• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Nice Vald! After war gundam X is one of my favorites. I love Garrod so much.

Easily 2 of the best op of the whole gundam franchise.

Gundam X is at least in my top 5, maybe top 3. Jamil is actually one of my favorite Gundam characters period. I really like his story/arc. Really need to watch this again soon.

I probably also like ZZ more than most. I didn't like the ZZ Gundam at first, but it's grown on me over the years to the point that I'm actually considering getting the Ver. Ka when that releases.

ZZ is worth watching, even though a lot of the designs in it are ugly as all hell.

Gundam X is a fun watch. Probably in my top 5 as well, as it's definitely better than Wing and some other more recent series.

Llyranor

As someone who doesn't think Zeta Gundam is all that great to begin with (Good ideas, poor execution) I think the New Translation movies are generally good. The biggest issues are, as I understand it:
1. The new animation, while utilizing a retro style to 'fit in' with the older 80s animation, don't really succeed. The new animation looks amazing, but sits jarring with the original work.
2. The ending for the third film has been changed, altering what a lot of fans feel is one of the best aspects of Zeta. This change, without spoiling too much, erases the need for Double Zeta's events. Considering though there's a huge gap between ZZ and CCA, and Char underwent a pretty major character shift between the two anyway, CCA could probably still happen? I guess, no matter what it does seemingly erase ZZ from the timeline and is generally considered non-canon.
3. In the effort to cram the series down from 50 episodes to 3 90 minute films, the past is exceedingly fast, certain characters and plot lines are shafted for screen time, etc.

I personally don't feel like 1 is an issue. 2 I have mixed feelings on. As I don't really think ZZ is that good (save for a laugh) I don't mind the ending change, although I do agree it erases one of the more interesting ideas Zeta offered up.

3 I kinda agree with, at least with pacing. The films move at a crazy clip with almost zero down time between fighting and talking. Dialogue is constantly going, with no breaks besides battles and even then most people are motor mouths still. As far as cutting plot lines go I actually feel like the best stuff was kept and if you weren't taking to the original, you probably won't be bothered by what's missing. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Thanks for the details. I might check it out.

1) I love good mecha animation, and Zeta series is a bit dated on that front, so this can only br better, even if the differences would be jarring
2) From what I understand, Char isn't even in ZZ, so it'd be a big jump either way, so I guess it doesn't really matter for me.
3) My main gripe with the series was character plots getting too much screen time, so this may work in the trilogy's favor

muteki

I really can't stand Zeta ANT, but I saw the series many years prior and consider it really high on my favorites list. If it were the other way around and I wasn't aware of what was cut/changed, it is an okay set of movies I guess.

I don't consider it as much an alternative for the tv show like I do 0079, but if time is a problem and it is either watch the movies or nothing, watch the movies.

Wait, does Kamille not get slapped enough in ANT? Not sure I want to watch it now...

If they chop it down as much as they do then yeah Kamille gets slapped less.

It's been a few years since I watched it, and I don't plan on viewing it again until I get there chronologically in my Release Date marathon of Gundam, but I think Jaded is right that he's slapped less. Conversely, I think with the cuts Kamille deserves it less, so it balances out, but I can't be sure if I'm remembering it correctly anymore.

Oh man that was a great second episode. Maybe it's just me but I initially thought the white haired mercenary lady, with the red zaku-ish mobile suit, was going to be a minor villain for a few episodes.
I have seen the first 9 or so episodes, but it was... god over 10 years ago.
Was slightly shocked how unceremoniously she's killed. The episode god a tad melodramatic with Tiffa's scream at the end, but I do really enjoy how dark and bleak this series is so far. Would probably watch the third episode right away if I didn't need to get back to BLAME!

Gundam X kinda just goes through a lot of minor characters, get used to it haha. Which is weird because their designs tend to stand out.

On episode 21 of Turn A, there is surprisingly little fighting in this show, but I really am enjoying the world they got going here. Love the soundtrack too of 1850~1900 era deep south inspired rifts. A few characters have typically poorly written things. Namely Ensign Poe and Shochie. Both are weirdly inconsistent compared to everyone else, and I have a feeling "lady problems" is the excuse here. Poe is constantly crying and commenting how no one takes her serious (your an ensign, everyone you keep yelling at out ranks you and by definition does not have to listen to you) and she makes bad decisions that only got called out in the second episode, but not since. Sochie had a moment of seeming growth and maturity when it looked like she realized people in the mobile suits are dying when they are destroyed, even the enemies. She asks Loran to go with her to help someone, an enemy pilot, then gets sad when Loran tells her there is no point, they are already dead. Then the next time shes blood thirsty we should kill them all, then reflecting on killing people, then its back to wanting revenge and killing them...

It only stands out because everyone else is so measured and fairly well written and consistent in their thinking and lines compared to them. Also Queen Diana, shes broken into my top 10 Gundam ladies list cleanly at this point. She might enter my top 5 soon, maybe top 10 characters in general.

MG Blitz is done, but I'll wait and post an image once I'm done with the Aegis. Which, by the way, I am most certainly going to take my time on. I've already done the torso and head and it's something else.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think Unicron is beyond ugly untransformed and pretty damn ugly when transformed. Easily the worst Gundam. Other Pantheon members include ZZ and Endless Waltz Sandrock.

MG Blitz is done, but I'll wait and post an image once I'm done with the Aegis. Which, by the way, I am most certainly going to take my time on. I've already done the torso and head and it's something else.

Yup, sounds like Aegis alright.

ZZ indeed is one of the ugliest one lol. But ZZ had the best best best Neo Zeon MS baby.^^

And, Unicorn is not that bad bruh.^^ It looks cool during motion too.^^

Agreed, ZZ is nonsense but Neo Zeon had some nice looking suits there. Also one of the few things that passed on to other series.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
For everyone here interested in giving Gundam VS a shot - Gundam Versus month-long, hour-a-day demo begins June 1 in Japan

Yesterday I checked out the 4 hour trial which was available for everyone who applied to the Closed Beta back in February. After about an hour with it, I have to say that it's definitely a Gundam Versus game. I'm far from an expert on it, but it feels almost exactly the same as the previous games, for better or worse.
I'm not a huge fan of the graphics, because while looking better than previous games in the series, both the models and areas lack... polish? details? Anyway, fun stuff, will definitely grab the full version in a month+

Edit:
Also, the mode introduction trailer is out.

casiopao

Yup, sounds like Aegis alright.

Agreed, ZZ is nonsense but Neo Zeon had some nice looking suits there. Also one of the few things that passed on to other series.

Of course. That Doven Wolf is pure hotness baby.

I think Unicron is beyond ugly untransformed and pretty damn ugly when transformed. Easily the worst Gundam. Other Pantheon members include ZZ and Endless Waltz Sandrock.

I actually like the untransformed more lol. A simple slick white gundam.^^ the full weapon up is fugly as F though.

For everyone here interested in giving Gundam VS a shot - Gundam Versus month-long, hour-a-day demo begins June 1 in Japan

Yesterday I checked out the 4 hour trial which was available for everyone who applied to the Closed Beta back in February. After about an hour with it, I have to say that it's definitely a Gundam Versus game. I'm far from an expert on it, but it feels almost exactly the same as the previous games, for better or worse.
I'm not a huge fan of the graphics, because while looking better than previous games in the series, both the models and areas lack... polish? details? Anyway, fun stuff, will definitely grab the full version in a month+

Edit:
Also, the mode introduction trailer is out.

Would only be able to do the Saturday times, but at least there's that.

muteki

Not a fan of Unicorn and the fact that it has so many derivatives makes it worse. It helps for me if there is a natural progression in design from what came before/after and Unicorn just sticks out like a sore thumb.

ZZ is great, but it needs the anime proportions for it to work.

Unicorn is just kinda there for me. The standard mode is fine, but destroy mode and all of its derivatives just look too "busy", for lack of a better term. Don't really care for the Banshee either. Delta Plus, on the other hand, I like quite a bit (as with anything resembling the Zeta).

I'll be the odd guy out. I actually really like the Unicorn in Destroy Mode. I like how detailed it is and how it kinda deviates from traditional Gundam unit colors.

Beth Cyra

Endless Waltz Sandrock was the only decent Rock in my eyes lol.

Thogh I'll agree on Transformed Unicorn it looks meh most of the time, but I do love Unicorn Mode Unicorn.

I like the green frame Destroy mode Unicorn, but I also see that it's design is a bit jarring when compared to the other Gundam mains. Seems like a strange choice for the next 1:1 state outside Diver City.

And another +1 for Delta Plus. That's a sweet design.

NEO0MJ

Speaking of ZZ and Haman, why didn't she get a new mobile suit in the end? I didn't watch ZZ but I always found it strange that she didn't upgrade, even though her minions got new toys.

Speaking of ZZ and Haman, why didn't she get a new mobile suit in the end? I didn't watch ZZ but I always found it strange that she didn't upgrade, even though her minions got new toys.
Her Qubeley was probably her best friend either that or the staff was lazy and didn't want to design an upgrade for her. They always could've given her a Paptimus designed Titania.

My conspiracy theory for Unicorn was they made it and Banshee so ugly, especially fully armed mode, just to show how cool the grunt suits looked. Just saying Jesta, ReZel, and Delta units. But dang every time I think about buying a ReZel kit, I have to spend half my time googling which ones are which. They really went all out in making a HG or MG kit for these things.

w6ykb_s-200x150.gif

Still enjoying the show quite a bit, although there's a few plot devices that I feel like don't make too much sense. In episode 2 we learn it's a true dog eat dog world, yet Jamil sends out a signal flare and gets a ton of help. If it was truly a dog eat dog world wouldn't that just be used as a signal for most Vultures to ravage them?

Also man Tiffa is amazing at surviving the big explosion of the complex in Episode 5 and walking out unscathed. Impressive.

Otherwise having a lot of fun with it. Garrod is feisty, though doesn't sit too much from many of the other Gundam protagonists and thinks with his best buddy more than his head. No way he actually loves Tiffa after 4 episodes.

Jamil is probably my favorite character so far, got a bad ass look to him and a noble goal. I also loved the whole notion of "bit mobile suits" Interesting twist/change to the whole bit newtype weapon thing.

Working through this a lot faster than I did Victory Gundam.

casiopao

Well. That would make Haman win the show lol. Considering how even using Qubeley, it is able to destroy ZZ in the end.^_^

EP 1-25 of Turn A finished.

Man this show is good. Still have yet to see what the Gundam itself can really do, but man they went pretty damn deep into setting up this world and situation which I'm digging even more. Loran getting some of those newtype sparks showing is cool too. Excited to see where its going next though really kinda want them to chill out with the side characters, its amazing they get so much back story and scenes but kinda wanna see some more Gundam action now that Loran is getting used to fighting.

EP 1-25 of Turn A finished.

Man this show is good. Still have yet to see what the Gundam itself can really do, but man they went pretty damn deep into setting up this world and situation which I'm digging even more. Loran getting some of those newtype sparks showing is cool too. Excited to see where its going next though really kinda want them to chill out with the side characters, its amazing they get so much back story and scenes but kinda wanna see some more Gundam action now that Loran is getting used to fighting.

opps edit: i thought you finished the series

I'm into it!

Worried that since I still haven't gotten Infinite Justice, if I get this newer one it will blow the old one out of the water (I like Infinite more~)

I don't know how long it will be, but with the sudden focus on SEED for MG kits, I wouldn't be surprised if a 2.0 of the Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice come along one day. Just depends on how patient you are.

Only have the legs left to do on the Aegis. And, yeah, I don't think I'm ever going to transform this...

So, when I first started Gundam models back.... over a decade ago, Action Bases weren't a thing. I assume they don't really work with the older models, what are the oldest kits Action Bases work with?

Paltheos

I'm still annoyed they aren't building a life sized Zeta.

That'll be a long time. Bandai still hasn't learned that not every Zeta model has to transform. They learned that lesson for the HGUC Unicorn though. That's why they can build a 1/1 of it.

Unf. MG SEED boxarts continue to deliver.

MG boxart period. The GM Sniper art is p. cool. I'm not as taken by the Providence boxart as most though. I like the idea but think the perspective is too low. I like the premium edition's though.

So, when I first started Gundam models back.... over a decade ago, Action Bases weren't a thing. I assume they don't really work with the older models, what are the oldest kits Action Bases work with?

To quote the wiki: "First introduced in 2006, an Action Base allows Gunpla kits to be displayed in aerial poses. Each Action Base comes with an arm that can be adjusted in height and angle, as well as different adapters for older Gunpla kits that do not have peg holes available."

Going by that, they should work with the older stuff, just have to use the right adapter.

This page has a good breakdown on the different types of bases, and in the pictures you can see the different adapters they come with: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Action_Base

To quote the wiki: "First introduced in 2006, an Action Base allows Gunpla kits to be displayed in aerial poses. Each Action Base comes with an arm that can be adjusted in height and angle, as well as different adapters for older Gunpla kits that do not have peg holes available."

Going by that, they should work with the older stuff, just have to use the right adapter.

This page has a good breakdown on the different types of bases, and in the pictures you can see the different adapters they come with: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Action_Base

Oh of course, I forgot the wiki might have a page on Action Bases. Thanks!

Top Bottom