• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you ever buy a VR device?

My wife bought me a Vive for Christmas and I gotta say it was pretty mind blowing the first month of so but after awhile the excitement dies down a little and reality sets in. Things start to bug me like the muddy visuals and low resolution. The fantasy of playing long games like Fallout come crashing down when I begin to realize that there's no way in hell I'd want to play something like that in VR. VR is taxing. VR can be exhausting. It can make me sick.

So then it comes down to what the hell I want to do on it and I'm not sure I know right now. Certain experiences like Superhot VR or Audioshield can be absolutely incredible but honestly many of the things out there are just.....filler. People are still finding their way. I think it has tremendous potential to be.... something..... but the don't think anyone really knows what that is yet.

To prospective buyers with limited money I'd recommend waiting for better hardware and to see where this goes.

After trying out Oculus DK2, Oculus Retail, PSVR and Vive. My answer is no, they were ok, but for the current prices and titles/experiences available. I'm just not interested, maybe one day, but currently, no.

HTC Vive is one of the most incredible things I've ever experienced. I've had it for exactly 12 months and it still blows me away and provides some of my best moments in gaming.

And no, Oculus and PSVR don't compare.

Until you've tried full, walkable, 360 roomscale in a large space (which Oculus with 3-4 sensors can provide) then you haven't really tried VR, IMO.

One of my personal favourite experiences is Pavlov VR - it's basically Counter Strike: VR. An important aspect of hand-tracked VR that people forget is that simple, mundane gameplay activities like reloading become satisfying and full-fledged game mechanics. It's honestly astounding how much the little things become compelling and fun. See: reloading in Pavlov.

5C72B16E7EAD66D09EC8604C453D9AA3B2973F7D

49A19A5B2345AD487F8258D46DC6F02D7A2124A0

58bcd487ba52c.gif

pavlov-vr-gif-01.gif

58bcd487bb429.gif

This is what I see most often. Because of the incredible tracking of the Vive. Which Sony is Daft for not utilizing, as it was open source, is at the core of the best current VR experience. It's basically a generation ahead of other headsets because or that alone.

Now it's about resolution, performance and locomotion and without holodeck I really don't know how you would/could solve the last part. Without it, VR will always be limited.

phanphare

Banned
Yep, it's fair enough even though I can't empathise, and the bolded will definitely happen. We're already seeing big headway on that within one year of gen 1 launching.

yeah that's encouraging. the trade off between the experiences offered and wearing a headset will certainly be worth it for me at a certain threshold.

It's generations away at best. I won't say never, but the software isn't there, immersion has rarely ever been something I valued about games, first-person views don't work well with me as it is, VR isn't an obvious conceptual fit for anything I actually play (nor do developers seem interested in making it fit), and all of this makes it look like luxury tech that would just sit around and can't compete for the budget against a long shopping list of desirable luxury tech.

StarPhlox

I must admit I'm curious about PSVR since my initial experiences with it at a friend's house were extremely enjoyable. However, he let me borrow it for RE7 and I was so sick after a few minutes I couldn't do anything else that night. May just not be for me :(

KORNdoggy

already own one. and i love it. most impactful thing i've experienced in gaming since jumping to 3D with the PSone. even if its just a fad and lasts a couple years i'd be more than happy with what i've experienced

Blam

HTC Vive is one of the most incredible things I've ever experienced. I've had it for exactly 12 months and it still blows me away and provides some of my best moments in gaming.

And no, Oculus and PSVR don't compare.

Until you've tried full, walkable, 360 roomscale in a large space (which Oculus with 3-4 sensors can provide) then you haven't really tried VR, IMO.

One of my personal favourite experiences is Pavlov VR - it's basically Counter Strike: VR. An important aspect of hand-tracked VR that people forget is that simple, mundane gameplay activities like reloading become satisfying and full-fledged game mechanics. It's honestly astounding how much the little things become compelling and fun. See: reloading in Pavlov.

5C72B16E7EAD66D09EC8604C453D9AA3B2973F7D

49A19A5B2345AD487F8258D46DC6F02D7A2124A0

58bcd487ba52c.gif

pavlov-vr-gif-01.gif

58bcd487bb429.gif

Gotta agree Pavlov is an incredibly fun game to play and it works perfectly on both the rift and the Vive.

low-G

Given enough time, quality (of games & hardware) & cheap prices, 99% of people on GAF would buy a VR device whether they say so or not.

Everything is just so now that if you like the idea of VR a lot already, and you have a decent amount of money, you can probably justify it to yourself.

It's gonna take a lot of changes to convince people with just a little interest, let alone skeptics. I think most of these people could be convinced if the price / convenience were sufficient. Once they're all the way in the door they'd enjoy the experience, as long as the expenditure didn't affect their lives / other entertainment.

I have an Oculus setup, I love it. I was interested in VR for decades. Were it not for the price drop I'd still not have one.

Gotta agree Pavlov is an incredibly fun game to play and it works perfectly on both the rift and the Vive.

Yeah, Rift does Pavlov / roomscale just fine. (I do have 3 sensors)

Tagyhag

Definitely, but I'm going to wait.

I'd like PC VR and console VR.

For the Vive I want to wait until they have at least 2 or more iterations. I want foveated rendering and 4K screens and the wireless solutions to come.

For PSVR I don't have to wait for 4K but I want roomscale tracking and no more lights as tracking.

While the PSVR is serviceable, once you try actual roomscale games you realize just how much you're missing. I don't EVER want to be limited in VR again.

Godcannon

Given enough time, quality (of games & hardware) & cheap prices, 99% of people on GAF would buy a VR device whether they say so

It's all but a waiting game at this point. When the ps eye was released, it was like over 100 bucks for everything. I waited, got it for 20, and it had a bunch(eh) of software for it by that time.

I mean, never say never, but I can say pretty confidently that I can't foresee a circumstance where VR would interest me. I'm just not into it, the putting something on your head thing just isn't appealing and more so I look at software over hardware, and I just see limits where others see limitless. That's okay though right, people will enjoy and I'm for that, it's just not something I'm interested in whatsoever.

pswii60

I'll buy one when they're much more lightweight, wireless and don't require junk to be set up in my living room to use it (PS camera!)

mikelly

Neo Member
I've been wanting one forever and I finally picked up a PSVR a couple weeks ago. Like many of you, I was afraid the software wasn't going to be satisfying enough but for me but it's been amazing! I've spent so much time on all kinds of games with my kids and wife having a blast passing it around. I've also spent tons of time in games by myself and have absolutely loved it!
It's replaced all my media time and I haven't regretted it one bit. Most of the games that pushed me to jump in (star trek bridge crew etc.) I haven't even gotten/played yet and I'm still loving it.
It's also nice to turn on the side tone setting so I can hear what's going on around me. If I need to I can easily slide the hmd away from my face to see what's going on with kids and such. Haha! The setup etc imo hasn't been near as much of a pain as I thought it might.
I have a really hard time wanting to play anything on my 4k tv with my Pro because of the flat screen. I also just upgraded to those within the last week as well. Good times ahead for VR imo! Skyrim Doom VFR and many others that are already out that I just haven't been able to buy yet? Yes please!

Deepo

I had a Vive for about a month, and that let me get the "must have new toy" phase out of the way. I'll buy a VR device when there's content I feel I must play.

I can't say never, but certainly not this gen. If gen 2 is far better (ie. better resolution, wireless, etc), far cheaper, and has far more content and far more interesting content, I'll jump in.
Right now, it's just not worth it. The experiences seem cool, but they also seem like just that: short experiences rather than awesome productivity or game worlds.

Mesoian

once the software is there, yes.

Everything I've played has been pretty neat as a one off, but has no staying power.

I'm waiting for the Mario 64 of vr games; the one that gets it right and shows everyone how it's supposed to be done.

i caved for PSVR, found a decent deal for headset+camera+vr worlds. simply cannot wait to play RE7, Rez Infinite, Thumper, Statik and the Star Wars vr mission. also curious to see Youtube implementation.

i think i won't be disappointed, i'm old enough to still be kind of impressed by Quake and Duke Nukem 3D.. so this stuff will probably explode my brain.

Like wheels for me to consider buying a VR device I want it to properly work on both consoles and PC. So maybe a PS VR if this Trinus software continues improving?

gogojira

I've owned a PSVR for a while and really enjoy it. Next year I plan to buy a new PC and get on board with whatever the latest greatest VR set is at the time.

SaiyanRaoh

As an unapologetic Oculus owner (3 sensors) of 3 months and new PSVR (as of E3 2017) owner, I may still be in the honeymoon phase but I'm still regularly in disbelief that I own this technology now. Sure there are a LOT of kinks to work out but it's been an incredibly fun ride. Looking forward to what's to come.

Does Neogaf's generally negative response to Oculus stem from Palmer Luckey, Zenimax/Bethesda, the (unless you have 3-4 sensors) seated VR experience or it's exclusives?

I bought a Vive/Rift/PSVR all on day one and play them all daily, I'll definitely be buying the next generation of every headset day one as well. VR is the coolest innovation in gaming since the jump from 2d games ->3d games and I can't wait to see where it goes.

As an unapologetic Oculus owner (3 sensors) of 3 months and new PSVR (as of E3 2017) owner, I may still be in the honeymoon phase but I'm still regularly in disbelief that I own this technology now. Sure there are a LOT of kinks to work out but it's been an incredibly fun ride. Looking forward to what's to come.

Does Neogaf's generally negative response to Oculus stem from Palmer Luckey, Zenimax/Bethesda, the seated VR experience or it's exclusives?

Neogaf hates VR in general so vehemently because many people are wrongfully afraid that VR will overtake the game industry to the point that all games are made for VR and resources are taken away from traditional games and put entirely into VR, which as anyone that's ever tried VR would know is a good thing since VR is soooo damn legit, but people that haven't tried VR automatically assume it's nothing but a useless gimmick that's wasting resources that would be better spent on a traditional game that they'd like.

It's a similar situation to a few years back when alot of big game companies were looking like they were going to leave traditional gaming behind in favor of making nothing but Mobile games. Regardless of the merit of Mobile gaming many people saw it as "my favorite companies will no longer make games for my platform so I must shit all over the platform they are choosing to bring them back to me"

pantsmith

I honestly didn't "get it" until I tried it over at a friend's house. Yeah, VR is the future.

For me, and when I take the plunge, its still a wholly hedonistic expenditure. VR needs to work its way into my life, like how my console is now also my Netflix box, or how my phone is now my defect personal assistant. Tech can't exist for its own sake if it wants to make itself essential.

Bookoo

Yeah most of the excitement is seeing the tech advance. It's hard for me to recommend anyone get one right now because you may not be playing it everyday.

For the most part I use my Rift infrequently and only started using it more because my friend bought one. Another thing is many of the games are short and only a few games actually have a multiplayer base.

Honestly just waiting on the next gen Vive. Hopefully the tech will be improved and I'd like the price to drop just a bit. $800 plus tax is just too much to justify at the moment.

Theonik

Already have. They are already pretty inexpensive tbh. They just need to be better.
Eyeing 2nd Gen Vive, knuckle controllers and a better HMD and I'm upgrading.

I picked up my vive at the post office distribution center to get it on launch day, like $800+

I'll probably buy the next version rumored to come out about two years after the first and I'm guessing at a higher price

Top Bottom