• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockband - New Information From Game Informer

M3wThr33

Banned
beelzebozo said:
guitar hero is so dead.
Maybe, but the name is now a part of the culture. It'll sell for generations because people know the name.
It's good to see competition in music games again, though.
I mean, Konami pretty much gave up here, so Harmonix filled in, unchallenged. (No, the Ubisoft rapper-culture games don't count.)

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
dfyb said:
i don't think GH3 will be offering much that rock band doesn't have covered.

Battle mode appeals to me quite a bit which is rare since I love co-op and especially 4 player co-op so much.

But aside from the awesome battle mode and possibly better songs/lack of the extra 5 fret stupidity, rock band has it all. Now I've just got to find a singer and a drummer for me and my guitar buddies like gowans and mack to play with :)

M3wThr33

Banned
Well, given this has online, I am willing to say now that I love karaoke. So if you get the PS3 version, you are welcome to have me be your lead vocals.

Gigglepoo

I want this so bad. The solo aspects remind me of remixing in Amplitude. This will have everything a music fan could possible want... except Even Flow.

mik

mik is unbeatable
The guitar doesn't look like a toy anymore. The fret buttons aren't colored--instead the colors are on the side of the neck, where the player can actually see them. It's a sweet-looking controller.

mik said:
The guitar doesn't look like a toy anymore. The fret buttons aren't colored--instead the colors are on the side of the neck, where the player can actually see them. It's a sweet-looking controller.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Guitar Hero 3? I don't believe anybody's seen the Rock Band guitar... unless you to have this mag.

Edit: to, two, too man I suck.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Sallokin said:
-

- Will feature full support for four player online play on both 360 and PS3. Any combination of on/offline play will work and each player can pick their own difficulty setting.

Nice work typing that up lolllolol.

Poor wii, why doesnt it get online play

The Eatable Arab said:
rockband won't be the next GH because it'll be too complex for average joe

True, but MTV support will close the gap. Whover gets their logo at the end of the RockBand commercial wins the holiday console race.

You heard it here first.

The Eatable Arab said:
rockband won't be the next GH because it'll be too complex for average joe

That is exactly what people said about Guitar Freaks, saying that, unlike DDR, they were un-accessible for the average joe and all. Right now, the argument seems pretty ridiculous.

Yours will be, too.

Wow. 5 extra frets near the body for solos? That ****ing owns. I am so going to skip out on GHIII now. This game will own my soul, $200 be damned.

So many sweet decisions for gameplay.

And yes, Say It Ain't So >>>>>>>> My Name Is Jonas.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I wonder. Will the Rockband guitar be compatible with Guitar Hero?

Guitar Hero 3 you mean? I'm guessing not since it's different publishers/developers/whatever, but it'd be awesome if it does. I want both games but not if I need multiple guitars just to play each game

Neo_ZX

Damn I wasn't gonna buy a PS3 for quite some time but I don't know if I'll be able to hold out on this. I can't imagine blowing $1000 to play one game.

arab

Littleberu said:
That is exactly what people said about Guitar Freaks, saying that, unlike DDR, they were un-accessible for the average joe and all. Right now, the argument seems pretty ridiculous.

Yours will be, too.

many people who play guitar hero, infact i'm willing to say a large chunk of it, have trouble with 3 and 4 frets by themselves. 10 frets just seems like a turnoff to them

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
The Eatable Arab said:
many people who play guitar hero, infact i'm willing to say a large chunk of it, have trouble with 3 and 4 frets by themselves. 10 frets just seems like a turnoff to them

I agree, but I think Harmonix will take this into account and make easy and medium accessible to casual gamers.

You will use these new buttons during specially designed solo sections using ONLY hammer ons and pull offs, no having to worry about your strum bar.

Only Hammer-on and pull-offs for solos? That sounds lame to me.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
teruterubozu said:
yeah, but, i bet they did it so people could feel "cool" doing some van halen shit on the fretboard.

there is a method to this madness

C4Lukins

I was almost hoping this would suck so I could save money and stick with the old Guitar Hero. Now I have to buy all of this extra shit. I am glad though not to have to give Activision another dime. Good job Activision, your downloadable content prices really worked wonders. Now that you have had a couple of months to correct the problem and still have not, you can go to hell.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
If those Gamestop prices end up being correct, is this game going to cost $340 if you buy all the components separately? Hope they do go with an all-in-one bundle that includes two guitars for $200, but I don't see how that's possible if these prices are even ballpark.

Game - 60
Drums - 80
Wireless Guitar - 80
Wireless Guitar (for bass) - 80
Mic - 40

M3wThr33

Banned
Eggo said:
If those Gamestop prices end up being correct, is this game going to cost $340 if you buy all the components separately? Hope they do go with an all-in-one bundle that includes two guitars for $200, but I don't see how that's possible if these prices are even ballpark.

Game - 60
Drums - 80
Wireless Guitar - 80
Mic - 40

Uhh, it'd be cheaper to use another USB mic. Like $20 less. Or free for those who have it. But yeah, this is an investment.

Coming from the guy who spent $200 on the limited edition of DJ Max Portable 2. :D

jonezer4

teruterubozu said:

They said "specially designed solo sections". You'll likely use the new buttons for finger-tapping (made popular by the aforementioned Eddie Van Halen), which is when you play by tapping your strumming hand on the fret board. I'm sure traditonal portions of solos won't be affected, but I've always wished there was something like what's being described here for the obviously tapped spots in Guitar Hero solos.

Jube3

Eggo said:

Game - 60
Drums - 80
Wireless Guitar - 80
Mic - 40

Well guitar hero II was 90 with the guitar, so we might see a Rockband + guitar bundle + drums for 150 maybe. Or maybe with the mic as well for 200.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I doubt those Gamestop prices are real, they were up like a week after the game got announced. Pretty sure it'll change.

But if we want to believe it, Ebgames had Guitar Hero listed for $50 months before it came out and price raised to $69.99 when the final price was revealed. Soo....I guess Rock Band will be more expensive than what is listed :lol

Tobor

The song list is going to be much much harder to balance than GH. They have to pick songs that are fun for all the instruments and for the singer. It will be very interesting to see if they can pull it off.

'Say it Aint So' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again' are excellent starts.

Jirotrom

Im happy that my Guitar Hero 2 guitars are going to waste now...damn this is awesome but I think I might rather focus on my actual instruments. I'll start to feel bad that Im practicing a game rather than practicing my own instruments.

Sallokin said:
- 4 songs announced in the article, not sure if this is new or old but whatever.
Weezer - Say It Ain't So - Original Master Track
Black Sabbath - Paranoid - Original Master Track
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - Original Master Track
Nirvana - In Bloom - Original Master Track
:O

Guitar Hero what?

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Tobor said:
The song list is going to be much much harder to balance than GH. They have to pick songs that are fun for all the instruments and for the singer. It will be very interesting to see if they can pull it off.

'Say it Aint So' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again' are excellent starts.

Man, I can't wait to hear 14 year olds mauling 'Say It Ain't So' with their breaking voices. :lol

Tobor

alistairw said:
Man, I can't wait to hear 14 year olds mauling 'Say It Ain't So' with their breaking voices. :lol

Singers better bring some chops online, or there will be heckling the likes of which Xbox Live has never seen.

Raistlin

Sallokin said:
- Guitars and Bass now have 10 frets. 5 for the regular sections of the game and 5 for the newly designated solo sections.

Sorry ... just started reading the thread.

Ummm 0_o Holy shits!!!

Raistlin

BTW - Got say after reading all the info ... this is utterly amazing.

I will own all, day and date. So sweet!

This will be so fun to play ... and I've been looking for an excuse to learn some drums. This should actually give me a bit of a crash course on how to hit up a 5-piece.

Jirotrom

all you folks that will be buying this game please go out and support music education by purchasing an instrument for yourself or siblings or friends sometime in the future...that is if you dont already play an instrument. SUPPORT THE ARTS...and yes rock is a part of the arts.

Jirotrom

Onix said:
BTW - Got say after reading all the info ... this is utterly amazing.

I will own all, day and date. So sweet!

This will be so fun to play ... and I've been looking for an excuse to learn some drums. This should actually give me a bit of a crash course on how to hit up a 5-piece.
thats what I like to hear.

Raistlin

Jirotrom said:
all you folks that will be buying this game please go out and support music education by purchasing an instrument for yourself or siblings or friends sometime in the future...that is if you dont already play an instrument. SUPPORT THE ARTS...and yes rock is a part of the arts.

bah ... f\/ck real music!!!!!1!! :lol

BTW - I'm kidding. I play multiple instruments, and am an 'artist'. Unfortunately, I haven't been very involved in the local arts community lately. I'm trying to change that though

Top Bottom