• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

Kaelan

So i decided to try an Outlander for the gathering bonuses, but i dont understand how people are seeing treasure through walls. Is it a skill I have to purchase or do I have to evolve him first?

Depends on the hero. You'll have to level the Outlander up first to even get the perk and thats if your particular outlander has it. Also, it only shows the first few inches in front of you unless you evolve it and then it can see even further. Plus the double loot perk is amazing, i sometimes get 2-3 gizmos a pop now from a chest or toolbox.

R0ckman

So i decided to try an Outlander for the gathering bonuses, but i dont understand how people are seeing treasure through walls. Is it a skill I have to purchase or do I have to evolve him first?

Researching, it sounds like the pathfinder is the best subclass for material farming and the recon scout is the best subclass for chest farming.

DeaDPo0L84

Depends on the hero. You'll have to level the Outlander up first to even get the perk and thats if your particular outlander has it. Also, it only shows the first few inches in front of you unless you evolve it and then it can see even further. Plus the double loot perk is amazing, i sometimes get 2-3 gizmos a pop now from a chest or toolbox.

Hmm okay, I'll have to look at it more in depth when I'm home. I was going crazy trying to figure it out cause I thought it was an ability straight out the gate with that class.

Wallach

Hmm okay, I'll have to look at it more in depth when I'm home. I was going crazy trying to figure it out cause I thought it was an ability straight out the gate with that class.

There are actually multiple subclasses for each class; the prefix before their name denotes what subclass they are, like Tank Penny has a different set and order of unlocked abilities than Power BASE Penny.

The ability you're looking for with the chest vision is called Keen Eye. There is also a higher level upgrade called Keener Eyes which extends the range that I don't think all Outlanders with Keen Eye have that you'll want. As someone else mentioned, either Recon Scout or Pathfinder are your best bets for farming-focused Outlanders.

Kouriozan

1. Solo play is pretty good, but I'd always suggest playing with randoms.
2. No.
3. Very grindy. But you can unlock enough without paying anything to be more than relevant.
4. Very fun, and yes, I will still probably play all the way to release if support is good.
5. Yes. You can set up a 'friends only' game, but once again I would suggest the two of you join with randoms.
6. Combat is good. The guns feel beefy and husks respond well to shots from powerful weapons.
Yep, the game isn't for me then, I wanted to do the whole thing with my brother like Borderland, but you are making it sounds like we'll miss tons of stuff or have less fun if we did that.

Yep, the game isn't for me then, I wanted to do the whole thing with my brother like Borderland, but you are making it sounds like we'll miss tons of stuff or have less fun if we did that.

You won't be missing stuff you'd just be making it unnecessarily hard on yourself by going 2 players below the count.

Neverfade

Are Lead Survivors just random? I'm seriously held back on my power level because I just don't have enough to fill slots. I have all unlocked but I only have two to slot. I figured I'd get some more in Llamas so I spent my V coins and bought about a dozen and... I still just have two.

Damaniel

Banned
This game looks super interesting, but the Fortnite subreddit makes it pretty clear that advancement past a certain point effectively requires paying money. Is it actually that bad?

Note that I'm not opposed to spending money in F2P or even paid games (one could almost argue that I do a little too much of that), but gacha mechanics turn me off immediately. There's so many other ways to make money from a game without turning it into a lottery.

Archpath1

Are Lead Survivors just random? I'm seriously held back on my power level because I just don't have enough to fill slots. I have all unlocked but I only have two to slot. I figured I'd get some more in Llamas so I spent my V coins and bought about a dozen and... I still just have two.

Yea well. Everything is super rng, I have a few, at least 6, but the jobs don't match, I only have up the the engineer squad.

Yes they are random. You'll get some from quest progression though, like at least an epic doctor.

You'll eventually get the option to transform schematics into survivors, just like weapons, traps, etc..

darkwing

This game looks super interesting, but the Fortnite subreddit makes it pretty clear that advancement past a certain point effectively requires paying money. Is it actually that bad?

Note that I'm not opposed to spending money in F2P or even paid games (one could almost argue that I do a little too much of that), but gacha mechanics turn me off immediately. There's so many other ways to make money from a game without turning it into a lottery.

at what point is it? I guess if you are unlucky and didn't get a rare hero , but you will get a few since the game gives you coins early to buy the llamas , i haven't even evolved a hero past 2 stars yet , wow those guys must have played non-stop

R0ckman

at what point is it? I guess if you are unlucky and didn't get a rare hero , but you will get a few since the game gives you coins early to buy the llamas , i haven't even evolved a hero past 2 stars yet , wow those guys must have played non-stop

People are saying mid plank? I'm not sure where I'm at as I'm a bit past energy level 19, but you can make progress just by farming levels, skill points power you up too.

darkwing

that is what I figure also, isn't 1 star equal to 10 levels? so rares can go up to level 40? people are already reaching that ceiling? wow

KodaRuss

They really need to have a customizable HUD. There is way too much shit on there and most of it is too big. My resources shouldnt have to be always on the screen and all the objectives should be smaller and again not needed on the main screen at all times.

Archpath1

that is what I figure also, isn't 1 star equal to 10 levels? so rares can go up to level 40? people are already reaching that ceiling? wow

True but stars are gated by a quest and the skill tree.

People need to focus on all aspects of the game to get a strong character, hero lvling, survivors, support hero lvls...etc
Comes in handy

R0ckman

I mean in the skill tree, I'm not seeing anyone with 4star heroes. I have one ready for a 3 star evolution but its blocked by needing a few more nodes on teir 2 bought. Also some of the hard content can be played with a group of 4 people with powered up characters and weapons. I completed a level 40 last night with random guys. Was actually crazy fun.

KodaRuss

Is there any reason to hold onto llamas before I get to a higher level? Do your chances of getting higher end gear go up as you level?

Is there any reason to hold onto llamas before I get to a higher level? Do your chances of getting higher end gear go up as you level?

Everything is based on rarity and levelling up the schematics yourself. You do not receive crafting materials in llamas which is what is used after levelling up and evolving schematics so really there is no reason at all to hold onto them. There is no higher tier of gear aside from upgrading them yourself.

Some random just said in chat, "alright, let's get this show on the road", started the objective with no base, and it almost got instantly destroyed. Wtf

Going to be buying this tomorrow, but...do I stick with the standard edition at £32.99 or do I plump for the deluxe at £49.99. Is it worth the extra money? I could potentially put that £17 towards Dino Frontier on Tues..

Going to be buying this tomorrow, but...do I stick with the standard edition at £32.99 or do I plump for the deluxe at £49.99. Is it worth the extra money? I could potentially put that £17 towards Dino Frontier on Tues..

Definitely just the base version. Part of my reasoning was not wanting to feel like I was paying to progress in the game. I wanted to start from scratch to get a sense of earning my way through the game. One of my friends got the most expensive pack and he started with a legendary character. I think I would get more excitement out of opening a llama one day and getting my first legendary versus being handed one.

P.S. I am by no means disparaging others for choosing whatever version they chose. I am just speaking from my experience.

Just a heads up if anyone is interested. Since I don't think my friends would play much more then a couple days if I gave them friend codes I have 2 that I'm parting with for $25 each if anyone is interested. On PSN but can be used to get on PC as well!

tuna_love

Banned
Just a heads up if anyone is interested. Since I don't think my friends would play much more then a couple days if I gave them friend codes I have 2 that I'm parting with for $25 each if anyone is interested. On PSN but can be used to get on PC as well!
ill buy one if it works on pc

Do they only work with US psn?

ill buy one if it works on pc

If you have a PS4 to accept the code you then can link your epic account on PC to the PS4 account and it'll allow you to play on both.

Do they only work with US psn?

Honestly I don't have an answer for this otherwise I would've replied saying I could hopefully save you a few bucks!

Part of me wants to say yes since when you give someone an invite code it's a message that they just accept and have access... but I don't know if it's barred by EU/US PSN.

Maximus P

Your not going to miss anything. But you will find progressing harder. I don't really like playing online co-op games with randoms normally but this game is different; People in fortnite games generally do their own thing and go off exploring and focus on their own tasks. It's only at the end of the game does everyone come together to achieve the final goal of defending a certain structure.

I played for a whole evening with a friend and we had a really enjoyable time. We helped each other find mats, crafted each other weapons and came together at the end to build the structure. We almost forgot that there were 2 other people in the game.

tuna_love

Banned
If you have a PS4 to accept the code you then can link your epic account on PC to the PS4 account and it'll allow you to play on both.

Honestly I don't have an answer for this otherwise I would've replied saying I could hopefully save you a few bucks!

Part of me wants to say yes since when you give someone an invite code it's a message that they just accept and have access... but I don't know if it's barred by EU/US PSN.
oh i dont have a ps4 :(

I'll take one if you still have. I do have a US psn aswell, if anything it'll save me from spending money on microtransactions lol

Quonny

After getting really into the game for the first couple hours, this game gets really boring really quick.

The mission layout is awful. Any mission that requires you to defend your home base has to be repeated per person. The tutorial is super long for no reason and is poor. Play/Map need to be merged onto one screen.

Systems are incredibly complex and unexplained. What is a survivor personality? What is my power level and what does it mean? Why does the game not explain what ammo costs when the ammo crafting tutorial pops up?

The fact that you 'have to' play with randoms is a major bummer. The game should scale with the player count. Almost every other game has scaling content is some way, but this doesn't.

The weapons are incredibly boring. Looking at the collection it just looks like you get the same half dozen pistols that kinda shoot the same and the same half dozen assault rifles that just have some numbers tweaked.

The class system is completely stupid. First off, you can pull classes from lootboxes that you can't play for dozens of hours. Also, why would you invest any experience in a blue class when you can pull the purple or orange version later? I hate feeling like I'm wasting a resource. I understand that you do that so you're stronger in the short term, but man it feels like a waste.

I dunno, I'm extremely let down by this. Early access, I know, but I just have absolutely no desire to log on and play.

Top Bottom