• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, so I guess T-Mobile is pretty legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTLance

It kinda pisses me off just how awesome T-Mobile is in the US. Here in Germany it's more like the "Premium" offering, hideously expensive with kinda low for the price limits - but to be fair, also with exceptional coverage. None of those awesome dealios though. I think I'd kill my current broadband & landline plan if they were this competitive over here. I want free Pizza and lifetime rebates and whatnot. Germany being a Servicewüste, as usual.

TLDR: you lucky bastards. ;(

komarkaze

I used to have the Simple Choice 2GB plan for two lines and tried the TMobile One plan for a month. It was a lot more expensive so I want to switch plans back but the website won't let me. I talked to customer support and they said they don't offer Simple Choice anymore. They only have TMobile One with a $5 / line kickback if you use less than 2 GB. I'm a little peeved. Had I known my old plan would be gone, I wouldn't have switched. I used to pay $134 and now I'm paying $170 bc I am paying for 2 iPhones.

ZOONAMI

I used to have the Simple Choice 2GB plan for two lines and tried the TMobile One plan for a month. It was a lot more expensive so I want to switch plans back but the website won't let me. I talked to customer support and they said they don't offer Simple Choice anymore. They only have TMobile One with a $5 / line kickback if you use less than 2 GB. I'm a little peeved. Had I known my old plan would be gone, I wouldn't have switched. I used to pay $134 and now I'm paying $170 bc I am paying for 2 iPhones.

Try calling back and escalating to a supervisor. They should be able to get you on a cheaper plan.

I'm on a 6GB data and unlimited talk text for $40 a month.

U might be SOL though because you willingly moved off a legacy plan to a plan you knew was more expensive.

I'll never move off my plan unless they force me to.

Usually non-GSM carrier branded phones don't have LTE Band 12, a necessary frequency that makes T-Mobile usable in many areas. T-Mobile apparently requires device certification, which requires manufacturer to pay for testing.

You're probably limited to 3G/HSPA bands and maybe one or two LTE bands.

Device certification is only needed for voice over LTE (VoLTE). Devices do not need to be certified to use data over band 12, though if you are in an area without good service other than band 12 you might end up with incoming calls going straight to voicemail a lot.

I switched from an Xperia Z3 Compact (no band 12 support at all, short of rooting) to an Xperia X Compact (supports band 12 but no VoLTE on T-Mobile) primarily because I did not want to buy a phone at a larger formfactor. But I moved to an area where I absolutely needed band 12 support or I wouldn't even get SMS or voicemail.

One is the only plan they are selling. You most likely won't be able to go back. It is a $10 kickback per line though.

Caveat emptor.

Posting for new page if anyone can help:

So I called the other day to sign up for the One plan. My SIM is arriving today and I'm assuming it'll come with it's own phone number attached to it.

My iPhone right now currently holds my AT&T number and SIM.

Do I just simply pop out the AT&T SIM, pop in the T-Mobile SIM and call the port department to have my AT&T number ported over? Do I need to create a my.tmobile account before doing this or can I do that after?

Falchion

Ok just reserved my hookup code. So right now they have an HD lifetime pass promotion, anything else for someone bringing 4 lines over?

toohectic

Ok just reserved my hookup code. So right now they have an HD lifetime pass promotion, anything else for someone bringing 4 lines over?

Is there anything you have to do to get the HD lifetime pass promotion, or is that automatic?

I have my hookup reserved. Just need to port my numbers over before my 14day window expires. One of my phones is on an AT&T contract (iPhone 6S) and is currently locked. I'm going to see if I can unlock it tonight after I get the IMEI number... But if it's not available for unlock on AT&T's site, will I have trouble transferring it over? Will the porting/termination of service (and potentially paying the ETF fee?), allow it to be unlocked when we switch over?

Will T-Mobile still cover an ETF fees? I know they have offered that in the past for switchers.

ZOONAMI

Is there anything you have to do to get the HD lifetime pass promotion, or is that automatic?

I have my hookup reserved. Just need to port my numbers over before my 14day window expires. One of my phones is on an AT&T contract (iPhone 6S) and is currently locked. I'm going to see if I can unlock it tonight after I get the IMEI number... But if it's not available for unlock on AT&T's site, will I have trouble transferring it over? Will the porting/termination of service (and potentially paying the ETF fee?), allow it to be unlocked when we switch over?

Will T-Mobile still cover an ETF fees? I know they have offered that in the past for switchers.

Call them and ask

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

You aren't getting a grandfathered plan back, if you knowingly switched off of it.

clav

Device certification is only needed for voice over LTE (VoLTE). Devices do not need to be certified to use data over band 12, though if you are in an area without good service other than band 12 you might end up with incoming calls going straight to voicemail a lot.

I switched from an Xperia Z3 Compact (no band 12 support at all, short of rooting) to an Xperia X Compact (supports band 12 but no VoLTE on T-Mobile) primarily because I did not want to buy a phone at a larger formfactor. But I moved to an area where I absolutely needed band 12 support or I wouldn't even get SMS or voicemail.

VoLTE is important though. You may not think much about certain scenarios, but sometimes you are thrown into an emergency. One thing you don't want to happen is you can't dial out.

Syriel

My iPhone right now currently holds my AT&T number and SIM.

Do I just simply pop out the AT&T SIM, pop in the T-Mobile SIM and call the port department to have my AT&T number ported over? Do I need to create a my.tmobile account before doing this or can I do that after?

Make sure your iPhone is unlocked, otherwise it will not accept your T-Mobile SIM.

Locking only decides if the phone will accept another carrier's SIM card. It is separate from porting a number.

I think I'm going to jump on this.

I've been on SERO (sprint) for the last decade, but I just checked out the Sprint site and it seems like they've finally ditched phone subsidies for SERO plans.

I've got one of the 20% discount codes "reserved" right now, which was kind of a weird process. Anyone want to tell me what the actual process is like when signing up for a new plan? I've got the code written down, and also the tracking number (or whatever it was called) which was given to me after the code was reserved.

I think I'm going to jump on this.

I've been on SERO (sprint) for the last decade, but I just checked out the Sprint site and it seems like they've finally ditched phone subsidies for SERO plans.

I've got one of the 20% discount codes "reserved" right now, which was kind of a weird process. Anyone want to tell me what the actual process is like when signing up for a new plan? I've got the code written down, and also the tracking number (or whatever it was called) which was given to me after the code was reserved.

Once my number was ported over I called 611 and asked about the discount. They found my reservation and said it would be applied automatically. Two hours later I got this text:

Great News! You have been enrolled in the Insider Hook Up. You will start receiving your 20% off standard T-Mobile ONE voice plans on your first bill.

Once my number was ported over I called 611 and asked about the discount. They found my reservation and said it would be applied automatically. Two hours later I got this text:

Great News! You have been enrolled in the Insider Hook Up. You will start receiving your 20% off standard T-Mobile ONE voice plans on your first bill.

Cool, so I can get my order for my new lines in at T-Mobile, and confirm the discount is applied later. Thanks!

Voidance

I think I already know the answer (no), but wanted to ask anyway: is there a way to apply a hookup code to an existing account? I signed up in February and wasn't aware of the codes at that time.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
can the hookup thing be stacked with employee discounts?

I literally just switched from ATT yesterday. I found a code today and reserved it. If I don't get my sim in the mail before the 31 will this not work?

Particle Physicist

Does the free unlimited HD streaming get added on automatically or is there some other process for that?

Speaking of signal improvement with T-Mobile. My wife has the V-20 and I still have my V-10. She gets better signal on the V-20. Certain places we go into I will lose signal but hers will never drop. So, I think the phone itself can have a lot to do with it too.

toohectic

Locking only decides if the phone will accept another carrier's SIM card. It is separate from porting a number.

So I'm still unclear if I need to make sure that my phone is unlocked before I begin the porting process since I still want to use the same phone with T-Mobile. If I attempt to port a phone that is currently locked on contract, will that prevent me from using the phone on the new carrier? Or does porting a number also take care of the locked status? (I assume not unless the ETF fees are fully paid. Our contract for the iPhone 6S still has about 6 months remaining of the 2 year contract with AT&T. The two other lines that we are porting over have phones that are unlocked.)

I just want to make sure that the phone number that we are porting over is not unusable while we wait for the locked status to clear. (Without getting a new phone of course.)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This is gonna be a potentially dumb question, but it's been years since I've been in a cell phone specific retail store--If I drop in at a TMobile retail store will the prices on plans and phones reflect what's on the website? I figure instead of waiting 2 to 4 days for a phone to be shipped to me I could just go to the store to get what I want. Will I still qualify for the 20% off offer I signed up for this way?

This is gonna be a potentially dumb question, but it's been years since I've been in a cell phone specific retail store--If I drop in at a TMobile retail store will the prices on plans and phones reflect what's on the website? I figure instead of waiting 2 to 4 days for a phone to be shipped to me I could just go to the store to get what I want. Will I still qualify for the 20% off offer I signed up for this way?

Yes. You'll almost certainly have to pay their bullshit SIM fee, though.

So I'm still unclear if I need to make sure that my phone is unlocked before I begin the porting process since I still want to use the same phone with T-Mobile. If I attempt to port a phone that is currently locked on contract, will that prevent me from using the phone on the new carrier? Or does porting a number also take care of the locked status? (I assume not unless the ETF fees are fully paid. Our contract for the iPhone 6S still has about 6 months remaining of the 2 year contract with AT&T. The two other lines that we are porting over have phones that are unlocked.)

I just want to make sure that the phone number that we are porting over is not unusable while we wait for the locked status to clear. (Without getting a new phone of course.)

A locked phone will have to be paid off before it can be used with a different network. Pay off the phone, request an unlock, then you can use it on the new network.

pdk27

I've had T-Mobile for a couple of years now and it was a little spotty at the beginning but it's been just fine since I got my iPhone 7 with the extra LTE that T-Mobile uses. I got on the 2 phones unlimited everything for $100 promotion that they had so my bill went down $60 per month from AT&T where I had unlimited but the wife only had 2 GB per month.

Even better was last summer T-Mobile ran a promotion that they were lifting the data rate cap on the international coverage. So I traveled around Europe with unlimited LTE.

I shit you not, I've been with T-Mobile since they were a local carrier called VoiceStream and before T-Mobile bought them out. (late 90's).

I've always been pretty happy with them and never understood the rep they had with some people. I'll definitely pay less for fantastic service in the city. I don't milk cows for a living. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

clav

I've always been pretty happy with them and never understood the rep they had with some people. I'll definitely pay less for fantastic service in the city.

Some areas T-Mobile has absolutely zero coverage especially out in the Midwest suburbs.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I haven't had any problems since I switched to them a few years back. They're great.

I'm still on the Simple Choice NA plan, should I switch to One?

Looks like some of the codes on that guy's twitter account aren't all used up (redemption up to 5 times). I used
W9N1S4N7
and I reserved my spot. Now two weeks to decide if I'm going to switch from AT&T .....

Husker86

I shit you not, I've been with T-Mobile since they were a local carrier called VoiceStream and before T-Mobile bought them out. (late 90's).

I've always been pretty happy with them and never understood the rep they had with some people. I'll definitely pay less for fantastic service in the city. I don't milk cows for a living. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Pretending TMobile was any good outside the coasts (slight exaggeration) as recent as 4 years ago is just plain ignoring reality. Yeah, I'm sure it was great in some cities, but it was a far distant 4th (lower if you counted regional carriers, probably) not long ago.

cyber_ninja

Decided to give them a call and they told me that it might take up to two weeks to get my discount confirmation.

Edit: Just got my confirmation at last. So my old bill at Att was 165$ for 2 lines with 20 gigs of data and payments for Galaxy s6. Now my bill is going to be $105 all unlimited including 2 new Galaxy S7 edge phones. Thank you guys for letting me know about that promo.

Syriel

The phone number goes with the SIM.
The lock on the phone determines what carrier SIM you can use.

So you can port a number to T-Mobile and that number will then "live" on the TMO SIM. If your ATT phones are still locked to ATT, you can't use the TMO SIM in them, but you can use that TMO SIM in any unlocked phone with your number.

The "lock" status only talks about the carrier the phone hardware is limited to using.

The phone number is not "locked" to the carrier.

If you want to use your ATT phones on TMO, you will need to ensure that they are unlocked, however that can be done before or after you port, as it is not tied to the porting process in any way.

Does that make sense?

Particle Physicist

FYI I just unlocked my Att phones pretty easy online. Just google Att unlock phones. It took about 24 hours after submitting. I think you have to have your phone completely paid off in order to do it.

Acrylic7

Switched from crappy Sprint about a year ago. Great service.
using a unlocked Moto x pure as a pre-paid phone and life is good.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Just got home from the Apple Store. Picked up a 128GB Space Gray iPhone SE and signed up for T-Mobile service. Updating the phone now so I can restore from my iPhone 5c's backup. Gotta call up AT&T tomorrow to cancel my service and maybe give a ring to validate that the 20% office was activated successfully--unless that's online somewhere I can check.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Okay, got the phone restored with my old iPhone's data and I'm currently syncing my content back onto it.

When I try to call out, I get dumped to T-Mobile's automated help line and it asks me to put in my phone number for help...when I do that I get told my number isn't in the system.

So I downloaded the T-Mobile app and it asked to look up my information. The number it's returning isn't my phone number and isn't even a local number. Ugh, of course this wasn't going to be easy. Guess I'll be calling T-Mobile tomorrow.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Talked to someone with a thick accent on the phone and they seemed to imply my account wasn't active. So fuck, now I'm without a phone, what bullshit.

Guess I'll have to wake up early tomorrow and drop in at a T-Mobile Location to see what they can do to help. Hooray.

Edit: Wouldn't be surprised if this fucked me out of the 20% off offer in the process. That was the only reason I bothered with T-Mobile in the first place, otherwise I would have given Sprint my business.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Okay, just called back and I was told my AT&T pin number was incorrect, which is strange because I just updated it Tuesday in anticipation of the switchover. I made a new one on my AT&T account and called back with it and I seem to now be getting activation texts from T-Mobile. Hopefully the 20% offer is in there soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom