• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Gu4n

Adding to this, the writers constantly treat the player like a complete idiot and assume that everything goes over your head--but don't worry, characters will regurgitate and state the obvious over and over for you! For example, at one point in the game you see a character in the distance and your party members say "who's that?", "we better follow them!" etc. You, the player, take 10 steps forward, and are met with another obnoxiously slow cutscene of the person in question walking away from you. Your party members once again state "hmm, I think we should follow them!" "is that a monster?" "No, I think that is a man" etc. What happens next? You take another 10 steps or so forward, get an obligatory cutscene of the person walking away, and are met with more stupid dialogue like "Hmm, that's definitely not a monster!" "It looks like a man" "we should keep following him" etc. This repeats 3-4 more times. WHY? I'm not a fucking idiot and can tell that we are following a man. I know this complaint sounds petty but the writers of VIII don't understand that less is more, and constantly have to bombard you and make sure not small little detail goes past you. The frequency of pointless cutscenes is ridiculous. Characters exist just to explain the stupid story.
It probably took you longer to write that rant than to endure through that one scene you are referring to. You're not wrong -- I fully agree with you on said scene -- but your post suggests the scene is representative for the entire game, so I'm just putting it in context here.

On a technical level, Lacrimosa of Dana runs worse than Celceta. There is a consistently lower framerate, and there are a ton of loading screens that fragment every zone in the game into small areas.
Lacrimosa of Dana is an ambitious game pushing the hardware to its limits and offers a suprisingly consistent framerate. Memories of Celceta was an PSP game covered in filters.

I haven't even got into the feature creep issues I have with the game. Why are there so many base defense missions? You just face waves of the same enemies you encounter out in the field anyway.
While I was fine with the defense missions throughout the game, the ones at the end felt like overkill.

Tizoc

OK seriously Ys 2 Head boss is a pain in the ass on hard. His punches hit me most of the time. If I time my jump I could still get hit doesn't help that you get few opportunities to mash on his head when he does his head attack =_=

Psxphile

Not having any experience with jRPGs localized by NISA America, I don't know what to expect with Ys VIII being published by them. Also, will the VITA version be 1:1 w/ the PS4/Steam versions on content?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
QisTopTier wore me down. I'm starting Ys Origin on Nightmare. This might get ugly.

It got ugly quick for me. Super grindy and the enemies don't give you any indication of how prepared you are for bosses. The strongest enemies before a boss can be totally non-threatening and you can steamroll them, but then the boss will still 4-shot you and take next to no damage.

Not having any experience with jRPGs localized by NISA America, I don't know what to expect with Ys VIII being published by them. Also, will the VITA version be 1:1 w/ the PS4/Steam versions on content?

I seriously doubt it. IIRC with both TX and Ys VIII the content was cut because of Vita limitations. Aksys seems to be making it up a little by offering the Vita version first and the PS4/PC versions later. Will have to see how NISA handles it.

Tizoc

Couldn't NISA just have XSEED do the localization but THEM publishing it?
Hmm now that I think about it that sounds ridiculous huh?

jb1234

It got ugly quick for me. Super grindy and the enemies don't give you any indication of how prepared you are for bosses. The strongest enemies before a boss can be totally non-threatening and you can steamroll them, but then the boss will still 4-shot you and take next to no damage.

Yeah, I haven't made it to a boss yet but the first twenty minutes haven't been promising. It does what Ys VII did (and drove me crazy doing), making the enemies damage sponges. I'm fine with them hitting harder but when they take forever to kill, it just gets tedious.

Cindered

Neo Member
Yeah, I haven't made it to a boss yet but the first twenty minutes haven't been promising. It does what Ys VII did (and drove me crazy doing), making the enemies damage sponges. I'm fine with them hitting harder but when they take forever to kill, it just gets tedious.

The first floor is pretty tedious, once you get past Velagunder it should pick up. All in all, I don't think Nightmare is too bad, especially once you get used to it and hard mode becomes too easy :p

jb1234

The first floor is pretty tedious, once you get past Velagunder it should pick up. All in all, I don't think Nightmare is too bad, especially once you get used to it and hard mode becomes too easy :p

Yeah, it's been manageable so far. The first boss (miniboss, I suppose) pasted me so I grinded two levels (until it wasn't worth my time to grind more), returned and had a much easier time of things. It's definitely forcing me to take more advantage of the various skills I have, which is pretty cool.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So uh any tips to defeat Mantid Boss in Origin? I remember I spammed fire magic on him on Normal.

What difficulty? I found it to be one of the easier bosses on hard. All his attacks are pretty easy to avoid for the most part, so if you don't overextend you shouldn't get hit too much.

Tizoc

What difficulty? I found it to be one of the easier bosses on hard. All his attacks are pretty easy to avoid for the most part, so if you don't overextend you shouldn't get hit too much.

Managed to kill him with a silver of health left.
His regeneration from death always confused me @_@

Cindered

Neo Member
Managed to kill him with a silver of health left.
His regeneration from death always confused me @_@

The basic jist of it is that, based on difficulty, he'll spawn so many sets of progressively easier to kill little guys before he just stops spawning them at all. The health he revives with is based on how many little duders were alive when he died.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I never bothered killing the minion things. Even if you don't kill any it spawns fewer and restores less HP each time it revives.

Erheller

If I remember correctly, the mantis boss actually has two hitboxes - one on the lower body and one on the upper body. So using Yunica's thunder skill can hit both at once and do more damage.

It's been a while, so that information might be totally wrong.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's awesome, too bad it's not available on a first playthrough. Guess it does make some sense though, since the game probably isn't really balanced around that option.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LOL why would anyone want to limit themselves of a bigger moveset and combo opportunities

Half the fun of the party games is learning to chain specials together to juggle or just mess shit up.

There are several minibosses in seven you can actually keep airborne til death with proper special usage and timing

Mr.Jeff

This sounds nice on paper but like catastrophe mode the game isn't balanced with it in mind.
I managed to get through Ys8 on Nightmare controlling just Adol with no healing. It's going to be slightly tougher since the AI does a proportion of the damage by itself though.

Looking forward to giving it a go!

Although saying that, I'm now having flashbacks to some of the roadblocks I faced last year...

Jucksalbe

Banned
Does the US Ys VIII Limited Edition contain the full OST or is that just a "selection CD"? I couldn't find anything about it other than "soundtrack included".

Cqef

Does the US Ys VIII Limited Edition contain the full OST or is that just a "selection CD"? I couldn't find anything about it other than "soundtrack included".

I wouldn't expect the full OST at all. The last time (and the only time, I believe) Nisa included a music CD for a Falcom game, which was the European Trails of Cold Steel LE, you only got 10 tracks, which weren't even full tracks but mere samples, which is kinda lamey. http://vgmdb.net/album/56824
Most likely not to compete with Falcom's very own international digital release of the OST (through iTunes and stuff).
Which also would explain why XSeed didn't do any music selection CD bonus at all for their Trails of Cold Steel LE.

Hey guys, I just saw some gameplay of this series and my interest is piqued. Which games should I get into the series with?

Origins seems to be the ideal starting point but I'm still a bit confused on which games to play from there. I'm on PC.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Which games should I get into the series with?

I'd recommend starting with either Origin or Oath in Felghana. They are both similar in playstyle, but Oath in Felghana is a bit more open; in Origin you are restricted to one (huge) dungeon. They are both great, though.
Oath in Felghana is a remake of Ys 3, but you don't really need any background to the story, since it takes place in a whole different area from the other games. Origin obviously is set before even the first game, but it connects to the first two.

Thanks!

I've currently downloaded Origins, so I'm gonna start with that and then move on to Oath in Felghana afterwards, that should be good right?

Are there more games coming out soon?

Jucksalbe

Banned
That's okay.

Ys 8 is coming out at the end of the year and it'll be the first Ys game on Steam that has the newer combat style with multiple party members (that's in Ys Seven (PSP) and Memories of Celceta (Vita)), so give that a try when it's released.

Ys I and Seven both represent the basics of their respective play styles (bump system vs. party combat system), so I'd give either a shot. Normally I'd recommend Napishtim also (because it sets up overarching lore for previous games in the series), but its lack of refinement compared to Oath in Felghana presents problems for series newcomers, so get Felghana if you want to start on mid-2000s Ys. I personally replay Ys I & II a lot on Hard or Nightmare, but Normal's fine too since a couple of bosses gets more aggravating on higher skills. And make sure to play Seven via PPSSPP if you can dump your copy—the resolution/controls improvements make it worthwhile.

NightWolve

Neo Member
Always wanted to give this series ago. Anyone know a good starting point? I'm assuming Origins ain't bad? I got majority of the American consoles Ys games have been playable on and the money to pick up any reasonably priced game.

I dunno who put this guide together below, but I ran into it recently and it's decent enough if not a little out of date. Since the creator didn't know about the Ys V patch or it was non-existent at the time, it was likely made pre-2013.

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/845149997616193536
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7qTZMMVAAA7uEF.jpg
C7qTZMMVAAA7uEF.jpg:small

Ys V is fully fan-translated, though I myself wouldn't touch it for personal reasons.
Link: https://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=ys5

"Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys" is also fully fan-translated now (well, 99%), English dub included! It was a long haul, didn't think it'd ever happen (I avoided dub recruitment responsibility), I went through 3 dub directors to wrap the fan project up after ~8 years, but it finally got done! The only thing untranslated is the credits roll. I know a very talented hacker (a games industry vet) working on the Legend of Xanadu fan translations right now that could probably help because it involves graphics hacking, not text, but it's such a minor thing, I doubt I could bother him or should, to complete this 100%. So yeah, 99%, minus the credits roll.
Link: http://ys4.ysutopia.net/#downloads

Sidenote: I gave up on "Ys IV: Mask of the Sun," I just got bored out and stuck too. I tried to resume after a long pause, but just wasn't feeling it - I'd have to restart to get unstuck and realized I didn't care anymore just to beat it... I love the PC Engine CD version too much (Ryo Yonemitsu's legendary soundtrack mastery has a lot to do with it!) and it feels like a cheap knock-off to me...

While Falcom at some point decided to declare it "canon" because the developers more closely followed their general story ideas, Hudson was the first to approach and convince them to develop an Ys IV game for the PC Engine CD given their past successes despite Falcom's internal staff problems at the time. I also dunno who zeroed in on this "canon" issue and started the debate, I could've done without it, heh. So yeah, "Ys IV: Dawn of Ys" is canon to ME!

Tizoc

Both classic versions of ys 4 got replaced by memories of celceta

I like to think that the older Ys games were like one historian's research on the history of Adol and how they wrote a book about their findings. With each new game we get a newer or different interpretation of the events of that game that Adol was in.

Psxphile

18620225_749899218504051_5338623410746157737_n.jpg

NISA is going to be streaming a preview of Ys VIII on the 25th.

Join the NIS America Twitch gamers for an exclusive preview of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA! We'll be discussing the history of the Ys franchise, the growth of the series as a whole, as well as show everyone exclusive gameplay as we dive into the game for the first time in North America!

Join us and be dazzled by what action RPGs are all about! You won't want to miss this! Bring in all your questions and enjoy a full-hour of Ys goodness with the Prinnies of NIS America!

Top Bottom