• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

Wallach

It's soooooo goddamn easy and smooth to just build on a whim (like just reaching high places), but it's also flexible enough to actually craft cool looking, elaborate structures. No game with manual building has ever managed to get me to care about it before. I'm pretty impressed.

Tecnniqe

Banned
not even on the first 2 pages of Neogaf gaming. Bomba. Just saw that this was out on facebook.

gonna read some impressions now.
tenor.gif

Tei

Neo Member
It's soooooo goddamn easy and smooth to just build on a whim (like just reaching high places), but it's also flexible enough to actually craft cool looking, elaborate structures. No game with manual building has ever managed to get me to care about it before. I'm pretty impressed.

yea, they nailed it, I could run and withouth slowding down place a ramp that I need.

too bad things like creating a chest high wall is complicate, it does a very hard thing and make it easy, but is not perfect. maybe a perfect system is imposible.

the missions where you build 3 radars help people understand the system better, Is cool that the game even have a game subtype to lean

Xater

Now that I am in the second region the feeling is creeping in that I am spending way too much time gathering and in menus compared to the actual fun parts.

Keric

UW needs proper support

Agreed. The zoomed in FOV made me motion sick real quick. I had to use this hack:

Add to the engine.file this under the last line:
[/Script/Engine.LocalPlayer]
AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV
Engine.file should located in:
X:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\FortniteGame\Saved\Config\WindowsClient

It's much better now. Though a little too wide now for my liking. An official fix would be great.

Tei

Neo Member
Now that I am in the second region the feeling is creeping in that I am spending way too much time gathering and in menus compared to the actual fun parts.

What is the age recommendation for this game? there are parts in the second area that are seriously creepy.

The first area is cartoon violence. But on the second area the sounds and general feeling is unnerving.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Agreed. The zoomed in FOV made me motion sick real quick. I had to use this hack:

Add to the engine.file this under the last line:
[/Script/Engine.LocalPlayer]
AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV
Engine.file should located in:
X:UsersUSERNAMEAppDataLocalFortniteGameSavedConfigWindowsClient

It's much better now. Though a little too wide now for my liking. An official fix would be great.
Yeah I noticed the engine solutions seem to mess with the building aspect of stairs, it's so hard to aligne them on top of each other.

Xater

What is the age recommendation for this game? there are parts in the second area that are seriously creepy.

The first area is cartoon violence. But on the second area the sounds and general feeling is unnerving.

I have no idea.

so.... its $40 now and then it'll be free to play later? :/ 40 bucks?!!!!! How long before it's free (oh 2018....). Damn if its cheaper, I'd buy it. $20 or even $25= RN - I paid early access money for the Tomorrow Children and got burrrnnned!!

watching the gameranx video and I ... dunno... game looks fun though

if you bull rush (ability) a charging zombie. you take no damage. i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure i didnt' take damage. my shield stayed the same.

Redshirt

Banned
Love this game, but I'm feeling a little annoyed that I can't (won't) play as the class I really want to. I have an epic smoke / assassin / poison ninja card, so I'm using it even though I'd kind of rather play as one of the other characters. Yes, I have a rare card for them, but I want a purple at least before jumping lol.

Otherwise great game. RNG is just killing me.

I saw I discussion about this on Reddit too and agree it's not ideal.

Maybe give everyone one of each basic class so they can try it and play what they want.

Otherwise, loving the game too.

So my sniper used to have a scope and doesn't now that it's almost broken. That tied together or did I press a button? I'd love to be able to take it off at will.

Anastasis

so.... its $40 now and then it'll be free to play later? :/ 40 bucks?!!!!! How long before it's free (oh 2018....). Damn if its cheaper, I'd buy it. $20 or even $25= RN - I paid early access money for the Tomorrow Children and got burrrnnned!!

Check b/s/t thread. Some folks were selling copies for $25 last I checked.

Tecnniqe

Banned

If you're willing to pay $25 I got a key

When you link the account at Epic you should.

Yep. Basically if you go into your account on Epics site, or make one and go to account management there's an option to link accounts. Once your ps4 and PC accounts are tied you're basically given both copies.

I bought it on ps4, linked my account and booted it up on PC.

Xando

Yep. Basically if you go into your account on Epics site, or make one and go to account management there's an option to link accounts. Once your ps4 and PC accounts are tied you're basically given both copies.

I bought it on ps4, linked my account and booted it up on PC.
Do you keep your progress or do you have to start new on each platform?

Sness

Banned
I don't know what he's having an issue with but it's only base denfenses that don't share completion the others do. Only thing is, if the mission objective is to collect a number of something you actually have to do that to get credit. Like the 5 tape missions each player needs to collect AFAIK. But quest completion is for all aside from solo Base defenses.

It's just weird that if I want to play with a friend(s), we can't all get the completion for certain missions. Still seems like a strange choice to me, but maybe it's just one of the many confusing systems that will hopefully become clear as I play more lol. On PC the controls and gameplay feel good, the shooting has a lot more weight than I anticipated.

J3ffro

Do you keep your progress or do you have to start new on each platform?

Progress is kept from one to the other. Trophies on PS4 might be a little wonky (some things that I had already done popped, others did not).

It's just weird that if I want to play with a friend(s), we can't all get the completion for certain missions. Still seems like a strange choice to me, but maybe it's just one of the many confusing systems that will hopefully become clear as I play more lol. On PC the controls and gameplay feel good, the shooting has a lot more weight than I anticipated.

It's because your storm shield is not your friend's storm shield. If your friend has built an elaborate defense, and all you've done is thrown up a couple walls, you haven't advanced it.

I don't necessarily agree with the logic, but I follow it.

If I have a weapon, but not a schematic for said weapon, can I turn the wep into a schematic? If so, how?

Nope. Weapons that you find out in the world, or are given by friends, are only that individual weapon. You have to get the schematic separately.

Kard8p3

lmao, just got a gold llama with a legendary assault rifle, 2 epic leads, an epic survivor, epic shotgun and epic pistol, as well as a bunch of rare stuff. gotdam

edit: best place to find rotating gizmos?

Vic_Viper

After playing the game the last few days, Ive really enjoyed the actually gameplay, but I still have no idea what im doing inbetween. There are menus ontop of menus and more are constantly unlocking when I still have no clue what the last one was for lol. I thought I was still in tutorial mode but apparently the tutorial was only the first set of quests/missions.

Does anyone have a link for a good guide/youtube video explaining the game loop and menus?

Is there a place in game where I can just go and build on my own whenever thats bigger than that first zone you unlock in the tutorial?

Is there a mode where its just a sandbox of sorts? Like a place where you can build as long as you want and then activate the shields causing the horde to come and then after have another phase to start building again and repeat?

Archpath1

Dude those little husks keep surrounding players and get you stuck in a pit of punches, almost died
Falcon punched them with my outlander

best place to find rotating gizmos?
I think mechanical objects, if you hover over it on a crafting tab ,should give you a tip on possible locations

Is there a place in game where I can just go and build on my own whenever thats bigger than that first zone you unlock in the tutorial?

Is there a mode where its just a sandbox of sorts? Like a place where you can build as long as you want and then activate the shields causing the horde to come and then after have another phase to start building again and repeat?

There's no free roam/build, you can always go back to your base and tweak it out anytime though
The is no way to do horde mode on its own, you can ask in for high lvl shield expansion those can get crazy and keep doing that

Got to open my first launch event Llama and got an epic scopeless sniper! Exactly what I wanted! On top of that I just got the Rare sniper without a scope too which will be handy if the mats for the epic one are a bit costly right now.

Honestly I don't know what to tell you, the base defense missions are unique instanced missions where you are doing something to upgrade and expand your own instanced base. That's why only the leader get credit for that one, you are doing something unique for your own plot of land.

It makes sense why it works that way. Why would expanding the shield on someone else's unique base automatically complete it for the other members "unique" bases... that's kinda silly IMO it makes sense for all the other open world areas since well everyone is in the same unique space... but when doing a solo base defense mission which is what they are called "solo" when friends help you with those missions it's called asking for help, they are helping you expand your unique area.

Every other mission in this game shares completion and can be done with friends and all get credit.

lmao, just got a gold llama with a legendary assault rifle, 2 epic leads, an epic survivor, epic shotgun and epic pistol, as well as a bunch of rare stuff. gotdam

For me it's been mission rewards. I prioritize doing missions with gizmos as a reward, usually get 2-3 plus any I find on the map.

Otherwise, open every toolbox you see. And chests.

Kaelan

Chest or searching mechanical items (toolbox, etc)

not even on the first 2 pages of Neogaf gaming. Bomba. Just saw that this was out on facebook.

gonna read some impressions now.

lol

Archpath1

Quick play is the best, hit that shit and let it consume me.

Ill finish challenges, side quests, gets you more mats and junk, mini llamas from expansions, constant skill point XP.

PRO TIP, they're is XP bar on top in menu screen, if you click that it allows you to use XP boosts for self/team mates.

thatJohann

If I download the free game from the PS Store - will I be able to play even if it's a limited version? or will I be forced to pay to play anything at all?

What do you mean ? Resources to harvest ? Just go into these missions with materials and a decent never weapon. If you have mats, holding the reload button will automatically craft ammo for your equipped weapon.

but if you run out of ammo during one of these missions, youre donezo

If I download the free game from the PS Store - will I be able to play even if it's a limited version? or will I be forced to pay to play anything at all?

The game launches into a screen that forces you to pay. Unfortunately the link to pay didn't work and I had to search through the PS4 store to find the "add-on" which costs anywhere from $40 to well over $100.

DeaDPo0L84

Well this sucks, completed a quest last night that gave me an option of two different epic schematics. Upon completing I go and pick the one I want but then it lets me choose a second time which I thought was odd. So I choose the same one again and then it errors out on me and kicks me back to the home screen. I immediately log back in thinking it'll let me pick the weapon again but now the quest is gone and it's not under my completed tab either. Really really sucks to complete something only for the game to be like "fuck you" and erase my progress.

The free version is solely for people who already bought into Early Access on PC so they could download the game for Cross play. Since buying on either PC or PS4 get your access to the other.

There is no free public version until 2018.

bounchfx

what country are you in? It says $20 for me for the standard edition

unless you're playing on ps4 and they dont have that maybe? I donno

Top Bottom