• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 PC "optimized" for 30fps. User can uncap at own glitchy risk. Cacpcom.

Seanspeed

Banned
Who on earth designs games around hardcoded framerate caps in 2013?

That was rhetorical. The answer is Capcom. Capcom designs games around hardcoded framerate caps in 2013.
Any game that is originally planned to be console exclusive, obviously.

Is this really, honestly a big deal?

I don't think I'll ever fully understand the cult of 1080p/60fps.

60 fps is fucking glorious, once you experience it anything that's 30 fps is noticeably different.

Having played 60 fps Batman, 60 fps Wolfenstein, 60 fps Bioshock: Infinite and 60 fps Dishonored and returning to TR:DE XB1, a game I had already beaten before playing any of those games on PC, I found its locked 30 frame rate unbearable.

Persona7

Banned
I don't really care, I just like this game. While 60FPS would be nice, I am guessing they would have to rework the entire engine and all the animations and everything else related to that. It might be not even be possible to do that as well, even if they had a budget to do it.

someone will fix it.

The same thing happened with Shadow Of The Colossus HD and when you run it in a emulator, did anyone ever fix it to run at 60FPS in the emulator?

Another recent PC port that this happened with was Jet Set Radio HD, I don't think anybody fixed that.

ViviOggi

And here I thought Capcom would at least get PC ports right nowadays. Their code must be an utter hackjob from that XBO transition.

Salsa

Any game that is originally planned to be console exclusive, obviously.

I mean, not really, unless you're on a budget or time limit or anything of the sort (which this game might have been considering it was a launch title), or you're not that experienced with this sorta thing (dark souls, etc)

usually you cap according to how it performs, it's not like everyone reworks their physics engine and game logic when they port a game to the PC

also, considering Capcom is publishing on PC, there was also never a "it's only gonna be a console exclusive, ever" on their contract, clearly. They knew they were bringing it to the PC.

mnannola

"Hey gamers, we are spending the absolute bare minimum of effort in order to bring you this game. Please give us your money anyway, thanks."

Seanspeed

Banned
They are warning people for a reason, they would not come out and say this if everything was going to be fine.
Obviously there will be some issues. The question is, how bad will they be? Minor, major? I kinda doubt that they'd tell people ahead of time that a game they're about to release has major issues, ya know?

Tain

That was rhetorical. The answer is Capcom. Capcom designs games around hardcoded framerate caps in 2013.

I'm guessing that, during development of the XO original, they wrote all the game logic to account for delta time and all that like most Western developers do but did all their testing with the 30fps cap in place. Because, for the XO release, why wouldn't they?

Now that it's time for a PC port, a budget is set, and they can only test so much, so they take the official stance that uncapped is unsupported, even if the game should be fine uncapped.

I understand being disappointed that Capcom wouldn't allow a budget big enough to test the game at 60fps, but I don't think this is a case of Dark Souls.

Seanspeed

Banned
I mean, not really, unless you're on a budget or time limit or anything of the sort (which this game might have been considering it was a launch title), or you're not that experienced with this sorta thing (dark souls, etc)

usually you cap according to how it performs, it's not like everyone reworks their physics engine and game logic when they port a game to the PC

also, considering Capcom is publishing on PC, there was also never a "it's only gonna be a console exclusive, ever" on their contract, clearly. They knew they were bringing it to the PC.
We dont know the contract situation. If anything, this strikes me as evidence that it wasn't planned to be a PC game.

Anyways, you're the expert game developer, not me. I'll take your word for it that all games are built with unlimited framerates in mind.

Armaros

Obviously there will be some issues. The question is, how bad will they be? Minor, major? I kinda doubt that they'd tell people ahead of time that a game they're about to release has major issues, ya know?

Like how From was warning people against running DS2 at 60 FPS because of those minor issues?

wait...

We dont know the contract situation. If anything, this strikes me as evidence that it wasn't planned to be a PC game.

Anyways, you're the expert game developer, not me. I'll take your word for it that all games are built with unlimited framerates in mind.

More like good developers dont hardcore their engines to framerate. This is something everyone learned at least a decade ago.

So they tied game logic and animations to a framerate the console can hardly keep up with at times, all the while shooting themselves in the foot and limiting the potential experience of the game once better hardware comes out.

Who needs to future proof things anyways I guess.

Salsa

I mean you're saying a thing and im saying another. That's the way I understand it and always understood it.

in the end I just still don't like this and wouldnt expect it. that's what im complaining about. It shows as lazy. is it? I dont know, maybe they had tears of blood throughout development cause they just COULDNT do it, but i've got no way of knowing that, and it seems like a lazy thing.

one of us is giving capcom more credit and leverage (or benefit of the doubt) and one of us isnt, that's all there is to it

The Llama

Honestly don't get why this is such a big deal. Sure, it'd be nice if they checked things out to make sure it worked, but its not like they're completely locking it at 30 FPS and not even giving us the option.

Persona7

Banned
Like how From was warning people against running DS2 at 60 FPS because of those minor issues?

wait...

DS2 uses a new engine with a unlocked framerate up to 60FPS, even on PS3 and 360. It was built with that in mind and as such the PC port is excellent. They planned the development around the PC version.

Riposte

What other games have they made that are like this?

What about RE6, DmC, Street Fighter IV...?

slapnuts

People tend to forget that most PC gamers have systems that are no where near considered "high end" ... Most PC gamers have lower mid range to mid range and i am being very generous in that estimation.

I havent looked at the May stats from Steam for the averages of what hardware steam users have but look at the link below and see for yourself. I think a lot of you will be surprised.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Thrakier

Weird how they designed the game for 30FPS whilst the XB1 was probably running an avg. framerate of 25.

Anyway, 30FPS = no buy. Not a chance. Not the slightest. Out of protest AND because it plain sucks and is no fun.

DCDW

30 fps isn't a deal breaker for me, but they really aren't selling the proverbial sizzle with statements like that.

Thrakier

People tend to forget that most PC gamers have systems that are no where near considered "high end" ... Most PC gamers have lower mid range to mid range and i am being very generous in that estimation.

I havent looked at the May stats from Steam for the averages of what hardware steam users have but look at the link below and see for yourself. I think a lot of you will be surprised.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Doesn't say much, the average is skewed because of casual puzzle gamers and colladoody the likes. We'd need average statistics of gamers who play modern 3D games which are probably in the target group of Capcom.

Doesn't say much, the average is skewed because of casual puzzle gamers and colladoody the likes. We'd need average statistics of gamers who play modern 3D games which are probably in the target group of Capcom.

The last two Call of Duty games have had full DX11 support and required decent to great(especially for Ghosts) PCs for max settings/60 FPS

Tain

COD is a weird thing to include in this post.

It's possible that running the game at 60fps will change the aesthetic of the game. We all know that films run at 24fps so maybe at 30fps they were just going for a filmic look?

Maybe, I run all of the resident evils at 30 because I simply like how it looks then, 60+ feels off for some reason, but I think they are mostly talking about physics related things here, like ragdolls going crazy.

Thrakier

COD is a weird thing to include in this post.

Well, I was thinking about the older ones which basically would run on my smartphone in FullHD and probably are still being played by millions of players. And also by players who are fine with playing in 720p instead of 1080p because well, they are just in for the kill.

Zeth

Wow! What a shame. This really killed the announcement for me - guess I'm not alone.

Even with the original plans for exclusivity, surely it'd be a good idea to make your game compatible with high frame rates. Maybe this is an issue with a pre-existing engine? I don't know much about the game though.

jediyoshi

But was that also when you stopped looking at Capcom PC ports or sooner? Not rhetorical.

Seanspeed

Banned
I mean you're saying a thing and im saying another. That's the way I understand it and always understood it.

in the end I just still don't like this and wouldnt expect it. that's what im complaining about. It shows as lazy. is it? I dont know, maybe they had tears of blood throughout development cause they just COULDNT do it, but i've got no way of knowing that, and it seems like a lazy thing.

one of us is giving capcom more credit and leverage (or benefit of the doubt) and one of us isnt, that's all there is to it
One of us is jumping to conclusions, one isn't.

I'm not saying they haven't been lazy about it. I just want evidence of it before I bash them.

Henrar

To all people calling Durante to fix this - he won't, because he can't. If the animations were recorded at 30FPS, he won't magically double it.

It's way different from adding AO or changing rendering resolution.

TheD

The Detective

I'm not saying they haven't been lazy about it. I just want evidence of it before I bash them.

If they know that there might be problems with running it at higher than 30FPS and yet don't fix it, they are lazy.

Salsa

im just judging from what he says and the way he says it. I've been burned before and the whole "we dont know what might happen" thing sounds to me like "yeah it breaks in a few ways" and he's covering his ass. he mentions physics and zombies specifically.

innocent till proven guilty <> guilty till proven innocent

I did change this from the OP:

basically animations and physics are capped at 30fps

to this:

basically animations and physics could be capped at 30fps

so, yeah. I dont intend to assume, im just interpreting stuff. the OP is the facts

Depending on what's going on with the DLC, especially that pack that was just released, I may just wait and play this when I get an Xbox One and buy the PC version when it's really cheap.

It doesn't say in that video on the last page that animations are locked to 30. When the game turns out perfectly fine I'm sure everyone will feel real silly

Depending on what's going on with the DLC, especially that pack that was just released, I may just wait and play this when I get an Xbox One and buy the PC version when it's really cheap.
Why? The PC version will be cheaper via GMG(coupon) or traders if it goes up without a region lock. Steady 30 FPS with resolutions up 4K is still a lot better than what the One version offers.

Top Bottom