• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bannon flipflops on altright in craven ef- wait, he didn't know it was on the record?

This is just coming out from a phone call he had with a reporter yesterday. Some choice quotes below but I'd suggest reading the whole thing. Lots on his views of China and North Korea as well.

http://prospect.org/article/steve-bannon-unrepentant

“We’re at economic war with China,” he added. “It’s in all their literature. They’re not shy about saying what they’re doing. One of us is going to be a hegemon in 25 or 30 years and it’s gonna be them if we go down this path. On Korea, they’re just tapping us along. It’s just a sideshow.”

Contrary to Trump’s threat of fire and fury, Bannon said: “There’s no military solution [to North Korea’s nuclear threats], forget it. Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that ten million people in Seoul don’t die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don’t know what you’re talking about, there’s no military solution here, they got us.”

“To me,” Bannon said, “the economic war with China is everything. And we have to be maniacally focused on that. If we continue to lose it, we're five years away, I think, ten years at the most, of hitting an inflection point from which we'll never be able to recover.”

He dismissed the far right as irrelevant and sidestepped his own role in cultivating it: “Ethno-nationalism—it's losers. It's a fringe element. I think the media plays it up too much, and we gotta help crush it, you know, uh, help crush it more.”

“These guys are a collection of clowns,” he added.

From his lips to Trump’s ear.

“The Democrats,” he said, “the longer they talk about identity politics, I got ’em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

His shifting positions are naked opportunism.

He is right about North Korea and China, but "identity politics" gave him everything and he won't be allowed to shrug it off now his ass is in the whitehouse.

JettDash

”There's no military solution [to North Korea's nuclear threats], forget it. Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that ten million people in Seoul don't die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don't know what you're talking about, there's no military solution here, they got us."

I agree with this view 1000%.

Well, at least, Bannon's 'nationalist/conspiracy theory' White House faction joins the 'adults/career military' faction in having a sensible take on the North-Korea problem. Guess that's positive, coming from 'thermo-nuclear strikes are on the table'... I'll take it,

The negative part is where he talks about gutting State and Treasury to get more ideologues into the mix. That stuff is poison to the institutional memory and morale of those departments.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think he prefers a much subtle white supremacy, he knows that this public display means also a heavier push back against it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
“There’s no military solution [to North Korea’s nuclear threats], forget it. Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that ten million people in Seoul don’t die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons"

I agree with this view 1000%.

Yeah thats actually a well reasoned point.

But calling nazis clowns is diminishing their importance, and masking it. Basically, nothing to see here folks, while they operate behind the scenes. Its been the game from day 1

This is a man who wants nothing more more than chaos in the world. It's his goal.
He's more scary to me than Trump. This guy is smart and one of the most manipulative guys around.
He's right about North Korea though, i think.

Kayhan

Bannon said: “There’s no military solution [to North Korea’s nuclear threats], forget it. Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that ten million people in Seoul don’t die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don’t know what you’re talking about, there’s no military solution here, they got us.”

This is probably the best summary of the situation I have ever seen.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
db0.jpg

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
“Ethno-nationalism—it's losers. It's a fringe element. I think the media plays it up too much, and we gotta help crush it, you know, uh, help crush it more.”

“These guys are a collection of clowns,” he added.

I keep pointing this out but it bears repeating. They are downplaying the racists to get the heat off them.

There's a reason why Trump supporters are so mad at the antifa but won't say shit about Nazis despite one of them ramming their car into Anti-Nazi protesters on video. They're all on the same team.

I keep pointing this out but it bears repeating. They are downplaying the racists to get the heat off them.

There's a reason why Trump supporters are so mad at the antifa but won't say shit about Nazis despite one of them ramming their car into Anti-Nazi protesters on video. They're all on the same team.

Yeah, it's definitely that. They don't want their boys to get put against the wall by the rest of this country that doesn't want Nazis or racists.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
He's not dunking on them.

He wants you to ignore them. If you ignore them, they fester and spread.

This right here. Don't accept any criticism that this administration has on Nazis. Whatever words or actions that comes from them will be minimal at best. They're all complicit.

Pedrito

All the alt-right heroes have disowned them in the last few days and are pretending they never had anything to do with them. Even Mike "gorilla mindset" Cernovich.

Well, all except the God-Emperor himself.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Yeah, it's definitely that. They don't want their boys to get put against the wall by the rest of this country that doesn't want Nazis or racists.

Yeah. This is the guy who ran a news website with a 'Black Crime' section. The only reason he doesn't like Nazis is because they're too bait.

He has a point. If you give ppl better, supercial, economic conditions ("No universal healthcare? Don't worry, here's less taxes, hope you don't get cancer!" an other neoliberal economic policies), they'll forget you are a racist, you support and endorse those people.

That's the sad true, ppl ultmately don't care about that. They will acknowledge that racism is bad, but they don't care their president is racist and is bad for minorities, they'll vote him, because they now pay less taxes.

Laekon

If we are at economic war with China then why did they stop the TPP? That was a huge blow to China and would have "almost" put some entire industries out of business there.

Nafai1123

Banned
Not really. His brand of white supremacy isn't that blatant fuckery from last weekend.

It is the kind that comes from the shadows and doesn't draw direct attention to itself.

It's the "home of the alt-right." Those people were absolutely represented last weekend. They're the polo/khaki/skinny jean/MAGA hat Nazis.

MechaX

Bannon with stronger words in Nazis than Trump. Wow.

As people mentioned, do not trust what Bannon is saying on this for two big reasons:

1) He's trying to take the heat off of people who are indisputably his base, and instead do the misdirection of economic nationalism/anxiety to subvert the conversation on race and identity.

2) When considering the majority who would really be in a position to control and officiate the goals of economic naitonalism (i.e., old white dudes with power over the country), we're essentially just temporarily tabling an issue that we're going to get right back into later.

Top Bottom