• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone been discriminated for having tattooes?

Acidote

The places I know are perfectly fine with tattoos as long as you cover them during your shift, I've been told that myself in interviews (and I don't have any). When you see someone waiting tables on a 42ºC day with a long sleeve shirt on any of those places, you know they have tattoos. But those places are mostly managed by young people, I guess places with older management are different.

I said a few pages back. You can get a tattoo. Some of my friends have tattoos, but they are discreet. You'd never know they have them until you go swimming or when it's hot and everyone is just relaxing in the garden with no shirts on. They are also personal to them, its usually about something profound that happened to them and as a reminder they want for a tattoo.

Then there's the look at me, I got a tattoo crowd you see when at the mall or shopping streets.

There's a huge difference between the discreet crowd and look at me I got a tattoo too crowd.
Every tattoo is personal to the person who got it. Sorry to say, but that stupid mushroom from Mario means just as much to the dude who got it as the person who got their grandmas name tattooed. Maybe Mario was the game that drove him out of depression and stopped him from suicide. Maybe Mario was his dead brothers favorite game. Maybe Mario was the game he remembered playing with his dad when he was a kid and doesn't want to forget that feeling. It's not on your body so don't think so much into it.

This is also why I think it is very bad taste to ask someone what a tattoo means unless you are good friends, if someone has a mushroom that's a reminder of their dead parent there's a good chance they don't feel like explaining it to some stranger at the pool. Almost as bad as asking "how much did that cost"

C4Lukins

I have a weird thing about piercings and tattoos. Not into it. But, I am also really uncomfortable around cotton balls.

My sister got turned down because she had a tattoo. It was on her arm, it was very tasteful, but it was retail and the official uniform as T-Shirt.

It was understandable really. Nearly all jobs don't care and good chunk of those that do, it's because the job means you that customers will see it.

I'm 25 and work as a technical manager and hire quite a lot of younguns, Wouldn't discriminate for tatoos and have hired plenty of people that do, but it does help me judge their character. Take that as a pro or con really. At the end of the day it's a statement about who you are and it will impact the interviewers decision even if they have no problem with the idea of people plastered in tattoos.

executor

It's not only a matter of the company where you work but also the kind of work you do..
If you're a technician, engineer, coder etc it's surely not a problem but in case you're planning a techical career (director, etc) I would suggest to think about it.
The same apply if you're doing a job that needs contact with other people. Not all the people you interact with may be ok with your tattoo (there're still countries where a tattoo is a big no-no).

In my experience working food, retail, and office jobs, no one gives a fuck.

I've got obvious ink on my wrists and forearm that show during work and I've never had anyone say anything, save one person at one interview who just wanted me to cover them when I met the more conservative owners.

Well, in Germany we have this page "Tattoofrei", which translates to "tattoo free", it has over 450.000 likes.

They call people without tattoos "Reinhäuter", which translates to "clean skinners" / "pure skinners".

People with tattoos are described as poor, they take drugs, probably criminal, etc.

https://de-de.facebook.com/Keinetattoos/

It's a parody account which was created during the refugee crisis.

You won't believe how many racist / xenophobic people go to that page and complain about this site because they get discriminated "just because they have tattoos".

Airola

Tattoos don't affect anyone. Let people do what they want to their body without being discriminated against.

They might affect the customers.

Just as it's not a good advice to go to a job interview with wrinkled untidy clothes and messy hair, it's also not a good advice to go to a job interview with visible tattoos.

Even if "messy look" would be someone's style it's still ok for the boss to ask to dress more nicely to the work especially if it's about public relations or selling stuff to people. It's not discrimination in any sense.

Tattoos can fall into that category too.

But of course it also depends on where the tattoos are and what they are. Some tattoos could be more acceptable than others.

EDIT:
And for the record, my personal opinion is that if I could decide people would be in their jobs just the way they like to be withouth any need to dress better and tattoos shouldn't be an issue. But I know things don't go, nor they should go, the way I like.

Eria

I think it depends on the country you live. I've a really big tattoo in the arm and never had any problem with that.

get a job first and then get a tattoo? or just don't get a sleeve.

what if your skin looks diseased and you get a tattoo to kind of distract from it?

I think that's a creative way to address the problem, and as long as it doesn't make it look worse, I think that can be good.

As the baby boomers die off this will become less of an issue. I've never been discriminated against for having them, but then I didn't have my forearm one at that time.

Now that I'm established in my career no one cares.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
No place I'd ever interview at would discriminate against tattoos, all "white collar" but small tech agency or startup kind of places.

Tattoo-bearers are not generally considered a group of people to which the term 'discrimination' applies. Nonetheless, I think the only answer here is: depends. It depends where you live, where you work, what your job is. In the more general sense: there are jobs where looks count, and you want to look professional. There are other jobs where looks don't count, and you can dye your hair pink, grow a soul patch and get a nose piercing. Just be careful to not assume you are in a job where looks don't count.

Do you work in creative, design or marketing? Then you will probably have 0 issues

I can confirm this. Working in the creative department of an ad agency, I'd say about 75% of us have tattoos. Most of them visible at all times. I have a half sleeve and big ditch tattoo on my right arm, my bosses, and even my clients, some of whom are very corporate don't give two shits. It's all about the culture of the place you're trying to work.

rhandino

Banned
I think it depends of what kind of tatoo you are going to get and the country you live.

I never got one because gangs were such a problem here (I am from Honduras) that for a while there were constant raids on buses and they detained people that had them even if they were innocuous and you also have people working with you treating you VERY different if you display them.

It's not only a matter of the company where you work but also the kind of work you do..
If you're a technician, engineer, coder etc it's surely not a problem but in case you're planning a techical career (director, etc) I would suggest to think about it.
The same apply if you're doing a job that needs contact with other people. Not all the people you interact with may be ok with your tattoo (there're still countries where a tattoo is a big no-no).

Why would a director need to dress and look conservatively? It's a creative profession.

Slo

You don't put bumper stickers on a Ferrari, yo.

This is a good analogy because it scales for all levels of cars, not just Ferraris. I don't think twice when I see a 1997 Chevy Cavalier covered with bumper stickers, but when I see a BMW or a Benz with stickers on it's ass or even a custom paint job, I assume the driver's other car is a shitty 1997 Cavalier.

As others have said, it really depends on the industry you are aiming for.

Arts/creative fields aren't really an issue.

For suit and tie industries, it does matter. You aren't there to showcase your personality, you're their to showcase your professionalism and that's it.

When you're younger, a lot less bothers you. You have this attitude that these things don't matter. In the grand scheme of things, they shouldn't as long as you're good at what you do.

I'm generally not a fan of tattoos. I can understand if something is extremely meaningful to you and you get that inked on your body, but the vast majority of tattoos I see are dumb meaningless nonsense.

Check out these sick tribal tattoos on my arm bro! Or random flower on a girl. Or the super cringey video game tattoo.

Yeah, something might seem like a good idea at some point of your life, but people change and we grow out of phases.

I am a Corporate Accountant with my bachelors, and I am sleeved on both arms plus tats on my legs. I just wear long sleeve dress shirts all year round at work, and the people that I don't want to do know about my tats I never show them. I have seen several tattoos at my work, but mostly from our Engineers or Software guys. Our HR guy has a couple, but pretty much I'm the only one of the true corporate people that has tattoos. That said someone could be hiding them from me.

Funny I just interviewed a lady for a lower level Accounting spot today at my company. She had a tattoo of a tree on her arm which she was trying not to make obvious. She had no idea that I was covered in ink.

How? It is literally the correct word to describe what will happen.

Generally speaking, "discrimination" carries the connotation of acting on the basis of something the subject has little to no control over. Discriminate against a race, or a gender, or a religion (maybe that last example is a bit tenuous). Most everybody has the power to choose whether or not to tattoo a sick ass spider on their foreheads.

Yeah, the dictionary definition fits.

Mesoian

I'm planning on getting a sleeve this fall, but when I told my mom, she just went "Oh no, then you'll have to cover it every time you go to an interview or somewhere classy".

I kind of chuckled at the concept, considering a lot of people nowadays have tattooes.

But still, does it happen?

Anyone with any experience?

Don't go to Japan. Had a few friends refused to be served at some restaurants because of their ink.

Why would a director need to dress and look conservatively? It's a creative profession.

Unless you've already made it, you still have to look the part.

When you're a success, you can do what you want. When you're still selling yourself to studioes, trying to get projects off the ground, getting judged by those who control the pursestrings because you have some ink is something you never wanna deal with.

Not everyone is cool with it, even if it shouldn't matter.

Disclaimer: I'm speaking as an older member of the "establishment" here.

Whenever I see someone with a tattoo all I can think of is, "How are you going to feel about that in 10 years, 20 years, 30 years...". Tattoos are very trendy right now. But trends are constantly changing over time. You can change your clothes, the color and style of your hair, the car you drive, etc., and none of those things are permanent. Most people as they get older (me included), look back and laugh and think "I wore that?". But I don't have to wear "that" anymore.

Not so easy with a permanent tattoo. What's a trend now may fade in a few years. I'd think about that before making a permanent change to your skin. Whether or not your tattoo has a story is irrelevant, I won't know it from looking at it. And chance are you aren't going to tell that "story" to everyone who sees it. So people will make their own assumptions of what your ink means. They won't all be favorable.

And yes, seeing someone with a tattoo immediately affects my perception of them. At the very least, I assume they have limited foresight and likely poor judgement.

Disclaimer: I'm speaking as an older member of the "establishment" here.

Whenever I see someone with a tattoo all I can think of is, "How are you going to feel about that in 10 years, 20 years, 30 years...". Tattoos are very trendy right now. But trends are constantly changing over time. You can change your clothes, the color and style of your hair, the car you drive, etc., and none of those things are permanent. Most people as they get older (me included), look back and laugh and think "I wore that?". But I don't have to wear "that" anymore.

Not so easy with a permanent tattoo. What's a trend now may fade in a few years. I'd think about that before making a permanent change to your skin. Whether or not your tattoo has a story is irrelevant, I won't know it from looking at it. And chance are you aren't going to tell that "story" to everyone who sees it. So people will make their own assumptions of what your ink means. They won't all be favorable.

And yes, seeing someone with a tattoo immediately affects my perception of them. At the very least, I assume they have limited foresight and likely poor judgement.

you are exactly the kind of judgemental person i would like to detract away from entering my life via having tattoos :)

No company wants to deal with the jackass that has a tattoo of snow white getting screwed by the seven dwarves on the office. And someclown will talk about Fred speech

FrigidEh

I work in Finance and have a wolf on my left inner forearm. If I don't want you to see it, you won't. My brother has sleeves and I wouldn't recommend that if you want to work in an office but if someone is going to judge you for some small tattoos then I think they have a bigger problem than you.

People also always give me the cringey "How will you feel about it in 10,20,30 years" and I always tell them that the tattoo represents me at a point in my life and, as long as its not offensively bad, I think that's the best way to look at it.

Some people want to keep moving forward in life and forget about who they were and other people appreciate where they came from. Not that you have to get a tattoo for that.

At work a lot of union/field guys have tattoo; and none of the management have tattoo, this include a lot of white collar clerical support positions.

So... figure that one out yourself.

I plan on holding onto my current job for as long as possible given my bosses are a married couple who were basically hippies and built several hundred of those tricked out vans with huge graphics on the side that were all the rage back in the 70s and 80s. They give zero fucks about tattoos, which is great cuz I plan on getting sleeves eventually.

Depends. I have a coworker with a back/shoulder tat in corporate and no one cares. It's visible due to her wearing dresses during the summer. Our UX guy has arm tattoos.

Personally I wouldn't get anything visible. Because not every corporate culture is the same.

GatorBait

It's going to depend solely on your profession and/or the company where you work. Best bet is to be able to cover them with a button-up shirt, so that they're not visible in interviews. After you get the job, you can always ask HR what their policy is regarding visible tattoos. If you're not client/customer-facing, the company may have no problem with it, even if it is a "white-collar, corporate" gig.

lingpanda

My grandfather would always call his tattoos "stupidity marks". He was in the Navy when he got his for reference. Would always remind me to never get them. I'm not a fan of them either.

To me it depends on the content and quality of the tattoo. If it looks like shit like 98% of tats I see in public do, then I would question the person's judgment and decision making skills. If they're willing to put that stupid looking thing on their body for life what kind of foresight and decisions can I expect from them if I hire them?

On the other hand I've seen some stunning tattoos that don't detract from the professionalism of the person at all and were actually impressive and interesting. Those cases are very few and very far between though.

Mung

The reality is that it does impact on how employers will see you, especially in a professional capacity.

dbztrk

I discriminate against people who display tattoos when I interview them for a job because I think it's unprofessional to display tattoos during a interview. If you can't conform for a couple of minutes (however long the interview takes) it says a lot to me about what I could expect if I were to hire them.

Now to be fair, I know times are changing and depending on the type of job a person is being interviewed for (music store, bar, etc.) it would be consider silly but I work in a office and it just isn't a good look.

As a tattoo'd foreigner in Japan, I have experienced limited discrimination, but nothing to the level of my tattoo'd Japanese friends regularly do. There's a certain acceptance here that as I'm a foreigner, the normal social rules don't apply to me, and this can be bother a blessing and a curse. On one hand, it's kind of nice to be automatically exempt from certain situations / conditions etc, but on the other hand I work really hard to try and fit in and any sort of discrimination be it positive or negative, seems disappointing.

Minamu

I'm working for a security company and there are plenty of guys or various ethnicity with sleeves and tattoos all over here, doesn't seem to be a problem at all. Probably helps them a lot actually, although they usually wear covering uniforms. Although I don't know if one guy in particular has any tattoos, he has gone from being a group leader to some kind of bodyguard for royalty recently. My own group leader has two sleeves and he's absolutely fantastic.

Lime

Not explicitly, but I do notice that a lot of people do look and I wonder how that affects their perception of me.

But I have a lot of tattoos so I don't blame people for noticing.

Minamu

Not explicitly, but I do notice that a lot of people do look and I wonder how that affects their perception of me.

But I have a lot of tattoos so I don't blame people for noticing.
Fuck 'em and their opinions. I don't have tats myself, and probably never will, but that shit is fucked :/ I had no idea this was still a thing outside of Japan.

Several people in here have mentioned questionable decision making skills, but I admire their courage rather than judge them. I'd probably never be brave enough to make that decision myself.

Top Bottom