• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockband - New Information From Game Informer

Sallokin

Bo130 said:
Thank you Sallokin. Between this and Brawl, we're entering a great time for all gamers. It sounds amazing! :D

No prob. The game looks nice. It's definitely more slick looking than GH. The venues look great and the characters definitely are an improvement.

robochimp said:

That's about right, but the frets only show color on the top. The head on view like that looks like a normal fret board. That placement is correct though.

StrikerObi said:
But this interview with Harmonix again says otherwise

Cool, hadn't seen that.

After reading the interview and seeing how un-rushed they seem to be on getting the Wii version out the door, it makes me wonder if they're moving from an every-year refresh strategy (like Guitar Hero) to a totally DLC-centric strategy with major updates every couple of years. So, if the Wii version drops 6-8 months after the 360/PS3 versions, maybe it's not a big deal since they're not releasing another physical disc for the other systems a few months after that for Xmas?

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Sallokin said:
Weezer - Say It Ain't So - Original Master Track
Black Sabbath - Paranoid - Original Master Track
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - Original Master Track
Nirvana - In Bloom - Original Master Track

Couldn't they release a song with a decent solo if they're going to hype up this solo function? And why only hammer on for the solo sections? Bah.

4 more pop songs, although at least this weezer song I know.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy ****ing Wrong.

Like, wow. I need to sit down that is so wrong.

I think SiAS is better than Jonas, but even if Jonas was a better song, Say it Ain't So is a better song for either of these games. Jonas is pretty boring, guitar wise. It's got that catchy acoustic riff and then it just turns into a really simple note structure. Say it Ain't So is sort of the same, but just more varied. Plus it's got a great solo. It's also more fun to sing.

StrikerObi said:
I think SiAS is better than Jonas, but even if Jonas was a better song, Say it Ain't So is a better song for either of these games. Jonas is pretty boring, guitar wise. It's got that catchy acoustic riff and then it just turns into a really simple note structure. Say it Ain't So is sort of the same, but just more varied. Plus it's got a great solo. It's also more fun to sing.

I'd still rather play a better song. I had some of the most fun in GHII stone nailing Possum Kingdom because it is the greatest song ever recorded by a living human being.

Jube3

Man talk about setting bars, this feature set is just rediculous. I am so pumped for this game right now. I figured they were just gonna do GH2 with instruments + online but wow...blew the doors off.

GCQuinton

BenjaminBirdie said:
horatio460.jpg

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Beaten :lol

This game's gonna be (channeling Donald Trump) HUUUUUGGGGEE!

JavaMava

It's official.

This is going to be the Halo/GTA of this gen. This is revolutionary. It wasn't graphics, it was't motion control, it was just an old fashioned great idea for a game.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
- Guitars and Bass now have 10 frets. 5 for the regular sections of the game and 5 for the newly designated solo sections.

**** this so hard, oh my God. I'm glad I'm not buying this game anyway or I'd kill myself.

M3wThr33

Banned
This is interesting.
Because the drums are only 5 total, you say? I hope to get the issue soon.
drum4.jpg

kde06001_01w.jpg

Drummania uses 6 total, like most drum sets.
That's surprising because they ADDED frets as compared to Guitar Freaks.

I imagine during the solo part, the 5 separate buttons near the neck just work like normal buttons, but it's more for the experience of rocking out, rather than making the game more difficult, because I'm sure you've done it yourself while playing the game.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Do we have screenshots of actual gameplay yet? Curious as to how these transparent fretboards are going to look if the action in the background is going nuts. This game is incredibly ambitious.

Gigglepoo

GCQuinton said:
They might as well put the other two CSI songs in. Baba O' Riley would be perfect for this.

Maybe the Pearl Jam cover since it doesn't use the synthesizer. I'd be all over there.

JavaMava

So what are you guys getting?

I've already got a 360 GHII controller, but I'm going to get this new controller as well. 5 extra frets, plus effects... to much to pass up. I'm also going to buy the drum set.

My buddy will get the controller and probably the mic.....

I'm way to hyped for this game right now. More so than Halo/GTA/Mario/SBB. This wait is going to kill me.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Eggo said:
Do we have screenshots of actual gameplay yet? Curious as to how these transparent fretboards are going to look if the action in the background is going nuts. This game is incredibly ambitious.

If I read correctly, all four (or however many) note boards will be on the same screen. That would be horrible, no wonder it'll be transparent.

This game has potential, but it's not worth the price in my opinion.

JavaMava

Emerson said:
If I read correctly, all four (or however many) note boards will be on the same screen. That would be horrible, no wonder it'll be transparent.

This game has potential, but it's not worth the price in my opinion.

How's it not worth the price? You're not meant to buy all the controllers. You buy one, some friends buy one. You play together and share when one of you wants to try the others.

M3wThr33

Banned
Like I figured, USB microphones will work. So that means the SOCOM headsets will work, too. No need to add bluetooth, as those are all headsets, rather than microphones.
So you can invest in a USB mic now, or try to pick up a Karaoke Revolution game or Get on Da Mic for cheap with them bundled. That's how I got mine.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Gigglepoo said:
And what price is that? They haven't announced anything yet.

I thought a while back they announced something like 300 bucks, people freaked, and the company bailed out and lowered it a bit.

I know you're not supposed to buy them all. Regardless, I'd rather stick with GH.

dfyb

Banned
i doubt i'll need to get another guitar hero game after 80's hero. rock band is everything i expected and more.

guitar is a definite for me. drums sound awesome if i can afford the accessory. i'll have mics from singstar. :D

Gigglepoo

Emerson said:
I thought a while back they announced something like 300 bucks, people freaked, and the company bailed out and lowered it a bit.

That never actually happened. There was information leaked from a focus group that stated Harmonix was thinking about different bundle combination. One of which would include the Drum Kit, Microphone, Wireless Guitar and Game for $200. When you consider how much Guitar Hero costs with just the game and guitar, $200 for two more instruments seems more than reasonable. If they end up releasing that pack it will be hard to resist. I expect other packs, such as Guitar + Game, will cost the same as Guitar Hero 3.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Gigglepoo said:
That never actually happened. There was information leaked from a focus group that stated Harmonix was thinking about different bundle combination. One of which would include the Drum Kit, Microphone, Wireless Guitar and Game for $200. When you consider how much Guitar Hero costs with just the game and guitar, $200 for two more instruments seems more than reasonable. If they end up releasing that pack it will be hard to resist. I expect other packs, such as Guitar + Game, will cost the same as Guitar Hero 3.

I see. Good deal or not, though, I'm not going to pay 200 bucks for any game. A single instrument, I'll consider, reviews and all that. This game is going to have to convince me why I need it instead of GH 3, when GH 3 is really all I need.

M3wThr33

Banned
Emerson said:

I know you're not supposed to buy them all. Regardless, I'd rather stick with GH.

Gamestop listed the peripherals with prices before the game was announced. So Harmonix claimed that price wasn't final.

However.

The listed price for Time Crisis 4 was correct, as was GH 80s Encore. I see little reason to doubt the pricing of the devices, especially given the improvements to the guitar. However, I'm a little puzzled at the price of the drum set.

Senger

Anyone else think that the song selection might be limited by the vocal part of Rock Band? Some songs in Guitar Hero 2 are fun to play but either don't have any lyrics at all or have vocals that would be pretty weird for a karaoke type of game.

dfyb

Banned
Emerson said:
I see. Good deal or not, though, I'm not going to pay 200 bucks for any game. A single instrument, I'll consider, reviews and all that. This game is going to have to convince me why I need it instead of GH 3, when GH 3 is really all I need.
online functionality? variety?

GH will feel like an incomplete game standing next to rockband.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
M3wThr33 said:
Gamestop listed the peripherals with prices before the game was announced. So Harmonix claimed that price wasn't final.

However.

The listed price for Time Crisis 4 was correct, as was GH 80s Encore. I see little reason to doubt the pricing of the devices, especially given the improvements to the guitar. However, I'm a little puzzled at the price of the drum set.

Having been one of those who freaked before the 360 launch, saying "It's just Gamestop! They won't really be 59.99!" I've learned that if GameStop puts something up, it's almost certainly coming (GameStop put Oblivion PS3 up months before Bethesda would confirm it) and the price is going to be correct as well.

Didn't see the Rock Band prices though.

EDIT:
online functionality? variety?

GH will feel like an incomplete game standing next to rockband.

GH3 will have online, last I checked.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
The game just keeps sounding better and better. If Harmonix can deliver this will be an epic experience.

M3wThr33 said:
Like I figured, USB microphones will work. So that means the SOCOM headsets will work, too. No need to add bluetooth, as those are all headsets, rather than microphones.
So you can invest in a USB mic now, or try to pick up a Karaoke Revolution game or Get on Da Mic for cheap with them bundled. That's how I got mine.

yep. only 360 owners get screwed...

M3wThr33

Banned
Doesn't the 360 have USB ports?

I like how they deal with 'losing' in the game. You go gray until Star Power hits.
Much better than in GFDM. Playing that in arcades can be tough, because everyone is on the same difficulty level AND you all share one life bar. So you can't just grab a bunch of friends and have a jam session. They need to be experienced.
Rockband doesn't have that flaw.

Another thought.
Cramming 15 frets onto the screen (5 for each) and a pitch scale on the bottom is going to pretty much demand you need a widescreen TV. :-/

The Gamestop Rockband prices:
Guitar: $60
Wireless Guitar: $80
Mic: $40
Drums: $60

It kind of irks me that they added five more buttons to the guitar. From the description it sounded like they just added them to guilt the GH owners to buy the new guitar.

The drum set still sounds killer though!

JavaMava

Senger said:
Anyone else think that the song selection might be limited by the vocal part of Rock Band? Some songs in Guitar Hero 2 are fun to play but either don't have any lyrics at all or have vocals that would be pretty weird for a karaoke type of game.

I think their going to pick recognizable and popular songs more so than "rawrrr metal is teh hard!!!" type songs... not that I have anything against metal. I just had more fun with a song that was more about mastering and performing well (Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo, Jessica, ect..) instead of alt strumming a series of greens with the occasional chord thrown in quick.

Spooks

This sounds friggin awesome!

They should make a microphone stand for the mic so people can do Vocals + guitar or Vocals + Drums :D.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
dfyb said:
what i was talking about was the whole create a band aspect.

Oh. Well I don't really feel like depending on 3 other people to advance my game career, though I'm sure it'd be fun.

jonezer4

Wario64 said:
Rockband is just an imitator.

And your avatar is too damn tall.

Yes, I know it's "imitator" as evidenced by the link I posted with my reply. I can be poking fun at someone by paraphrasing their statement and not using an absolute direct quote.

My avatar is 31 pixels tall and this forum sizes it up for whatever reason.

dfyb

Banned
Emerson said:
Oh. Well I don't really feel like depending on 3 other people to advance my game career, though I'm sure it'd be fun.
you can just play guitar alone then.

i don't think GH3 will be offering much that rock band doesn't have covered.

Top Bottom