• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mario Kart 8 Deluxe gameplay

DavidDesu

This will be the first Mario Kart I've owned and the first I've played for about 10 years...

Game looks amazing and ultimately it looks fun. Can't wait to play it.

Can you go into more detail about the novice-friendly features and if they're "game-changers" for those who've never played MK? Wife tried MK8 on Wii U and just couldn't navigate through the tracks. Would she now be able to compete with this?

TheContact

MK 8 had the stupid design of giving last placers the best rolls so they could just hit the lightning or blue shell and win, yes?

Can you go into more detail about the novice-friendly features and if they're "game-changers" for those who've never played MK? Wife tried MK8 on Wii U and just couldn't navigate through the tracks. Would she now be able to compete with this?

Driving assist helps you to stay on the road. Perfect for playing with little kids (and grown ups that are very bad video games)

I'm actually super happy there are 3 stages of drift boost again. It seemed weird in vanilla 8 that there were only 2. I'm so hyped for this game and the language races and battles I'll have at work

Robin64

I wonder how the third boost will change things up for time trials. I also wonder if it's a "fix" for fire-hopping, making that less desirable.

Aleh

Odd choice to bring back just 3 retro maps and not have 4 old 4 new.
I think it's because technically Urchin Underpass is an 'old' map from Splatoon.

Anyways, this looks like the perfect Mario Kart. If only we could disable the timer in balloon battles...

I wonder how the third boost will change things up for time trials. I also wonder if it's a "fix" for fire-hopping, making that less desirable.

It looks like it takes ages to charge. If you look at the current time trial world records on the Wii U version, there are very few places where players hold the orange sparks for a long time. Even then, two successive orange drifts may give a longer boost than a purple+blue.

MK 8 had the stupid design of giving last placers the best rolls so they could just hit the lightning or blue shell and win, yes?

I mean, statistically, yes they have greater odds at getting the better items, but a blue shell won't give you first place if you're last place and the same goes with lighting.

Not sure why you think that.

Game looks fantastic mode and I cannot wait to play the real battle mode.

Ducktail

MK8 is one of my favourite racing games ever. I'm really on the fence about this deluxe edition, since I bought all available DLC for the standard edition... but this looks amazing. It was already such a beautiful game to begin with.

Galang

Banned
Looks great! They just need to add Kirby and the game will be perfect. I can live without diddy if it means we're getting a new Diddy Kong racing.. but otherwise that's another weird exclusion

Isn't this every Mario Kart? Lol

Any of the previewers who could check if the music volume is still pretty low? Especially in Multiplayer there's pretty much only game sounds that you hear and barely any of the music. Would love it if they added a simple volume slider. The music's too good to not get to hear it.

YES!
This has annoyed me since day one and nobody ever notices/talks about it.
Apparently this game has a great soundtrack but I don't know how anybody is able to hear it properly, the mixes in this game and Xenoblade X were absolutely dreadful.

Yoshi88

YES!
Apparently this game has a great soundtrack but I don't know how anybody is able to hear it properly, the mixes in this game and Xenoblade X were absolutely dreadful.

This right here was my biggest gripe with the game. It legitimately has one of Nintendos best soundtracks of all time. And you can't hear a thing, even less in Multiplayer. It's a real shame.

Vidiot

Such awesome news to hear battle mode let's us change options such as time limit and turning off cpu players and no teams. Havent enjoyed a battle mode since MKDS and now FINALLY I can enjoy battle mode again. This is gonna get some crazy amounts of play time from me and me friends.

YES!

This right here was my biggest gripe with the game. It legitimately has one of Nintendos best soundtracks of all time. And you can't hear a thing, even less in Multiplayer. It's a real shame.
Weird... Can't say I've noticed this at all.

Yoshi88

Huh? The sound mix in MK8 was fine. You guys have weird sound systems.

Maybe :(
But i think we can all agree that - as simple as Nintendo wants to keep the settings in games like Mario Kart - two sliders for music and SFX volume wouldn't hurt, would they?

Man i don't know what kind of setup you guys have but that's such a bizarre thing for me to read today. Never once have I had that issue nor have i heard anyone complain about it. When i think of MK8, i think of the amazing soundtrack.

Have you guys tried playing it on the Gamepad? Is the music still quiet that way?

roytheone

But how the hell is the game only a 7gb download...I guess i will go digital with Mario Kart...

I am thinking about going digitally since it would be nice to have this game ready to go whenever I want to play a race without having to switch cards, but I expect the digital version to be more expensive then the physical one :(

Yoshi88

Man i don't know what kind of setup you guys have but that's such a bizarre thing for me to read today. Never once have I had that issue nor have i heard anyone complain about it. When i think of MK8, i think of the amazing soundtrack.

Have you guys tried playing it on the Gamepad? Is the music still quiet that way?

I can't say the Gamepad only experience differed much. It's not that the music is too quiet, but when you're playing splitscreen with 3+ people there is a constant barrage of SFX of all kinds fighting the music down. You can still hear it but it's a far cry from hearing the tracks isolated as a YT video from the OST f.ex. It's just not worthy of such godly composed and produced music.

Shahadan

Both TV and gamepad (also PC monitor with speakers come to think of it) had the same problem for me, other games were fine. *shrugs*
In any case sound options seemed like the bare minimum these days to me but guess Nintendo decided otherwise

I have the game preordered for now but am conflicted. I put an ungodly amount of time in the Wii U version and the lack of new tracks kind of bums me out. It's an amazing game, though. If you've never played it, you simply must.

ryushe

Huh? The sound mix in MK8 was fine. You guys have weird sound systems.
I had no issues with the mix myself (unlike Xenoblade X), but as someone who doesn't care to hear the sfx, it was very annoying that there weren't any audio options.

Top Bottom