• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

Plumpman

I played the last portions of the game without headphones cause my ears hurt.
Is it just my system, or is the sound mix really, really "off" without headphones?
Sounds were either too high or too low, no good balance.

There isn't an option I missed is there?

I played the last portions of the game without headphones cause my ears hurt.
Is it just my system, or is the sound mix really, really "off" without headphones?
Sounds were either too high or too low, no good balance.

There isn't an option I missed is there?

yeah trying to play on a regular 2/2.1 sound setup produces terrible results, no volume balancing at all.

I think it's bad design imo not to have a sound profile for people that will be playing without headphones (which I think would be quite a lot, if not half)

GavinUK86

I have a really good home theater with 7.1 speaker setup and a killer subwoofer. Would I really be better off playing with headphones?

Yes.

The idea is the voices are inside your head. If the audio isn't being pumped directly into your ears, it doesn't have the same effect.

Humdinger

Yes.

The idea is the voices are inside your head. If the audio isn't being pumped directly into your ears, it doesn't have the same effect.

Although, the voices still sound like they're coming from outside your head -- which of course they must, since there is no way to project internal voices. But they do sound much closer to you than they would on a surround sound setup.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Although, the voices still sound like they're coming from outside your head -- which of course they must, since there is no way to project internal voices. But they do sound much closer to you than they would on a surround sound setup.

Well there is a scene in particular where after a long walk with the voices berating you, Senua tells the voices to shut up and with headphones on Senua's voice really sounded like it was coming from where I was sitting while the voices just hung in my ears, I thought that was a really cool effect. So while you're right in that there is no way to properly project internal voices there are really clever tricks and way to contrast the locations the voices are being projected from to the point where you start to internalize the voices are being in your head. Which is something that hellblade pulls off near perfectly.

Just finished it. Wow, what a ride from start to finish. So affecting that I felt as if I was about to have a full-blown panic attack as I was playing it. One of the most powerful games i think I've ever played. Bonus points for having a Northern Irishman as the narrator of sorts.

As much as I loved it though, I will admit I'm really looking forward to going back to the colourful, happy-go-lucky world of Splatoon 2 - the main comparison I can think of in terms of the relentless brutality and ominous atmosphere is the original Berserk anime.

I've loved everything that Ninja Theory has put out, but this is the best of the lot for me.

Yes.

I get what you are saying, but I played half the game with a 5.1 surround and half with headphones ans I can't really tell which one is the best option.

All I know is this is the best audio in a videogame, ever.

Zemm

I'm really enjoying the game apart from the puzzles. They're just terrible and I feel like they're wasting my time every time I get to one. I believe the game would be better if they weren't there at all, it looks like they'll take the game from a potential 9/10 to something like a 7/10.

SenkiDala

I'm really enjoying the game apart from the puzzles. They're just terrible and I feel like they're wasting my time every time I get to one. I believe the game would be better if they weren't there at all, it looks like they'll take the game from a potential 9/10 to something like a 7/10.

Well I think the opposite. :D I love the puzzles they are fun (even though they are very easy) but the battles... Too many of them. They are too long and not entertaining since the battle system is not really deep (not bad though).

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

I liked the puzzles, they were very simple but they were integrated into the narrative really nicely and I feel are mostly used to try and get the player to actually look at their surroundings and take in the atmosphere and give some time for introspection. I think they mesh with the tone of the game very well. It's not like the game is about its combat (which i also found extremely satisfying) or the puzzles they're just elements that exist to move the narrative forward.

Zemm

They're incredibly finicky. Some will have the camera snap to the correct area from half a screen away, and some I have spotted pretty quickly but when I've gone to hover over them, they haven't clicked, causing me to waste 10 minutes searching an area only to come back and have it work with the spot I found first. It has just required pin point precision. They've just not been fun at all. They haven't even been useful in making me look around because I pretty much walk everywhere and take in every scene anyway.

The combat has been surprisingly fun though, it's simple but works well with what the game is trying to achieve. I can just do without the puzzles.

chekhonte

Stuck near the end of the game...The part where it's dark and your torch goes out when you have to pass through a waterfall.

I've died a lot due to the insta death.

It's the part after you drop the head being chased by the beast. You go down, past one rune door to another where the rune is shaped kind of like a capital M. You have to go through a waterfall the puts out your torch. I went to the right and pushed down a small metal walkway but after that I'm not sure what to do. There's a small hole in some metal bars that takes me to an area too long to survive in the dark but I don't know where to light my toarch.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whats the consensus on lenght, more or less?

6-ish hours?

Scoops312

Banned
I'm generally really liking the puzzles. I was expecting the symbol searching to be it in the same way that a Naughty Dog game introduces a basic puzzle mechanic and doesn't really expand upon it throughout the game. But almost every section in Hellblade is given a new idea or gimmick on top of the already introduced puzzle to keep it fresh, at least in my opinion.

I also really like the weightiness and simplicity of the combat, but think it would be greatly improved if enemies had a quarter less health.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
whats the consensus on lenght, more or less?

Took me about 7. I think it's a solid length for the story, it's well paced out.

Stuck near the end of the game...The part where it's dark and your torch goes out when you have to pass through a waterfall.

I've died a lot due to the insta death.

It's the part after you drop the head being chased by the beast. You go down, past one rune door to another where the rune is shaped kind of like a capital M. You have to go through a waterfall the puts out your torch. I went to the right and pushed down a small metal walkway but after that I'm not sure what to do. There's a small hole in some metal bars that takes me to an area too long to survive in the dark but I don't know where to light my toarch.

that area where you knocked the plank down has an alternate path to get to it through a small opening backtowards the way you came, you go there and light the torch there. Then you go through the waterfall so your torch goes out and sprint through, knock the plank down and make it safely to the place where you just lit the torch. Then you relight your torch and finish the puzzle on the other side of that waterfall

chekhonte

Took me about 7. I think it's a solid length for the story, it's well paced out.

that area where you knocked the plank down has an alternate path to get to it through a small opening backtowards the way you came, you go there and light the torch there. Then you go through the waterfall so your torch goes out and sprint through, knock the plank down and make it safely to the place where you just lit the torch. Then you relight your torch and finish the puzzle on the other side of that waterfall

thanks you so much. I was trying to do it backwards.

Also really good game. I bought it not sure if it would just sit unplayed in my steam library but the story and tension keeps me going.

Grisby

Yeah, the puzzles aren't great. I kind of wish they would have just put more effort into having more bosses since those are the highlights so far (apart from the visual presentation and the story of course).

Joeku

Also the only puzzle I got stuck on for any length of time. Silly me
not simply turning around and seeing the other path.

Turkoop

Banned
So, finished this masterpiece after ~8 hours.

I guess all players have understood how great this game is, it is in their own way a masterpiece and they've created a fantastic story.

But got a few questions:

1. What exactly has the father done to Senua? I know he locker her away so she couldn't spend time with Dillion, but what else?

2. So everything was in her head, the darkness has never existed but what about Druth?

A great game that won't be forgotten! I really enjoyed everything. Combat was nice but in the
Blood/Hell
level where the enemies showed up, this was very tough to beat.

b0bbyJ03

I have a friend over and I want him to experience the start of the game but I don't see any save options. Does anyone know if I start a new game if it will erase my current progress?

Jocund

But got a few questions:

1. What exactly has the father done to Senua? I know he locker her away so she couldn't spend time with Dillion, but what else?

2. So everything was in her head, the darkness has never existed but what about Druth?

1. Senua's father convinced both her and her mother that they were cursed, and that everything unfortunate that befell the village (the plague, the Northmen) was their fault. This obviously had an adverse effect on both women, to the point Senua's mother was burnt at the stake and Senua herself later fled Dillion to fight her "darkness."

2. The darkness was never real, but Druth was an actual person that Senua encountered while on her journey to rid herself of the darkness (during which time the Northmen raided the village and flayed Dillion.)

Turkoop

Banned
1. Senua's father convinced both her and her mother that they were cursed, and that everything unfortunate that befell the village (the plague, the Northmen) was their fault. This obviously had an adverse effect on both women, to the point Senua's mother was burnt at the stake and Senua herself later fled Dillion to fight her "darkness."

2. The darkness was never real, but Druth was an actual person that Senua encountered while on her journey to rid herself of the darkness (during which time the Northmen raided the village and flayed Dillion.)

Thank you!

Joeku

I have a friend over and I want him to experience the start of the game but I don't see any save options. Does anyone know if I start a new game if it will erase my current progress?

Seems like it. Create a new profile on whatever system you're playing it on, or back up your save first.

Lokimaru

Loving it so far, games got a real Silent Hill 2 vibe. I've been noticing some flashes when enemies attack, is this game like HS where you can do crazy counters like this:

Nariko-Piledriver-Death_fix.gif

Well maybe not like that.

DirtyLarry

Just confirming, this game does not have HDR right?
I just got an HDR enabled TV 2 days ago and so far every game that does support it I get a little icon. Did not get it with this game, and I want to make sure that is correct.
Would have been great if it does as it looks absolutely killer.

Perineum

They're incredibly finicky. Some will have the camera snap to the correct area from half a screen away, and some I have spotted pretty quickly but when I've gone to hover over them, they haven't clicked, causing me to waste 10 minutes searching an area only to come back and have it work with the spot I found first. It has just required pin point precision. They've just not been fun at all. They haven't even been useful in making me look around because I pretty much walk everywhere and take in every scene anyway.

The combat has been surprisingly fun though, it's simple but works well with what the game is trying to achieve. I can just do without the puzzles.

I almost flushed the game today and was going to say fuck it. Solved a puzzle on my own multiple times, but the game wasn't counting it, thus me wasting 20+ minutes. Looked up a guide online, roared WTF, because that's what I did earlier. Then suddenly, without me doing anything, it triggered the next part and solved itself...

No issues since, but man stuff like that should be a focus for a lower budget title. Finicky shit and bug testing needs to be top of the list. Luckily the rest of the game has been bull shit free for me thus far.

The music that played on the bride fight once you open the fire and illusion gate where you fight a multitude of dudes. The viking voices singing was incredible.

DukeBobby

I'm just about to
start the four trials to get the sword
. I'm guessing I'm around the halfway point, right?

I'm really enjoying it so far, aside from the samey puzzles. It could be a surprise entry in my top 10 come the end of the year.

Anustart

Was liking the game but I have no time for finding hidden objects in a sea of shit. Too bad, was interesting til then.
Edit: Seriously, is the whole game this lame ass shit?

I found an alternate path and was confronted with another "HEY, try to line up this shape with what could be fucking anything among a sea of anything!"

jett

D-Member

I feel the same. They're just a waste of time. I don't really like traversing in this game at all. I'd prefer if there was more combat.

Demoskinos

Such an amazing game. Just finished. Going to fix some dinner and watch the feature on the main menu.

Ninja Theory deserves this to be a success.

Anustart

Nevermind. Uninstalled. There is 0 fun in the shape in a sea of shapes game here. Story might have been alright but everything else was lame as fuck.

Joeku

Nevermind. Uninstalled. There is 0 fun in the shape in a sea of shapes game here. Story might have been alright but everything else was lame as fuck.

Sorry it didn't work for you. The rest of what the game is is worth putting up with that system (which itself gets more interesting as the game goes on). But hey, it's not for everyone. At least watch a playthrough. It's worth experiencing.

Humdinger

One thing people may not appreciate about the puzzles is that the mechanic reflects an aspect of mental illness. People with paranoid delusions will search the environment for clues in unrelated things that "match" their delusions. They search the environment carefully in order to find clues to what things "really mean," and they tie together random bits of data in a way that supports their delusion.

I see the game's puzzles as reflecting that aspect of mental illness.

However, I do agree that they feel overdone.

One thing people may not appreciate about the puzzles is that the mechanic reflects an aspect of mental illness. People with paranoid delusions will search the environment for clues in unrelated things that "match" their delusions. They search the environment carefully in order to find clues to what things "really mean," and they tie together random bits of data in a way that supports their delusion.

I agree with this post entirely.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Holy shit, I had no idea. That even matches up with how the voices say things like "You don't know what they even mean"

Perineum

I called it for the evening. Getting close to Fafnir. Got to a room the size of my pinky to fight 3 guys with only a torch on the ground for light. Died twice, and said fuck it. Combat in this game has been 0 issues, but try fighting 3 guys in a room where you are constantly at the wall so you can't properly evade...and yeah it turns to hot shit real quick.

EekTheKat

I actually kind of like the combat in this game after playing around with it a bit more, the whole thing feels very grounded and some of the moves are really nicely animated and blend very well together. It can look almost seamless at times if you time your moves correctly.

It sort of captures the feel of a one on one brawler between a giant viking and a woman 1/3rd his size very well. I'd slash the hell out of him with a flurry of follow ups and he'd occasionally just smack me and send me flying with one power hit.

It gets really interesting when they throw multiple opponents at you, and the voice in Senua's head almost acts like your cornerman yelling out instructions to you mid fight.

I would love to play a mini survival mode of sorts. It's not the deepest combat system in the world, but it does its job admirably and fights can be strangely cathartic at times.

diaspora

5GUTbmf.jpg

So is the game worth it Narrative wise?
I'm mostly a story over gameplay person.

It might be the best story I've ever experienced in a video game. If not top of the heap, it's very close.

I think it did a better job with its story than entirely story-driven games like Gone Home, Tacoma, Firewatch, etc.

More than just the story, the tone and atmosphere of the game is incredibly palpable. I felt anxious and on edge just watching the events on screen play out. It affected me emotionally on a level rarely achieved by games.

Sorry for gushing, I just can't get over how much I appreciate this game.

Top Bottom