• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone been discriminated for having tattooes?

Rad-

Definitely cover tattoos in important meetings. That's how it is at least in my country and my field (engineering).

I have worked on HR on two different companies and in both of them people with tattoos were always discarded but you never said anything to the applicant to avoid any demand for discrimination. So the office just continued with the interview to keep appareances but they had already decided to discard the person.

Those two companies were in the health services area and they considered a lot their image towards patients (clients).

exhume

Small companies can have these bias as well.

Also, what if the op wants to change careers one day and their tattoos limit them?

Then OP can wear long sleeves, easy!

Anecdotally I have met tons of clients in the studio I work at that have white-collar jobs and they either rock them just fine or cover up when needed :) It's really just a case of whether or not wearing long sleeves pisses you off greatly and/or you live in a super hot climate.

Timbuktu

Not just onsens, but most of the mainstream gyms in my area won't allow people with tattoos either.

Japan has to change it at some point with Tokyo 2020 coming up and particularly with the Rugby World Cup there in 2019. Imagine the All Blacks and all the Maori and other Polynesian players and fans being discriminated against. That might be a good time to educate widely that tattoos can have a wider cultural meaning than just a mark of the yakuza. One would think that even just watching Moana would make that obvious.

I had no idea about that Japan thing thats fucking stupid

Meh, it's a silly stereotype like many others. I lived there for some time, and I regularly got people anxious for my appearance (very long hair, shades, both arms inked with japanese sleeves, and I rarely wear long sleeves), I noticed their behaviour but never cared.
If onsen are your only concern, you just have to know where they accept tattoos, plus in some places their more lenient towards foreigners.

kirby_fox

Banned
I have worked on HR on two different companies and in both of them people with tattoos were always discarded but you never said anything to the applicant to avoid any demand for discrimination. So the office just continued with the interview to keep appareances but they had already decided to discard the person.

Those two companies were in the health services area and they considered a lot their image towards patients (clients).

Different industry but yeah, we would give them an interview and then the resume would get filed into the trash can. It would only be visible tattoos, so as long as they could be covered up it was fine.

darscot

Tattoos are such a weird thing, I have none. At a party that had a temporary tattoo booth I got the Dusk till Dawn neck tattoo. It was supposed to wear off in a few days. After one day in public I scrubbed the thing off, it completely changed everyone around me. Even people that knew me for years got all intimidated. I don't know how people stand walking around with them.

Such as? Biker? Bouncer? Drug mule?

Jokes aside I have never been in a situation that showing a tattoo was OK. I guess different fields look at them differently.
I know a ton of people in the wedding industry and in architecture and many of them have visible tats. Decor designers, photographers, entrenpenuers who opened up clubs and restaurants. Sure if a person wants to work a regular 8 hour shift job like the majority of north America then you are bound to be limited by your tattoos.

Slo

Tattoos are a form of self expression and life is more than just being a some puppet for a conglomerate business.

I always imagine that the people in these tattoo threads who say that tattoos shouldn't affect employablity are intentionally trying to broadcast the message that they're not "some puppet for a corporation" while they're getting inked up, but then are somehow surprised when that message is received.

Ho_su

Neo Member
Where i live, you can get brutal killed for having a tatto, because of the "Maras" or gang`s territory disputes.

I would like have one but is too dangerous, also you can get fire for safety reasons, especialy for field works. So yea you get discriminated.

ZehDon

Gold Member
As someone who's interviewed, hired and fired, the binary answer to "do they have a tattoo?" had little impact on my consideration at any stage of an employees time. With that said, I absolutely support and promote a "cover all tattoos" company policy. As an employer, you simply cannot run the risk of someone representing your company displaying something inappropriate or offensive, either to your customers or fellow employees. Period. The blanket policy prevents any type of discrimination - doesn't matter if its your daughters name or your favourite swastika, all tattoos must be covered. If an employee sat down for their interview with their sleeve tattoos on full display, I would seriously question their forethought and understanding of the business world. That type of uncertainty would give me pause about the kind of decisions that employee might make while representing the company. It's less about social stigma, and more about making sure your "Fuck God" forearm tattoo doesn't hurt the company.

norm9

Have not been "discriminated" for my tattoo at my work but I have judged a person because of the pot leaf tattoo on his face.

And yes, we all are special individuals, but in the professional world, your tattoos points out how special you think you are, but you aren't, so cover that shit up.

gamz

In all my years working tech in all kinds of fields I've never seen it discriminated against. I guess it depends what tats you have and wear?

I don't have any.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I have plenty of tattoos. But A. I'm an editor/writer/snowboard instructor so it's never come up and B. Nothing below the wrist or above the collar bone. Put me in a suit and I blend right in.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Not in Canada I found (my executive director even has a neck tattoo), but when travelling, I'm always drilled at customs. I have a back tattoo, thigh and full sleeve, a Ph.D. two Masters etc. I show my tattoos at work.

I'm reticent to go to Japan because of this.

She's right.

A lot of corporate environments will look at that, imagine a customer seeing it, and immediately cross you off the list. They may not personally be against it, but they know one or many of their customers might be, and they have no reason to take the risk when they've got a handful of other valid applicants. It's really not a surprising business decision. People always gasp and wonder why an office is full of prudes, totally missing the point. It's probably not full of prudes, but they don't want to upset any grandmas who want to give them money. Every visible employee represents the company image. Dat bottom line.

Depends on the job you're going for, really. But it does hinder your options a little.

ThisGuy

Yeah, people are going to look at you like a rebellious young heart.

Some will admire, some will be filled with jealousy. 🙁

Tattoos are such a weird thing, I have none. At a party that had a temporary tattoo booth I got the Dusk till Dawn neck tattoo. It was supposed to wear off in a few days. After one day in public I scrubbed the thing off, it completely changed everyone around me. Even people that knew me for years got all intimidated. I don't know how people stand walking around with them.
With my feet, like regular people?

.JayZii

Banned
Get a job in a creative field. Otherwise it'll always be an annoyance to some degree for you. At least in the foreseeable future.

OSHAN

Also, my wife and I have been to Japan and we both have tattoos and could both go in bathhouses. If you're worried about it research where you are staying. The "no tattoo" places don't surprise that shit on you.

Mau ®

One of our VPs has his entire arm covered in tattoos.

I don't think it's an issue although some older folks might feel different about it. I work in the corporate of a major retail chain.

WaterAstro

I don't like to think of skin as a canvas for piercings and tattoos; the same kind of thought for vanity implants and even hair colour.

I do view people who like to use their skin as a canvas differently. I suppose, in all honesty, I probably have a bit of prejudice about it.

I don't like to think of skin as a canvas for piercings and tattoos; the same kind of thought for vanity implants and even hair colour.

I do view people who like to use their skin as a canvas differently. I suppose, in all honesty, I probably have a bit of prejudice about it.
get over yourself

whoa i had no idea this was a thing. can yall tell me more about it?

The Yakuza, the criminal syndicate of Japan, have traditionally gotten extensive sleeve and back tattoos, and unfortunately they're often relatively "classy" ones (ie, they tend to look like old Buddhist art) and not Swastikas or other stupid stuff like that.

Osukaa

Mau ®;241576221 said:
One of our VPs has his entire arm covered in tattoos.

I don't think it's an issue although some older folks might feel different about it. I work in the corporate of a major retail chain.

Tell me what chain so I can never shop there again and boycott it. Damn Hippies running that place....

But ya seriously I don't see a sleeve being a major issue as long as its not all over your face cause then it does bring a kind of stigma about it. I personally would not get a tattoo but I don't have anything against them in general. They can be downright amazing at times, I saw a full back tattoo in Japan and I couldn't take my eyes off of it. It was the first time I legit wanted to get one haa haa!!

whoa i had no idea this was a thing. can yall tell me more about it?

Traditional hotels in Japan have communal bathrooms. They also have rules against publicly displaying tattoos. I was led to believe in their advertising that there would be a private bath but the room I received didn't. I didn't want to cause any problems or get kicked out so I bathed myself in the sink.

It's less of an issue in Kanto (Tokyo-Yokohama-Chiba). It's a big issue in rural and traditional places (like Kyoto).

I get the impression that tattoos are most acceptable in Osaka but the government there cracks down on it a lot. My tattoo artist lives in Osaka and he has to pretend he runs a clothing shop to stay open. Everyone in the shop he used to work at was arrested for bullshit reasons.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Depends on the tattoo. It's like piece of clothing that you are always wearing now. You can't change out of it, but you can put something over it. You will be judged the same way you would be judged by someone for wearing terrible attire. If you are trying to present yourself as someone that makes great decisions but you are displaying an obviously not well thought out tattoo, people are going to see that.

god-of-war-kratos-tattoo.jpg

Yes, finally confirmation that Sony are remastering Fester's Quest
from the ground up
in stunning
checkerboard
4k!

That tattoo is fucking cat malojan altogether. I'd amputate rather carry that burden with me.

13ruce

Banned
Nope and i have Zelda tattoo's.
Only my Grandma and steph Grandpa said something about it but the rest of all reactions was very postive family/friends/mainstream/casual wise.

Btw tattoo's are getting widely accepted in most countries and places because they are very very mainstream now. Alot of young people have them so work givers can't just say no. Unless you have them on your face or neck or hands.

Btw visit a great artist don't cheap out on tattoo's never ever!

I was a trainee at a freaking catholic school with a imp midna tattoo on my arm wich kinda looks like a little devil. And for workplaces that do care if a full suit or dress can hide it why not? Only irritating in the summer tho.

Lombax

Banned
Yes, but only once, and the person apologized afterwards.

Oh there was also an instance at a party where someone said "You are well spoken considering how you look."

These days nobody gives me any static, and if i am ever truly worried about it I put on a dress shirt and nothing is visible.

People who make judgements based on a persons outside appearance are dirtbags, and not worth your time.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

How much fun is it being single with no friends?
only kidding, but you sound like a real stuck up fella

MGrant

In Asia, tattoos are associated with criminals and old-time gangsters. I've seen a few older men in my neighborhood with enormous chest/back/sleeve tattoos that look incredibly badass, but the fact is that they still make some people feel uneasy. Younger folks are coming around, but for now I will just steer clear of getting any ink in Asia.

WaterAstro

How much fun is it being single with no friends?
only kidding, but you sound like a real stuck up fella

I didn't say people with tattoo are bad. I just have a difference of opinion with them that could cause tension.

It's like if someone wore a crucifix necklace, I bet people would judge them as religious without asking, and depending on those people, some of them may avoid that person as they don't agree with religion.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think the stigma is lessening, but the general rule of thumb is still that you should be able to conceal it with a piece of clothing if required.

A lot of us where I work have tattoos, but no one knows even when we're in t-shirts and jeans.

She is 100% right, and you will also never be able to visit a Japanese hot spring. If that's important to you.

Not true. The one we visited last year was cool with us having tattoos(my friend has a whole sleeve done on his right arm). Alot of places don't let you in but some are becoming more accepting of tattoos plus it helped that we were foreigners. We thought they wouldn't let us into a Soapland also but the door guy said it was cool so if your looking for that and have tattoos don't fret.

AudioNoir

Banned
I work in an oncology office/clinic at a city hospital and have tattoos on my chest and arms, including a full and half sleeve.

I covered them for my interview, but no one really cares if I have them visible now. I attend meetings and conferences with them and don't pay much attention to whether or not they're covered.

Actually, the hospital dress code says you can have visible tattoos so long as they're not of a certain content-- nudity, racism, gore, etc etc.

As a "just in case", I have a flesh-toned sleeve/fashion foreskin I can slip on, and keep a light sweater in my desk drawer.

No issues. Get your ink and enjoy :)

Clockwork5

I don't have tattoos but I have denied an applicant a job only on the basis that he had tattoos on his neck and face. He was an otherwise great candidate, oh well.

I always imagine that the people in these tattoo threads who say that tattoos shouldn't affect employablity are intentionally trying to broadcast the message that they're not "some puppet for a corporation" while they're getting inked up, but then are somehow surprised when that message is received.
Ive never been rejected for a job because of my tattoos.

Top Bottom