• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bannon flipflops on altright in craven ef- wait, he didn't know it was on the record?

KingK

Bannon was never an idiot, that's why he's dangerous. His ideology has always been a more subtle evil that makes a few valid and smart points, identifies some very real problems, and then pushes his covert supremacist ideals as a part of the solution. He's spot on with North Korea and makes some valid points with China. But part of his "solution" is pushing through immigration policies that limit non-whites and inch closer to his dream of an ethno-state.

Gorillaz

Dude is the definition of a cartoon villian but still smart. He obviously wants chaos amongst each branch of government and I'm not surprised his geopolitical IQ is decent to great. You still need to be somewhat knowledge about the white house and world.

He isn't though. Don't believe his lies. He's only making this kind of statement because the spotlight is on him after the people he's brainwashed showed themselves to be pure fucking scum. He's only trying to cover his ass. He still believes the same shit those men were marching for.

Oh, he's the same racist shitbag that he was yesterday but I do think that Charlotte and the reaction to it is forcing him to rethink his world domination strategy.

Well that and this trump administration being a complete disaster. I can guarantee you that last November he expected the USA to be a Fascist utopia by now.

He's right about China.

They are investing heavily into AI and gene editing research .
If they beat us to it - I don't know what will happen.
They seem to want to keep expanding their territory and getting into territorial disputes with neighboring countries .

Gutek

He's right about China.

They seem to want to keep expanding their territory and getting into territorial disputes with neighboring countries .

In the meantime, we’re bringing back coal. Lmao

O_Atoll

Not really. His brand of white supremacy isn't that blatant fuckery from last weekend.

It is the kind that comes from the shadows and doesn't draw direct attention to itself.
BS. The guy was on radio spouting off at the mouth. He's not the type to move in the shadows in the past.

moeman

db0.jpg

I know you likely posted this as a joke but using retard as a pejorative is not cool.

zeemumu

Yeah thats actually a well reasoned point.

But calling nazis clowns is diminishing their importance, and masking it. Basically, nothing to see here folks, while they operate behind the scenes. Its been the game from day 1

Suppose it depends on the clown
tenor.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He's right about China.

But they have to start with their inferior yet inscrutable "oriental" genes.

And we are using deep dish Chicago Style editing.

Therefore victory!

numble

Actually it does (which is fuckin weird I have to agree with Bannon) Which is why the TPP was strategically important and why we need Europe to be stronger to contain Putin.

If we are at economic war with China then why did they stop the TPP? That was a huge blow to China and would have "almost" put some entire industries out of business there.

China's economical advance is key but let's abandon the TPP because reasons

How would TPP hurt China economically? Please explain using the provisions of the TPP instead of repeating talking points. It's laughable to say it would put entire Chinese industries out of business. These comments about TPP containing China are always appearing like clockwork, like lines that people were supposed to lap up and repeat.

Joe

Read this short twitter thread to get a little refresher on the 2016 election and realize how full of shit Bannon is when he says "collection of clowns"

https://twitter.com/MikeOngstad/status/897832904369348608

This is crazy. The alt-right relentlessly tries to normalize white-nationalism on every media outlet possible and he's waving them off as a collection of clowns to the public.

I don't think they'll be successful but you're crazy if you take Bannon seriously and put your guard down.

TarNaru33

Banned
He's right about China and NK.
He's still scum but everyone has sold their soul once the move of multinationals to start building stuff in China happened. Now they have the whole world by the balls economically.

Actually he isn't right about NK... NK can not kill 10 million people with even 1 hour worth of artillery bombardment. It will be a lot of lives, but no where near even the million mark.

I do agree with him on China and U.S had a plan to deal with it, but tossed it out.

TarNaru33

Banned
How would TPP hurt China economically? Please explain using the provisions of the TPP instead of repeating talking points. It's laughable to say it would put entire Chinese industries out of business. These comments about TPP containing China are always appearing like clockwork, like lines that people were supposed to lap up and repeat.

It put 40% of the world's GDP into an FTA and locked out the country with the 2nd largest economy.

It would not have put Chinese industries out of business, but it attempts to boost trade of the TPP participants while giving no quarter to China, it is a clear advantage to contain China.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Actually he isn't right about NK... NK can not kill 10 million people with even 1 hour worth of artillery bombardment. It will be a lot of lives, but no where near even the million mark.

I do agree with him on China and U.S had a plan to deal with it, but tossed it out.
Two airplanes got almost 3,000 people in a modern city, doesn't seem hard to believe that a sustained bombardment could hit the millions. especially since Seoul is significantly more population dense.

I know you know what your talking about, so why don't you drop the pretentious asshole act and come out and say why it's an incorrect position. Who knows, maybe you'll be compelling and I'll lap your shit up.

In any case I never said it would hurt China. More like a missed opportunity for us that they're now moving in on. If Bannon thinks it's an "economical war" then it's ground we willingly gave up.

digdug2k

I'm curious what happens to the US as their fear of not being the richest people in the world keeps creeping up. I mean, the rest of the world is just like "Yeah, we're not the richest. That's fine. We've got <insert cultural great thing X>" The US hears that they might not be and its "panic! Everyone panic!".

kirblar

I'm curious what happens to the US as their fear of not being the richest people in the world keeps creeping up. I mean, the rest of the world is just like "Yeah, we're not the richest. That's fine. We've got <insert cultural great thing X>" The US hears that they might not be and its "panic! Everyone panic!".
That's not where the problem is coming from inside the US. People in urban areas are generally pretty happy. It's that rural areas are in a permanent decline and the (white) people living there are losing relative status and they're not happy about it. Same deal as w/ Brexit. They're ok with foreigners... as long as they're a rung below.

kcp12304

Banned
Do these people just call up random journalists and just go off. Like this is national security stuff that freaking North Korea shouldn't ever hear.

numble

It put 40% of the world's GDP into an FTA and locked out the country with the 2nd largest economy.

It would not have put Chinese industries out of business, but it attempts to boost trade of the TPP participants while giving no quarter to China, it is a clear advantage to contain China.

It would easily give China more than a quarter--under NAFTA, the rules of origin rules provided that NAFTA-produced goods needed to 60-62.5% NAFTA-produced to qualify for NAFTA; the TPP lowered that threshold to 30% for most goods and 45% for automobiles--that means for most goods, it can be 70% produced in China (for automobiles, it can be 55% produced in China) to qualify for the TPP. If by quarter you mean 25%, it gave China a 17.5% boost for automobiles and 30% boost for most everything else.

Chapter 30 also specifically provides the procedures for how other APEC members (APEC includes China), so it has a clear expectation that China may join. This is also why some of the remaining TPP members have floated the idea of a TPP 11+China.

Finally, given that the RCEP has been in negotiation for 4 years, the fact that the TPP members are also separately negotiating FTAs with China, and that the US is negotiating a bilateral investment treaty with China, there is no basis in reality to assert that the TPP's expansion of free trade would somehow economically contain China when it 1) will give China access to the TPP via the new rules of origin standards 2) is open for China to join and 3) all countries involved are negotiating separate FTAs with China.

I know you know what your talking about, so why don't you drop the pretentious asshole act and come out and say why it's an incorrect position. Who knows, maybe you'll be compelling and I'll lap your shit up.

In any case I never said it would hurt China. More like a missed opportunity for us that they're now moving in on. If Bannon thinks it's an "economical war" then it's ground we willingly gave up.

I've already discussed it many times before, including above.

GhostBed

Well good thing we decided to pull out of the Paris agreement and let China take the reins on being the forefront of new energy models then huh Bannon?

Exactly what I was thinking. There's no competing with China economically if we're not competing in clean energy.

jiiikoo

Banned
Bannon did not know he was on the record, per Axios. https://www.axios.com/bannons-colle...utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic

lolololololol

Hahahah. You can't make this up.

So we are ment to believe Bannon just called up this reporter to chat and thought this was off the record?

I don't believe for a second this dude would do anything so casually. It seems to me this is trying to position himself as the adult in the room as we are bound to see more shakeups and chaos in the Trump admin. I do wonder who is actually supposed to be impressed.

It was never a secret that Bannon is stupid though. I wouldn't put it past him to be oblivious about being on record.

Somnid

Oh wow, so Trump slipped further than Bannon into the alt-Right shithole? How is that possible?

In other news, he's probably getting fired.

Flo_Evans

So we are ment to believe Bannon just called up this reporter to chat and thought this was off the record?

I don't believe for a second this dude would do anything so casually. It seems to me this is trying to position himself as the adult in the room as we are bound to see more shakeups and chaos in the Trump admin. I do wonder who is actually supposed to be impressed.

TarNaru33

Banned
Two airplanes got almost 3,000 people in a modern city, doesn't seem hard to believe that a sustained bombardment could hit the millions. especially since Seoul is significantly more population dense.

Because artillery bombardment (each shell has less explosive power than 2 airplanes hitting a building and the building only went down because the structure weakened due to heat) is not really concentrated. Not to mention most of the artillery pieces can not reach Seoul.

Yes, I do know it is more dense.

It would easily give China more than a quarter--under NAFTA, the rules of origin rules provided that NAFTA-produced goods needed to 60-62.5% NAFTA-produced to qualify for NAFTA; the TPP lowered that threshold to 30% for most goods and 45% for automobiles--that means for most goods, it can be 70% produced in China (for automobiles, it can be 55% produced in China) to qualify for the TPP. If by quarter you mean 25%, it gave China a 17.5% boost for automobiles and 30% boost for most everything else.

Chapter 30 also specifically provides the procedures for how other APEC members (APEC includes China), so it has a clear expectation that China may join. This is also why some of the remaining TPP members have floated the idea of a TPP 11+China.

Finally, given that the RCEP has been in negotiation for 4 years, the fact that the TPP members are also separately negotiating FTAs with China, and that the US is negotiating a bilateral investment treaty with China, there is no basis in reality to assert that the TPP's expansion of free trade would somehow economically contain China when it 1) will give China access to the TPP via the new rules of origin standards 2) is open for China to join and 3) all countries involved are negotiating separate FTAs with China.

When I said "no quarter" it was a figure of speech.

The idea was to contain China, not block it out completely as it will hurt the economy of the TPP countries as well. Yes, obviously they could negotiate an FTA with China unilaterally, the question is how much of a deal would they get by doing so.

This helped U.S pretty much, and while I agree the effects on China is debatable, it definitely would lock them out for awhile.

If the media had any sense whatsoever, they'd focus on his comments about NK that completely undercuts Trump, thus infuriating him.

But I doubt they will.

iavi

Bannon was never an idiot, that's why he's dangerous. His ideology has always been a more subtle evil that makes a few valid and smart points, identifies some very real problems, and then pushes his covert supremacist ideals as a part of the solution. He's spot on with North Korea and makes some valid points with China. But part of his "solution" is pushing through immigration policies that limit non-whites and inch closer to his dream of an ethno-state.

I was just reading the transcript and thinking the same thing. He's a racist piece of shit, but he's a very smart racist piece of shit--which is all the more dangerous.

I was just reading the transcript and thinking the same thing. He's a racist piece of shit, but he's a very smart racist piece of shit--which is all the more dangerous.

He may be smart, but that doesn't make him competent. You read his views and it all makes sense and he clearly understands China very well. And yet, what has he been able to do in his time at the WH? What influence on policy has he really had?

iavi

He may be smart, but that doesn't make him competent. You read his views and it all makes sense and he clearly understands China very well. And yet, what has he been able to do in his time at the WH? What influence on policy has he really had?

This kind of puts me in the weird situation of beginning to defend the competence of someone like Bannon, which just feels wrong, but at the same; competence is contextual. When the person who makes the final decision is someone with the ego size of a planet like Trump, it's really hard to judge competence of the underlings unless the context by which it's judged is how fondly they can tickle trumps sack into having him do as they please.

He hasn't done so well lately on that front either. Which is better for all parties but Bannon

None of this is a counter to my claim.

It's amazing you think I'm supposed to have read all of your posts before. At least I know it wasn't an act.

mnannola

So he called the alt-right "clowns" and shat all over Trump's North Korea stance. Is this all Trump / Kelly needs to get rid of him?

Isn't SK densely populated?

So yea, Bannon may have shot himself in the foot here.

https://t.co/I38Frqmf2k
This is all sorts of weird. Does that mean he really DOES consider the alt-right neo nazis an expendable thing to be tossed aside? This is a pretty big departure from the white nationalist image everyone for and against him has painted him as. Can't help feeling like this is some sort of elaborate (but not necessarily smart) double agent style PR move meant to throw the media off balance or something.

Top Bottom