• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

robotrock

Banned
finished the first boss, on the lead up to the second:
the boss is surt, and you have to do those fire puzzles and stuff. but even after the fire trial setsuna is still on fire

has my game glitched out?

Finished it around half an hour ago - an incredible game. After a good, but not particularly special opening third, it really ramps up into a very memorable experience.

Ninja Theory deserves an immense amount of credit for this game.

//ARCANUM

Does this game have HDR implementation on standard PS4? Or is a Pro required for that? (I know Horizon has HDR on standard PS4, thus why I ask).

Ravelle

Finished it and loved it but nearing the end I had enough of those battles and rune puzzles, there was a lot of backtracking and walking back and forth and some battles dragged on for too long, messing with the pacing.

Also big props to Senua's voice actress, she was phenomenal.

SilentRob

It's six to eight hours long. It's fairly linear too.

I Feel Like im living in a parallel universe everytime I see a six to 8 hour long singleplayer campaign mentioned as short or a catch oO God of War, Uncharted (excluding 4), DmC, enslaved...most of These are about 8 hours Long. A fully realised single Player Game of this length for 30 bucks ist an incredible steal IMO.

tuxfool

Banned
finished the first boss, on the lead up to the second:
the boss is surt, and you have to do those fire puzzles and stuff. but even after the fire trial setsuna is still on fire

has my game glitched out?

Yes. And then if you reload, Global Illumination might break for you. To fix it you need to find a previously opened surt gate (those wicker doors you have to burn through) and it will reset the lighting.

Do I have to use headphones or does the sound design compliment 5.1 surround?

My understanding of binaural audio is it's very much designed for headphones, due to the two microphone recording set-up. It really is a different beast as well compared to conventional listening due to the game's unconventional sound design with all of Senua's
inner voices.

d00d3n

I am fighting the first battle of the game. Killed a couple of dudes, but now three immortal "shadows" have spawned that I don't seem to be able to kill. I have dodged their attacks and attacked them for a while, but nothing happens. What should I do?

Sanke__

I am fighting the first battle of the game. Killed a couple of dudes, but now three immortal "shadows" have spawned that I don't seem to be able to kill. I have dodged their attacks and attacked them for a while, but nothing happens. What should I do?

I think at that point
you are supposed to die

But later in the game
you press R2 to focus and make them vulnerable

And then even later in the game
you hold triangle to do a charge attack to make them vulnerable

You've got to counter them before you can do damage, unless I'm mistaken. Block at just the right moment to parry them. :)

Edit: The person above me has owned me with knowledge. Will spoiler up too.

d00d3n

I think at that point
you are supposed to die

But later in the game
you press R2 to focus and make them vulnerable

And then even later in the game
you hold triangle to do a charge attack to make them vulnerable

You've got to counter them before you can do damage, unless I'm mistaken. Block at just the right moment to parry them. :)

Edit: The person above me has owned me with knowledge. Will spoiler up too.

Thanks!

Wollan

Loving what I've experienced so far. Defeated what was the first boss to me,
Surtr
, and I'm really liking the bleakness of it all.
Initial few encounters combat was both tense yet with a hint of frustration as it throws you right into it with no tutorial (thankfully). The added pressure/promise of perma-death is keeping me on my toes but I'm enjoying the simple tactics and brutality of it which I couldn't say of earlier Ninja Theory games I played.

A very serious interactive journey, having a breather now. Narrative wise this feels completely original.

MrS

Banned
Amazing photos Wozman! The game definitely lived up to expectations. It was a truly unique and unforgettable gaming experience for me. Loved every second of it.

Alastor3

I Feel Like im living in a parallel universe everytime I see a six to 8 hour long singleplayer campaign mentioned as short or a catch oO God of War, Uncharted (excluding 4), DmC, enslaved...most of These are about 8 hours Long. A fully realised single Player Game of this length for 30 bucks ist an incredible steal IMO.

Also, it doesn't overstay it's welcome and have just the right amount of time, it's perfect.

Oh wow
I think GAF impressions are even better than the reviews. And a Ninja Theory game no less.

I'm so pleased for them. Can't wait to buy and play this weekend :)

dragos495

GOTY candidate imho.

Its the perfect blend between "god of war" combat and "journey" feeling.

I want the next god of war to have the exact same style combat but with more animations and enemy variety.

I really liked the boss fights, all of them have memorable move sets and music. The second part of the game was incredible. The gold ps4 headphones have never been so used as in this game. Reaaaaaaly creepy and spine tingling moments, i think my gf had some nightmares about the
blindness challenge and the creepy crawlers and the hands reaching out in that hell area

Really loved the simple puzzles, the illusions the enviromental part of them.

The ending was jaw dropping! Im not tthe type but i can imagine there were a fair amount of people with watery eyes when the moment came.

It took me ~8 hours to finish it, and another 4h speedrun to platinum it!

10/10

Frozone

What an incredible suprise of a game! I just found out about this on IGN and was like, no way is this GOTY contender with all the great PS4 exclusive hits out there. Boy was I wrong. An incredible looking game (especially the lighting and character design) and wonderful story so far!

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
Just finished it a couple of hours ago. Games like Hellblade are why I love video games, because I think it's the perfect medium for portraying something like this. I can't really imagine it working nearly as effectively as a movie, TV show, book or audio experience, because of the combinination of visuals(which are absolutely gorgeous), audio and storytelling, which makes for quite a unique experience.

It also got me thinking about how some people actually deal with stuff like this every day. The game did a great job of making me feel the tension and some of Senua's fear, but of course, being a video game, you can always just take a break and quit, if it's too much. Can't really do that in real life, which must be utterly terrifying, having to live with.

Pachimari

Just finished it a couple of hours ago. Games like Hellblade are why I love video games, because I think it's the perfect medium for portraying something like this. I can't really imagine it working nearly as effectively as a movie, TV show, book or audio experience, because of the combinination of visuals(which are absolutely gorgeous), audio and storytelling, which makes for quite a unique experience.
What about the visuals, audio and storytelling wouldn't be just as effective in movie format?

It also got me thinking about how some people actually deal with stuff like this every day. The game did a great job of making me feel the tension and some of Senua's fear, but of course, being a video game, you can always just take a break and quit, if it's too much. Can't really do that in real life, which must be utterly terrifying, having to live with.
I keep hearing about this fear stuff but what kind of of anxiety and depression does the game deal with? I want to know if it's something I would be able to relate to before I throw my cash at it.

I remember hearing a binaural audio clip years ago that was supposed to simulate what it's like to hear voices in your head, and I am actually shocked at how on the nose Hellblade got it. I know a lot of talk has been made about their mental health advisors, but it's clear after finishing the game that stuff wasn't just talk. They actually put their money where their mouth is.

NightOnyx

Started playing this today and it's fantastic so far. The audio in this game is incredible! I wouldn't call the game scary, but it really gives me a uncomfortable and eerie feeling that is unlike anything else I can think of. Gameplay is basic enough so far, but the story, graphic, and sound are really making this game something special to play through.

Theres a few times in the game where you're suppose to die and they dont do a good enough job of killing you, so i was surviving for 15 minutes wondering what to do next, thats my only complaint about the game.

This was one of the most intense games ive played in years and the story telling is astonishing, Ninja Theory is a really awesome developer and i really hope the game does well.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
What about the visuals, audio and storytelling wouldn't be just as effective in movie format?

I keep hearing about this fear stuff but what kind of of anxiety and depression does the game deal with? I want to know if it's something I would be able to relate to before I throw my cash at it.

It's the combination, really, I think is why I think it's so effective as a video game. Like, as an example, the binaural audio. The voices in Senua's head activate at specific points during the game and at varies depending on what you're currently doing or where you're heading. Because it's an action you take, it feels much more intimate(to me, anyway), that it would, if I was watching a character in a movie go through some inner struggle, because of the passivity.

Another point is the visuals. There are several points during the game, where you screen gets messed up in one way or another. This affect the gameplay, because it sometimes makes it harder to see or dodge enemies. So it plays directly into the gameplay portion of the game.

So basically, it's the interactivity, I'd say.

Regarding what kind of mental illness it deals with. It deals heavily with psychosis, as in hearing voices, not being able to tell what's real and what's not, experiencing flashbacks, seeing visions and so on. Not really with anxiety or depression, though Senua's struggle isn't an easy one for her to deal with.

I remember hearing a binaural audio clip years ago that was supposed to simulate what it's like to hear voices in your head, and I am actually shocked at how on the nose Hellblade got it. I know a lot of talk has been made about their mental health advisors, but it's clear after finishing the game that stuff wasn't just talk. They actually put their money where their mouth is.

Definitely. I'm so glad I read a few of the reviews before I bought it(a day after release), where I read that it was absolutely essential to play with headphones.

Pachimari

It's the combination, really, I think is why I think it's so effective as a video game. Like, as an example, the binaural audio. The voices in Senua's head activate at specific points during the game and at varies depending on what you're currently doing or where you're heading. Because it's an action you take, it feels much more intimate(to me, anyway), that it would, if I was watching a character in a movie go through some inner struggle, because of the passivity.

Another point is the visuals. There are several points during the game, where you screen gets messed up in one way or another. This affect the gameplay, because it sometimes makes it harder to see or dodge enemies. So it plays directly into the gameplay portion of the game.

So basically, it's the interactivity, I'd say.

Regarding what kind of mental illness it deals with. It deals heavily with psychosis, as in hearing voices, not being able to tell what's real and what's not, experiencing flashbacks, seeing visions and so on. Not really with anxiety or depression, though Senua's struggle isn't an easy one for her to deal with.
This makes much more sense. Thanks for explaining your opinion. :) So I guess this won't be the kind of anxiety I go through every day. I'm still very much interested because of the stuff you've been explaining. Might bite on it soon.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i got up to what seems like the final gauntlet and died after, like, seven waves of enemies and I was put back at the start. i know the game has adaptive difficulty, but I rage quit and I can't see myself going back to it.

it's cool.. I like the premise but (for lack of a better way of saying this) the pacing was kind of all over the place for me. i really like ninja theory and am happy to have bought this, but it isn't quite there for me. i admire the effort more than the result.

Alastor3

i got up to what seems like the final gauntlet and died after, like, seven waves of enemies and I was put back at the start. i know the game has adaptive difficulty, but I rage quit and I can't see myself going back to it.

it's cool.. I like the premise but (for lack of a better way of saying this) the pacing was kind of all over the place for me. i really like ninja theory and am happy to have bought this, but it isn't quite there for me. i admire the effort more than the result.

just put it on easy

Humdinger

I'm not sure anyone will fully "be able to relate," unless they have experienced a psychotic break themselves. It's not garden variety anxiety. It's the anguish and confusion of a person with psychosis. The anxiety has to do with a number of things -- like being attacked "from the outside," which is actually the inside. Think paranoia. Think trauma. Then multiply that several-fold and add hallucinations and the sense that the world is dark, grey, and out to get you. There is no safe ground. Your sense of self is disintegrating. You've always seen the world differently, but now something has cracked.

For me, it's not so much about "being able to relate" as it is about trying to understand (very partially) what it must be like.

Pachimari

Sounds interesting. The thing about relating is, that I am suffering from anxiety disorder myself and have had other diagnoses like depression and stuff earlier (not anymore thankfully) and would find it very intriguing if I could relate on any front. But it seems I won't be able to but that's no concern of me now since as you say, it's just as interesting getting to understand what it's like, especially since I've been close to so many people with different and serious diagnoses like we are in this game.

Humdinger

Sounds interesting. The thing about relating is, that I am suffering from anxiety disorder myself and have had other diagnoses like depression and stuff earlier (not anymore thankfully) and would find it very intriguing if I could relate on any front. But it seems I won't be able to but that's no concern of me now since as you say, it's just as interesting getting to understand what it's like, especially since I've been close to so many people with different and serious diagnoses like we are in this game.

I probably overstated things. I do think you'll find things to relate to. Anxiety, after all, is about perceiving too much danger where there is none (or where there is less danger than imagined). She certainly experiences that, so there will be common ground there. The difference will be that the "perceived danger" here will be so extreme, it takes the form of enemies that want to kill you and voices that laugh at you. Oh, and that last bit reminds me -- you might be able to relate to some of the 'inner critic' voices, too.

Grisby

This feature that's included with the game reminds me of those early ps3 days when we'd get a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff on the disc. Also, it's a fantastic insight on how NT came to make the game they made.

Top Bottom