• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

Tei

Neo Member
I wish the energy bar didn't exist...

Fully agree. I want to run everywhere and perhaps double jump.

So much that I have switch my main to a ninja. Not 100% this but is near the dream. The awesomeness of the ninja is limited by the stupid stamina bar. Is a really atrocious idea. The game don't need a player nerf, the mobs are risk big enough on the high level.

Damn 200 inventory impressive must be deep in those research trees!

I think there is a little misunderstanding here..

You have 3 storages.

Inventory - that's where you keep all your cards, survivors/schematics etc - that I think increased with the version you bought - mine is currently 300

Backpack - this is the one in gameplay. There are both skills and research that increase it. Mines at 65 currently.

Storage - This is at your base. There is a talent or skill that does increase it - mine started at 5, but is now 10.

Soi-Fong

So I have the $20 off thing. I'm planning on getting the Deluxe Edition. Say, if I really like the game, can I upgrade to the Super Deluxe or Limited Edition?

I think there is a little misunderstanding here..

You have 3 storages.

Inventory - that's where you keep all your cards, survivors/schematics etc - that I think increased with the version you bought - mine is currently 300

Backpack - this is the one in gameplay. There are both skills and research that increase it. Mines at 65 currently.

Storage - This is at your base. There is a talent or skill that does increase it - mine started at 5, but is now 10.

Ah ok yeah that makes much more sense!

I'm sitting at 500 inventory, and 80 backpack so thinking he meant 200 backpack I was like damn nice haha. Now I think about it you probably couldn't collect enough research points to get that high haha.

OMG just bought the super rare weapon Llama and it upgrade to gold!

acPsn9R.jpg

150! Founders coins!

Kind of dumb how early you can get the skill tree unlock to upgrade to tier 3 weapon schematics while simultaneously not having access to the Malachite Ore you need to make them until much later.

I'm fucked as soon as this rifle breaks.

I understand there are people out there who warn you about this, but it shouldn't even be possible to do. This game's pacing is so bad.

Tinúviel

How can a team invents this easy to use building mechanics and forgets adding quick destroy option.It really annoys me.We should be able to delete what we build and it should give us half the resources back.

Btw is there a persistent base building later on in the game?

I been debating on to try to VPN buy the game, if I do how does one get this deal?

$20 off for PC is available to people who previously were in alpha for this game, or was in the EA for Paragon. And it's only PC version there is not discount for any other version.

Why am i shocked that the game didn't keep the "children in a playhouse" aesthetic for final release.

If you're referring to this picture...

7RpVp2I.jpg

This was always something they said inspired the art style... but this picture was done by someone completely not a part of the Fortnite team in fact this picture has been cited as inspiration for many zombie games over the years including Dead Island.

I really thought you could play this game offline but when I saw the "becomes free to play sometime at 2018" it just turned me off :( well at least I can try it for free next year this looks so cool and I love the art style <3

Sarcasm

$20 off for PC is available to people who previously were in alpha for this game, or was in the EA for Paragon. And it's only PC version there is not discount for any other version.

Of course I want PC.

Shame they did the your region is blocked.

I assume the same for when it goes F2P.

Holy shit dude

BTW, I read this here on Neogaf, is it possible to do missions with AI?

Yes. You get a "pad" that you can summon AI with. I *think* these are your "defender" cards - or it might be your "squad" (not in front of the game to be 100%)

Mind you, you also need to provide them with a gun of their class and ammo.

Holy shit dude

BTW, I read this here on Neogaf, is it possible to do missions with AI?

Not in a bot sense at all, but as someone said you can place traps that are defender pads. They don't move far from where they spawn so it's hardly AI that accompanies you the entire time. You'd mostly just do it once you're on the defend atlas part of certain missions. But for ride the lighting or survivor rescue missions the defenders will not really do you any good.

Turkoop

Banned
Not in a bot sense at all, but as someone said you can place traps that are defender pads. They don't move far from where they spawn so it's hardly AI that accompanies you the entire time. You'd mostly just do it once you're on the defend atlas part of certain missions. But for ride the lighting or survivor rescue missions the defenders will not really do you any good.

Yes. You get a "pad" that you can summon AI with. I *think* these are your "defender" cards - or it might be your "squad" (not in front of the game to be 100%)

Mind you, you also need to provide them with a gun of their class and ammo.
Thanks guys, I thought bots are also available, so they can explore the map along with me.
It's annoying to give them ammo, mostly I am out of ammo :p

bounchfx

If you're referring to this picture...

This was always something they said inspired the art style... but this picture was done by someone completely not a part of the Fortnite team in fact this picture has been cited as inspiration for many zombie games over the years including Dead Island.

was it? I'm pretty sure it was made for a kickstarter a while ago that went on to fail. it's a great painting by jason chan. dead island was released before this kickstarter, but I'm not sure when the painting itself was made. I have to assume around the time the kickstarter launched in 2012. I can see it influencing Fortnite for sure though.

edit: looks like it actually hit steam, oh wow. http://store.steampowered.com/app/215550/Zombie_Playground/

yeah... not so hot :/

Anyone figure out how to uninstall Fortnite if you were in the closed alpha but haven't purchased any of the "Early Access" stuff?

The Play button has been replaced with a "Buy" button so there is no drop down to uninstall, there is no entry in Add/Change Programs in Windows and even if you delete the Fortnite folder the launcher keeps trying to download it again every time I use it.

Turkoop

Banned
Has someone already got a crystal weapon ? U don't know how they've been called in English, playing the game in German.

You can see them in the collection book.

Spoo

It's really, really lame that you can have all of these really cool rare / epic and even legendary schematics -- which are really hard to get -- but basically be unable to craft them because *rotating gizmos* are, like, stupidly rare.

Weapons last long enough to fully utilize them for what, maybe 3 missions, before they get to a point where you may need to replace them. Not having a repair is such a *stupid* design thing they've put forward.

I can see myself dropping this game like it's hot if they don't make the gameplay loop more interesting by allowing us to use, frequently, the things we've earned. Either reduce the durability shit so it's not like Dark Souls 2, or increase the drops to craft those items basically as soon as they break.

It's really, really lame that you can have all of these really cool rare / epic and even legendary schematics -- which are really hard to get -- but basically be unable to craft them because *rotating gizmos* are, like, stupidly rare.

Weapons last long enough to fully utilize them for what, maybe 3 missions, before they get to a point where you may need to replace them. Not having a repair is such a *stupid* design thing they've put forward.

I can see myself dropping this game like it's hot if they don't make the gameplay loop more interesting by allowing us to use, frequently, the things we've earned. Either reduce the durability shit so it's not like Dark Souls 2, or increase the drops to craft those items basically as soon as they break.

Gizmos are actually pretty easy to farm though. I mean, mission rewards usually give at least 2 minimum. And sometimes 3-4 if you perform really well. Then you can also get gizmos just opening every toolbox you see. On top of that, encampments, survivors, etc., they sometimes drop crafting supplies which can include gizmos. Lastly, and this avenue I think could be improved a bit, is the expeditions. I think expeditions should take a little less investment, but you do unlock the ability to send heroes on expeditions that reward crafting supplies, which again can include gizmos.

The only time I found myself lacking gizmos is when I die too often cause that damages your weapons equipped.

One way to manage this all is to use the random weapons you pick up. They're usually pretty good although with limited durability. They often come at a high enough level to be used in the zone you find it in.

Rotating Gizmos are not that hard to find - it says it in the tool tip - find them mostly in toolboxes. So every time you see a gararage make sure you reach the toolboxs. This is even easier when you have an Outlander class hero with that eagle eye skill that makes loot glow - it's literally then a matter of walking into a gerage and see if anything is glowing. Load up a mission without a time limit, like Lars or an Atlas and just farm.

Durability only seems to be an issue with 'found' weapons rather than crafted. You will notice that a perk/upgrade of some of the weps is a reduction in durability.

From what I have read, most people are focusing on one hero which is nothing wrong with, but at the cost of neglecting the others.

Go out farming with an Outlander - whom has bonus on strike rate with the pick and highlights objects.

When building your home base, use a constructor whom has a bonus on cheaper mat costs.

Use your Ninja or Soldier when doing missions etc.

darkwing

From what I have read, most people are focusing on one hero which is nothing wrong with, but at the cost of neglecting the others.

Go out farming with an Outlander - whom has bonus on strike rate with the pick and highlights objects.

When building your home base, use a constructor whom has a bonus on cheaper mat costs.

this can't be stressed enough

Getting so lucky today with gold llamas daily timer just reset and my founders llama went to gold and got an awesome legendary pump shotgun!

This was after buying the super weapon llama with my V-bucks from dailies and it went gold!

Grisby

Who is everyone choosing as their hero? I mean, if you got the $60 dollar one or got one in a drop.

I feel like the Ramirez would be my best bet because of shooty-shooty bang bang stuff but I like Penny's Rosie the Riveter art more. Have checked out any of her skills yet but I'm afraid of leveling one up over the other.

When you evolve them do they gain a new outfit or something? Also, if I retire a hero I guess that means I can't use them anymore right?

this can't be stressed enough

It does indeed seem to be a theme on play styles, when this game appears to be geared for multi mains.. e.g.

Who is everyone choosing as their hero? I mean, if you got the $60 dollar one or got one in a drop.

I feel like the Ramirez would be my best bet because of shooty-shooty bang bang stuff but I like Penny's Rosie the Riveter art more. Have checked out any of her skills yet but I'm afraid of leveling one up over the other.

When you evolve them do they gain a new outfit or something? Also, if I retire a hero I guess that means I can't use them anymore right?

As I mentioned earlier, I would *highly* recommend keeping them both and using them as required for the task required. You will also want multiple different class of heros once you open up more expiditions.

And yes, if you retire a hero, a % of hero points is returned and that hero is no longer available.

Edit: and yes, evolving a hero also gains them a new outfit along with a solid stat bump.

Spoo

Rotating Gizmos are not that hard to find - it says it in the tool tip - find them mostly in toolboxes. So every time you see a gararage make sure you reach the toolboxs. This is even easier when you have an Outlander class hero with that eagle eye skill that makes loot glow - it's literally then a matter of walking into a gerage and see if anything is glowing. Load up a mission without a time limit, like Lars or an Atlas and just farm.

Durability only seems to be an issue with 'found' weapons rather than crafted. You will notice that a perk/upgrade of some of the weps is a reduction in durability.

I mean, like, I farm the hell out of toolboxes etc in this game, but the drop rate for gizmos is *really* broken right now. Like, 5 over the course of like 10-15 hours of play. That's really bad, and other people are reporting much less in the same timespan. I saw a post where someone said they got 2 in like 2 days!

It's the only material I am having an issue with. Everything else I have stacks upon stacks, but this is the one I need to craft weapons that aren't green.

So now I'm running around with level 10 greens despite having very cool weapons I *could* make. Not particularly fun. There should at least be a way to repair weapons, I mean, why not?

EDIT:

I'm going to go a little further here. There's probably "late game" problems I'm not aware of -- as of now, I've only got 2 2-star heroes, 7 or 8 epics, 2 legendaries, and am not to the second area yet, so I'm not even remotely late-game. Early game, though, the balance of the weapon durability is a *huge* problem for me. Part of the fun of any loot game is getting something cooler than the last thing you had, and using it! Also, trying out different stuff you've earned through hours of play. Level ups with the weapons are of course gated in the same way everything else is -- to star-up, you need to unlock the proper node. That is gated reasonably. Leveling up individually is of course gated by experience. In point of fact, the difference between a 1-star legendary and 1-star uncommon is *not* super significant.

Getting the material required to craft a epic, nevermind a legendary, takes time. Not only because you need the materials, but because you need to get the drop in the first place -- which is complete RNG. So by the time you finally craft this cool new weapon, you just don't get much use out of it before its kaput!

Again, the bottleneck becomes these rare items you need. Which some people claim they farm fast, but others not at all. But why in the world are we recrafting this stuff over and over? I mean, look at it this way: if I raise the level on my weapon, I have to recraft it. I have to. Considering everything is gated, weapons will *naturally* become less useful as you move forward in the game. So there is already a *completely* reasonable reason to recraft weapons.

The durability issue here is *completely* fucking pointless. It is without need, makes the game *less* fun to play, and is actually so mind-bogglingly time-consuming to maintain, it's putting me off what is otherwise a really cool game. It's Dark Souls 2 durability, except even DS2 had a way to frequently *fix* the durability on the weapons.

Consider also Nioh -- you got so many weapons early on in that game, but the devs realized that weapons durability / breaking is just a stupid, unfun mechanic in what was otherwise a great game. So they dumped it. I would *strongly* recommend if the devs even glance at this board, that weapon durability is pointless as the game is currently built. You already covered why people need to recraft -- because weapons star-up/level-up over time. Don't make us recraft weapons every 3 matches just because we want to use the stuff we *earned* in your game, OR give us a way to repair them that isn't a HUGE resource hog. Give us a choice.

It's partially a loot game. Let us enjoy the loot.

Archpath1

Idk I got a crap ton of fuel cells

I use my weapons based on enemies, strongest gun for big guys/fatties, a fast larger mag gun, and a group/aoe gun

Kaelan

I mean, like, I farm the hell out of toolboxes etc in this game, but the drop rate for gizmos is *really* broken right now. Like, 5 over the course of like 10-15 hours of play. That's really bad, and other people are reporting much less in the same timespan. I saw a post where someone said they got 2 in like 2 days!

It's the only material I am having an issue with. Everything else I have stacks upon stacks, but this is the one I need to craft weapons that aren't green.

So now I'm running around with level 10 greens despite having very cool weapons I *could* make. Not particularly fun. There should at least be a way to repair weapons, I mean, why not?

EDIT:

I'm going to go a little further here. There's probably "late game" problems I'm not aware of -- as of now, I've only got 2 2-star heroes, 7 or 8 epics, 2 legendaries, and am not to the second area yet, so I'm not even remotely late-game. Early game, though, the balance of the weapon durability is a *huge* problem for me. Part of the fun of any loot game is getting something cooler than the last thing you had, and using it! Also, trying out different stuff you've earned through hours of play. Level ups with the weapons are of course gated in the same way everything else is -- to star-up, you need to unlock the proper node. That is gated reasonably. Leveling up individually is of course gated by experience. In point of fact, the difference between a 1-star legendary and 1-star uncommon is *not* super significant.

Getting the material required to craft a epic, nevermind a legendary, takes time. Not only because you need the materials, but because you need to get the drop in the first place -- which is complete RNG. So by the time you finally craft this cool new weapon, you just don't get much use out of it before its kaput!

Again, the bottleneck becomes these rare items you need. Which some people claim they farm fast, but others not at all. But why in the world are we recrafting this stuff over and over? I mean, look at it this way: if I raise the level on my weapon, I have to recraft it. I have to. Considering everything is gated, weapons will *naturally* become less useful as you move forward in the game. So there is already a *completely* reasonable reason to recraft weapons.

The durability issue here is *completely* fucking pointless. It is without need, makes the game *less* fun to play, and is actually so mind-bogglingly time-consuming to maintain, it's putting me off what is otherwise a really cool game. It's Dark Souls 2 durability, except even DS2 had a way to frequently *fix* the durability on the weapons.

Consider also Nioh -- you got so many weapons early on in that game, but the devs realized that weapons durability / breaking is just a stupid, unfun mechanic in what was otherwise a great game. So they dumped it. I would *strongly* recommend if the devs even glance at this board, that weapon durability is pointless as the game is currently built. You already covered why people need to recraft -- because weapons star-up/level-up over time. Don't make us recraft weapons every 3 matches just because we want to use the stuff we *earned* in your game, OR give us a way to repair them that isn't a HUGE resource hog. Give us a choice.

I mean to be fair when you get to legendary/epic weapons they last FOREVER like honestly. I don't even have to worry about crafting a new one and by the time I do I'm pretty much staked with gizmo's. I agree the mechanic is annoying, but once you get some higher level schematics its all easy. I'll also echo the earlier posts: use the outlander class to farm. With the double loot perk + vision for chest you'll be getting gizmos like its nothing. I have at least 20 at the moment and all it takes is a couple matches to get more. I also have a theory that the higher level missions have higher level loot - meaning level 15+ missions will have way more gizmos and better stuff then lower ones. Keep on playing, use outlander to farm, and you'll be set.

I've honestly got about 20 gizmos today looting boxes and bags.

Honestly if you are not spending the first 60% of every mission just farming the hell out of garages and cars for nuts and bolts for ammo, finding your way to the edges of the maps for copper and coal, and checking your daily missions and challenges for things like destroy TVs, seesaws, teddy bears and the like and just really utilising like the i said the first 60% of every mission to just horde farm like crazy then yeah you will run into issues but take the time to break down cars, loot bags, cabinets, boxes, and bookshelf you'll have a near abundance of things you could want to craft or you'll just be missing a few things that you can directly then search for.

Just want to note that mission objectives and survivor and the like should be prioritised as you are looting but the main point stands to just loot and harvest everything that have nuts and bolts and loot anything that asks you to search.

<snip>

I don't know what to tell you, it sounds like I am basically the exact same progression as you - I think in the campaign I'm on page 9 - basically filled all of skill tree 1 and just now need to do the 10 quest.

And I'm sitting here with some odd 13 gizmos in my bag, after crafting 3 new epics just then. The durability hasn't been an issue for myself I'm finding mats faster than using the weps - thou I am rotating basically between shotgun/pistol/lazer and sword.

Maximus P

It seems I've reached a roadblock.

I'm on a mission that requires me to kill a mimic. Does it count if anyone in the party kills the mimic while in a game or does it have to be me that lands the final blow?

In 20+ hours of game play I've only ever come across one. :-(

Edit: I also seem to keep getting matched up with people under level 10 in the level 19 zone. I'm slightly under at 18, but the games are difficult.

Spoo

Weapons do, but the game is built on schematics. That's your valuable loot. That's what you upgrade and plow your resources into. Then you build from the schematics as you need.

Saying schematics are the valuable loot in the game is to sort of miss the forest for the trees imo. Yes, they are *valuable* in concept -- if only because they represent "possible" power -- but they lack value in practice. What matters most is that weapon, when you get it, and how it's used. A schematic without an instantiation is utterly useless.

I have in my inventory many epics, and even a couple legendaries. I do *not* craft them. Not because I can't, but because the way in which the durability system in this game works, I am disinclined to spend my limited and valuable resources on weapons that will not last any meaningful amount of time, and considering that the fundamental difference in power between these weapons at parity of rare or even uncommon weapons, is marginal at best.

This isn't fun. The fun thing to do is gather some resources, and then get your cool weapons, and *use* those weapons until the content in the game requires you to *recraft* them at a higher level.

Games with durability systems are fundamentally flawed. Good games realize that durability is boring and annoying, and provide ways of circumventing that. This game doesn't.

I've been playing with a friend the entire time, and a mission goes like this: "Wowza! I just crafted my new hot epic gun! Lets go do a mission!"

*Mission ensues*

"Hey, man, the durability on this gun is at 50%. I probably need can only play 1 or 2 more missions max before I need to go find more mats."

"Hey, you know what, this sucks ass. I'm just going to craft like 5 greens and cycle between them, because they are cheap and just as effective if I level them up."

And it's like this for both him and myself. We're both not getting mats -- primarily the Rotational Gizmos. We're looking for those -- we know where you (hypothetically) find them. They don't drop. And when they do drop, it almost doesn't matter, because they need to drop like 2 more times before you can even craft one really cool epic gun.

IF they removed the durability system, it would not unbalance the game a single iota. The reason it wouldn't unbalance it, is simple: you have to recraft the gun *any* time you want a higher level version of it.

----

The irony is that this is early game issues. Look around the internet, and you'll find people complaining about MUCH more important topics, such as the ridiculous pay gate the game has after the V-bucks start running out. The devs are mum about these more important issues, but I'm just trying to enjoy the cool new loot I *thought* i had, but it turns out the potential power I have is so transient it barely feels like I even have it.

My friend got rid of a bunch of his green weapons because once he got blues and purples he thought why would I ever need these? Welp... cut to him running around *praying* for greens instead of anything else, because he and I are locked out of really getting comfortable with new weapons before they are busted.

As for people who have like 13 of these things (rotational gizmos), if you, right now, crafted 3 epic weapons, you would be about about 7 of them. Do this twice, and those items are all gone. If you *think* you can outpace, in a natural setting, the loss of these items, I feel you are mistaken unless you are an RNG god. After all, these items mostly occur in treasure chests and toolboxs. How many of those exist per map? (Not that many). Now divide that number by 4 -- that's how many you get per level (if playing with 4 people). Now realize that at least (and this is being *realllllly* leniant) 2 out of every 3 of these toolboxes is *NOT* the item you are looking for.

This would all be fine without the durability system. With it, it's a punishment from hell.

Top Bottom