• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z: shady, misleading and false advertising.

KKRT00

- Purchased a bat with money and it was useless against the zombies. It dissappeared on death
Thats actually good.

BTW Total Biscuit is so bad player.

Ps. People are complaining here about strange things, like that loot spawn is not really high [good thing] or that melee isnt that effective and from what i remember You need to aim for a head here, that real-time reflections are bugged, or graphics are mediocre [its 10-15$ game ffs].

Stuart444

Watched the entire TB video, this is outrageous. These developers need to be destroyed, why are there no big gaming sites on top of this?

Their "features" list is straight up false advertising, which is [like TB said] against the law in many, many countries.

Well Kotaku has a story on it with comments from the WarZ team. It's how I found out about this (I don't care much about Zombies and that these days so never looked into DayZ or WarZ).

Also only 15 minutes into the TB video and... wow. And not in the good way.

KKRT00

He didn't do anything wrong from what i saw, comparing it to Day Z. The game is just bad.

You mean like standing up when sneaking and do some fast movements and got detected? Or not aiming for head with melee? Have You even played DayZ and sneak there?
He didnt even checked properly UI, so he said that there is no hunger or thirsty indicator, when You can see it clearly next to health.
Or he ate all his supplies twice because he used wrong keys?

I already commented on this in the other thread but this whole operation is completely shady. I gave the game a fair chance but it failed to deliver and everything surrounding the production, direction, and management of this game has been incompetent, scandalous, and tasteless.

I already received a full refund for both copies I purchased (had to file a claim with Paypal for one of them). I feel bad for anyone buying this game right now.

I love the part where his spiked bat barely had any effect on the group of zombies. He got in quite a few good hits, and none of them went down.

Because it's the worse melee weapon in game. The hammer is the best and takes out zombies with 2 hits to the head.

Or the part where he spends six minutes infiltrating a zombie-filled military base, only to find absolutely no useful items within it. (Gotta get that micro-transaction moolah!)

Except nothing useful is buyable in the marketplace with real money. The best melee weapon in the game (the hammer) is only buyable in the marketplace with the in-game currency. You cannot buy guns, medkits, and bandages with real money. Those are either not available on the marketplace or only buyable with in-game currency.

KKRT00

That doesn't change the fact that they were going to charge $30 for it to begin with. Or that they have just re-used assets (it isn't that hard to update some textures..).

But they dont charge 30$, so how is it relevant? And have You ever played any game in beta before?

Dont try to look for problems where there arent ones - like graphics.

Card Boy

Banned
Generally i like his stuff so dont get me wrong but it was an idiotic approach for a first impression vid.

* You can't swim / can't go in water
* If you go down a tiny ass hill knocks off a 3rd of your life.
* People spawn next to you and can kill you
* Map is lifeless compared to Chernarus
* You loose your cash shop items
* There is a cash shop in the first place
* Graphics don't do anything
* No FOV slider
* Graphics options don't do anything
* Stamina drains too fast
* Giving plays a free map
* Move too slow
* Invisible players
* Pop-in
* Zombies bugging out in a place
* Tiny ass world
* 1 hr respawn time
* Ugly ass graphics
* Bad animations
* Advertising features that don't exist

Thats all the stuff i got from that first impressions vid alone, who knows what other BS there is. No sure how its an idiotic approach to do a first impressions vid when all of the above where displayed

antitrop

TB's videos are a first impression vids only. He says this in the video aswell.
He never stated it was a game review. He usually plays several hours of a game before recording a WTF Is, but it really is mostly just first impressions and he never has claimed it to be anything more.

Ferrio

Banned
The writing was on the wall soon as the game was announced. The game was announced and quickly released right as DayZ's popularity spiked, if people didn't think that was fishy.. they were dense as hell. Such a quick cash grab, and it dismays me to hell that it actually worked.

remnant

Banned
You mean like standing up when sneaking and do some fast movements and got detected? Or not aiming for head with melee? Have You even played DayZ and sneak there?
He didnt even checked properly UI, so he said that there is no hunger or thirsty indicator, when You can see it clearly next to health.
Or he ate all his supplies twice because he used wrong keys?

It was the first time he played the game, and yeah the first time I played Day Z i made silly mistakes like clicking the wrong keys. Even then no excuse that melee barely worked(and he did hit the zombies in vital places a few times.)

and even then. You can't swim. You can't go down a hill without hurting yourself. Invisible enemies. How can you defend stuff like that?

KKRT00

Are You serious Gez?

Beta complains
* Invisible players [streaming issue]
* Tiny ass world

LOL complains
* There is a cash shop in the first place [he said they will implement it in the first interview about War Z, how is it complain]
* Pop-in
* Ugly ass graphics
* Bad animations
* No FOV slider
* Giving plays a free map [dont even know what You mean by that
* Move too slow

Valid complain

--
It was the first time he played the game, and yeah the first time I played Day Z i made silly mistakes like clicking the wrong keys. Even then no excuse that melee barely worked(and he did hit the zombies in vital places a few times.)

and even then. You can't swim. You can't go down a hill without hurting yourself. Invisible enemies. How can you defend stuff like that?

So You are saying that he could play like retard, because it was his first time even after many hours in DayZ? And what i'm defending? I just said he is bad as a player.
I'm not the one who is making up problems.

El'Kharn

* People spawn next to you and can kill you
* There is a cash shop in the first place
* No FOV slider
* Giving plays a free map
* Move too slow
* Invisible players
* Pop-in
* Tiny ass world
* 1 hr respawn time
* Ugly ass graphics
* Bad animations

Thats all the stuff i got from that first impressions vid alone, who knows what other BS there is. No sure how its an idiotic approach to do a first impressions vid when all of the above where displayed

I agree totally with the things wrong with the game. however having that invisible guy spawn next to him was incredibly bad luck but if he didnt pll his torch out and stand in the guys face he probably wouldn't have gotten killed. His lame attempt at sneaking into one small part of that base was exactly that, lame. Fact is he had no knowledge of the game and did stupid noob stuff. Only an idiot would go into a game without having done at the very least some prior reading. And yes i understand that the internet is full of stupid people and not everyone uses their brains before they get involved in a game such as this.

SJRB

Gold Member
Are You serious Gez?

Beta complains

LOL complains

Valid complain

--

So You are saying that he could play like retard, because it was his first time even after many hours in DayZ? And what i'm defending? I just said he is bad as a player.

This isn't a fucking beta, this is a V1.0, 15 dollar digital download videogame.

Saying "lol complaints" is downright insulting.

One of the game's problem is being so compared to dayz. I had an experience an hour ago with a total stranger that put me into a very HARD time. We enter a town, avoiding zombies, find a gun. he lights them up with the flashlight as I headshot them. Too close sometimes. we go into a ruined house and the chase of zombies continues. Everything was so tense. we made it out of there barely.

Things that would make this game way better:

-zombie animation variety. This is a must for making zombies that feel like a worthy experience. Not the "bro got some meth?" sneaky walk.
-Soundclip rework. The zombies sound awful when chasing you.

I like how the war z is more zombie centered than DayZ (I have enough hours of playtime in dayz to state this as a fact: zombies are only a nuisance because first hit means bleeding, because they clip through walls and because the player interacts with the environment like a point and click adventure game).

Still, announcing features that won'tdo not exist is refund material.

remnant

Banned

Most of the problems have nothing to do with how he played. Is it his fault he got hurt going down the hill? His fault he can't swim. His fault the map is barren and the zombies have none of the tension they have in DayZ

KKRT00

This isn't a fucking beta, this is a V1.0, 15 dollar digital download videogame.

Saying "lol complaints" is downright insulting.

It is beta, its badly advertised as a release and that should be pointed out.

And yeah those are lol complains, 3 times writing about graphics..., and that are ok with very good lighting,
pointing Pop-in, so sue every modern open world game, fuck sue Crysis 1 or Planetside 2 for that,
moving too slow, are You kidding me? it moves ok, how fast do You think character should run
stamina issue? it make it more difficult and realistic, so everything You want from such a game
fov slider? sue half of games on the market
bad animation - yeah, sue Bohemia for that too, or sue Notch or most indie devs
You loose your cash shop items - thats good feature that everyone wanted, how can anyone complain about that
Map is lifeless compared to Chernarus - dont know what he meant exactly, but for me forests look better and cities look better than in DayZ

so yeah, i'm standing behind my opinion that those are lol worthy complains for 10-15$ BETA, because thats what it is and should be labeled that way, so go and ride WarZ and Valve's forums and mails to change that, but dont do witch hunt about every possible thing You dont like.

--
Most of the problems have nothing to do with how he played.
Except for everything i've pointed out right?

Xyber

But they dont charge 30$, so how is it relevant? And have You ever played any game in beta before?

I've played plenty of betas and I sure didn't pay more for the beta than what other people were able to do once it was released.

Are You serious Gez?

Man, you are really defending this game. All of his complaints are valid, the game is released on steam with no mention of it being a beta. Therefore it should be judged as the 1.0 release of the game.

Most of the problems have nothing to do with how he played. Is it his fault he got hurt going down the hill? His fault he can't swim. His fault the map is barren and the zombies have none of the tension they have in DayZ

Have you played the war Z? every time I hear the aggro sound I twitch inside as I'll need to play it VERY WELL with the environment to get away. In dayz it's like LOL HOUSE entrance -> LOL HOUSE exit. 30 zombies lost. 30 zombies that can run faster than you too. Zombies in dayz only give visual glitchy tension. The swim thing is a valid complaint... except for the fact it could be called a missing feature, not a bug. getting hurt going down the hill is stupid. But you know what's even more stupid? Crushing your bones to oblivion opening a door or going trough a doorframe.

I've played plenty of betas and I sure didn't pay more for the beta than what other people were able to do once it was released.

This right here is my problem aswell. So much for regular price bullshit. That's what in my eyes constitutes a scam.

KKRT00

You're on the dev team, aren't you? Community manager perhaps?

Haha, yeah its 3rd game i've been accused of being involved as a dev or CM.

Ok, i'm going to basement for my fork and joining brainless WarZ flame thread without any reasonable discussion...

the game is released on steam with no mention of it being a beta. Therefore it should be judged as the 1.0 release of the game.
I said thats completely valid complain and it should be resolved fast like 3 or 4 times in my posts ..., but rest of complains are beta issues or graphics issues.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.

Ok, i'm going to basement for my fork and joining brainless WarZ flame thread without any reasonable discussion...

Dude, this game is a legit trashcan, and your defense is just as weak as the complaints you are pointing out. I've been in the beta for about 2 months now, and this game is a poor cash-in attempt at the dayz fans. There is no quality to be had here, and GEZ had solid and valid criticisms.

and please don't go around saying we should blame half the industry for things like FOV sliders. This is a PC game, and nobody should be allowed a free pass just because others fail to input it either. They should all be pointed out and criticized.

One of the game's problem is being so compared to dayz. I had an experience an hour ago with a total stranger that put me into a very HARD time. We enter a town, avoiding zombies, find a gun. he lights them up with the flashlight as I headshot them. Too close sometimes. we go into a ruined house and the chase of zombies continues. Everything was so tense. we made it out of there barely.

But we all had that experience when we first started playing DayZ. We panicked and frantically sought weapons or refuge. The longer you played the less that became the case and you didn't care if you died or you could handle the situation. I don't think it's so much the game as it's the fact that it's a new experience.

Have you played the war Z? every time I hear the aggro sound I twitch inside as I'll need to play it VERY WELL with the environment to get away. In dayz it's like LOL HOUSE entrance -> LOL HOUSE exit. 30 zombies lost. 30 zombies that can run faster than you too. Zombies in dayz only give visual glitchy tension. The swim thing is a valid complaint... except for the fact it could be called a missing feature, not a bug. getting hurt going down the hill is stupid. But you know what's even more stupid? Crushing your bones to oblivion opening a door or going trough a doorframe.

Zombies never used to give up in DayZ until people complained enough and Rocket gave them a de-aggro range.

BlackJace

I said thats completely valid complain and it should be resolved fast like 3 or 4 times in my posts ..., but rest of complains are beta issues or graphics issues.

I've had my doubts, but it seems NeoGAF will truly defend anything,

remnant

Banned
--

Except for everything i've pointed out right?

What you pointed out was like 45 secs out of a 30 minute video. Yeah he didn't glance at the UI. Okay I guess the game is fine.
Um it's a pretty huge missing feature, and at the end of the day DayZ can get away with anything as it's free. If the standalone version comes out and is a buggy unplayable mess than i am sure it will be called out as well.

KKRT00

What you pointed out was like 45 secs out of a 30 minute video. Yeah he didn't glance at the UI. Okay I guess the game is fine.

Or whole sneaking and melee part, so most of gameplay relevant features.

and please don't go around saying we should blame half the industry for things like FOV sliders. This is a PC game, and nobody should be allowed a free pass just because others fail to input it either. They should all be pointed out and criticized.
I havent said thats awesome that it doesnt have fov slider, but its common and its not something You define game as complete trash, same as graphics which i find ok for a price point.

I've had my doubts, but it seems NeoGAF will truly defend anything,

Oh wow. So anyone can trash talk everything without any reasonable argument and thats ok, but pointing out stupid complains isnt?
How complaining about average graphics in 10-15$ beta, is relevant in discussion about false advertisement and selling beta as 1.0 title? I dont get it. Arent there any other valid complains or facts to talk about that we should switch to graphics?

Um it's a pretty huge missing feature, and at the end of the day DayZ can get away with anything as it's free. If the standalone version comes out and is a buggy unplayable mess than i am sure it will be called out as well.

Please don't use the "because it's free", as to many of us it wasn't. It was pretty cheap (13€) but not free. And it came with a lot of frustration, bugs, loading times of the forever and so on.

But we all had that experience when we first started playing DayZ. We panicked and frantically sought weapons or refuge. The longer you played the less that became the case and you didn't care if you died or you could handle the situation. I don't think it's so much the game as it's the fact that it's a new experience.

Zombies never used to give up in DayZ until people complained enough and Rocket gave them a de-aggro range.

It's not because of new experience. It's about the interaction with the environment. In dayz you have this BIG scope where you can go anywhere and there's like... HUGE maps. But individually, each place is not that much of an experience (unlike we talk about big cities like cherno or elektro, to place an example). What i'm saying is that walking on streets is dangerous... that being spotted by zombies is dangerous. the inside-building action is the same as the outside action (unlike dayz due to collisions or whatever)

I was there when zombies didn't give up. that was broken. Broken in the way that you're only adding artificial difficulty. Why not keep the zombies the same way but having proper stamina? ohhh, I see ... big maps and the need to explore them. I bet the virus came in cocainum doses.

How many games have a working "cash" shop in Alpha/Betas that don't refund your money later on? Is there a promise of giving your money back later?

I mean don't they wipe characters?

Watching people hate on this game might be more entertaining than WarZ itself. How are these developers ripping off their own game (war, inc). Do you really care they stole a ToS? It's really obvious there are three or four Russians solely developing the game. The guys can barely post a coherent response in their forums, let alone navigate legalese. I think it's more of an issue of incompetence than SHADY SHIT, as evidenced by the forum hack with no backups.

I've been playing since day one. Took a break for a few weeks after Thanksgiving because of it. The game is extremely fun now that rampant hacking has been addressed. It's possibly the most fun I've had with a game, but playing with a group makes it enjoyable. Nothing like entering an area to lock it down for easy supplies. The group on the Something Awful forums set up a market to trade for guns and supplies. It worked out really well and I hope to see more of this.

How many games have a working "cash" shop in Alpha/Betas that don't refund your money later on? Is there a promise of giving your money back later?

Common practice, especially in Asian F2P MMOs, to have the cash shop running in Beta / Open Beta with no refunds or character wipes. Of course they're MMOs and the game is mostly complete at that point so you don't lose your purchases to non-game related issues.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wow at the defense force.

Saying feedback is invalid because it's based on a beta. Funny how it's usually only an issue if the feedback is negative. When someone praises for example PlanetSide 2 in the beta it's all valid but if it's bad it can be ignored. Win-win.

The character wipe has already happened and the funds were refunded.

The developers have also given funds to those who paid for the game before they switched to the new pricing structure, as well as those who were wrongfully banned last week.

Mahonay

Banned
Watching people hate on this game might be more entertaining than WarZ itself. How are these developers ripping off their own game (war, inc). Do you really care they stole a ToS? It's really obvious there are three or four Russians solely developing the game. The guys can barely post a coherent response in their forums, let alone navigate legalese. I think it's more of an issue of incompetence than SHADY SHIT, as evidenced by the forum hack with no backups.
The engine and assets are take from War Inc. What the actual gameplay consists of is directly borrowed/knocked off from DayZ. That's the problem.

If they would have just said "Hey, this is a game inspired by DayZ" I don't think people would not be as angry as they are now. It's the fact they went very much out of their way to try and fool people into thinking they had this idea for a game all along, allegedly before DayZ (which is impossible).

They are profiting on the shoulders of the original work Rocket did, and turning it into something ugly and bland.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Actually they do:
6fd8fc074d7f8aafe72bcca295af44f8da35bcbc.jpg

Good luck trying to defend this scam.

Is it possible to report a game on steam? The game should be removed. This game is clearly not finished, none should buy this game.

Steam must change their policies and test games before allowing it to be sold.

Mahonay

Banned
You know, from the moment WarZ was announced I knew it would end up being some kind of shit show. But I never imagined it would be on this level. Bravo, Arktos Entertainment Group. You've outdone yourselves.

Top Bottom