• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 PC "optimized" for 30fps. User can uncap at own glitchy risk. Cacpcom.

Salsa

I buy PC games because they look better not because they run better. Max settings 30fps for life. Turning down settings is for peasants. The lower class of PC gaming.

how about max settings and 60fps/120fps, you know, like you'd expect for a PC game in 2014 (or.. ever, for that matter)

I don't know guys, maybe these kinds of reactions is exactly why some devs, especially Japanese ones, are so apprehensive about releasing games on PC.

I don't mind 30FPS, if going above that makes the game bad, then I'll stick to it. If it doesn't then I'll go above 30. Either way, I'm good.

Lothars

If it ends up being fine running with the uncapped framerate than the ones bitching here will still shit on capcom but of course capcom is the villian here and it's the end of the world when it's really unknown how it will run with the uncapped framerate.

Carlius

Banned
Lots of assumptions in the OP, people don't need much of a reason to jump into curse filled hysterics though.

Why is that? There are thousands of highly detailed zombies on screen, great textures, dynamic lighting and so on. Not to say my 780 ti shouldn't run it at 60 FPS but any "modern pc" shouldn't just be able to do so.

troll post i hope, cause you cant be serious. you can have millions of zombies on screen, what will determine weatherits taxing on perfoamnce is the assets, animations and other things behind each model. do you really think a modern pc is less capable of an xbox one? when the xbox one can run it pefectly fine, pc can do it twice as good. i really do not understand the logic behind your argument, it makes absolutely no sense to be honest.

Ugh, why do developers tie animations and game systems in with framerates? I can maybe see a reason for that in a fighting game (locking animations with the framerate so that moves are consistent or something), but for the most part it always seems to be random games like this that don't seem to have any reason for it.

I was so annoyed that From Dust did this on the PC. At least there's a fix for it in Dead Rising 3 (that may or may not work well, we'll have to see), From Dust tied like everything in the physics and animations to the framerate so that if you ran it at 60 FPS the game would go in fast forward.

It was such a beautiful game too. :(

Dario ff

Banned
I don't know guys, maybe these kinds of reactions is exactly why some devs, especially Japanese ones, are so apprehensive about releasing PC games.
Maybe they should stop hardcoding around fixed framerate for no reason and code for any resolution and framerate in the first place. :p I would think stuff like that would be more common considering they already have to release for several consoles with different amount of settings.

This particular example doesn't sound like it'll be that bad tho considering they're providing a way to uncap it. At least they're being honest.

Note: I'm in no way against using a fixed timestep for logic and physics since it's a valid approach, but animation/rendering should work at any framerate easily.

Salsa

What's jarring about it? Smooth animation exists because of interpolation of those frames, not because every frame of the game is tied to a new keyframe.

Here's dota 2 running at 1000fps, it doesn't turn into some weird flipbook because the game doesn't have explicit frames of animation to turn to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mahHF8dIeVg

Bioshock had an issue on PC where the physics engine was capped at half the framerate and you'd kick a bucket and it would look like weird stop motion in the middle of the game

not saying that's gonna be the case, just saying this things can mean bad stuff

they can not bother at all, too, but how about just taking the time to make sure your game supports standard PC "features". All im complaining about

It's possible that running the game at 60fps will change the aesthetic of the game. We all know that films run at 24fps so maybe at 30fps they were just going for a filmic look?

Tain

These reactions are the kind I would expect for a game locked at 30, not for a game with an option to be uncapped.

Zomba13

It might end up running fine uncapped. They might just be saying that as they haven't made the game with that in mind when making the Xbone version and this is just a port of that.
Dark Souls ran pretty well with the cap removed though it did mess up sometimes on ladders when sliding down.

troll post i hope, cause you cant be serious. you can have millions of zombies on screen, what will determine weatherits taxing on perfoamnce is the assets, animations and other things behind each model. do you really think a modern pc is less capable of an xbox one? when the xbox one can run it pefectly fine, pc can do it twice as good. i really do not understand the logic behind your argument, it makes absolutely no sense to be honest.

How does your statement make any sense? The Xbox One runs the game at 720 P 15-30 FPS with nearly no anti-aliasing. Was just saying I think it's silly to say any "modern pc"(what does that mean) should be able to run the game at 60 FPS given the performance on the One. Outside of the IQ and performance it's one of the better looking next gen games. Lots of impressive visual effects, great textures, and so on. It's on the upper tier of visual and scale.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I don't understand why animations are based on FPS. Most games you can set your framerate to 30, 60, 100, 120 FPS or whatever you want and the animation never breaks.

Mesoian

xVkEjFd.gif

That's amazing.

Salsa

These reactions are the kind I would expect for a game locked at 30, not for a game with an option to be uncapped.

I mean, how many games that are "locked at 30fps" get some sort of fix that is basically rewriting an .ini file line on the next day.

most recently Killer is Dead for example

that's not the issue here, the issue here is how lazy this is

and yeah, to better ilustrate what *could* happen with the same example; when you uncap Killer is Dead's framerate, or set it to 60 manually by messing with config files, you break every button mashing system in the game. Every time you have to mash on a QTE you now have to do it at double the speed, effectively breaking the revival system (until another "fix" showed up)

Why is that? There are thousands of highly detailed zombies on screen, great textures, dynamic lighting and so on. Not to say my 780 ti shouldn't run it at 60 FPS but any "modern pc" shouldn't just be able to do so.

I meant high end by modern. a PC built for playing the newest games like many here have

Carlius

Banned
How does your statement make any sense? The Xbox One runs the game at 720 P 15-30 FPS with nearly no anti-aliasing. Was just saying I think it's silly to say any "modern pc"(what does that mean) should be able to run the game at 60 FPS given the performance on the One.

if you are talking about dual core pc's that were made for last gen then no. any modern pc with a decent gpu and a sandy/ivy bridge can run the game perfectly well, and most GAMING pc's are in that boat right now, the i can play games at max boat.

KarmaCow

It's pretty much the same thing. This time the ability to uncap the framerate is officially supported instead of a user mod but the end result is the same if the game will freak out at 30+.

Seanspeed

Banned
It might end up running fine uncapped. They might just be saying that as they haven't made the game with that in mind when making the Xbone version and this is just a port of that.
Dark Souls ran pretty well with the cap removed though it did mess up sometimes on ladders when sliding down.
Yea, Dark Souls had like a tiny, handful of minor issues when running at 60fps. Doesn't mean the game wasn't still a joy to play in 60fps, though.

Lets judge it by how it actually is guys, not just how we imagine it'll be.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh god, so this is like 60FPS games that will slow down/render gameplay slower at lower FPS but in reverse? The fuck?

scitek

Why go through the trouble of converting and marketing the new PC version of RE4 at 60fps, then do this? They're both ports by Q-Loc, no?

if you are talking about dual core pc's that were made for last gen then no. any modern pc with a decent gpu and a sandy/ivy bridge can run the game perfectly well, and most GAMING pc's are in that boat right now, the i can play games at max boat.

As someone who has a 780 Ti you'd be amazed at how many games still don't run at a steady 60 FPS.

let's judge capcom being lazy! that's all im doing here
With very little to back it up. If they said the animations were capped to 30 then you can't uncap them like it states in the OP. You're creating hysteria based on very little information. Write them on twitter or something.

even if it's capped to 30 frames, that's still more than the Xbone can handle and it's still on the PC, so there's plenty of modding potential there. DR2: Off the Record modded the Megaman costume back in (complete with Mega Buster), as well as Frank West's suit (and face!) from the first game, among other things.

why not wait until the game actually comes out and judge the performance (with FPS capped and uncapped) before you complain?

Armaros

even if it's capped to 30 frames, that's still more than the Xbone can handle and it's still on the PC, so there's plenty of modding potential there. DR2: Off the Record modded the Megaman costume back in (complete with Mega Buster), as well as Frank West's suit (and face!) from the first game, among other things.

why not wait until the game actually comes out and judge the performance (with FPS capped and uncapped) before you complain?

Because when someone warns you about how running the game above the 'locked' framerate would cause bugs and 'user beware', then its more then a simple issue that can be fixed with a graphics mod.

TheD

The Detective
I don't know guys, maybe these kinds of reactions is exactly why some devs, especially Japanese ones, are so apprehensive about releasing games on PC.

I don't mind 30FPS, if going above that makes the game bad, then I'll stick to it. If it doesn't then I'll go above 30. Either way, I'm good.

They would stop getting reactions like this if their game(s) was up to the minimum standards of the day!

With very little to back it up. If they said the animations were capped to 30 then you can't uncap them like it states in the OP. You're creating hysteria based on very little information. Write them on twitter or something.

The animations and physics might be programmed to run at only 30 updates a second and if you force them to update at a higher rate (via allowing the game to run higher than 30FPS) they could brake.

Seanspeed

Banned
let's judge capcom being lazy! that's all im doing here
Well we dont know how much work would have been required to optimize the game for higher framerates.

If the game only has tiny issues and it would have involved a lot of work to fix them, its quite understandable and calling them 'lazy' would probably be a disservice when you consider that they're bringing it to PC at all.

We'll see. I'm not against calling this a poor effort, but I'd like to actually have evidence of it rather than just assume the worst. I'm not a fan of jumping to conclusions.

Mesoian

Because they're still asking you to pay for their mistakes.

Even if the community mods the game to being okay again, that doesn't mean we should be okay with this decision. Just because Durante fixed Dark Souls on PC doesn't mean that Dark Souls wasn't a smoldering piece of shit at release.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Even if the community mods the game to being okay again, that doesn't mean we should be okay with this decision. Just because Durante fixed Dark Souls on PC doesn't mean that Dark Souls wasn't a smoldering piece of shit at release.

The sad things is that From learned from and rectified that with DS 2. Clearly Capcom releasing a game after both learnt neither lessons.

This whole thing is a piece of shit, and speak heavy to Capcom's incompetence.

Seanspeed

Banned

Again, you're assuming the worst and judging them for that without having any evidence to suggest it'll even be bad in the first place. Wait and see before judging. You dont have to buy it. If its bad, we'll hear about it.

Mesoian

Again, you're assuming the worst and judging them for that without having any evidence to suggest it'll even be bad in the first place. Wait and see before judging. You dont have to buy it. If its bad, we'll hear about it.

And while that's true, feels like this:

xVkEjFd.gif

Are totally understandable.

epmode

Well we dont know how much work would have been required to optimize the game for higher framerates.

Who on earth designs games around hardcoded framerate caps in 2013?

That was rhetorical. The answer is Capcom. Capcom designs games around hardcoded framerate caps in 2013.

Salsa

this is the actual quote:

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity/b/537545864

11:35

'when we started the PC project we knew we werent gonna be able to guarantee anything above 30 frames per second'

'.. I love fiddling with PC games'

'what im saying is.. we're not gonna stop you from uncapping the framerate, but we can't guarantee the experience'

'we just really dont know what's gonna happen, you might see some weird stuff with physics, some weird stuff with zombies'

'I really dont believe you're losing anything by playing at 30 frames per second'

'if you want feel free to uncap it, but it's gonna be wild and crazy'

I dont know man that just sounds like a nice way to say "yeah we kinda tested it a bit and it breaks"

sorry if im jumping the gun here to some, but it seems valid to me

open and happy to be surprised

TheD

The Detective

They are warning people for a reason, they would not come out and say this if everything was going to be fine.

Armaros

'when we started the PC project we knew we werent gonna be able to guarantee anything above 30 frames per second'

'what im saying is.. we're not gonna stop you from uncapping the framerate, but we can't guarantee the experience'

'we just really dont know what's gonna happen, you might see some weird stuff with physics, some weird stuff with zombies'

'I really dont believe you're losing anything by playing at 30 frames per second'

So in other worlds, they love to "fiddle with PC games"

But aren't up to basic engine and frame-rate scaling standards since a decade ago.

Weird stuff with physics is a lot different than having all the animations being capped at 30 FPS. Maybe you're right though, suppose we'll see. The very fact that they have an option to uncap the framerate though seems to imply its not really broken.

They've got an FAQ on steam where people are asking for more details, will be answered soon enough!

Top Bottom