• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
iSwjIS0xW7Mxd.png

irFLslAdycPGp.png

Damn, this works, and I even found a way on Guru3D to get 3840x2160 working at 60Hz, but it only gives me Limited RGB and not Full, so everything's washed-out looking. :( Usually if you put 60.001 as the refresh rate, it'll fix that, but not with anything higher than 3200x1800.

Hmmm the highest i can go on my 1680x1050 monitor is 2560x1600 60HZ 32bit, any tricks to get any higher?
ifeb7Bz413b66.png

edit. wow i just tried upping the res on my own by a multiple of 2 and I can now do 2x 1680x1050p @ 3360x2100! Is that 2X SSAA?
WOOHOO! will report back with further findings!

ikToMOVJBQzy8.png

Can anyone post the very best shot of sleeping dogs?

Just started playing it and its gorgeous. Would love to see it at its very best

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
GC. Never bought the trilogy set, just one by one as they came out.

Ah cool ty, one more random inquiry : when playing GC games via dolphin, how do you play them in widescreen without stretching? Just ticking the widescreen hack box? I remember reading MP 1/2 not playing nicely with widescreen hack, but that was years ago iirc.

Ah cool ty, one more random inquiry : when playing GC games via dolphin, how do you play them in widescreen without stretching? Just ticking the widescreen hack box? I remember reading MP 1/2 not playing nicely with widescreen hack, but that was years ago iirc.

Yeah, forcing the aspect ratio and the widescreen hack.

There's times when things on the far sides won't be rendered and pop in (like this http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2013-01-0517-5m1rcy.png) but honestly I didn't find it too distracting, it wasn't very pronounced most of the time with only a few areas being really bad about it, same with MP1.

That screen shows another issue too, though. After a little bit of play you'll get a black bar that squishes your image by about ~6.7% (72 pixels out of 1080). Only fix is to restart Dolphin, but it happens so often and so quickly into gameplay that I just never bothered and you get used to it. For all the screens I've posted I cropped off the bottom 72 pixels and stretched it back up to 1080 (blasphemous, I know =P).

Edit addendum: Black bar doesn't happen in MP1, but does in MP3 (and all games on the trilogy collection, according to the Dolphin site's wiki)

Corky

Thanks a lot, one of my biggest regrets from last gen was stopping playing Metroid Prime at the part where the game turns into collection artifacts (?).

Xanadu

Banned
guys i cant even go 2400x1350 on my 1080p TV, i'm guessing its a tv limitation? and yes i followed all steps on the guide

Thanks a lot, one of my biggest regrets from last gen was stopping playing Metroid Prime at the part where the game turns into collection artifacts (?).

Hah, don't blame you, those are easily the worst parts of the series. Artifacts, sky temple keys, and energy cells *shudder*, though the cells in 3 were handled better imo. The only redeeming quality is that it was at least a bit rewarding finding them based off of the clues and using all your new toys to access the areas, usually.

Corky

Hah, don't blame you, those are easily the worst parts of the series. Artifacts, sky temple keys, and energy cells *shudder*, though the cells in 3 were handled better imo. The only redeeming quality is that it was at least a bit rewarding finding them based off of the clues and using all your new toys to access the areas, usually.

Ah I see. Gotta get my GC dolphin on somehow.

Beautiful, making rage looking this good is an admirable feat.

Can anyone PM me a guide on how to downsample on a Dell 3007fpw? I have a 560TI. On my 42 Panny plasma downsampling was pretty easy since the automatic timings worked but I'm lost on what to do on my Dell. I don't know where else to ask.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Messing around with AMD Downsampling for the first time. All screen are downsampled from 2049x1152 to 1920x1080....

bf32013-01-0523-23-197qopj.png

bf32013-01-0523-23-427qpww.png

LiquidMetal14

bf32013-01-0523-24-475tqvl.png

bf32013-01-0523-19-56mfog0.png

Need to mess around as I can cap these from 2560x1440 so I may post screens at that res from now on.

I noticed some of you scale your pics down really nicely. Is that something you use Photoshop to do?

Card Boy

Banned
Amazing Spiderman looks sick. Post some more pics please. Does he ever take his mask off? Do other non-Spiderman universe Marvel characters make an appearance like Fantastic 4 or Hulk?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can anyone PM me a guide on how to downsample on a Dell 3007fpw? I have a 560TI. On my 42 Panny plasma downsampling was pretty easy since the automatic timings worked but I'm lost on what to do on my Dell. I don't know where else to ask.

If it doesn't work with automatic timings, and you don't want to go through the hassle of setting all the timings exactly, then you can always just use a slightly lower resolution. Try to stick with multiples of your monitors native resolution though.

I noticed some of you scale your pics down really nicely. Is that something you use Photoshop to do?
I like to use photoshop to do it. To get the image out with perfect colors is a bit of an involved process, but if you just want to downsample and make it look ALMOST exactly right, then it's simple as just loading the image, changing the image size, and saving it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks for the responses. I went with a 2560x1440 screen and downsampled to 1080p, result

specopstheline2013-0170psl.jpg

Is that a steam screenshot? If it is, you should know that steam compresses images immensely, and thats why your shot has a lot of artifacting and looks messy.

Here's an example of the difference compression will make on a shot.

Compressed
ib2oFHNpmdkqlF.jpg

Uncompressed
i0dhkNhCBOja7.jpg

See how much detail is lost and how it just looks a lot uglier in comparison?

To post in this thread, your images need to be uncompressed and lossless (Try to save as a .png file!) and you need to upload to a host that doesn't compress images (Abload is fine, good choice with that one).

If you need a program to take screenshots and don't want to buy one, check out Greenshot! It's free and opensource, and it works well.

Hope I helped you out.

I like to use photoshop to do it. To get the image out with perfect colors is a bit of an involved process, but if you just want to downsample and make it look ALMOST exactly right, then it's simple as just loading the image, changing the image size, and saving it.

Wait, what does Photoshop do to colours? I've never noticed any changes when saving my shots.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wait, what does Photoshop do to colours? I've never noticed any changes when saving my shots.

It's a small difference. When you open an image in photoshop it makes the color mode 8-bit instead of 32-bit so theres some colors lost. You can change it to 32-bit mode but the default save dialog doesn't let you save it in any reasonable normal format that you can share on the internet when it's in 32bit mode.

LiquidMetal14

I inspected the image and it's definitely more compressed. I took the source 1440p shot and then used irfanview to do a simple downsize as a jpeg. Perhaps a different format is in order.

It's a small difference. When you open an image in photoshop it makes the color mode 8-bit instead of 32-bit so theres some colors lost. You can change it to 32-bit mode but the default save dialog doesn't let you save it in any reasonable normal format that you can share on the internet when it's in 32bit mode.

You can save a 16-bit image as any format you like, however I'm not seeing a difference in colour quality at all.

Is that a steam screenshot? If it is, you should know that steam compresses images immensely, and thats why your shot has a lot of artifacting and looks messy.

Here's an example of the difference compression will make on a shot.

Compressed
http://i5.minus.com/ib2oFHNpmdkqlF.jpg[/ig]

[B]Uncompressed[/B]
[img]http://i1.minus.com/i0dhkNhCBOja7.jpg[/mg]

See how much detail is lost and how it just looks a lot uglier in comparison?

To post in this thread, your images need to be uncompressed and lossless (Try to save as a .png file!) and you need to upload to a host that doesn't compress images (Abload is fine, good choice with that one).

If you need a program to take screenshots and don't want to buy one, check out [url=http://getgreenshot.org/]Greenshot![/url] It's free and opensource, and it works well.

Hope I helped you out.[/QUOTE]
saving images here as 90% JPGs should be ok right? 100% is good too but some people might complain about the size vs the negligible IQ increase...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You can save a 16-bit image as any format you like, however I'm not seeing a difference in colour quality at all.

Yeah whenever I've fiddled with it the only difference is between 32bit and anything else. Some images it will affect way more than others.

Edit: I guess I should probably also mention that this happens with Photoshop CS5, I'm not sure about other versions so if it's not happening for you perhaps they've improved it?

saving images here as 90% JPGs should be ok right? 100% is good too but some people might complain about the size vs the negligible IQ increase...

I just do the full 12 quality always, because no matter what quality you pick, it will always be better than the PNG's that people usually upload so I feel it's worth it for the small improvement.

Top Bottom