• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 PC "optimized" for 30fps. User can uncap at own glitchy risk. Cacpcom.

Vuze

i1DCIb8RQOrv9.png

That was quick. *saving*

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Seriously Capcom? Fucking hell.

Dead Rising 2 etc is lots of fun on PC and I was hoping for DR3 on PC to continue this. Bah. Still will get but on sale really.

A bit disappointing really.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Also, how would one go about 'fixing' this? If the animations were made for a 30FPS experience, that doesn't seem fixable without Capcom's involvement.

Yea if the game logic and physics are coupled to the framerate, no directx injector is going to fix that.

Me and a friend were planning on getting this for some coop fun, they've lost 2 sales over this.

Ridley327

And this is made by a western developer too!

Here's the weird parts about this whole thing:

-Capcom Vancouver did the PC ports of DR2 and OTR themselves, and while not drowning in options, they were well optimized and ran at 60 fps with little effort. They're not doing this themselves, which wouldn't be a major issue as...

-QLOC has handled many of Capcom's recent PC ports, which have been largely praised, especially for their work on DmC.

The engine must be too much of a mess to guarantee anything else, I think.

not really

I mean, they're saying "optimized for 30fps", literally, on a PC release, and being all "well 60fps is not officially supported nor designed or tweaked to be played this way at all good luck!"

it's a shitty attitude regardless of final product. They are not giving a shit

How many games explicitly "support" 120FPS? Doesn't stop plenty of games still working just fine at that framerate.
60FPS is not a "standard" PC "feature" or buzzword, it's almost always up to the user how to run the game. As long as there isn't a madatory cap, it's not that bad.

Salsa

capcom games used to be the best pc ports on the market before the steam boom wtf

honestly the majority of Capcom ports are terrific. RE5, RE6, DMC4, DmC, etc

this is some bizarre unexpected let down, at least in terms of their wording so far. Same people who did those are doing this port too. Engine must be terrible.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
honestly the majority of Capcom ports are terrific. RE5, RE6, DMC4, DmC, etc

this is some bizarre unexpected let down, at least in terms of their wording so far. Same people who did those are doing this port too. Engine must be terrible.

All their MT Framework games run great on PC, everything else is a mess.

Speaking of MT Framework. Dragon's Dogma Cacpcom, where the fuck is it?

jediyoshi

Yea if the game logic and physics are coupled to the framerate, no directx injector is going to fix that.

Me and a friend were planning on getting this for some coop fun, they've lost 2 sales over this.

Game logic is the key part.

I'm pretty sure people are weirdly reading into '30fps animations' and thinking they'll look choppy because somehow the two tie together. If you're running a game at 120fps, it's not like an animation that has 30 keyframes a second starts skipping because there's no more frames to fill the space.

is there some kind of resource savings when tuning your animations/gameplay to the framerate? there must be some incentive to do this considering how often we seem to run into this issue with PC ports.

The Cowboy

Ahh well, i was planning to set it up for maximum visuals and a capped frame rate anyways - despite the outrage over this, at least they gave the option to unlock the framerate despite the animations being 30fps.

Anony

i dont see how you could 'fix' this, if the animation and physics is capped at 30fps, then going over means that things will out of speed, ie walking would be faster (2x faster if 60fps)

Why does this get lambasted but other recently announced games targeting 30fps gets a free pass? Why?

Well, there's a difference between targeting 30 FPS on consoles and locking it to that on PCs. Really doubt they actually meant the animations are locked to 30 FPS though but we'll see.

It's a PC port, and nobody buys PC ports for them to run the same as they did on less powerful hardware.
Even if it was locked the ability to play at 1080+ with far better AA is a massive boon on its own. Dead Rising 3 had horrible IQ.

Slaythe

What the hell is happening to capcom.

It's like absolutely every news concerning them makes me want to punch them in the face.

dreamfall

Yipes.

Well that's unfortunate- I do wonder if they needed to cap it to add more craziness on screen in terms of number of zombies, neat visual tricks, etc.

I also thought maybe they were building this specifically for the PC- but it looks like it'll be pretty straight forward port. At least we won't be experiencing frame rate drops?

Salsa

How many games explicitly "support" 120FPS? Doesn't stop plenty of games still working just fine at that framerate.
60FPS is not a "standard" PC "feature" or buzzword, it's almost always up to the user how to run the game. As long as there isn't a madatory cap, it's not that bad.

one assumes that if a game allows a high framerate the animations are tailored to it

an animation having half the frames than what the game is running at is jarring and can break stuff easily. it sounds like game logic is capped at 30fps too.

this is standard of PC games. You don't have to say it explicitly, that's why they say it when it doesnt happen

Carlius

Banned
Is this really, honestly a big deal?

I don't think I'll ever fully understand the cult of 1080p/60fps.

it is actually. why the hell would you cap it at 30 when you can put it to 60? i understand limitations on consoles, but there is ABSOLUTELY no reason for it to be capped on PC. Its just pure lazy porting from Capcom

KarmaCow

Why does this get lambasted but other recently announced games targeting 30fps gets a free pass? Why?

On consoles? Those games are targeting FPS because they're working under fixed ceilings for processor power. How many games made for PC do you hear where the developers say they're choosing to limit the FPS (or anything really)?

And they are being lambasted.

jediyoshi

one assumes that if a game allows a high framerate the animations are tailored to it

an animation having half the frames than what the game is running at is jarring and can break stuff easily.

What's jarring about it? Smooth animation exists because of interpolation of those frames, not because every frame of the game is tied to a new keyframe.

Here's dota 2 running at 1000fps, it doesn't turn into some weird flipbook because the game doesn't have explicit frames of animation to turn to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mahHF8dIeVg

Top Bottom