is ever going to absolve her role in this genocide.

duckroll

It's really, really sad to see how this entire Myanmar political saga has played out over the decades. It's so disappointing to see a celebrated freedom fighter become a national leader only to turn into a worthless wet blanket amid a crazy humanitarian crisis, either because she is powerless, or because she is in fact, just as bad as whatever she was crusading against. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's really, really sad to see how this entire Myanmar political saga has played out over the decades. It's so disappointing to see a celebrated freedom fighter become a national leader only to turn into a worthless wet blanket amid a crazy humanitarian crisis, either because she is powerless, or because she is in fact, just as bad as whatever she was crusading against. :(
Even if it's the former and she's afraid of being deposed by the military commanders or whatever, her silence basically legitimizes their actions. Particularly when she's basically got the peace prize shield to cover her.

There's talk of removing her honorary Canadian citizenship because of her inaction, although I doubt it'll happen.

duckroll

Even if it's the former and she's afraid of being deposed by the military commanders or whatever, her silence basically legitimizes their actions. Particularly when she's basically got the peace prize shield to cover her.

There's talk of removing her honorary Canadian citizenship because of her inaction, although I doubt it'll happen.

Yes I'm not remotely trying to negate any blame on her part, it's just so.... crushingly disappointing as someone who casually followed the developments since the days she struggled against the junta to be taken seriously. Her being where she is today is supposed to be a huge achievement and a path towards the country developing itself. Instead, we get.... genocide. Wtf?

Jackpot

Banned
'Blind to the realities?'

By Jonah Fisher, BBC News, Nay Pyi Taw

Aung San Suu Kyi is either completely out of touch or wilfully blind to the realities of what her army is up to.

It is simply not credible to say we don't know why more than 400,000 Rohingya have fled. The evidence is being gathered every day in the testimony of refugees.

There were other moments that raised eyebrows. Like when she presented as good news the fact that more than half the Muslims in Rakhine haven't fled. Or when she said that there had been no clashes in Rakhine for the last two weeks.

To say as she did that "all people in Rakhine state have access to education and healthcare without discrimination" is simply wrong.

The Rohingya, particularly those in camps around Sittwe, have long been denied access to the most basic services, in particular healthcare.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41315924

She was powerful enough before for her voice to be recognised and given a Nobel peace prize for speaking up but now she's powerless and her voice has no impact

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Nah it was "all lives matter"

Good to see how this attracts such little attention.

But Spicer having a drink with overpaid cunts proved worthy of such scorn.

Mung

Yes I'm not remotely trying to negate any blame on her part, it's just so.... crushingly disappointing as someone who casually followed the developments since the days she struggled against the junta to be taken seriously. Her being where she is today is supposed to be a huge achievement and a path towards the country developing itself. Instead, we get.... genocide. Wtf?

She was a useful puppet for the West and if you knew more about her beliefs before it is totally unsurprising that she is a racist, even to this extent.

Bold One

You either die a hero...

This lady... Like if Mandela turned out to be evil all along, so disappointing and sad. All those people suffering.

Man this coverage all so racist and offensive.

If this were Muslims genociding Buddhists we wouldn't be having these tame headlines, after so long.

She is a hitler like person. She's a war criminal and murderer. Its that simple.

The western world intervenes when it wants to. They don't want to stop the genocide of Rohingya.

sandy1297

To be fair, she just saying what the majority of Myanmar people have been saying all along.

They never considered rohingyas as myanmar citizen and see them as trespasser

Jumeira

Banned
Shes a vile genocide apologist, she says satalite images from credible sources, on-the-ground account from UN officals and reporters, intelligence from Bangladeshi officials are all fake news and an attempt to generate propoganda THEN says its more likely this mass migration of humans is self manufactured whereby communities are collectively burning thier own homes and stepping on landmines...to generate sympathy, yes, hundreds of thousand of people all synchronised to destroy thier homes and kill thier families. These poor communities with no access to modern technology can pull off ethnic cleansing of themselves at this scale.

How little does she think of the rest of the world that she'd think this is a plausible excuse? She doesnt even refer to Rohingya as citizens, but outsiders who are guests. Fuck her and her phoney ideals. Shes a cunt.

G.O.O.

Pretty sure she never was exactly friendly towards the rohingyas, even when the rest of the world was praising her.

She didn't turn into a monster. She was a resistant and got idolized as such, just like the Dalai Lama's persecution doesn't make him a liberal. Getting in a position of power is never neutral for anyone, Mandela being an exception in that case...

Man this coverage all so racist and offensive.

If this were Muslims genociding Buddhists we wouldn't be having these tame headlines, after so long.

She is a hitler like person. She's a war criminal and murderer. Its that simple.

The western world intervenes when it wants to. They don't want to stop the genocide of Rohingya.
If Muslims were ethnically cleansing Buddhist minorty through military strong arm tactics we'd have invaded already.

Top Bottom