• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you ever buy a VR device?

Probably not too be honest. I just don't see it as being a hit. My bro was impressed with PSVR though as said he would buy if cheaper and a revised version came out.

Matthew23

Yes. After I upgrade in a few months I'll probably go with a Vive. I still want to see how Microsoft's HMDs turn out though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Never say never, but it will take a lot of killer apps and a lot of streamlining of the hardware (smaller, wireless etc.).

I'm just not that attracted to the experience. I'm not one that really immerses fully in entertainment at home. I'm usually multitasking, need to be able to hear and quickly deal with our old dogs that need out or answer work calls or e-mails or respond to my fiance etc. So dealing with a headset, headphones etc. and being totally immersed and out of touch isn't much of an option, and as that's the main draw of VR it's just not something that I have an interest in at this point.

Two simple rule.

First, the device needs to have at least more than 10 good immersive AAA games like Resident Evil 7 as EXCLUSIVE. Otherwise I would just play it on my TV, like I did with RE7. (Why would I buy a device just so I can play the same game in VR instead of TV, It's not like my 4K 60 inch Sony TV is bad or anything.)

Second, EVERY game available on that platform needs to be playable in VR, take PSVR as example, it should be able to play every single PS4 game, even if it's not very well optimised.

So far, none of the VR device seems worth it, too little games supported, too little good exclusives, if any.
I would probably get bored within a week. And then I'll just go back to playing games on TV like always.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My PSVR has sat on the shelf since last November. Told myself to hold off selling it for RE7(which I have yet to even purchase), after already getting bored of it a couple weeks post-launch.

Dabbled in a few light games in between(Psychonauts, I expect you to Die), but I have lost motivation or patience for these lite-experiences.

E3 was kind of the last straw as very little shown gave me confidence in wishing to hold onto my set. Doubtful I will still own mine past July. :/

Would consider giving the tech another chance in the future though, but some major enhancements need to arrive(from Sony at least), especially in terms of tracking and control.

FatboyTim

Maybe.

It will depend entirely on whether the price comes down to make it affordable, before it is killed off by the manufacturers deciding it was only a fad...

(See Kinect and 3D TVs for some blatant examples.)

Bookoo

Kinda interested in the wireless Vive accessories but they seem pretty cumbersome atm and latency is a huge issue I need to be convinced has been resolved before I buy. Cable doesn't bother me too much.

Yea, the Vive thing seems neat, but I do want to see a more elegant solution. For me the cable is extremely annoying. It was better on the Vive because it had more slack than the Rift, but I normally just find myself using snap turning to avoid having to step over or get tangled in it.

That said in Echo Arena I couldn't help but get tangled up in it because I kept losing where I was in the room. That led to multiple wall punches and a knocked over lamp.

Reallink

Once it is better and cheaper. Just not worth it yet.

Probably a Vive successor.

The CV2 and Vive 2 are going to be at minimum the same price, and quite likely even more expensive. Sourcing the highest quality, highest resolution cutting edge displays is not going to get any cheaper, and adding Wireless (which everyone expects/demands), much more elaborate controllers (see Valve Knuckles), and the effective requirement of eyetracking/foveated-rendering to drive what will probably be dual ~4K displays at 120hz is not going to be cheap for the long foreseeable future. Like mobile devices, the high end shit everyone wants will always start at $600-$800+, the functional hand-me downs will be much cheaper. The difference is mobile devices are well into diminishing returns territory, VR is nowhere close, the high end stuff will be vastly and objectively superior. For example PSVR may well be $200-$300 w/camera by the time CV2/Vive2 come out, but it's going to be pure dog shit by comparison.

ElFly

probably not unless it is packed in with something else I want and I cannot avoid it

discounting things like a new smartphone, here

but that's in the short future. maybe in a decade once migraines and normal movement are solved

Three years ago I bought a Google Cardboard for my iPhone. Two years ago I bought a Gear VR and an Android phone just to use with it. Last year I bought a PSVR. I probably would have bought a Scorpio this year until MS did another 180 about VR.

I love virtual reality and I plan to keep supporting it for the foreseeable future. Some people think of it as a replacement for traditional games but it's not. It's just an awesome side thing with its own experiences.

Nick

I absolutely LOVE my PSVR, and the brand new gaming experiences it has provided me. I will never forget putting it on for the first time and feeling like a kid again. I never thought that would happen, really. It really needs some more games, but E3 convinced me that they're still chugging right along in the fun department.

TheRed

I havent got a wheel yet, but I do have project cars. What else is great to play in VR racing?
I only tried PCars once a long time ago now and it left a really really bad impression on me that I haven't reinstalled it since. It ran very badly and looked really bad in VR for how taxing it was to run. It might've got better since then but I'm not sure.

Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally have been more than I need already.

AC doesn't have the menus operable in the HMD but it's still my clear favorite one. Runs really damn good especially if you disable post processing effects. You can super sample to make it look a lot clearer depending on how much power you have. When I finally got a wheel to play with the immersion is just so good it's crazy. Playing not in VR just feels wrong and I never want to do it.

Dirt Rally is also amazing even though you have to use ReVive to play it. Runs reasonably well, at least a lot better than Project Cars did for me, but not quite as good as AC. The tense feeling of whipping your car around corners and barely staying on the track is so good and a different kind of experience from AC. Doing the hill climbs feels like a huge challenge you overcame when feeling like you were physically in that car looking up the hill.

Awesome games that have brought me into the racing sim genre and I'm sure I'll be trying many more in the future. For now they satisfy my racing needs completely and especially make me so glad I have my Vive.

I haven't tried VR yet but assuming it doesn't make me hella sick I'll get one (probably PSVR)

No idea when though, there are some games & experiences I want to check out but not quite enough to justify the purchase atm. I really want to try it out

Zalusithix

I want a Vive, I NEED one after trying it. I feel a VR opinion is not fully educated unless one tries one of Valve's demos, because I played PSVR but it's simply not the same.

The cost though, when the f.. is it gonna drop, here in México it's practically $1050

I doubt we'll see any significant drops until the LG unit hits the market and gives direct competition to the Vive. HTC seems confident in keeping the current prices right now as they consider the Vive to be the "premium" experience. That certainly was the case at launch, but it's become a far less viable claim now that the Touch controllers were released and roomscale tracking was added to the Rift's capabilities. Honestly I think any continued success of the Vive vs the Rift is more due to them not having the Oculus PR stigma than it is from technological superiority. Sure, the roomscale is better on the Vive, but the Touch has some advantages over the Vive wands. In the end it's kind of a wash.

Still, that's the talking point right now for HTC. Once the LG unit hits though, HTC won't be able to run with the "we're superior at roomscale" argument. The LG unit looks to be objectively better in every regard, and uses the same tracking tech. Actually, it might end up using the new Lighthouse 2.0 tracking to be superior even there. With LG being able to claim the "premium" crown from HTC, their only hope to compete will be a reduction in price - which could be rather significant. LG can conceivably undercut HTC from the get go; they make their own display panels and are a much larger company in general.

yyr

Will probably eventually grab a PSVR for Rez and Polybius, if it drops below $200.

That's probably about it, at least until future generations where the tech is better and the price is lower.

cakefoo

I have a Vive, and wouldn't trade it for anything except a higher-res wireless model with eyetracking.

The interactive enhancement has far more longterm appeal for me than the visual enhancement. I would quickly get bored of VR if it just meant more immersive visuals for gamepad games. Fortunately the physical immersion of roomscale and 360 handtracking/headtracking is only getting stronger over time. Games that put real world physical abilities to the test like Superhot VR make the best argument for VR imo.

EdgeXL

I will buy a VR device when it is feasible. That means completely wireless so I can turn around, a reasonable price point and a wide enough library of games that I feel are worth it.

(I actually do have a Gear VR but I assumed the OP meant console/PC VR solutions.

Oh god here we go again.

Yes, I have a PSVR ,Gear VR, and looking into getting a gaming PC with a Rift or Vive down the road. Absolutely love VR, totally game changing for me. Adds so much to immersion, it really is a dream come true for me. And can't wait for the future of these headsets, it's going to be amazing.

RCSI

Buy one? I have two (Oculus DK2 and Rift).

Next VR headset I will go for is a Vive 2. Even if the next VR headsets only offer improved ergonomics, high resolution and improved tracking, I will still put money down. Though for long term sustainability, I do hope to see cheaper headsets in the next round or a tier based approach (current headsets get cheaper, next headsets same price/more expensive for better features).

I will, a hardware generation or two down the line. I'm not gonna be the kind of luddite who misses out on experiencing a compelling new medium because of strange gaming-centric fears. but I am gonna wait a little while for VR to mature.

Kaji AF16

Not during the next few years, at least. I have no temptation to jump into VR just yet, as both hardware and software aren´t looking mature enough as to decide such an investment (in my country, an HTC Vive costs as much as three minimum wages).

On top of that, I play on Xbox... so even if I was interested I wouldn´t have an inmediate option.

Mxrz

I want one. But damn at the price.

Honestly I will probably bite at some point, but now its more a question on whether new hardware revisions are coming.

When it's a compelling enough product for sure.

As it is it's still really expensive and there isn't near a large enough library of compelling software for me.

When a solid headset can be bought for under $300 and there is a stack of games I want to experience I'll make the jump. But that's likely quite a ways away still.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If it ever reaches a point where it's a pair of glasses with no wires, maybe.

I bought my second a week ago lol. I now own a Vive and PSVR. I'd be happy with just my Vive but there are enough VR games coming out through Sony that will never hit PC that made it worth picking up for me. Plenty to play between the two.

McCHitman

Banned
There's a lot of hate for VR and I don't understand it at all. It makes me wonder if the people that hate it, have even tried it at all.

Anybody that i've demoed my PSVR for has been absolutely blown away. It's something that you can't describe, it has to be tried.

I can only imagine the future of VR, because it's awesome as it is now.

Oh right, I have a PSVR and absolutely love it. If I had the room, I would get a Vive as well.

Occam

Already done, bought PSVR at launch. Most amazing gaming experience I've had in ages. Wish it was smaller and wireless, but it's a good start.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
No, I will never buy a VR device. I have no interest in VR gaming whatsoever and there's no other reason I would ever need one. VR in general is something I'll definitely be sitting out, no matter how popular it may become.

Akoi

Yes, I want to see how the knuckles thing works out though.

Maybe will bite if there is a black Friday deal or something.

Already have and will again. I've had a blast with my Vive over the past year and can't imagine not having access to a VR device again.

N30RYU

Bought PSVR at launch. VR is the right step but we aren't there yet.

RE7 is amazing in VR like are games like Rez, Wayward Skyes, and many others.

nynt9

Two simple rule.

First, the device needs to have at least more than 10 good immersive AAA games like Resident Evil 7 as EXCLUSIVE. Otherwise I would just play it on my TV, like I did with RE7. (Why would I buy a device just so I can play the same game in VR instead of TV, It's not like my 4K 60 inch Sony TV is bad or anything.)

Second, EVERY game available on that platform needs to be playable in VR, take PSVR as example, it should be able to play every single PS4 game, even if it's not very well optimised.

So far, none of the VR device seems worth it, too little games supported, too little good exclusives, if any.
I would probably get bored within a week. And then I'll just go back to playing games on TV like always.

I mean, VR completely changes a game to the point that the VR version of a normal game can be considered an exclusive. It doesn't make sense to think of VR games in the same way as regular versions. It's just an entirely different experience.

There's a lot of hate for VR and I don't understand it at all. It makes me wonder if the people that hate it, have even tried it at all.

Anybody that i've demoed my PSVR for has been absolutely blown away. It's something that you can't describe, it has to be tried.

I can only imagine the future of VR, because it's awesome as it is now.

Oh right, I have a PSVR and absolutely love it. If I had the room, I would get a Vive as well.

I think the genuine hate comes from people who are afraid that VR is out to replace traditional gaming the same way mobile gaming felt threatening in that way. And/Or they're annoyed that resources and time are being spent there instead of their traditional games (again ala mobile). I think these do tend to be people that either have no experience with VR, limited experience, or experience with limited versions (like GearVR). Once you've messed around with the medium enough, it's pretty easy to see VR and flat screen gaming can coexist. There's obviously some overlap, but the strengths and weaknesses to both methods are too vast for one to sufficiently replace the other (even if one becomes or stays more popular than the other).

I'd like to try one before making any sort of financial investment in it. Unfortunately nowhere close to me demos it nor do I have any friends who have one, so I'm a nope at the moment.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Gives me a headache, similar to how games with bad screen tearing would affect me in the ps2/xbox generation, Jak III being one of the worst I can recall. Probably related to astigmatisms but I dont know.

I definitely want to be able to enjoy it though.

CEJames

image.php

Already have it. :)

Top Bottom